Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft Thread (6/27-7PM; 6/28-10AM)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I really wasn't underwhelmed last year, I think the only pick I was left scratching my head with was dano. I ve seen some of these guys play already and of course there is talent there. Wasn't expecting any immediate help but Man wasn't expecting 4 year help either. There was definitely a plan that I can see with the group maybe all except Elvis... Really scratching on that one... Maybe a jarmo personal pick. So yes during the draft it is easy to say but probably the only time to say it as I still meh for the next three years.

Who cares how long they take, as long as they develop into the players they believe they will be it'll be fine. Jenner took 2 years to make the team, and we're all still waiting on the rest of that class. They won't be rushed, it's not like we need them right now anyway, let them take their time. We're stocked

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Really like this draft. Also think the Elvis pick is for lack of confidence beyond Forsberg. Dansk has shown poorly and we don't know what we have in Korpisalo. Maybe the plan is to include one in a trade. Also tells me we don't plan to sign Ouellette. I also like the college players which will allow for more time to evaluate prior to signing.

skating, IQ, all around game accompanies most of these players and they all seem to have a high desire to learn and compete. Sonny could be a great one. No hands or skill like thT in the stable...

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Day 2

2nd round, 47th overall: D Ryan Collins, USNTDP

The CBJ's second round pick indeed turned out to be a big, right-handed defenseman, but it wasn't the one I had my eye on. Ryan Collins checks in as one of the biggest players in the draft (6'5", 205 pounds) and isn't the kind of pick that makes you jump out of your seat. He's a quietly solid defenseman who uses his reach and size to separate players from the puck. Not a terrific skater, which is something that he'll have to work on almost right away if he wants to be an NHL player; Collins is headed to the University of Minnesota to play on the same team that boasts former Jacket fourth rounder Mike Reilly (the two are good friends, from what I'm hearing). Collins fills a big need in our system, much like Sonny Milano. Solid pick because I think Collins will be a pro player in some regard - it's just a matter of whether he's an AHL player, or an NHL player. Projects on the high end as a bottom-3 defender, in a similar mold to Mike Commodore. (I know ... flame away ;))

3rd round, 76th overall: G Elvis Merzlikins, Lugano (SUI)

After dealing down and acquiring a 3rd round pick in next summer's draft (solid move), the Jackets selected 20 year old Latvian goaltender Elvis Merzlikins. Elvis is a big goalie, takes up a lot of the net, plays a positionally solid game and has excellent rebound control. Does have the tendency to overcommit and needs to learn to be more composed at times, but has plenty of talent and could develop nicely into an NHL player. I have fairly limited viewings on this guy, but while the pick may have been a little early for my standards, I can't complain. Similar to the Korpisalo pick a couple of years ago; this is a guy that could turn out to be a nice find in the middle rounds.

3rd round, 77th overall: D Blake Siebenaler, Niagara (OHL)

With the very next pick, the Jackets selected one of the best skaters in the entire draft in Blake Siebenaler. As is typical with young puck moving defensemen, Siebenaler has a long way to go to be an NHL player and has to be viewed as a project pick. A very good passer that can quarterback the powerplay, Siebenaler can control the game from the point and has the skating ability that allows him to take chances up the ice. Defensively, Sibenaler certainly needs some work, as he can get lost at times and will need to learn to be more physical. This is a pick very similar to the Mike Reilly pick (seeing a trend here) a few years ago ... a long-term development type of pick that could pay off huge dividends. Certainly, the team is addressing the lack of defensive prospects in our cupboards with this pick. Top end, Siebenaler projects as a bottom-3 guy who can play second unit powerplay time, similar to John Moore.

4th round, 107th overall: LW Julien Pelletier, Cape Breton (QMJHL)

In the fourth round the Jackets chose one of the rapid risers of this year's draft in Jullien Pelletier. Pelletier was one of the last cuts for Cape Breton in 2012, before making the team in 2013 and becoming a go-to player for the Screaming Eagles. From all accounts a good kid who is loved in the locker room, Pelletier stepped up as a leader and only got better as the season went on. Quick hands and a lethal release only supplement his above average vision, which all combine to make him an interesting offensive player heading forward. He will need to get stronger and learn to play more physical, but the mindset is right, and the skillset is strong. High end, projects as a third line player that can chip in offensively, similar to Matt Calvert.

5th round, 137th overall: RW Tyler Bird, Kimball Union (USHS)

In the Hockey News's mind, Tyler Bird played on the most dangerous line in all of prep hockey this year. Very limited viewings on this guy for me, as high school hockey doesn't really exist in my part of the world :laugh: ... everything I have on him is very brief, but from what I know, he's a bigger kid, uses his size and strength to his advantage, and could develop into a good third/fourth line wing in the NHL. Headed to Brown University this fall, where it will be far easier to gauge his potential and skillset.

7th round, 197th overall: D Olivier Leblanc, Saint John (QMJHL)

With their final pick of the draft, the Jackets again looked to the blueline in selecting puck moving defender Olivier Leblanc from the Saint John Sea Dogs. Very similar to the Siebenaler pick, Leblanc is a mid-sized player whose skating is his biggest asset. Good skater, good shot, above average passer, but needs to get bigger and stronger if he's going to make it at the next level. Another project type pick, Leblanc has to improve defensively and be more consistent to play at the next level. Like Siebenaler, could be a bottom-3 guy with powerplay time, in the mold of John Moore.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
All in all, I think we come away with some nice pieces this year, if not a whole lot to get excited about. I mentioned what I think about Ryan Collins; I hold out hope that he'll be a player for us on some level. Sonny Milano - while not my clear-cut first choice - seems like the pick that had to be made. Super skilled, huge high-end, home-run swing type of pick. If he hits, he's the electrifying scoring wing that we are so short on in our system ... but if he misses, we have some safer picks to fall back on from last year's draft. I like it.

The surprise pick for me was the pick of Elvis Merzlikins ... he's a guy that I thought might go in the 5th or 6th round, as the potential is there ... but, he's 2 years older than most guys in this draft and is still a long-term project. Nothing wrong with taking a goalie in this range ... but it's always a crapshoot.

Blake Siebenaler and Olivier Leblanc are both big home-run swings. Neither guy has any certainty to their game; both are out there to produce offensively and both have a long way to go before they are pro players. Especially defensively ... look at their +/- ratings this year. There always seems to be one or two of these guys that rises out of each draft from the middle/late rounds; so the hope has to be that one or the other develops into that kind of find for us.

Julien Pelletier is an interesting pick because he's trending the right way, and if he continues to trend in that direction, he's going to be an excellent late round find. Realistically, his potential is somewhat limited, but it's also hard to judge because he only had one season of junior hockey. From all accounts, he was a driving force for his team down the stretch and in the playoffs, and his stock was rising. Honestly, I'm surprised someone didn't take him sooner ... this is a pick that I can get behind because, like Milano, he's a potential game breaker on the wing.

Tyler Bird adds some size and hopefully some scoring potential on the wing. As I mentioned in my blurb, I don't have a ton of notes on this guy and it's difficult for me to speculate; but this is a Jarmo kind of pick ... taking a guy in the later rounds that nobody is thinking about, who has some size, skill, and potential.

Definitely some intriguing picks here, but it will be several years before any of us can get a real feel for how this draft turns out. Virtually all of these guys are longer term project type picks.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Sore Loser, I respectfully disagree with you on Collins skating. Looms like he skates well regardless of size and many scouting reports seem to support this. Middle pair guy bit PK and move guys.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
First Round Thoughts (Overall)

Literally no major surprises for me in the first round ... 28 of my final top-30 were taken in the first round, with only Roland McKeown and Ivan Barbashev "falling" ... but, here are my overall thoughts:

Best pick: Buffalo taking Sam Reinhart 2nd overall. Listen, while not overly surprising or off the board, Buffalo had three guys to choose from, and in my book, they got it spot on. Everyone knew Aaron Ekblad was (rightfully) going first overall, but from there, arguments were made for any of Reinhart, Draisaitl, or Bennett. Buffalo needs a player that can score ... all of them can do that. But, when you look at all-around play, leadership, ability to win key faceoffs, block shots, and do whatever it takes to win ... Sam Reinhart separates himself from the other two guys. I think he's a future NHL captain, and is exactly what the Buffalo Sabres need.

Worst pick: New York Islanders taking Josh Ho Sang. I get the hype with Ho Sang ... the offense is clearly there, and he wants to be an NHL player. But, it's for all the wrong reasons. The Islanders gave up assets to move up to get him, and for me, that means they have to take a guy that's going to play for them, and I just don't see Ho Sang being that player.

Biggest surprise pick: Toronto selecting William Nylander. Not that this was completely off the board, but everyone "knew" they would take Nick Ritchie here. Nylander is electrifying and could turn into a very good NHL player. But, the Leafs - be it for good or bad - surprise us all again.

Sleeper pick: Conner Bleackley going to Colorado. None of you are honestly surprised here, are you? ;) Bleackley will get a chance to develop with one of the better young teams in the NHL. His leadership will be key to their development, as much as their offensive support will be to him. I can see this guy lifting the Cup in a few years.

Most likely to step right into the NHL: Aaron Ekblad.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Sore Loser, I respectfully disagree with you on Collins skating. Looms like he skates well regardless of size and many scouting reports seem to support this. Middle pair guy bit PK and move guys.

Fair enough ... straight forward, I think you are correct. But, it's his lateral movement and turning ability that I'm referring to. Certainly not terrible, but I do think he will have to improve it as he moves up to higher levels against quicker, shiftier guys.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
This was the first draft in a long time that I didn't pay attention to. I can usually have a grasp on 4 or 5 rounds, but haven't exactly had the time to invest into reading up on the draft eligible guys as I usually do. So obviously my comments might not mean much.

I like the Milano pick though. Haven't had a guy with elite hands in a long time, and I think it's something that we need. Love the fact that he looks up to Pat Kane.

As for the other picks, I seriously know next to nothing. But I recall when Jarmo was drafting for the Blues I came away from each draft thinking "man, the guy St. Louis got must be good if Jarmo drafted him there". Seems like we had a common theme for our picks: guys with good skating ability. Plays into the whole getting faster mantra.

This seems to be a "wait-and-see" draft, which is fine with me. We have a solid set of prospects, and it allows us to be less conservative next year. I know some of you think that we should have grabbed more defensemen This year, but maybe Ville Siren and co. see impact players on defense in 2015. Who knows?

Anyway, I'm happy. Milano seems like a player we need, and we can afford to let him develop. Can't wait to see him in a few years.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Three forwards, three defensemen, and a goalie, right? Balanced draft! I've often seen it said that finding a good tender is difficult and one should be added each year. Are the complaints about Elvis based on when he was taken, rather than on his prospects?

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
This was the first draft in a long time that I didn't pay attention to. I can usually have a grasp on 4 or 5 rounds, but haven't exactly had the time to invest into reading up on the draft eligible guys as I usually do. So obviously my comments might not mean much.

I like the Milano pick though. Haven't had a guy with elite hands in a long time, and I think it's something that we need. Love the fact that he looks up to Pat Kane.

As for the other picks, I seriously know next to nothing. But I recall when Jarmo was drafting for the Blues I came away from each draft thinking "man, the guy St. Louis got must be good if Jarmo drafted him there". Seems like we had a common theme for our picks: guys with good skating ability. Plays into the whole getting faster mantra.

This seems to be a "wait-and-see" draft, which is fine with me. We have a solid set of prospects, and it allows us to be less conservative next year. I know some of you think that we should have grabbed more defensemen This year, but maybe Ville Siren and co. see impact players on defense in 2015. Who knows?

Anyway, I'm happy. Milano seems like a player we need, and we can afford to let him develop. Can't wait to see him in a few years.
We drafted 3 Dmen this year. I mean, how many more could someone want in a single draft?

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
The talk about Elvis is similar to when they drafted Mason. "Why did we draft a team's backup goalie in the THIRD round? A little early, no?" How about we give the kid a chance first. The high ups must not like how Dansk and Korpisolo are progressing

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
The talk about Elvis is similar to when they drafted Mason. "Why did we draft a team's backup goalie in the THIRD round? A little early, no?" How about we give the kid a chance first. The high ups must not like how Dansk and Korpisolo are progressing
Well, we did decide not to sign Ouellette, so this could simply be GMJK and JD replacing him. I could see them not being happy with Korpisalo's progression, but Dansk? Everyone sure is quick to **** on Dansk after only 1 bad postseason in juniors..

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Drafting one goaltender every other year is a solid strategy. The position is just so demanding and requires a lot of times, several years of seasoning at the lower levels. Love the goaltender pick the most, I think.

Winti26

Feb 23, 2012
Switzerland
Hi Lugano and elvis fan here,
First of all I think Elvis could become a solid nhl goaltender for you in the future, but I have to admit I was very supprised that he was picked already in the 3rd round.

He played a very good rookie season this year in the swiss men league. He started into the season as number 3, who should play most of the time in the juniors, and ended the season as 1b goaltender and played one men playoff game and lead the junior team into the playoff final.

For next season he will no longer play junior hockey, and if he plays like last season it's only a question of time until he will be the 1a or even number one Goalie.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I like going with the boom/bust pick in Milano. I don't understand the Ryan Collins pick if his upside really is 4-6 D-man. To my mind that's just not a position you draft for, especially if you're as deep as we are. I hope Jarmo saw something more in him.

Then again many folks said Boone was just a safe pick with top upside as a third line center, and he's already a game changer. So what do we know?

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Elvis is signed to play in Switzerland, but he should be playing at a higher level than that.
I definitely agree with this, even though I'm not sure if you meant it in the way I think you did. :)

NLA is the 3rd/4th strongest league in the world. A higher level would be the NHL.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I'd have to imagine at least the NHL/KHL/SHL are above it.. do you consider Liiga below NLA?
Maybe SHL does have a slight edge over NLA, but they're more or less at the same level. Whichever way you compare them (team budgets/player salaries or point production compared for players with SHL-AHL and NLA-AHL experience), there's not really a major difference there.

The Swedish hockey program is definitely better overall, but almost all of the elite players are playing abroad in North America. The quality of the foreign players in NLA is arguably better as well.

Liiga is *roughly* at the same level as well, but it's mostly based on Finnish players and the import players are of lower quality when compared to Sweden or Switzerland. You begin to see AHL/ECHL guys playing leading roles instead of NHL/AHL guys like in Switzerland, etc.

1. NHL
2. KHL (some teams being better than bottom-tier NHL teams, some teams belonging to the tier below)
3. SHL/NLA/AHL/Liiga
4. Cze Extraliga/DEL/Allsvenskan
5. EBEL/VHL/NLB/ECHL
6. Svk Extraliga/DEL2/Norway/Mestis/Denmark
7. NCAA/Italy/Kazakhstan/Belarus/EIHL/Oberliga/Hockeyettan/Cze2/France
8. Major junior hockey/SPHL/Svk2/Asian league/Ukraine/INL

The bottom line is - if you're a starting goalie in NLA, a higher level would only be either NHL or KHL.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
LeBlanc appears to be a similar player to Mike Reilly. When drafted, Reilly was 5'8" and 145 lbs soaking wet I think. He grew 4 inches (or more - haven't seen an accurate chart lately) and has since added over 40 lbs. If LeBlanc has the frame to add the weight he has a similar skill set to Reilly and could blossom into another solid NHL d-man. He appears to be a very, very good skater with vision. I really like this pick as a 7th rd selection. Reminds me of the Curcuruto gamble 2 years ago (didn't work but had a chance. low risk, high reward)

Reminds me of our flyer on Soberg last year. Take the kid who can skate and has a high end skill and gamble that he will develop the rest of his game.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
LeBlanc appears to be a similar player to Mike Reilly. When drafted, Reilly was 5'8" and 145 lbs soaking wet I think. He grew 4 inches (or more - haven't seen an accurate chart lately) and has since added over 40 lbs. If LeBlanc has the frame to add the weight he has a similar skill set to Reilly and could blossom into another solid NHL d-man. He appears to be a very, very good skater with vision. I really like this pick as a 7th rd selection. Reminds me of the Curcuruto gamble 2 years ago (didn't work but had a chance. low risk, high reward)

Reminds me of our flyer on Soberg last year. Take the kid who can skate and has a high end skill and gamble that he will develop the rest of his game.

He led the Q in minutes per game last year. I think a lot of talk about his D game is overstated because he is on the ice so much that his mistakes are more noticeable especially since Saint John NEEDED him to take the risks he did.

He's got a good shot, good creativity, is a good skater, played as a #1 at 17, and is physical. He's 5'11 but is light, yet effective in the physical game (hits to separate) and picks his spots well.

Obviously he needs to bulk up and could use working more on his shot and one timer (since that is his greatest strength).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad