2014 NHL Draft: The Electric Eel, The Nylander Son, or The Finnish Canadian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyaces**

Ristolainen or Gauthier, McCarron and Hartman?

Trouba or Jankowski, Gaunce and Pearson?

Couturier or Noesen, Danault, Rakell?

I think I'd rather have the 8th overall pick

Krieder+ Johansson (2009)

Bjugstad + Kuznetsov (2010)

Jenner + Gibson+ Saad (2011 - 2nd round picks)

Teravainen + Maatta (2012)

Mantha + Burakovsky (2013)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lots of players in this draft would be good additions to the Leafs.

Doesn't mean we should be adding them at 8th overall...

I think Larkin would be great pick as the others I mentioned, this may not be a draft where there is a lot of difference from 8-15, you may disagree but that's the point of this thread isn't it?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I think Larkin would be great pick as the others I mentioned, this may not be a draft where there is a lot of difference from 8-15, you may disagree but that's the point of this thread isn't it?

Yes it's the point, but again like every other time we have this conversation, it would be nice if you gave actual reasons why a player you posted about deserves to be taken at 8th. You just say "good pick at 8" and then when someone asks why, you just say "well you might not agree...".

Why is Larkin a good 8th overall pick?

Why is he better than Virtanen, or Ritchie, or Ehlers, or Nylander etc?

Why is there little difference between 8-15. Because often it seems more like an arbitrary than anything else. Lots of people saying this.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Dal colle is my #1 guy in the draft. Him and Bennet.

At #8 its definitely Ritchie , he's got a better combination if skills than anyone at that range.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yes it's the point, but again like every other time we have this conversation, it would be nice if you gave actual reasons why a player you posted about deserves to be taken at 8th. You just say "good pick at 8" and then when someone asks why, you just say "well you might not agree...".

Why is Larkin a good 8th overall pick?

Why is he better than Virtanen, or Ritchie, or Ehlers, or Nylander etc?

Why is there little difference between 8-15. Because often it seems more like an arbitrary than anything else. Lots of people saying this.

Same reason why you warmed to Tuch when I mentioned him to you, you said the same thing at first also then, because you viewed him with a closed mind, Larkin is better than Tuch I will tell you that, he is #14 on ISS, hardly a reach. It's always the same 4 guys mentioned here, other than Nylander who I also mentioned as liking, I don't see why anyone would say Virtnanen, Ritchie or Ehlers is much better than Larkin.

What is more valuable a top 6 winger or a top 6, 2 way quality Center?

See post #904, #907. I don't like repeating myself.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Same reason why you warmed to Tuch when I mentioned him to you, you said the same thing then because you viewed him with a closed mind, Larkin is better than Tuch I will tell you that, he is #14 on ISS, hardly a reach. It's always the same 4 guys mentioned here, other than Nylander I don't see why anyone would say Virtnanen, Ritchie or Ehlers is much better than Larkin. What is more valuable a top 6 winger or a top 6, 2 way quality Center?

Larkin has an outside chance of being a 2nd line C in 5-7 years. I don't see how thats so special

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Correct me if im wrong, but Ritchie sounds pretty similar to Kyle Beach in his draft year.

A true powerforward would be nice, but the last guy we drafted like that (Biggs) has been trash at every level.

There nothing alike, talent wise. Ritchie would be a top 20 pick still if he was average in size with no aggression to his game. beach would have been a 3rd rounder if he was 6' 180lbs.

Same reason why you warmed to Tuch when I mentioned him to you, you said the same thing at first also then, because you viewed him with a closed mind, Larkin is better than Tuch I will tell you that, he is #14 on ISS, hardly a reach. It's always the same 4 guys mentioned here, other than Nylander who I also mentioned as liking, I don't see why anyone would say Virtnanen, Ritchie or Ehlers is much better than Larkin.

What is more valuable a top 6 winger or a top 6, 2 way quality Center?

See post #904, #907. I don't like repeating myself.

I really like this years USNTDP. I'd be happy moving back for one of Tuch or Larkin, to also get a 2nd. It'd be great if we can secure a 2nd next year, only for the attempt to move up next year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Larkin has an outside chance of being a 2nd line C in 5-7 years. I don't see how thats so special

What is our weakness on this team? What is hardest position to fill in the NHL? Top 6 Centers? Larkin has a good chance being a quailty 2 way Center with 60+ point potential for a team that drafts him. If we can draft one, A GM of the Leafs would be foolish to pass up on a Top 6 quaility C if there is one we are able to draft, do you not agree?

What is special about Ritchie or Virtanen? You think they are going to be elite NHL wingers? That is a huge assumption.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
What is our weakness on this team? What is hardest position to fill in the NHL? Top 6 Centers? Larkin has a good chance being a quailty 2 way Center with 60+ point potential for a team that drafts him. If we can draft one, A GM of the Leafs would be foolish to pass up on a Top 6 quaility C if there is one we are able to draft, do you not agree?

What is special about Ritchie or Virtanen? You think they are going to be elite NHL wingers? That is a huge assumption.

No he doesn't have the skills to be a 60+ point producer. He's offensive skills aren't anywhere near nylander or ehlers. He's also a step behind Ritchie in pure offensive talent.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
There nothing alike, talent wise. Ritchie would be a top 20 pick still if he was average in size with no aggression to his game. beach would have been a 3rd rounder if he was 6' 180lbs.

I really like this years USNTDP. I'd be happy moving back for one of Tuch or Larkin, to also get a 2nd. It'd be great if we can secure a 2nd next year, only for the attempt to move up next year.

I'm with you this year, The USA under 18 team is really flying under the radar this draft, I don't think it's a great year for CJHL prospects, there are some good players in this crop, but nothing that I can see being a major drop off from 8-15. Larkin looks like he has more upside than McCann and many liked him a week ago.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

I thought you were not favouring safer picks this year and wanting a player with the best upside?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I thought you were not favouring safer picks this year and wanting a player with the best upside?

I was not in favour of drafting another bottom 6 player this draft, I see Larkin as a 2 way top 6 Center. The kid has more upside than last year's first.

BTW you never answered my question, what do the Leafs need more of, a possible top 6 winger or a top 6 center?

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I dunno. Trade back to 10th with ANA for 38th pick. trade back to 12th with PHX for CHI pick (53rd?). Trade back to 16th with CLB for 48th pick and LA pick (50th?) = four 2nd round picks + picking in the middle of the 1st round.

personally id be happy with barabeshev/mccann at 16 + 38th, 48th, 50th, and 53rd. barbs/mccann might be a little behind nylander/ehlers/ritchie but we would have a lot more bullets in the gun to try and grab something fun with those 2nds.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I was not in favour of drafting another bottom 6 player this draft, I see Larkin as a 2 way top 6 Center. The kid has more upside than last year's first.

BTW you never answered my question, what do the Leafs need more of, a possible top 6 winger or a top 6 center?

I didn't know that question was directed at me...

The current Leafs need a 2 way top 6 centre more than another winger .. But the prospect pool needs both types of players equally I'd say, above that though there is a lack of elite skill which is why I'm advocating for a player like Ehlers or Nylander (or even Fabbri if he has risen that much)

I have nothing against Larkin, the few posts on here suggest that you're the only one who believes he has a good offensive upside - if he's just a good two way centre with average offense, that is more of a safe pick than anything

crazyaces**

personally id be happy with barabeshev/mccann at 16 + 38th, 48th, 50th, and 53rd. barbs/mccann might be a little behind nylander/ehlers/ritchie but we would have a lot more bullets in the gun to try and grab something fun with those 2nds.

thank you. at least someone see's what I was trying to get at. You can still get a really good player at that spot, while picking up 2nd round picks. Maybe you don't get 4 of them, maybe you do. either way, you get a good prospect in Barbashev. Unless the scouts see guys like Virtaten and Richie as elite talents (doubtful).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I didn't know that question was directed at me...

The current Leafs need a 2 way top 6 centre more than another winger .. But the prospect pool needs both types of players equally I'd say, above that though there is a lack of elite skill which is why I'm advocating for a player like Ehlers or Nylander (or even Fabbri if he has risen that much)

I have nothing against Larkin, the few posts on here suggest that you're the only one who believes he has a good offensive upside - if he's just a good two way centre with average offense, that is more of a safe pick than anything

Sorry that question was directed to Duffman.

I don't see wingers we may draft at #8 being a huge upgrade to our wingers, or better than drafting a Center like Fabbri, Larkin, or even to a lesser extent McCann.

Players are too similar IMO in upside. We are not talking about Nichuskin upside here in Ehlers, Ritchie or Virtanen. My point is if Larkin who is #14 on ISS is close to these players given how hard it is to obtain a quality top 6 C these days. Lord knows Leafs fans should be well aware of this.

We can get a good top 6 Center prospect this draft. We can do this by drating at #8 or dropping back.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

elite is a stretch, but Ritchie is something special

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario

so is everything u say.

We take Ehlers and run if he is available imo. Virtanen Ritchie and Nylander are all better than Larkin, BPA not positional need, if you wat a center that bad u can acquire one in a lateral trade.

For example, we draft Virtanen (who has more potential than Larkin), he becomes a 50+ point winger then we can trade him for a 50+ point center rather than hoping that Larkin can become that player.

If we are going to reach id rather it be Mccann, but id rather just trade back and get more assets in the process.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario

the leafs need the BPA. your drafting [mod:strategy] is very flawed, by the time these prospects make the team u have no idea who is going to be on the team still.

Last edited by a moderator:

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
I'll be very happy with Ritchie, Ehlers. Be just happy with Nylander, and Virtanen. Be ok with anyone else except Perlini

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
My knowledge of the USNDTP is limited to the Gold Medal game of the U-18's so it is a very small sample. I agree that there are some very nice players on that team. One thing to remember is that the fact they have been playing together is not only an advantage when it comes to team play. The fact that players can react rather than think, because they have been playing together all season, can also make them look quicker and more instinctual.

Still, I think Milano, Tuch, and Larkin are all sure first rounders, and Eichel would be number one overall, were he eligible. Should they go at number 8? Probably not. But if the Leafs trade down, I would be happy to get any of them.

An aside: Tuch generally seems to be the most highly rated and he is certainly huge. I note that he managed to get three assists in the tournament, playing on the best line on the best team in the tournament, with Eichel and Milano. Milano is obviously very skilled and fast but a little small. Interactif may be right to focus on Larkin as the best overall prospect. But, as I say, this comes from watching one game!

Another aside: I generally like the prospect reports on lastwordonsports.com as they are well written and informative, IMO. They rated Kevin Fialla at #30. That does seem low to me, but the reason for the rating is interesting. They recognize his offensive gifts but say he makes Semin look like a defensive whiz. I do recall watching Fialla as the nearest Swiss player when Canada scored to win the quarterfinal at the 19:30 mark of the 3rd period. Fialla was gently gliding back towards his net.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
haha then we could have gotten him with our 2nd round pick but Nonuts traded our 2nd for Eklund 2.0 bum buddy in Bolland.

Screw that, we could have had Bowey. He went two picks after us, and is looking like a steal. Reminds me of PK Subban.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad