Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft Thread (6/27-7PM; 6/28-10AM)

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Wow, I've never seen so many high school players get picked in a draft. They weren't kidding about the lack of high end quality.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
True, but both first round picks where your mistakes are magnified. The second day of the draft is where you build your depth and is even more important. We needed D prospects more than wingers, IMO.

I don't know about that D depth thing. We have Murray,Savard, Erixon,Prout and Golobuef all under 25 I believe. We have Heatherington & Reilly in the pipeline plus we've added, what, 2 D already? That's 9 guys under 25 plus Johnson isn't exactly ancient.
I guess you can never have too many but I don't think we're in a lot of need.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Because it's Reilly and Heatherington and...........

Murray? Savard? Erixon? Goloubef? Prout? I know they project to the NHL level or are RFA or both and what-have-you, and for sure early 20s isn't the same as a kid who's 18-209, but I guess I don't see it as outweighing others as a position of need.

EDIT:
Aaaand Espen already posted this...

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
We also have no need for defensemen at the NHL level. It just isn't a need. I never said we were loaded. We need every position. Take who you think is best.

Huh? You say "it just isn't a need" but then say "we need every position". Also, I know we don't need NHL d-men right now, which is why it would be cool to draft a couple guys and let them develop for years until we do need NHL d-men.

I guess it's just personal preference, but I keep seeing Nashville drafting great d-men year after year and they don't seem to have a problem with it.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Huh? You say "it just isn't a need" but then say "we need every position". Also, I know we don't need NHL d-men right now, which is why it would be cool to draft a couple guys and let them develop for years until we do need NHL d-men.

I guess it's just personal preference, but I keep seeing Nashville drafting great d-men year after year and they don't seem to have a problem with it.

My point is it isn't a bigger need than any other position. TAKE THE BEST PLAYER. If you need someone later, you can trade for them. The better players you have, the more likely you can make trades to make your team better.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

And they need offensive players.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Murray? Savard? Erixon? Goloubef? Prout? I know they project to the NHL level or are RFA or both and what-have-you, and for sure early 20s isn't the same as a kid who's 18-209, but I guess I don't see it as outweighing others as a position of need.

It's look further out at defensemen. In 2 years, who's going to be waiting in the wings? That's just Reilly and Heatherington. What happens if Reilly is a bust and Heatherington has an injury?

There's a surplus of forwards and potentially goalies that can be traded. There's always some unsigned players or college free agents who might be ready before a 17/18 year old drafted today would be. So there's no need to panic or take only defensemen.

But every draft being very forward heavy seems like a strange strategy since I'd love for the Jackets to have the problem of being absolutely stacked at every position. They have a lot of picks in the 2015 draft, but picking some longer term defensemen prospects, especially players headed to college, puts those players in the pipelines to be ready in 4 years when who know if Savard, Prout or Erixon are still around or are All-Stars.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Our team is pretty balanced and fairly deep but 2 things we could use is skill up front and physicality on the backend. 1st pick, Sonny Milano a highly skilled player. 2nd pick, Ryan Collins a 6'5" physical defenseman who is supposed to be a good shot blocker and a guy who clears the crease. I don't think Collins is better then McKoewn but at the same time he wasn't a reach.
Collins played with Milano last year and will play with Reilly this year in Minnesota which should be a good place for him

Boomshakalaka

Why do I do this?
May 1, 2014
Columbus
Definitely feeling like this draft is not going down as one of our better ones. maybe spoiled a little from last year but I think we let some good prospects pass right by us. Seems like we are reaching on every pick. Meh

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Speaking of adding D - TB picked 4 and all were guys I had heard of. Not that means anything but on paper it looks like they did ok in this draft. Others who look like they did well throughout imo, include Nashville, Arizona, Blues and the Isles if the good Ho-Sang shows up. Ours will have to be in Jarmo we trust until we see how our picks develop. They sound good but no mother ever had an ugly child.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Definitely feeling like this draft is not going down as one of our better ones. maybe spoiled a little from last year but I think we let some good prospects pass right by us. Seems like we are reaching on every pick. Meh

Yes because we can make that call DURING the draft. People felt underwhelmed last year too at the draft. Let's see the guys play, and you know, give them a chance.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Yes because we can make that call DURING the draft. People felt underwhelmed last year too at the draft. Let's see the guys play, and you know, give them a chance.

Thats boring, lets get it out of the way and call next year a fail even with all of our picks. I dont mind this draft, probably won't blow us away but I doubt many teams get that from this draft. There is a lot of potential but a lot of risk this year. Jarmo went after good skaters for the most part in this draft but also got a little size and toughness with a couple picks

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Wow, I've never seen so many high school players get picked in a draft. They weren't kidding about the lack of high end quality.

A 6'6 goalie from Sweden just got drafted that mainly played on Frölunda's second tier U18 team. He didn't play in the top U20 SuperElit League or for their top U18 team, but their lower level U18 team. Weird pick, but I think that's how this draft class is. There are some Swedes that are were ranked by Central Scouting not going to be drafted because it's very obvious they aren't going to play in the NHL, so why not take a big chance on someone who is a longshot but could be a homerun I guess.

No clue who the CBJ will pick. I'd like to see them just go completely off the board like that.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I was impressed with our first two picks but we seemed to get off track with that "reach" goalie pick.

Boomshakalaka

Why do I do this?
May 1, 2014
Columbus

I really wasn't underwhelmed last year, I think the only pick I was left scratching my head with was dano. I ve seen some of these guys play already and of course there is talent there. Wasn't expecting any immediate help but Man wasn't expecting 4 year help either. There was definitely a plan that I can see with the group maybe all except Elvis... Really scratching on that one... Maybe a jarmo personal pick. So yes during the draft it is easy to say but probably the only time to say it as I still meh for the next three years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad