Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft Thread (6/27-7PM; 6/28-10AM)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Siebenaler might be a steal. He's just scrapping the surface and he has one of the best strides I've seen on a defenseman. If he continues his progression this has the potential to look like a steal.

Offensive guy?

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Color me disappointed with the goalie pick, but we'll see I guess. Wonder if we sign him right away since he's 20 and play him in ECHL. I like the Dman though

Well, sounds like he's a goalie with potential so you can never have enough depth. The problem with goalies is they need to be playing at a high level.

Elvis is signed to play in Switzerland, but he should be playing at a higher level than that. But then what do they do with Forsberg and Dansk? All of them need ice time. Maybe that puts Dansk back in the OHL for another season and gives him more time.

For 2015-16, then some decisions will need to be made and someone is going to need to be traded. All four of them can't be in the ECHL and AHL since that means 2 aren't starting.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Well, sounds like he's a goalie with potential so you can never have enough depth. The problem with goalies is they need to be playing at a high level.

Elvis is signed to play in Switzerland, but he should be playing at a higher level than that. But then what do they do with Forsberg and Dansk? All of them need ice time. Maybe that puts Dansk back in the OHL for another season and gives him more time.

For 2015-16, then some decisions will need to be made and someone is going to need to be traded. All four of them can't be in the ECHL and AHL since that means 2 aren't starting.

Winning Lugano's starter goalie position shouldn't do any harm for Merzlikins. He already very much (statistically) challenged and shared the duty with their current number one this season. Can't see Swiss top league being easier challenge compared to AHL.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Common thread among the non-goalie picks besides the US team, great skaters, quick, speed.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
On Pelletier:

Julien Pelletier, left-winger, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles (64th CSS, 111 RLR) - He didn’t even make the Screaming Eagles a year ago but broke out with 50 points in 67 games as a 17-year-old rookie.

“Skilled winger started slowly but just kept getting better,†reads his Red Line Report profile. “We liked him more each time we saw him and our final impression from the playoffs has stuck with us; he continued to compete hard when the case was lost and led teammates by example. Very soft hands, especially on the PP where he’s got a lightning quick release.â€
http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/1218131-locals-hope-to-get-nhl-draft-call

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
5th round pick? Dysin Mayo? Hockey News had him 48th but I don't think he has been picked yet. Doesn't turn 18 till August. Sleeper?

Crap- he just went to Arizona. Oh well.

Last edited:

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I know this draft is a total crapshoot (well, all drafts are, really) but I'm not really blown away by our performance. I like the Milano pick, but the goalie pick, while he's a decent player, I don't know where he fits in the organization. Also seems too high for us to be picking a goalie when we already have several decent prospects at that position. Pelletier is a dime a dozen winger from the Q (and we've never had much success in picking from that league).

Would have liked to see us keep going D in the third and fourth. Collins seems decent, but there were other D choices I would have liked at that spot. Siebenaler seems like he could be a sleeper.

A C performance so far, IMO.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I know this draft is a total crapshoot (well, all drafts are, really) but I'm not really blown away by our performance. I like the Milano pick, but the goalie pick, while he's a decent player, I don't know where he fits in the organization. Also seems too high for us to be picking a goalie when we already have several decent prospects at that position. Pelletier is a dime a dozen winger from the Q (and we've never had much success in picking from that league).

Would have liked to see us keep going D in the third and fourth. Collins seems decent, but there were other D choices I would have liked at that spot.

Two things to consider:

Nikita Filatov- Great! Can't believe he fell to us.

Ryan Johansen - Who?

Just pulling your chain a bit but I know what you're saying.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Two things to consider:

Nikita Filatov- Great! Can't believe he fell to us.

Ryan Johansen - Who?

Just pulling your chain a bit but I know what you're saying.

True, but both first round picks where your mistakes are magnified. The second day of the draft is where you build your depth and is even more important. We needed D prospects more than wingers, IMO.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
True, but both first round picks where your mistakes are magnified. The second day of the draft is where you build your depth and is even more important. We needed D prospects more than wingers, IMO.

People keep saying this. Why do we need D prospects so much?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Would have liked to see us keep going D in the third and fourth. Collins seems decent, but there were other D choices I would have liked at that spot. Siebenaler seems like he could be a sleeper.

I have to agree but I am warming up to the Elvis pick. Pelletier seems pretty meh. And this Bird guy might have potential as he's really young

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Each pick displays a high-en skill/ability of one kind or another (which, for clarity's sake, is not the same as saying they're one-dimensional). Interesting draft for sure, but I think I like it.

As for the goalie, maybe it's too high, but it's possible the org is tired of waiting for Dansk to show something or has a concern with one of the other guys in the pipeline. I don't think the position is one where you mess around, so if you like a guy you go get him and let their play dictate "where they fit in the organization."

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
It's too early to say if it was or wasn't a good draft. We don't much information on these prospects and who knows in 4 years where they will be.

From looking at the prospect depth charts, I would have preferred more defensemen just because they take so long to develop. Pelletier and Bird may be nice picks, but I wonder how they fit into the forward depth when there are so many players ahead of them. We also don't know how they have the remaining defensemen rated. I wonder why not take a chance on one of the MN high school defensemen that went later in the 5th round over Bird, but I trust Jarmo and the scouts know what they're doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad