2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 4

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
michael-maccarron.jpg

He was a projected 2nd or 3rd line player, a long term project. Give him a chance. Next season will tell a lot about his futur...
Last year, do we had some players availables as good as Scherbak is right now when we selected McCarron?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He was a projected 2nd or 3rd line player, a long term project. Give him a chance. Next season will tell a lot about his futur...
Last year, do we had some players availables as good as Scherbak is right now when we selected McCarron?

Probably better.

Zykov, Erne, DLR, Dauphin, Petan, Sorensen Klimchuck, Dickinson and Hartman.

I would've much rather have picked Zykov or Klimchuck and nastasiuk instead of DLR and McCarron IMO.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
So here's how I'm feeling.....

I really like where we picked Scherbak and Audette. I think they're both excellent value and fill a need for us (skilled top-6 forward). Don't care about Audette's size, he's a fifth round pick and his offensive skill level is near 1st round material. Happy about those two.

Can't say I'm overly excited about Lernout or Koberstein. I haven't had a chance to watch them so my only real issue is that there were other players available who I had seen and liked. Koberstein seems like a total shot in the dark and I'm not sure Lernout was worth moving up for. However, I'd rather they take chances on big guys with the late picks rather than our early ones (*McCarron*). If Lernout can round out his game and become a two-way defenceman, he absolutely fills a need in our system.

Really don't have an opinion on Evans or Hawkey.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
Probably better.

Zykov, Erne, DLR, Dauphin, Petan, Sorensen Klimchuck, Dickinson and Hartman.

I would've much rather have picked Zykov or Klimchuck and nastasiuk instead of DLR and McCarron IMO.

I don't think I like any of these guys better than Scherbak.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
1 26 NIKITA SCHERBAK RW 6' 1" 175
WHL SASKATOON

Love the pick, didn't think he would be available at 26th.

3 73 BRETT LERNOUT D 6' 4" 206
WHL SWIFT CURRENT

Don't know much about him, I don't like the fact that we gave a pick to get him but I'll trust the scouting staff

5 125 NIKOLAS KOBERSTEIN D 6' 1" 180

Don't know anything about him. was rank 200+, Even is mom is wonder what Mtl saw in him... I didn't find any credible scouting report on him... I hope to god that I'm wrong but I calling it right now ... wasted pick

5 147 DANIEL AUDETTE C 5' 8"175
QMJHL SHERBROOKE

Lot of skills but too small, even if is size probably stop him from taken the next step at this point in the draft I don't mind take a chance on a guy that dominated at every level he played at.

6 177 HAYDEN HAWKEY G 6' 1" 180
USHL OMAHA

Seem to have lot of potentiel, top Goalie in the USHL, my favorite pick of day 2.

7 207 JAKE EVANS C/RW 6' 0" 172
OJHL ST. MICHAELS

Did late in the draft it doesn't really matter, this is where you should draft a guy like NIKOLAS KOBERSTEIN

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Oilers took that guy the Habs invited to their combine last year, Liam Coughlin, in the 6th round. The one Pat Hickey wrote about in the Gazette, saying he was Timmins' sleeper.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Who wants to play....."Who would you pick then you armchair scouts?"

1st round: Scherbak is FINE with me. I could have gone Kempe though or Barbashev.
3rd round (let's use the one Habs traded for): Siebnaler or Walman
5th round: Most definately Mayo or Gersich, outside chance to Joshua
5th round: Audette is fine. If not Haydon or Irving
6th round: Hawkey is fine. Maybe Mistele though. Or Perron. Or my Swedish boys Holmstrom or Engelstal
7th round: Any of the other 3....or tons of other non-draftees. In order, probably Watson, Middleton or Ramsey.

That would be MUCH MUCH more sexy. But maybe would end up WAY MORE terrible. That is a draft for time. We'll give Timmins and his draftees some time. One thing though....2015 is A GREAT draft. I hope it's way more FOR THE PRESENT OR NEAR FUTURE....as much as it's still is a PROSPECT draft....

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Not every player drafted will make it. It's a calculated crapshoot. What I do know is Timmins and his team are already working on next years draft. Thousands of man hours go into what we watched in the past 24 hours. That is why I won't criticize what players they picked, they did their homework and based on that homework they picked the players we saw picked in the past 24 hours. Trying to project a teenager and how he will develop is a heck of a challenge...in Timmins and his staff I trust!

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia

Yup, which is exactly why I posted the photo. 3rd line = bottom six. Just saying. I posted it in response to the guy who said "no way Timmins would burn a 1st round pick on a projected bottom 6 player." Didn't post it to bash Big Mac
I hope he can be a top 6 player, but I believe most people thought he projected to be a 3rd liner.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
That would be MUCH MUCH more sexy. But maybe would end up WAY MORE terrible. That is a draft for time. We'll give Timmins and his draftees some time. One thing though....2015 is A GREAT draft. I hope it's way more FOR THE PRESENT OR NEAR FUTURE....as much as it's still is a PROSPECT draft....

I won't ever celebrate a "sexy" draft again after 2012.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
But it's the EXTRA LONG route for this draft. I don't think we've ever had 2 draftees that will play below NCAA or CHL AFTER their draft year. Will happen with Hawkey in the USHL next year and Koberstein in Junior A. At least Evans will go in the NCAA in September.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
But it's the EXTRA LONG route for this draft. I don't think we've ever had 2 draftees that will play below NCAA or CHL AFTER their draft year. Will happen with Hawkey in the USHL next year and Koberstein in Junior A. At least Evans will go in the NCAA in September.

Is there any chance this was done deliberately to space out our prospects? I can't really think of a concrete scenario in which it makes sense but it seems like the forward thinking sort of stuff Timmins likes. Weird nonetheless.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Is there any chance this was done deliberately to space out our prospects? I can't really think of a concrete scenario in which it makes sense but it seems like the forward thinking sort of stuff Timmins likes. Weird nonetheless.

It make sense in the lower rounds, players born in late July and August are still very young.

Among the top 4 you could clearly see it, Sam Bennet(june20 96) was almost 1 year younger than the other picks who are '95 or early '96. At 17-18 it's a big deal.

September 95

to

August 96

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
My take on the draft:

Nikita Scherbak: Incredible pick. This guy is a legit top offensive talent in this draft, he has a great frame, big hands and feet, has room to pack on muscle, protects the puck well, silky smooth hands, incredible vision, understands the game and wants to learn, character kid, great personality, will mesh well with our young talent and has a hard accurate wrist shot.

Brett Lernout: A guy I targeted but not one I wanted to trade a pick for to move up to get. Looking at the player as a whole, he has a decent chance of making it as a bottom pairing defenseman. Apparently he's great in the locker room and on the ice he's a maniac. Hits everything, all the time. Lets you know when he is on the ice by being physical and is great at clearing the crease. Willing combatant to drop the gloves and protect teammates or beat you up because he wants to. I like the player don't like the move up to grab him.

Nikolas Koberstein: This is the WTF pick for me. If he is under the radar, couldn't we have waited longer to grab him? I know nothing about him. I don't know who was interested. I don't know what type of defenseman he is projected to be. There is literally no information on this kid so I will wait to see when more information comes out.

Daniel Audette: He's small, he's talented, son of someone in the organization. Don't like that he doesn't have natural finishing ability. The scouting report reminds me of David Desharnais. If we get a guy who can score at any point in the league, even if it is through soft minutes with our best players, it's a better pick than most in the 5th.

Hayden Hawkey: Great pick. USHL goaltender of the year. Has NHL size, incredible lateral movement, is apparently a big play goaltender being required and able to make breakaway saves in critical moments of the game. Looking forward to seeing more of him as a fellow goalie myself.

Jake Evans: Love this 7th rounder. Has great finishing ability that he needs to use more of, has great outside speed, likes to pass and exemplifies good vision. Has elite puck skills in the offensive end. Stands up for himself after the whistle so for an average sized offensive player he doesn't take ****. Consistency, desire and implication need to improve but that's why he's a 7th rounder.

Solid draft considering no 2nd round pick and we picked late in most rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad