2014 NHL Draft Discussion - Part V ** Isles-Keep 5th Pick**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Don't know if you guys saw this, but the Draft rules are going to change next year and it's not good news for Buffalo. Can't say I feel bad for them after what we've had to endure from some of their fans on here.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...ors-approved-changes-nhl-draft-lottery-system

Meh.

Not a big deal.

2015 the odds for the 30th overall team go down

2016 more selections will be up for lottery ( either first 3 picks or first 5) ..

We're in the same boat. We'll lose odds of winning lottery with our pick (but still be guaranteed 2nd overall with last place finish) But most likely our odds of winning the lottery with Islanders pick will go up.

Speculation of the odds look like this... Blue line is last year...Red line is 2015

24gol1g.png

cjdv16

Nov 22, 2005
The Swamp
Tim Murray was asked recently about drafting a goalie and he said his philosophy is "wait until the last few rounds and then draft the biggest swede or fin you can find"

Or you can draft them with the top pick in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, consecutively in the same draft and have them both turn out to suck?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :sarcasm:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Could be good news for Buffalo. If they increase the odds of later picks winning, then they have a better chance of getting 1 & 2 if either of their other 1st round picks (Isles & Blues) win the lotto, assuming they miss the playoffs or if they include playoff teams in the lotto.

And if Buffalo finish last they will still get at worst the #2 with their own pick even if another team wins the lotto, so still one of the top 2 guys, McDavid or Eichel.

I remember reading that the 2015 changes would only be the odds, and in 2016 would be using the lotto to determine more than just the
#1 pick.

I don't see how it's good news for Buffalo, their tanking strategy just got a whole lot harder since the percentages will change and getting McJesus will be much harder. Since their entire strategy revolves around tanking for the 2015 Draft, it's no bueno.

cjdv16

Nov 22, 2005
The Swamp
Wang: "Now, this part here should be facing to the front, over your eyes. It's designed to shade the sun. I never realized that until Garth told me about it recently. People just don't realize the genius of that man! By the way Kevin, after my grandson makes the next selection, I'll let you have the one after that. Who do you like?"

"Kevin, everyone thought I was kidding about having sumo wrestler play goalie. My master plan all along has been to groom this fine, young, rotund fellow here such that he can wear this Islander logo proudly in goal for years to come. Thoughts?"

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I never do this but...

I'd did talk to someone this week who indicted that the Isles scouts are very high on him.

For me. MDC and Lemieux make me happy. A pure goal scorer which we haven't had in ages and a kid with real aggression who can chip in offensively.

I don't see them picking Ritchie unless they trade down.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
So how many 2nd round and early 3rd round picks have they used already on goalies..... with limited to no results. And you want to use another one for another shot in the dark on a goalie, just because the dozen or so we have already aren't enough or aren't good enough?

I value 1st through 4th round picks a great deal (more than most). NHL teams can make a killing by my making good selections in those rounds roughly the top 100 or so players selected in a given draft. After that, it's a crapshoot..... That's where you can gamble on goalies. The other selections are too valuable to use up on junk bonds.

The islanders actually have 7 valuable draft picks this year if they chose wisely. Their 6th and 7th round picks can be used on goalies if it's absolutely necessary, he'll they will probably outplayed the goalies they drafted in the second and third round picks last year... and perhaps the islanders could have got Hudson Fasching with one of those wasted valuable picks (yes I'm still bitter)

The success rate of goalies (number of goalies drafted/ becoming desirable starting nhl goalies) is lousy, that's because there are only 10 or 15 of them at a given time. I don't plan retirement on scratch off tickets.....

I think it would be a pretty wise move to grab one of Demko, Nedeljkovic, or McDonald at 35. I wouldn't be upset if they draft another forward there, since I'm sure whoever they take would be a highly regarded prospect, but given our system needs and the fact that those three are head and shoulders above the rest, I think it would be the right move to make.

I think we can afford to spend a top pick on a goaltender. We have the system depth, and the need is glaring. I'm sure that other teams are able to find stud goaltenders in the mid-late rounds, but I just have no confidence in the Islanders being able to do that.

Any one of these three G would be great value at 35, IMO. They fit a huge need. I don't see the issue. As far as how long it will take them to reach expectations even if they do develop well, I don't think that will be a problem. Halak has another four years, and Koskinen should be returning next season. I'm assuming that they will groom him as the backup for a couple of years, and if all goes well perhaps they will transition him into a 1B role for Halak's last season. By the time his contract expries, Demko/Nedeljkovic/McDonald will probably have at least one, maybe two full years of AHL starting experience. IMO, the timing would work well assuming the pick is made this year.

Again, wouldn't mind a forward - especially if a guy like Kempe/Goldobin/Bleackley/MacInnis/etc. is still there. But I wouldn't mind a goaltender at all. We haven't had a top-end guy in quite some time, and our best shot of adding one would be to somehow get one of these top 3 prospects.

_illicit_

Nov 30, 2005
FL
I don't see them picking Ritchie unless they trade down.

I don't see that. If they want him, they draft him at 5. Considering some scouts have gone on record as having Ritchie as their #1 prospect in the draft, he won't last long.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I don't see how it's good news for Buffalo, their tanking strategy just got a whole lot harder since the percentages will change and getting McJesus will be much harder. Since their entire strategy revolves around tanking for the 2015 Draft, it's no bueno.

McJesus would be ideal but it was a long shot to begin with. A guaranteed pick of McDavid or Eichel is still in the works tho. So..crisis averted.

This is still a horrible proposal put forth by the NHL.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
McJesus would be ideal but it was a long shot to begin with. A guaranteed pick of McDavid or Eichel is still in the works tho. So..crisis averted.

This is still a horrible proposal put forth by the NHL.

All they should do is make a rule you can only pick 1st once every 5 years, that would avoid what happened to Edmonton

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
All they should do is make a rule you can only pick 1st once every 5 years, that would avoid what happened to Edmonton

I don't think they should do anything. Teams need to rebuild. It's not exactly good for business for the teams to begin with.

But if I was forced to do something I suppose the 1st pick once every 5 years would be logical.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I don't see that. If they want him, they draft him at 5. Considering some scouts have gone on record as having Ritchie as their #1 prospect in the draft, he won't last long.

Behind Run DMC, I'd be thrilled with Ritchie.

Everyone talks about getting JT a winger, but it also applies to Strome. Johnny is our alpha and whether he gets the big time linemates or not, his job is to bite the bullet and go up against the other team's top shutdown people so the lower lines can have easier matchups. Ritchie with Strome would be a great duo too.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Behind Run DMC, I'd be thrilled with Ritchie.

Everyone talks about getting JT a winger, but it also applies to Strome. Johnny is our alpha and whether he gets the big time linemates or not, his job is to bite the bullet and go up against the other team's top shutdown people so the lower lines can have easier matchups. Ritchie with Strome would be a great duo too.

Would be utterly unfair to have either dal colle or Ritchie with Tavares or strome. Like you said JT hs to bite the bullet but imagine what opposing teams have to do to stop those lines.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Would be utterly unfair to have either dal colle or Ritchie with Tavares or strome. Like you said JT hs to bite the bullet but imagine what opposing teams have to do to stop those lines.

As we upgrade the talent on the team, I definitely want JT to get his linemates to unlock his full potential. In the grand scheme of things, I prefer to have balance throughout the lineup and not put all of our eggs in one basket. The 1st line with JT and KO will produce, but production from the other lines is what will ultimately determine the level of success of this team going forward.

I'm a Dal Colle guy and I think everyone knows that, but I think Ritchie would be great with either Johnny or Strome as well.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I don't think they should do anything. Teams need to rebuild. It's not exactly good for business for the teams to begin with.

But if I was forced to do something I suppose the 1st pick once every 5 years would be logical.

How about ping pong balls

All teams that miss the playoffs get 5 ping pong balls and if anytime in the last 4 years they made the playoffs or picked top 3 they lose a ball(that way teams can have anywhere from 1-5 balls).

This would help those middle of the road teams who constantly just miss out on the playoffs(instead of having them die a slow death)

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Wang: "Now, this part here should be facing to the front, over your eyes. It's designed to shade the sun. I never realized that until Garth told me about it recently. People just don't realize the genius of that man! By the way Kevin, after my grandson makes the next selection, I'll let you have the one after that. Who do you like?"

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
As we upgrade the talent on the team, I definitely want JT to get his linemates to unlock his full potential. In the grand scheme of things, I prefer to have balance throughout the lineup and not put all of our eggs in one basket. The 1st line with JT and KO will produce, but production from the other lines is what will ultimately determine the level of success of this team going forward.

I'm a Dal Colle guy and I think everyone knows that, but I think Ritchie would be great with either Johnny or Strome as well.

I like Dal Colle. Wouldn't be shocked if the Isles had Ritchie ahead of Draisaitl.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I think it would be a pretty wise move to grab one of Demko, Nedeljkovic, or McDonald at 35. I wouldn't be upset if they draft another forward there, since I'm sure whoever they take would be a highly regarded prospect, but given our system needs and the fact that those three are head and shoulders above the rest, I think it would be the right move to make.

I think we can afford to spend a top pick on a goaltender. We have the system depth, and the need is glaring. I'm sure that other teams are able to find stud goaltenders in the mid-late rounds, but I just have no confidence in the Islanders being able to do that.

Any one of these three G would be great value at 35, IMO. They fit a huge need. I don't see the issue. As far as how long it will take them to reach expectations even if they do develop well, I don't think that will be a problem. Halak has another four years, and Koskinen should be returning next season. I'm assuming that they will groom him as the backup for a couple of years, and if all goes well perhaps they will transition him into a 1B role for Halak's last season. By the time his contract expries, Demko/Nedeljkovic/McDonald will probably have at least one, maybe two full years of AHL starting experience. IMO, the timing would work well assuming the pick is made this year.

Again, wouldn't mind a forward - especially if a guy like Kempe/Goldobin/Bleackley/MacInnis/etc. is still there. But I wouldn't mind a goaltender at all. We haven't had a top-end guy in quite some time, and our best shot of adding one would be to somehow get one of these top 3 prospects.

Big fan of Goldobin if he's there at 35, Kempe would be an awesome pick too. But if Demko is gone at 35, and McDonald and Nedeljkovic are still there, I really hope we take one. We don't have ANY top goalie prospects. Koskinen may prove to be a good goalie, but his numbers in the KHL might be the product of a low scoring league and not facing a ton of rubber.

scott99

May 13, 2005
If Dal Colle is still there at 5, or if he's gone and one of the top 4 is still there at 5, I'd be slightly upset if they pick Ritchie. BUT, they may have Ritchie rated really high on their board, possibly they have him rated #3 or #4, so it would make sense if they took him at #5. Every team has slightly different boards I bet.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
If Ho-Sang is there in the second round, do you take him?

I am tempted to say yes, but with our focus on character, I dunno. Maybe with our team full of young leaders, he could be molded.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

I am tempted to say yes, but with our focus on character, I dunno. Maybe with our team full of young leaders, he could be molded.

Well we did draft Kabanov so its possible. I think we could get a skilled player with some character in the second round if we don't want Ho Sang.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
If Dal Colle is still there at 5, or if he's gone and one of the top 4 is still there at 5, I'd be slightly upset if they pick Ritchie. BUT, they may have Ritchie rated really high on their board, possibly they have him rated #3 or #4, so it would make sense if they took him at #5. Every team has slightly different boards I bet.

any of the top 5 or Ritchie is a good thing for me. We know Ek won't get by Edmonton but either one of the Sams, then Ritchie, then MDC and Drais.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island

I think it's remarkable how some scouts can destroy a kid. He's just that, a kid. I read the controversial piece on him, and I actually like him. It's refreshing to see someone with such confidence and personality. He will adjust to the NHL. He's not saying he'll do whatever he wants, won't work on D, or won't show up to practices. He even is quoted in the article saying he will not be late to a single practice or meeting. Kid is determined to be the best player in this draft. I hate that that means he should be regarded as having "character issues."

Yes, I draft him at 35. I want the forward that falls out of the first round there. I think one of Demko, McDonald, Nedeljkovic will be there at 57.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad