CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Canucks picking at number 7 will have their pick of:

Perlini, Virtanen, Nylander, Ritchie, Ehlers

I like Ritchie or Perlini.

Followed by Virtanen or Ehlers

lastly Nylander

You are one of the few posters I've seen in the last couple months who still has Perlini in that tier. Thoughts on why so bullish? Common concern seems to be his compete level and role as a finisher rather than some who drives the play himself.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'd lose my **** if we took Perlini over Ritchie or Ehlers.

He reeks of Taylor Pyatt. Has size but doesn't use it with a good shot.

He had one excellent month where he put up over 2PPG and then he tailed off considerably. His playoffs were terrible as well, one point in seven games.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I'd lose my **** if we took Perlini over Ritchie or Ehlers.

He reeks of Taylor Pyatt. Has size but doesn't use it with a good shot.

He had one excellent month where he put up over 2PPG and then he tailed off considerably. His playoffs were terrible as well, one point in seven games.

This. So much this.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Hansen and the 6th to get into the top 3?

I wouldn't even need to think once to do that.

Trading players with picks to move up in the draft never happens.

It's always a multitude of picks, not players.

Last one I can think of was:

Samuelson plus 3rd OV + 2nd round to Florida for 1st OV (Fleury) + 3rd round.

It just doesn't happen.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Toronto traded up from 7 to 5 with the Islanders in 2008 draft. Believe the kicker was a 2nd round pick to move up 2 spots. But ya it doesn't happen often. Still doesn't mean it can't, as teams' circumstances typically don't warrant it. Ours may.

I think the Islander picked 9th. They moved up 4 spots with a 2nd round pick.

Moving up 3-4 spots from 6th to 2nd/3rd would presumably require a much steeper price.

I'd do our first, Hansen and even a 2nd/3rd to move up and nab Reinhart or Bennett.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
So with Calgary now in 4th and NYI in 5th does anyone think this impacts how the top 5 plays out? Does this make Snow more likely to "reach" for someone like Ritchie or Ehlers? No difference?

Also on the good news front, Phoenix won their game with Dallas, which drops Ottawa's pick back to #10. If we were to acquire it in a deal with Anaheim it keeps us a little bit closer to one of the potential 2nd tier 'fallers' (ie. Nylander) or gives us a better shot at the next tier than #11.

A good night all around with the major exception of Daniel's injury of course :(

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Moving up 3-4 spots from 6th to 2nd/3rd would presumably require a much steeper price.

I'd do our first, Hansen and even a 2nd/3rd to move up and nab Reinhart or Bennett.

Not quite. Islanders traded down twice in that draft. From 5 to 7 with Toronto, then again from 7 to 9 with Nashville. Picked up a slew of 2nd and 3rd round picks in the moves, not sure if Hamonic was one of them or their own original 2nd rounder.

arsmaster*

So with Calgary now in 4th and NYI in 5th does anyone think this impacts how the top 5 plays out? Does this make Snow more likely to "reach" for someone like Ritchie or Ehlers? No difference?

Also on the good news front, Phoenix won their game with Dallas, which drops Ottawa's pick back to #10. If we were to acquire it in a deal with Anaheim it keeps us a little bit closer to one of the potential 2nd tier 'fallers' (ie. Nylander) or gives us a better shot at the next tier than #11.

A good night all around with the major exception of Daniel's injury of course :(

I think it makes Snow more likely to let this pick go to Buffalo.

arsmaster*

The Islanders traded down TWICE in 2008. 5th to 7th, and then 7th to 9th.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011

I can see Calgary going for Dal Colle firstmost (with Draisaitl and Ritchie afterwards) which changes the Islanders aim to get a winger to play with Tavares. Islanders may want to reach for Ehlers or Ritchie to play with Tavares which leaves us one of the top 5 to take, most likely Draisaitl though I could see Ekblad falling if Edmonton is super high on Draisaitl.

Edit: arsmaster raises an excellent point. If Buffalo gets the pick, I can definitely see them going for whoever is left out of the top 5, which leaves us Ehlers/Nylander/Ritchie.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

A good night all around with the major exception of Daniel's injury of course

I think Snow will get rid of that pick and find immediate help. If he doesn't, I hope he reaches for Ehlers.

Calgary at 4th overall, you'd have to think they'll take Dal Colle with a small chance in Ritchie.

Looks like we may very well end up with Draisaitl.

I'd acquire Ottawa's pick and move that along with ours for the Oilers or Panther's pick.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Not quite. Islanders traded down twice in that draft. From 5 to 7 with Toronto, then again from 7 to 9 with Nashville. Picked up a slew of 2nd and 3rd round picks in the moves, not sure if Hamonic was one of them or their own original 2nd rounder.

I stand corrected.

Then it looks like moving into the top 3 will be tough.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
How about our 2nd round pick this year? Feels like it's been forever since we picked in the first half of the second round. Any avid scouters out there have a read on who might be available around our pick?

Having no idea about who or what kinds of players are going to be available at pick #36, I would love for us to use this pick on an offensive, power play QB defenseman if there is one around our pick.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
I can see Calgary going for Dal Colle firstmost (with Draisaitl and Ritchie afterwards) which changes the Islanders aim to get a winger to play with Tavares. Islanders may want to reach for Ehlers or Ritchie to play with Tavares which leaves us one of the top 5 to take, most likely Draisaitl though I could see Ekblad falling if Edmonton is super high on Draisaitl.

Edit: arsmaster raises an excellent point. If Buffalo gets the pick, I can definitely see them going for whoever is left out of the top 5, which leaves us Ehlers/Nylander/Ritchie.

if Sabres win the lottery and also get the islanders pick......you think they take both Sam?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Someone posted this a few days ago, attempts to determine relative value of draft picks by examining historical trades involving picks only.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up

Several caveats but the author reported a good-fit by the model. Suggests we could move up from 6 to 3 by including a late first (which we don't have) or a high second and another late round pick. If we did a Kesler deal with Anaheim that nabbed us both their late 20's pick and Ottawa's 1st, I could see Florida maybe moving down for our #6 and late first and perhaps a small kicker on top. May not be worth doing so but I probably would in order to get an ultra-competitive kid like Bennett. He isn't the perfect prospect but I like any kid whose top attributes are competitiveness and hockey sense.

arsmaster*

I don't see Buffalo serious contemplating Draisatl. He's the one I think "falls", but I hope its MDC.

Draisatl is similar to Grigorenko, I could see them taking a fan friendly dangler like Nylander or Ehlers 5th if they get Reinhart or Bennett with their first picks.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Personally I don't think Calgary falling to 4 is a good thing for Vancouver, despite what some people earlier may have thought (don't know why someone would be wishing for this). It probably makes them less likely to reach for a guy like Nylander, and I don't see them taking Ritchie there either.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
I don't see Buffalo serious contemplating Draisatl. He's the one I think "falls", but I hope its MDC.

Draisatl is similar to Grigorenko, I could see them taking a fan friendly dangler like Nylander or Ehlers 5th if they get Reinhart or Bennett in their first two picks.

Good point. Buffalo is pretty center heavy especially after drafting Reinhart or Bennett most likely.

I don't see Dal Colle falling to be honest. Draisaitl more likely then and I would be perfectly fine with that.

Burrows Bite

Jul 4, 2011
I just don't feel good trading Kesler to Anaheim anymore. But if we meet them in first round of the playoffs next year? It could really backfire in our faces.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I just don't feel good trading Kesler to Anaheim anymore. But if we meet them in first round of the playoffs next year? It could really backfire in our faces.

You can't worry about those one off situations. Yes, you should charge a premium for inter division trades, but no you can't fret and not do deals because there's a change that we play that player in the playoffs.

Someone posted this a few days ago, attempts to determine relative value of draft picks by examining historical trades involving picks only.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up

Several caveats but the author reported a good-fit by the model. Suggests we could move up from 6 to 3 by including a late first (which we don't have) or a high second and another late round pick. If we did a Kesler deal with Anaheim that nabbed us both their late 20's pick and Ottawa's 1st, I could see Florida maybe moving down for our #6 and late first and perhaps a small kicker on top. May not be worth doing so but I probably would in order to get an ultra-competitive kid like Bennett. He isn't the perfect prospect but I like any kid whose top attributes are competitiveness and hockey sense.

There was a CBJ behind the draft video out there and they had a binder with all the values of the picks, and they were getting offers and referencing the binder to see if the value was on par. Thought it was pretty interesting.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Personally I don't think Calgary falling to 4 is a good thing for Vancouver, despite what some people earlier may have thought (don't know why someone would be wishing for this). It probably makes them less likely to reach for a guy like Nylander, and I don't see them taking Ritchie there either.

It's not really a good thing, I agree. Didn't want them coming anywhere near Dal Colle or Bennett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad