Pre-Game Talk: 2014 NHL Entry Draft (for non-6th overall pick discussion) - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Does anyone know what time the draft starts?
TSN has posted their schedule about all draft related stuff.

Bob McKenzie's Draft Ranking (TSN)
Monday, June 23 at 7:30pm et/4:30pm pt
NHL Draft in 30 Minutes: 1994 Draft (TSN)
Monday, June 23 at 8pm et/5pm pt
2014 NHL Mock Draft (TSN)
Tuesday, June 24 at 7:30pm et/4:30pm pt
Playing To Lose: The Lemieux Draft (TSN)
Tuesday, June 24 at 8pm et/5pm pt
2014 NHL Draft Preview (TSN2)
Thursday, June 26 at 7:30pm et/4:30pm pt
2014 NHL Draft (TSN)
Friday, June 27 at 7pm et/4pm pt

Anxiously waiting to see Bobs final rankings to see who will be available at 36 onwards.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
TSN has posted their schedule about all draft related stuff.

Bob McKenzie's Draft Ranking (TSN)
Monday, June 23 at 7:30pm et/4:30pm pt
NHL Draft in 30 Minutes: 1994 Draft (TSN)
Monday, June 23 at 8pm et/5pm pt
2014 NHL Mock Draft (TSN)
Tuesday, June 24 at 7:30pm et/4:30pm pt
Playing To Lose: The Lemieux Draft (TSN)
Tuesday, June 24 at 8pm et/5pm pt
2014 NHL Draft Preview (TSN2)
Thursday, June 26 at 7:30pm et/4:30pm pt
2014 NHL Draft (TSN)
Friday, June 27 at 7pm et/4pm pt

Anxiously waiting to see Bobs final rankings to see who will be available at 36 onwards.

Where do i have to point my satellite dish to receive TSN here in Germany? :D

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
alright here's the first half of the 2nd round

31.Nick Schmaltz,RW, U.S NTDP USHL-50+Pt skill winger C
32.Thatcher Demko,G, BC HE-Starting Goalie C
33.Brett Pollock,LW, Edmonton WHL-45+Pt power winger C
34.Brendan Lemieux,LW, Barrie OHL-35+Pt grinding winger B
35.Eric Cornel,C/RW, Petebourgh OHL-40+Pt two-way C C

36.Jonathan Mcleod,D, U.S NTDP USHL-20+Pt D B
37.Marcus Pettersson,D, Skelleftea SHL-25+Pt two-way D C
38.Ryan Macinnis,C, Kitchener OHL-35+Pt Powerforward C
39.John Quenville,C, Brandon WHL-30+Pt two-way C B
40.Brayden Point,C/LW, Moose Jaw WHL-40+Pt skill forward C

41.Vladislav,C/LW, Magnitogorsk KHL-40+ two-way c C
42.Alex Nedeljkovic,G, Plymouth OHL-Starting Goalie C
43.Domink Maskin,D, HC Slavia Cze-25+Pt gritty D C
44.Nicolas Aube-Kubel,C/RW, Val D'Or QMJHL-40+ two-way forward C
45 Ryan Donato,C/Rw, Dexter USHS-40+Pt scoring winger C

The rest of the second round will be up tomorrow.

Thanks for that.Aside from Lemieux and Pollock there's not much that gets me excited about who might be available in the second round unless there's a faller from the first.Demko likely has the highest upside and would be the BPA if he's available but really,we need bolster our prospect depth in every category except goal.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Thanks for that.Aside from Lemieux and Pollock there's not much that gets me excited about who might be available in the second round unless there's a faller from the first.Demko likely has the highest upside and would be the BPA if he's available but really,we need bolster our prospect depth in every category except goal.

I'm excited for this, built my entire man cave in anticipation for this day.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

:laugh: It's funny that you inadvertently managed to single out two of the guys i'm least excited about in that potential range. And the goalie i'm not that interested in. :D

Really just goes to show how wide open this draft could be outside of the top couple tiers though.

I'd also argue that we could certainly stand to bolster our prospect depth in net. Beyond Lack and Markstrom, there's not a lot to be excited about and it takes a good while for goaltenders to "arrive". Unless you're really high on Eriksson as more than a potentially serviceable backup eventually.

I don't really get the appeal with Lemieux though, aside from "bloodlines" and "he can be extremely irritating on the ice", neither of which are things i get too jacked up about.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC

I really like Vlad Kamenev, and Nick Aube-Kubel... Both have the potential too be major steals imo. Vlad has been a steady riser for me all year, and I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he's taken as early as the mid to late first round.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
alright here's the first half of the 2nd round

31.Nick Schmaltz,RW, U.S NTDP USHL-50+Pt skill winger C
32.Thatcher Demko,G, BC HE-Starting Goalie C
33.Brett Pollock,LW, Edmonton WHL-45+Pt power winger C
34.Brendan Lemieux,LW, Barrie OHL-35+Pt grinding winger B
35.Eric Cornel,C/RW, Petebourgh OHL-40+Pt two-way C C

36.Jonathan Mcleod,D, U.S NTDP USHL-20+Pt D B
37.Marcus Pettersson,D, Skelleftea SHL-25+Pt two-way D C
38.Ryan Macinnis,C, Kitchener OHL-35+Pt Powerforward C
39.John Quenville,C, Brandon WHL-30+Pt two-way C B
40.Brayden Point,C/LW, Moose Jaw WHL-40+Pt skill forward C

41.Vladislav,C/LW, Magnitogorsk KHL-40+ two-way c C
42.Alex Nedeljkovic,G, Plymouth OHL-Starting Goalie C
43.Domink Maskin,D, HC Slavia Cze-25+Pt gritty D C
44.Nicolas Aube-Kubel,C/RW, Val D'Or QMJHL-40+ two-way forward C
45 Ryan Donato,C/Rw, Dexter USHS-40+Pt scoring winger C

The rest of the second round will be up tomorrow.

Nice work OEL for Norris. Certainly seems a lot more realistic than HF would have you believe at times, particularly for the early 1st round.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I really like Vlad Kamenev, and Nick Aube-Kubel... Both have the potential too be major steals imo. Vlad has been a steady riser for me all year, and I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he's taken as early as the mid to late first round.

OK,TBH I know very little about either of them except we've avoided drafting from the Q for a couple years now and basically every D-man we've chosen from there has been a huge disappointment so Aube-Kubel did'nt catch my interest at all.

Similar story with the Russian as we have'nt picked one in years and the good ones we did are all playing in the KHL now.I can't see JB taking a chance with our second rounder on a Russian when our prospect pool is so shallow and he's looking to make a good impression as a newly minted GM.

:laugh: It's funny that you inadvertently managed to single out two of the guys i'm least excited about in that potential range. And the goalie i'm not that interested in. :D

Really just goes to show how wide open this draft could be outside of the top couple tiers though.

I'd also argue that we could certainly stand to bolster our prospect depth in net. Beyond Lack and Markstrom, there's not a lot to be excited about and it takes a good while for goaltenders to "arrive". Unless you're really high on Eriksson as more than a potentially serviceable backup eventually.

I don't really get the appeal with Lemieux though, aside from "bloodlines" and "he can be extremely irritating on the ice", neither of which are things i get too jacked up about.

I think between Lack,Markstrom,and Eriksson we're pretty set for good young goaltenders as at least two of them should become NHL starters.Lack has shown he can be a starting goaltender,Markstrom needs some work on his technique but could be great,Eriksson improved by leaps in bounds in his first year in NA and could get even better with more experience over here.

I really like Lemieux's compete level,tenacity, and versatility and think he has the skillset to be a great third liner who could move up to play on a second line in a pinch.He'd be one of those guys that other teams would hate to play against but you'd love to have on your team,sort of like vintage Ryan Kesler.

I'm excited for this, built my entire man cave in anticipation for this day.

I'm beyond stoked to see what happens in the first round and will be glued to the screen on Friday night with my phones turned off and lots of tasty snacks.I feel like a little kid with two weeks to go before X-mas morning.:xbg:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Similar story with the Russian as we have'nt picked one in years and the good ones we did are all playing in the KHL now.I can't see JB taking a chance with our second rounder on a Russian when our prospect pool is so shallow and he's looking to make a good impression as a newly minted GM.

I don't think Benning will be hesitant to draft "Russians" per se. Russians who have come over to play in North America will probably be fair game based on his history, and league-wide tendencies. Benning is reported to be a big force behind the Bruins selecting Alex Khokhlachev, a Russian from the CHL. There's a good handful of Russian CHLers to look at in the 1st+2nd round this year too.

But Russians currently playing in Russia, with a somewhat questionable desire to come to the NHL if offered more money in the KHL...are something to be legitimately wary of, and i'd expect Benning to approach it similarly.

I think between Lack,Markstrom,and Eriksson we're pretty set for good young goaltenders as at least two of them should become NHL starters.Lack has shown he can be a starting goaltender,Markstrom needs some work on his technique but could be great,Eriksson improved by leaps in bounds in his first year in NA and could get even better with more experience over here.

Have to agree to disagree on that i guess. I think Lack has proven to be shaky at best as a full-time workhorse starter (granted, overworked but he still hasn't proven he can absolutely carry the load at a high level). Markstrom is an enormous project, and i'm really not that high on him. Great tools, but far from a likely NHL starter at this point, and i have some real reservations about the fact that he manages to consistently underachieve from what he's projected to do. Eriksson had an "okayish" season in the AHL, but he's already 24 years old, and guys who perform as he did in the American League are dime a dozen these days. Certainly nothing in the neighbourhood of being as impressive as Schneider and Lack in that regard. Guys who are potentially bound for a starters role in the Bigs.

You don't want to ignore the goaltending pipeline until it becomes desperate. It really wouldn't hurt to get some more irons in the fire there...especially when you're talking about the amount of extra time goaltenders can often take to develop...you often end up with them in the CHL/NCAA/Euro Leagues for a number of years then spending a few years in the AHL honing their craft. It's a unique position that takes time to build up to the NHL.

I'm not saying i'd spend our 2nd round pick on the position, but i'd like to add something to the pipeline in this draft and start the clock on development of someone with Starter Upside. Maybe we get a kick at Nedeljkovic or Kahkonen in the 3rd round or later. Tons of other guys i'm not at all familiar with from like the USHL and similar. But just adding something to the pipeline that the scouts see something in.

I really like Lemieux's compete level,tenacity, and versatility and think he has the skillset to be a great third liner who could move up to play on a second line in a pinch.He'd be one of those guys that other teams would hate to play against but you'd love to have on your team,sort of like vintage Ryan Kesler.

I don't see Lemieux as necessarily having the same defensive prowess as Kesler though. To me, he's more like a "poor man's" Brad Marchand, though slightly bigger. Realistically, i see Lemieux ending up closer to a Patrick Kaleta...which i'm not even positive i'd want on my team, much less at the value of a high 2nd round pick, or even a late 1st as i've seen in places.

People are quick to throw Burrows under the bus (myself included at times) for the ire of the officials he brings down upon the Canucks...a guy like Lemieux isn't going to help that...and i'm not convinced the offensive skillset is there to offset that.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Not sure I agree. When we had 2 numbers 1's I would have agreed, but now we have 2 question marks. Not sure if Eriksson or Canatta will ever be a quality starter either, so it doesn't hurt to pick up the best goalie available.

Though I also wouldn't take Demko over Lemieux.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Though I also wouldn't take Demko over Lemieux.

What's the worst that could happen? We could get a franchise goalie in the mean time, bring Demko along slowly and develop him into a quality backup, then quality 1A, then alienate our franchise goalie, alienate all other GMs who attempt to trade for him, panic trade Demko at the 2019 draft and then trade the franchise goalie for peanuts and be left with nothing.

Oh....oh dear.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Me too. Haven't been this excited for a draft ever.

The only draft I was more excited for was in '99.

Burkie said he had big plans and he was true to his word.

Back when the draft was Saturday morning.

Remember waking up and when they interviewed Burke he said they were taking the Sedins at 2 and 3 I was like "Holy ****!".

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013

Remember waking up and when they interviewed Burke he said they were taking the Sedins at 2 and 3 I was like "Holy ****!".

That was pretty epic, Burke delivered on his promise, don't think we will ever see something like that in a long time.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't see Lemieux as necessarily having the same defensive prowess as Kesler though. To me, he's more like a "poor man's" Brad Marchand, though slightly bigger. Realistically, i see Lemieux ending up closer to a Patrick Kaleta...which i'm not even positive i'd want on my team, much less at the value of a high 2nd round pick, or even a late 1st as i've seen in places.

Lemieux has more upside than a Kaleta. He's prone to antics, but is not as dirty as Kaleta or even Burrows. In the back half of the year, he was just getting hammered with reputation calls, but I think he will settle as he progresses.

As a projected middle6 winger, he's absolutely worth the early 2nd VAN has, IMO.

For the 2014 draft: I'm looking forward to VAN's depth picks. Rounds 3 and later. I do wonder how much the restructuring has changed the scouting staff's approach, and this is where it seems to be the most pronounced. Hopefully, they have another 2013 like draft in them.

Last edited by a moderator:

bo2shink*

I was excited when we were going to draft Valeri Bure.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Yeah I came here to post about Demko at 36, I may be in the minority but if he's available there I'd take him.

Too hard to say. As I have said, I don't know this draft super well beyond where we pick in round one. But of the guys I do know, it depends who is still around. I really feel any number of good guys could slide to us, not sure I have one ultimate guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad