GDT: 2014 NHL Draft - June 27 6pm CDT NBCSN & June 28 9am CDT NHL Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Anyone else notice Chicago picked up Olofsson's baby brother?

As if we didn't have enough sibling rivalry in the conference with Baby Granlund starting to play in Calgary...

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Because they didn't pick a Minnesotan at any point, right?

Yeah, there was certainly something wrong this year. :shakehead:

More the fact that they draft these low reward picks that even cant establish themselfs in AHL.

I dont know, im no expert. It just clear that they value size over skill.

I like the Beldepio pick from what i hear tho. Maybe Jenys and Duke have some reward to it.. Lets just hope Tuch becomes more than a heavy winger with bottom6 minutes.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
More the fact that they draft these low reward picks that even cant establish themselfs in AHL.

I dont know, im no expert. It just clear that they value size over skill.

I like the Beldepio pick from what i hear tho. Maybe Jenys and Duke have some reward to it.. Lets just hope Tuch becomes more than a heavy winger with bottom6 minutes.

I do not believe we drafted with low reward players. Some are (Faith, Lang) but some are total risks (Sjalin, Duke, Jenys) and some have above-average rewards (Tuch, Belpedio).

So while I agree overall we went with safer picks, it isn't void of reward. I would say as a draft class, we went for low risk/above-average reward. Not high end reward but safe picks with good reward values.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
I do not believe we drafted with low reward players. Some are (Faith, Lang) but some are total risks (Sjalin, Duke, Jenys) and some have above-average rewards (Tuch, Belpedio).

So while I agree overall we went with safer picks, it isn't void of reward. I would say as a draft class, we went for low risk/above-average reward. Not high end reward but safe picks with good reward values.

I agree, Wild went with a mix of risk/reward. At the end of the day, if anyone of the guys from Balpedio on make it to the NHL in any meaningful capacity it will be better than expected,

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
I agree, Wild went with a mix of risk/reward. At the end of the day, if anyone of the guys from Balpedio on make it to the NHL in any meaningful capacity it will be better than expected,

Offcourse, i just like the idea of drafting high reward picks and maybe end up with one player of elite talent if lucky more than ending up with 2, 3 or 4 not good enough AHLers.

For all its worth i hope Tuch becomes a ****ing beast.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Not sure if it was just the Wild's picks, but this draft seemed to drop off into nothing around the 5 round. Normally that doesn't happen until the 7th.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Is this where we are talking about the Wild's draft overall?

I thought it looked good, better than last year for sure. There was a mix of guys who dropped due to injury or slumps (potential good value), lots of high hockey IQ players, flyers on skill guys late, good goalie prospect.

Really wish we could have got Sonny Milano. I have this nagging feeling that Milano made Tuch look much better than he actually is (like Tavares made Moulson and Clutterbuck look good). But nothing you can do about that.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010

I thought it looked good, better than last year for sure. There was a mix of guys who dropped due to injury or slumps (potential good value), lots of high hockey IQ players, flyers on skill guys late, good goalie prospect.

Really wish we could have got Sonny Milano. I have this nagging feeling that Milano made Tuch look much better than he actually is (like Tavares made Moulson and Clutterbuck look good). But nothing you can do about that.

It is possible that Tuch made Milano look better. Now, I say this on the premise that I know Milano has more "dynamic" skill. However, from the reports that I've read, it sounds like Tuch was the motor that made that line turn. Just something to ponder, Christian Ponder.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I think if anyone made anyone look better on the Tuch-Eichel-Milano line, it was Eichel.

I'm sure the Wild brass preferred Milano, but him coming off the board at #16 made Tuch a very acceptable alternative.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Best name

Just for fun What player that the wild drafted this weekend has the best name.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
Going Kahkoneness cause if he pans out he will get a nickname like Sweetness.

Edit: got this from Nharris spelling Kahkonen--> Kahkoneness in OP.

Last edited:

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Since I don't know where else to put this, just wanted to talk about development camp coming up. Looks like it is known that Alex Gudbranson (Erik's bro), Zach Palmquist, and Dallas Valentine have been invited. Anyone know of any other invites?

Would like to see one or two guys that went undrafted invited...

Tkachev, Tyson Baillie, Edwin Minney, Julio Billia, Andrew Mangiapane, Reid Gardiner, Jason Fram. Seamus Malone and Brandon Fortunato, too. College guys are hit and miss since they have to pay for everything, right?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

One of the things that I mentioned is that we took a lot of prospects that we already have. Guys like Jenys and Duke seem like clones of Haula and Graovic. Not great offensively, solid two-way guys, with high IQs. I think Minnesota has a blue print of the prospects they target each year and we're not going to see much deviation from that.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
One of the things that I mentioned is that we took a lot of prospects that we already have. Guys like Jenys and Duke seem like clones of Haula and Graovic. Not great offensively, solid two-way guys, with high IQs. I think Minnesota has a blue print of the prospects they target each year and we're not going to see much deviation from that.

How does Granlund fit that blueprint?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
How does Granlund fit that blueprint?

Smart player with underrated defense. I mean we've seen Granlund injure himself because of his aggressiveness. His offense is a plus.

Dumba is the biggest anomaly here, which was surprising but this team was starved for a big-time offensive defenseman and they swung for the fences with Dumba.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Smart player with underrated defense. I mean we've seen Granlund injure himself because of his aggressiveness. His offense is a plus.

Dumba is the biggest anomaly here, which was surprising but this team was starved for a big-time offensive defenseman and they swung for the fences with Dumba.

Let this be a reminder. They took the high reward/risk and now people are complaining we should have taken the safer pick in Trouba. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad