Pre-Game Talk: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Someone may have more info on it, but I just got a text from someone at the Giants game saying "Joe hicketts just slipped into the boards so hard. It was absolutely ruthless. Looked like a broken back"

Hopefully it's not too serious, I doubt it's a broken back but it could be big.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Someone may have more info on it, but I just got a text from someone at the Giants game saying "Joe hicketts just slipped into the boards so hard. It was absolutely ruthless. Looked like a broken back"

Oh crap...I hope he's ok....

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Ya lets do it! But then we'd lose another goalie....so it's never gunna happen :cry:

That's why we have 2 decent goalies in the AHL. Next up, MG goes to the SEL again and picks up another goalie while we continue to trade Luongo's backup for 1st round picks... :laugh:

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver

Ouch.... Hope he's alright.

Since I have access to CHL games now, I watched part of the Halifax-Moncton game. Ehlers looked pretty good. Made some nice passes and plays which resulted in a couple of goals but didn't see him much along the boards. Conor Garland was someone who was noticeable for the right reasons. Tried to see where he's projected to go but wasn't on any of the pre-draft rankings I looked at. Any idea where he's projected to go?

50 Shades of Vey

Vey is Grey
Sep 30, 2013
First thing I noticed as well.

Someone I'm definitely interested in seeing develop is Draisatl. Was solid as a 17-year old at the U-20, I have a feeling he's going to end up going top-3 by the end of the year.

Would love Draisatl too. Imagine the centre depth we would have if we had him too.:amazed:

Tanevian*

Based on the lists so far, looks like we get Mattsson or Pepin.

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
Is this draft stronger or weaker than the 2013 one?

It appears to be weaker...
Because I have heard that Reinhart would only be...
About a top 5 in last year's draft.

The way you type rustles my jimmies

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
I am very interested in Virtanen. I just have a good feeling about his future. I dont think he will be available when the Canucks draft 30th overall though(Elite Team Problems).

In all seriousness though, it looks like a relatively weak year overall. Maybe that is just last years apparent bounty colouring my perception.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I am very interested in Virtanen. I just have a good feeling about his future. I dont think he will be available when the Canucks draft 30th overall though(Elite Team Problems).

In all seriousness though, it looks like a relatively weak year overall. Maybe that is just last years apparent bounty colouring my perception.

Virtanen is money, there was some talk that he was up to 220 lbs this summer.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I'd like to try and target an offensive defenseman, it's probably the biggest hole in or prospect group.

I like Brycen Martin, if he's around when we pick.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Virtanen is money, there was some talk that he was up to 220 lbs this summer.

Wow, that is nuts. These kids are getting huge in their draft years.

He turned out pretty good when I drafted him in my NHL 13 BeAGM, so there is that going for him too.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Roland McKeown

Doubt there is any chance this guy drops to you, but the way d-men have dropped lately in the draft, who knows?

He’s described by many as a franchise player at the junior level – a player you build your team around. It should be a great battle between McKeown and Aaron Ekblad as the number 1 defenseman to be drafted at the NHL Draft.

We had the opportunity to speak with Frontenac’s head scout Jeff McKercher:

ITO: There is no question Roland is an excellent skater who possesses extraordinary offensive abilities. How has his defensive game developed?

McKercher: Roland's really improved his defensive game as you can see by his +9 rating right now but I think the biggest thing for him is he got a lot stronger over the summer and this has really helped him out. Let’s face it, it’s tough for any 16yr old to come into our league and then we ask him to play 20 plus minutes a night against quite often the other team's top lines like he did last year. You won't find many 16yr olds that can do what he did. He's really taken his defensive game to another level and it’s been good to see.

http://ohlwriters.com/articles/roland-mckeown-kingston-frontenacs-player-profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad