2014 NHL Draft Discussion - Part III ** Isles-5th Pick**

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarginallyTalented

Mar 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
I don't understand the Draisaitl hate, the guy has probably the best vision and passing ability in the draft. We also know he's a leader and not a follower judging by his season at PA, he scored 105 points and no one else on his team scored anywhere near as much as he did. If we draft him, he'd be the anchor of our second line by 15-16, just picture a line of Lee-Draisaitl-Strome....

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I don't know about putting Nelson or Lee on the top line. If we are cheap..sure do it, but any real team would not play those guys on the top three...they aren't ready yet. This has nothing to do with them able to keep up. This has to do with experience and how to play a full game consistent and still provide value. Right now, we don't have a top winger.

IF no trades for forwards take place, then I agree, this is what we have to work with, but if we do some signing over the summer..I can tell you it will be a top 1-2 dman and a top 3 winger..THEN, I knwo the team wants to win and is serious. Halak is a great start.

Also, why move Nielsen to third? If anything, I'd move him to JT's wing. Demote a guy for having a career year, playing a great 2-way game, amazing salary AND you replace him for an 18 year old? You only do stuff like that when the 18 year old is a prodigy, not a 5th overall.

Keep in mind, I don't expect Draisaitl to be in the NHL for another two years, so that lineup doesn't really have anything to do with the players that Nelson and Lee are currently.

That said, I think you can absolutely get away with Lee or Nelson on the 1st line RIGHT NOW, and still have a high-powered line. Both Tavares(obviously) and Okposo are considered 1st line talents. I'm not sure how many teams have 3 1st line caliber players on their top line. Usually there is a complimentary type there, and Nelson or Lee could most likely fill that spot(Lee, most likely, since I expect Nelson to stick at center).

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
Keep in mind, I don't expect Draisaitl to be in the NHL for another two years, so that lineup doesn't really have anything to do with the players that Nelson and Lee are currently.

That said, I think you can absolutely get away with Lee or Nelson on the 1st line RIGHT NOW, and still have a high-powered line. Both Tavares(obviously) and Okposo are considered 1st line talents. I'm not sure how many teams have 3 1st line caliber players on their top line. Usually there is a complimentary type there, and Nelson or Lee could most likely fill that spot(Lee, most likely, since I expect Nelson to stick at center).

While it is unlikely that draisaitl is playing for the nyi next year, the hockey news talked to a scout that said draisaitl will be in the show next season. Take it for what it's worth...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad