2014 NHL Draft Discussion - Part III ** Isles-5th Pick**

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
From the Isle's website.

Chief European Scout Velli-Pekka Kautonen

Scout Matti Kautto

I would guess they are both Finns, and exlains why we don't draft many Russians, only 2 since 2009 (Pedan and Kabanov). Finns typically do not like Russians very much. We've drafted 31% Euros (11 out of 35 picks) since 2009, some were playing in North America when we drafted them. 11 Euros since 2009, so about 2 a year, I guess there is a chance we pick some Euros.
Yeah, I noticed that Kallur is employed by the Rags now :facepalm:

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Ill be pretty disappointed if they pass on BPA for need. Not saying Ritchie can't be considered BPA, but with one of Bennett, MDC or Draisaitl guaranteed to be there at 5, I highly doubt it.

I can understand your point, Bennett would be a definite for me, the other two would make me think twice. I usually agree with alot of what you say and I'm sure MDC and Drais will be good to very good players. I just personally think a player like Ritchie, who combines scoring and toughness is rarer than a playmaker or scorer by itself. I am sure we will get a very good player at #5 so unless Garth goes completely off the grid, I doubt we will be disappointed.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
I still believe, even though I have gone back and fourth, that Snow will stick with the top tier rated 5 guys of Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl and Dal Colle. Whoever is there when we pick at 5, imo that will be either Draisaitl or Dal Colle, I think that's who Snow takes.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I really like Draisaitl guys, I hope he's around at #5. If not, I'd like Dal Colle. My heart is set at those 2 guys.

My board for who to take at #5

Draisaitl
Dal Colle
Virtanen/Ritchie

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
I can understand your point, Bennett would be a definite for me, the other two would make me think twice. I usually agree with alot of what you say and I'm sure MDC and Drais will be good to very good players. I just personally think a player like Ritchie, who combines scoring and toughness is rarer than a playmaker or scorer by itself. I am sure we will get a very good player at #5 so unless Garth goes completely off the grid, I doubt we will be disappointed.

To me its like would i rather have a Strome type of prospect or a Nino type of prospect. So, i would rather go MDC or Drais over ritchie as i feel those two have 1st line upside while ritchie has second line skill. The size issue isn't big for me, in this case because they both have a good frame and likely not much smaller then ritchie with more skill. The islanders have plenty of size at forward with lee and nelson and toughness with Clutterbuck and martin.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
MDC will be certainly more physical on the forecheck than LD if not only for position- and LD will be about as physical out there as Josh Bailey, and similar in other ways.

Ritchie is the best skater of the three, fills our need for more size and goal scoring from the wing, hits and finishes opponents at his current weight of 220 lbs, and is a decent fighter- the kind that many don't even bother to step up to in the OHL.

If MDC is gone, you grab Ritchie- there's no other prospect quite like him this year, or since Milan Lucic and Zach Kassian. Ritchie won't ever be as tough as Lucic, but his offensive talent is certainly high enough to produce 15-20 goals a season with his already NHL calibre shot.

Unlike LD, Ritchie will not get pushed around. Islanders fans saw enough of that when NN was around. Ritchie is the opposite and can dish out big hits, create space, and protect his linemates.

LD is a lumbering centre that can compliment shooting wingers- but the Islanders have two shooting centres in John Tavares and Ryan Strome. Tavares certainly benefits from the big-bodied Okposo, and lining Ritchie up with Strome could produce similar synergy. Strome would see the pest types like Marchand and Ott dealt with after the whistle, and throwing Martin on the other wing would be fantastic.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If Bennett is available at 5 you praise whatever god you believe in and sprint to the podium to read out his name., I wouldn't look to trade, just add him to our system and let him grow into a really top player for us to call on down the road.

This is correct.

Bennett is likely the best overall option in this draft at this point in time.

Very impressive young man and all-round player.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Generally Garth waits until at the very least the 2nd round to make his "smarter than the rest of the room" picks.

2013 - Pulock - solid pick approved by Isles fanbase
2012 - Reinhart - solid pick approved by Isles fanbase
2011 - Strome - solid pick approved by Isles fanbase
2010 - Nino - solid pick approved by Isles fanbase (at the time)
2010 - Nelson - solid pick approved by Isles fanbase
2009 - Tavares - solid pick that made the Coliseum go bats*** crazy
2009 - DeHaan - questionable pick at the time but these days he's definitely approved by Isles fanbase

So you basically have to go all the way back to 2008 and the Bailey pick to find a 1st rounder you can really criticize Snow for.

Good points.... but ahhhhh, some of those 2nd rounders!

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
MDC will be certainly more physical on the forecheck than LD if not only for position- and LD will be about as physical out there as Josh Bailey, and similar in other ways.

Ritchie is the best skater of the three, fills our need for more size and goal scoring from the wing, hits and finishes opponents at his current weight of 220 lbs, and is a decent fighter- the kind that many don't even bother to step up to in the OHL.

If MDC is gone, you grab Ritchie- there's no other prospect quite like him this year, or since Milan Lucic and Zach Kassian. Ritchie won't ever be as tough as Lucic, but his offensive talent is certainly high enough to produce 15-20 goals a season with his already NHL calibre shot.

Unlike LD, Ritchie will not get pushed around. Islanders fans saw enough of that when NN was around. Ritchie is the opposite and can dish out big hits, create space, and protect his linemates.

LD is a lumbering centre that can compliment shooting wingers- but the Islanders have two shooting centres in John Tavares and Ryan Strome. Tavares certainly benefits from the big-bodied Okposo, and lining Ritchie up with Strome could produce similar synergy. Strome would see the pest types like Marchand and Ott dealt with after the whistle, and throwing Martin on the other wing would be fantastic.

This is an excellent synopsis. everyone should read this post. IM pretty much in lockstep with you although I think mdc is a better skater than Ritchie. Also as someone who watched Strome dominate in the ohl next to Ritchies older brother on a nightly basis, the thought of drafting nick to skate along side Strome is pretty exciting.

I think it's a waste of time to mention Bennett, Reinhart, and Ekblad. Those three will be off the board by the time the Isles select. so the only players that should be discussed are: Dal Colle, Ritchie, Ehlers, and LD.

I put them in that order for a reason that's my order of preference.... actually I might take a stab at Nylander or Perlini before I considered selecting LD.

MDC is my favorite player in this draft behind Ekblad (Bennett is close). MDC has an excellent frame, skating, balance, stickhandling, IQ, Shot. he welcomes contact and initiated quite often. The only thing that isn't NHL grade at this point is his defense. And IM not worried about that, most nights the effort is there.

If MDC goes in the top 4 picks, as I think he should, then IM 99% sure I go with Ritchie. basically for all the reasons you state. I love players like Simmonds, Lucic, Kassian. If Ritchie takes his conditioning seriously and develops properly he has a legitimate chance at being the best of the bunch. Love Ritchie and MDC, wish the Isles could draft both.

the 1% is reserved for Ehlers. he is just too exciting. the things he can do at the speeds he can go at, I feel like he can be Mackinnon lite. he would be hard to pass up, but if IM selecting either MDC or Ritchie I would be comfortable with my selection.

As for LD, I just don't like him. plain and simple. Might turn out to be a good one but others have higher upsides with less risk.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This is an excellent synopsis. everyone should read this post. IM pretty much in lockstep with you although I think mdc is a better skater than Ritchie. Also as someone who watched Strome dominate in the ohl next to Ritchies older brother on a nightly basis, the thought of drafting nick to skate along side Strome is pretty exciting.

I think it's a waste of time to mention Bennett, Reinhart, and Ekblad. Those three will be off the board by the time the Isles select. so the only players that should be discussed are: Dal Colle, Ritchie, Ehlers, and LD.

I put them in that order for a reason that's my order of preference.... actually I might take a stab at Nylander or Perlini before I considered selecting LD.

MDC is my favorite player in this draft behind Ekblad (Bennett is close). MDC has an excellent frame, skating, balance, stickhandling, IQ, Shot. he welcomes contact and initiated quite often. The only thing that isn't NHL grade at this point is his defense. And IM not worried about that, most nights the effort is there.

If MDC goes in the top 4 picks, as I think he should, then IM 99% sure I go with Ritchie. basically for all the reasons you state. I love players like Simmonds, Lucic, Kassian. If Ritchie takes his conditioning seriously and develops properly he has a legitimate chance at being the best of the bunch. Love Ritchie and MDC, wish the Isles could draft both.

the 1% is reserved for Ehlers. he is just too exciting. the things he can do at the speeds he can go at, I feel like he can be Mackinnon lite. he would be hard to pass up, but if IM selecting either MDC or Ritchie I would be comfortable with my selection.

As for LD, I just don't like him. plain and simple. Might turn out to be a good one but others have higher upsides with less risk.

Like you and BCB, I am on the Dal Colle then Ritchie train. Those two players (both being OHL forwards, which I like) fit what we're trying to build here better than the others. I have almost identical thoughts regarding the other players as well. I'm NOT a Draisaitl fan, at all.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
I put this in the Trade down thread on the Trade Board but I would like other opinions on this as well.
The 5th OA + Mayfield/Pelech to SJ for Demers and the 19th OA.

We would get another top 4 Dman and still pick in the 1st round they get a top prospect and an almost ready Dman.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
I'm not a big Draisaitl fan at all but people are really starting to sleep on him as a player and prospect. Draisaitl doesn't get pushed around at all, he's the strongest prospect in the draft at maintaining possession and rarely gets knocked off the puck.

Draisaitl could very well be a top level winger playing a Jágr or Vanek style of game. I think people are underrating Draisaitl and he could even be ready to make the jump to the NHL next year because he has played very well with the German national team against the likes of Finland etc but I'd still leave him in juniors next year. So it seems the higher standard of players he plays with, the better Draisaitl performs.

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Like the thought of Ehlers going to NYI if he does not end up a Canuck:)

A few highlight packs are up with him, this one my fav.

Gives a pretty good allround showcase of his skills.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
I think Ehlers is going to measure out at 6'0 and all of a sudden people will be far more interested in drafting him after the combine.

But talking about Draisaitl, I just don't see how people can say he is a lumbering player at all. He is a really powerful strong guy with elite skills. I hate to be "that" guy posting highlights for people to judge him as a player but hey, why not :laugh:

Love the deke at 0.44 secs into the video followed by taking the defender for a ride all the way to the net before roofing it. Also the coast to coast play followed by the drop pass at 1:35 doesn't look like a lumbering forward to me

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Agree 100%. based on talent alone, if Dal Colle, Draisaitl and Ehlers were available at #5, I'd go

1) Dal Colle
2) Ehlers
3) Draisatil.

And I'd take ANY of those 3 over Ritchie.

I agree. I think people tend to get infatuated with the big, talented, physical guy, and teams end up taking him over the player with the most upside - sometimes even the obvious pick(Jessiman, Beach, McIlrath, even Torres to a degree - even though he's not necessarily 'big').

If we are going to pass on one of the big-5(Dal Colle or Draisaitl), I'd rather go for one of the big upside picks like Ehlers, Fabbri or even Nylander. Even if you are obsessed with size to the point where you HAVE to get a guy like that, I'd rather trade down to 10 or so and take Alex Tuch.

Ritchie is a solid prospect, but there are at least 4 or 5 guys that I'd rather have at our spot.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Like the thought of Ehlers going to NYI if he does not end up a Canuck:)

A few highlight packs are up with him, this one my fav.

Gives a pretty good allround showcase of his skills.

I didn't watch the whole video yet, but just on that first goal you see Ehlers skating in at high speed and just before he gets to the goalie the d-man taps the puck into Ehlers' feet. Ehlers doesn't miss a beat or slow down at all and just kicks it back to his stick and then beats the goalie. All of that happened at high speed in like a second. That's some amazing skill there, and the kind that can translate to the NHL (where the ability to make plays quickly and at speed is key).

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
I'm not a big Draisaitl fan at all but people are really starting to sleep on him as a player and prospect. Draisaitl doesn't get pushed around at all, he's the strongest prospect in the draft at maintaining possession and rarely gets knocked off the puck.

Draisaitl could very well be a top level winger playing a Jágr or Vanek style of game. I think people are underrating Draisaitl and he could even be ready to make the jump to the NHL next year because he has played very well with the German national team against the likes of Finland etc but I'd still leave him in juniors next year. So it seems the higher standard of players he plays with, the better Draisaitl performs.

The underrating of draisaitl here is ridiculous.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

Nino syndrome. Big, talented Euro playing in the WHL. 5th overall pick. Makes sense, even though I obviously don't agree with it.

One of the most appealing parts about Draisaitl is the amount of value he will carry next season. If guys like Reinhart, Ekblad and Bennett make the jump to the NHL immediately, Draisaitl could end up being considered the best drafted prospect outside of the NHL. A piece like that could practically guarantee us any available player at the deadline, if we're in a position to make the playoffs and add a contributor.

...or we can keep him, and let him develop into that big, skilled 2C. Eventually slide Nelson over to LW, or drop him down to the 3C spot and move Nielsen. Either way, it will give us options, which are never a bad thing. Draisaitl could realistically be a monster two years from now, when he's ready to turn Pro.

They call this a 5-player draft for a reason. This guy seems to be getting underrated quite a bit, mainly due to the fact that he's not North American, but adding a game-breaking talent should be pretty important for a team without a 1st rounder next year in a draft stocked with game-breaking talents.

Either way, it won't matter. Edmonton will snatch him up, and we'll most likely be left with Dal Colle(which I can't complain about either).

scott99

May 13, 2005

I like Draisaitl as well, he's a helluva talent. Just prefer Dal Colle and Ehlers to him. BUT, if we wound up with Draisaitl I'd be very happy. My only problem with him is he really is more geared towards center, he's a great passer/playmaker, and we have a lot of centers (Tavares, Nielsen, Nelson, Strome, Sundstrom, and even Lee has played center). Wing is where we have a weakness (and goaltender). Name one top notch wing we have under contract in the minors or college or juniors.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I like Draisaitl as well, he's a helluva talent. Just prefer Dal Colle and Ehlers to him. BUT, if we wound up with Draisaitl I'd be very happy. My only problem with him is he really is more geared towards center, he's a great passer/playmaker, and we have a lot of centers (Tavares, Nielsen, Nelson, Strome, Sundstrom, and even Lee has played center). Wing is where we have a weakness (and goaltender). Name one top notch wing we have under contract in the minors or college or juniors.

Collberg is the only one, depending on how you define 'top notch'.

There will be routes we could take with Draisaitl though:

Nelson - Tavares - Okposo
Lee - Draisaitl - Strome
Grabner - Nielsen - Sundstrom/Bailey
Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

or

Lee - Tavares - Okposo
Bailey - Draisaitl - Strome
Grabner - Nelson - Sundstrom
Martin - Cizikas - McDonald

*if we decide to move Frans, which is doubtful

On paper though, you're right - getting a LW would be ideal(or at least a C who can translate well to LW).

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I would trade down 2-3 spots and pick up Vrtanen.

Ritchie is good IF he can get consistent. It's so difficult to be a consistent player if you aren't born that way.

I think Vrtanen would be perfect as a sniper and playmaker.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I don't know about putting Nelson or Lee on the top line. If we are cheap..sure do it, but any real team would not play those guys on the top three...they aren't ready yet. This has nothing to do with them able to keep up. This has to do with experience and how to play a full game consistent and still provide value. Right now, we don't have a top winger.

IF no trades for forwards take place, then I agree, this is what we have to work with, but if we do some signing over the summer..I can tell you it will be a top 1-2 dman and a top 3 winger..THEN, I knwo the team wants to win and is serious. Halak is a great start.

Also, why move Nielsen to third? If anything, I'd move him to JT's wing. Demote a guy for having a career year, playing a great 2-way game, amazing salary AND you replace him for an 18 year old? You only do stuff like that when the 18 year old is a prodigy, not a 5th overall.

Collberg is the only one, depending on how you define 'top notch'.

There will be routes we could take with Draisaitl though:

Nelson - Tavares - Okposo
Lee - Draisaitl - Strome
Grabner - Nielsen - Sundstrom/Bailey
Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

or

Lee - Tavares - Okposo
Bailey - Draisaitl - Strome
Grabner - Nelson - Sundstrom
Martin - Cizikas - McDonald

*if we decide to move Frans, which is doubtful

On paper though, you're right - getting a LW would be ideal(or at least a C who can translate well to LW).

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
@informthemasses

Perlini over draisaitl? I must disagree. Perlini had a great September and October and then he was nowhere near that form the rest of the regular season. 1 assist in the playoffs and then scored three goals at the u18's (which was a good thing for him because he was invisible otherwise). The anti-draisaitl train is gaining waaaaay too much momentum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad