2014 NHL Draft: The Electric Eel, The Nylander Son, or The Finnish Canadian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2003
KW
Here is how I see things playing out on draft day:

1. :panthers Ekblad - BPA and positional need, no need at center

2. :sabres Reinhart - safest pick for a team needing an #1 center

3. :edmonton Bennett - I don't believe they'd advertise being in love with Draisaitl if it were true

4. :flames Dal Colle - sniper for Monahan, Burke will claim they had him ranked 1st, and look smart for it a couple years later ;)

5. :isles Ehlers - high upside pick, the isles never make the expected pick

6. :nucks Draisaitl - easy pick, bpa and needs all in one

7. :canes Fleury - underrated imho, exactly what the Canes need on the back end, has a low floor imho (almost certain top 4 nhl d)

8. :leafs Virtanen - we have needs everywhere, I think our scouts will see Virtanen as BPA and having very high upside

9. :jets Ritchie - could use the toughness and scoring

10. :ducks2 Nylander - size not a concern playing behind Getzlaf, can afford to swing for the fences here

11. :nashville Kapanen - need offense, he's ranked highly in this regard

12. :coyotes McCann - high motor 2-way center that nhl teams love

13. :caps Barbashev - rugged Russian would fit in well there imho

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Fabbri is now tied for the goal scoring lead with over ager Zack Mitchell on the Storm, despite missing 3 playoff games. 11 goals in 13 games.

Pretty impressive for a draft eligible Center. You can't teach skill like this. Kid is a talent.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
so is everything u say.

We take Ehlers and run if he is available imo. Virtanen Ritchie and Nylander are all better than Larkin, BPA not positional need, if you wat a center that bad u can acquire one in a lateral trade.

For example, we draft Virtanen (who has more potential than Larkin), he becomes a 50+ point winger then we can trade him for a 50+ point center rather than hoping that Larkin can become that player.

If we are going to reach id rather it be Mccann, but id rather just trade back and get more assets in the process.

You can only draft quality top 6 centres, wingers are much easier to acquire, thus the need to draft them is not as pressing. Not many teams trade a quality core top 6C.

This is why if the prospects are close, you always go with a Center if you are Toronto given this is the weakest position for the Leafs prospect and team wise.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
You can only draft quality top 6 centres, wingers are much easier to acquire, thus the need to draft them is not as pressing. Not many teams trade a quality core top 6C.

This is why if the prospects are close, you always go with a Center if you are Toronto given this is the weakest position for the Leafs prospect and team wise.

I love Fabbri, but Nylander and Virtanen are both twice as good with center experience.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Only issue is he has Perlini and Kapanen going before Ehlers, Ritchie, Virtanen and Fleury

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Only issue is he has Perlini and Kapanen going before Ehlers, Ritchie, Virtanen and Fleury

I could see Ritchie/Virtanen/Fleury falling a bit and going around that #10 mark, but I think there's a very good chance Ehlers is gone before the Leafs pick. He definitely had Kapanen and Perlini higher than most, but having Ehlers that low was a shocker to me.

There's going to be a faller, but I don't think it's going to be Ehlers (Virtanen might be a guy that drops a bit in my opinion).

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Ritchie, Virtanen, Ehlers, whichever one falls to us I'll be happy. I just hoping we don't draft Perlini, with the Verhaeghe connection, because I don't think he has the offensive upside to be a top-10 pick

MarkLeftBehind

Jun 24, 2013
Alberta
Sportsnet did a mock draft for the top 10, they seem to be out to lunch on this one:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/cosentinos-2014-nhl-mock-draft/

The way he described Nick Ritchie sounded very similar to how I would describe Evander Kane. Think they would draft that similar of a player? I guess if they think he is BPA, but I don't know...

Perlini is not really on my radar for 8th pick, so I guess I might have to open my mind to a few more players if there is so much variation after the 5th pick.

Kyle Doobas*

I don't see the problem with Ritchie. Personally I'd rather Ehlers or Nylander, but Ritchie looks to have a helluva shot, can skate well and is already 6'3" and over 200 pounds. The guy's going to be a monster by the time he's a regular NHLer. Not a bad consolation prize at all for 8th overall.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
The way he described Nick Ritchie sounded very similar to how I would describe Evander Kane. Think they would draft that similar of a player? I guess if they think he is BPA, but I don't know...

Perlini is not really on my radar for 8th pick, so I guess I might have to open my mind to a few more players if there is so much variation after the 5th pick.

I think Virtanen is more like E Kane. Ritchie is more in the Lucic/Bertuzzi pf mold.

As for drafting a similar player, nobody here thought we'd draft Rielly because on paper he's the same player as Gardiner, worked out ok.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't see the problem with Ritchie. Personally I'd rather Ehlers or Nylander, but Ritchie looks to have a helluva shot, can skate well and is already 6'3" and over 200 pounds. The guy's going to be a monster by the time he's a regular NHLer. Not a bad consolation prize at all for 8th overall.

Ritchie has the tools to be a Power fwd, the question about him are consistent from junior hockey observers. He only shows up when he feels like it. If a team could be sure he can straighten this part of his game out, he would no doubt go higher. It's the only blemish on his scouting report. If the Leafs drafted him, one could say he would fit in with this club like a glove, good one week, bad one week team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Looking at my draft list.

After:

Ekblad
Reinhart
Bennett
Draisaitl
Dal Colle

Crapshoot, in no particular order:

Nylander
Fabbri
Larkin
Ehlers
McCann
Ritchie
Vrana
Fleury
Virtanen
Perlini
Milano
Tuch

Lots to choose from, I don't see a great discrepancy in talent, only some picks have more risk. But upside may be more.

Interesting, wonder if you are a GM picking 10-15, is it even worth moving up to 8th? Maybe if you are picking 20-25th yes.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Seems like a Jeff Carter type?

He has been compared to Skinner by a Scout I know. That would seem to be a good comparison to me. I recall Bobby Mac having Skinner at #10 in his Final ranking, but he was only ranked #34 by Central Scouting. Quite a discrepancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad