2014 NHL Draft Discussion - Part III ** Isles-5th Pick**

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnfelon

Oct 12, 2013
Long Island
Love Garf's quote about drafting for need...we certainly need more size up front...I smell Ritchie at 5...

:)

Richie's an enticing pick; he does have the size I'm been clamoring for. However at five one of Dal Colle or Draisaitl will almost certainly be available, and that's where I believe they will go. But I love that you want them to get bigger up front; I agree 100%.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
Richie's an enticing pick; he does have the size I'm been clamoring for. However at five one of Dal Colle or Draisaitl will almost certainly be available, and that's where I believe they will go. But I love that you want them to get bigger up front; I agree 100%.

Also Dal Colle (6'2) is 3 cm's shorter than Ritchie (6'3), so Dal Colle offers elite wing skills along with size, just has to add muscle to his big frame.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
I think we're going to trade back into the middle of the 1st round to select someone like Alex Tuch who offers huge size and ability who could still be on the board mid 1st round and with our extra picks we could go pick up another top prospect without having to sacrifice all our picks.

Say Draft Day Trade: Islanders 2nd round pick (35th overall), Islanders 3rd round pick (65th overall), Islanders 4th round pick (95th overall) for the Columbus 1st & 3rd round pick (16th overall & 76th overall). I just used the 2009 draft where the Islanders moved picks as to roughly what the value could be.

Would leave us with something like 2 1st's, 1 2nd, 2 3rd, 1 4th, 0 5th, 1 6th, 1 7th. So we could end up with Halak and top 1st round prospects by making a trade like above.

New 2014 NHL Mock:

1st, 5th: Michael Dal Colle (CAN), LW, Oshawa (OHL), 6'2, 179lbs.
1st, 16th (trade): Alex Tuch (USA), C/RW, Boston College (NCAA), 6'3, 216lbs.
2nd, 52th: Alex Nedeljkovic (USA), G, Plymouth (OHL), 6'0, 185lbs.
3rd, 76th (trade): Vladislav Kamenev (RUS), C, Metallurg (KHL), 6'2, 205lbs.
3rd, 77th: Juho Lammikko (FIN), LW, Ässät (Liiga), 6'2, 190lbs.
4th, 107th: Oskar Lindblom (SWE), LW/RW, Brynäs (SHL), 6'2, 187lbs.
6th, 155th: Louis Belpedio (USA), D, Miami Uni (NCAA), 5'10, 192lbs.
7th, 185th: Axel Holmström (SWE), C, Skellefteå (SHL), 6'0, 196lbs.

Loads of size and power right across the board apart from a puck moving defensemen in Belpedio.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
I don't think that allows you to trade back into the first round...

As far as our pick, it's MDC or Ritchie for me. I think Garf hints as much in his latest interview- about grabbing wingers that is- and that we'll be drafting in terms of need...LD is a C who could be converted to wing, but isn't as strong a skater or nearly as physical as MDC, let alone Ritchie.

I pass on LD as we have enough puck distributors, and need shooters- LD's penchant to slow the game down is fine, but he won't get nearly the amount of time or space in the NHL as he does in junior.

Ritchie can create that space on his own, and there's not sufficient enough of a gap between his and LD's passing...and Ritchie has the NHL release and accuracy.

LD comes across as a little redundant with our three C's already set...Tavares, Strome, Nelson...I think this is what Snow is hinting at in the interview when he talks about need...and if MDC is gone, I take Ritchie.

Ritchie will be NHL ready long before Nylander or little tricky Nicky.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I think we're going to trade back into the middle of the 1st round to select someone like Alex Tuch who offers huge size and ability who could still be on the board mid 1st round and with our extra picks we could go pick up another top prospect without having to sacrifice all our picks.

Say Draft Day Trade: Islanders 2nd round pick (35th overall), Islanders 3rd round pick (65th overall), Islanders 4th round pick (95th overall) for the Columbus 1st & 3rd round pick (16th overall & 76th overall). I just used the 2009 draft where the Islanders moved picks as to roughly what the value could be.

Would leave us with something like 2 1st's, 1 2nd, 2 3rd, 1 4th, 0 5th, 1 6th, 1 7th. So we could end up with Halak and top 1st round prospects by making a trade like above.

New 2014 NHL Mock:

1st, 5th: Michael Dal Colle (CAN), LW, Oshawa (OHL), 6'2, 179lbs.
1st, 16th (trade): Alex Tuch (USA), C/RW, Boston College (NCAA), 6'3, 216lbs.
2nd, 52th: Alex Nedeljkovic (USA), G, Plymouth (OHL), 6'0, 185lbs.
3rd, 76th (trade): Vladislav Kamenev (RUS), C, Metallurg (KHL), 6'2, 205lbs.
3rd, 77th: Juho Lammikko (FIN), LW, Ässät (Liiga), 6'2, 190lbs.
4th, 107th: Oskar Lindblom (SWE), LW/RW, Brynäs (SHL), 6'2, 187lbs.
6th, 155th: Louis Belpedio (USA), D, Miami Uni (NCAA), 5'10, 192lbs.
7th, 185th: Axel Holmström (SWE), C, Skellefteå (SHL), 6'0, 196lbs.

Loads of size and power right across the board apart from a puck moving defensemen in Belpedio.

You are under the assumption we have European scouts. Also, Petrov will leave a sour taste in Snow's mouth. NO WAY we draft 4 Euros.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
I don't think that allows you to trade back into the first round...

As far as our pick, it's MDC or Ritchie for me. I think Garf hints as much in his latest interview- about grabbing wingers that is- and that we'll be drafting in terms of need...LD is a C who could be converted to wing, but isn't as strong a skater or nearly as physical as MDC, let alone Ritchie.

I pass on LD as we have enough puck distributors, and need shooters- LD's penchant to slow the game down is fine, but he won't get nearly the amount of time or space in the NHL as he does in junior.

Ritchie can create that space on his own, and there's not sufficient enough of a gap between his and LD's passing...and Ritchie has the NHL release and accuracy.

LD comes across as a little redundant with our three C's already set...Tavares, Strome, Nelson...I think this is what Snow is hinting at in the interview when he talks about need...and if MDC is gone, I take Ritchie.

Ritchie will be NHL ready long before Nylander or little tricky Nicky.

Dal colle...physical? I don't see that in his game at all. I would argue that draisaitl is the more physical of the two because of how he uses his body to protect the puck. In short, he gets beat on and still makes plays.

kuwo

Jun 2, 2010
SVK
You are under the assumption we have European scouts. Also, Petrov will leave a sour taste in Snow's mouth. NO WAY we draft 4 Euros.

Maybe, but with the new 4-year window to sign those players, it would be pretty smart to pick some Euros later in the draft. Goalies especially...

btw. is Anders Kallur their only Euro scout?

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY

I think I was in the deep minority hoping for Ritchie. I don't watch these guys at all but from what I hear, the main thing that separates Ritchie from MDC and Drais is the snarl factor. It seems like some don't like that or think it is not a part of today's game but I disagree. I see guys like Lucic and Simmonds who have offensive talent, but also provide a physicality and protection on the ice that a JT or Strome could surely use. In my opinion, if we could grab him later by trade and pick up a high 2nd round chip (preferably next year), great, but if nobody wants to trade I take him because from what I have seen and hear, we have NOBODY like him in the organization.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York

Haha I know we won't draft 4 Euro's but in my opinion you can get some real value with Euro picks in the middle or towards the end of the draft. By using the NHL's own 2014 draft rankings, the likes of Axel Holmström is being severely underrated.

He had a great junior year in Sweden and playing for the Swedish u18's as well while the NHL has him ranked the 90th overall Euro skater, falling from being ranked 50th earlier in the year. There just seems real value in European terms this year in the draft.

But like I said, I agree, there is no way the Isles pick a draft like this.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I think I was in the deep minority hoping for Ritchie. I don't watch these guys at all but from what I hear, the main thing that separates Ritchie from MDC and Drais is the snarl factor. It seems like some don't like that or think it is not a part of today's game but I disagree. I see guys like Lucic and Simmonds who have offensive talent, but also provide a physicality and protection on the ice that a JT or Strome could surely use. In my opinion, if we could grab him later by trade and pick up a high 2nd round chip (preferably next year), great, but if nobody wants to trade I take him because from what I have seen and hear, we have NOBODY like him in the organization.

Ill be pretty disappointed if they pass on BPA for need. Not saying Ritchie can't be considered BPA, but with one of Bennett, MDC or Draisaitl guaranteed to be there at 5, I highly doubt it.

scott99

May 13, 2005
From the Isle's website.

Chief European Scout Velli-Pekka Kautonen

Scout Matti Kautto

I would guess they are both Finns, and exlains why we don't draft many Russians, only 2 since 2009 (Pedan and Kabanov). Finns typically do not like Russians very much. We've drafted 31% Euros (11 out of 35 picks) since 2009, some were playing in North America when we drafted them. 11 Euros since 2009, so about 2 a year, I guess there is a chance we pick some Euros.

Nikolai Koolaidman

Mar 7, 2014
I think we come to a general conclusion that we are picking MDC, Draisaitl or Ehlers assuming none of the top 3 drop.

What prospects in the 2nd round interest you other then the obvious goaltenders

F127

Feb 10, 2007
From the Isle's website.

Chief European Scout Velli-Pekka Kautonen

Scout Matti Kautto

I would guess they are both Finns, and exlains why we don't draft many Russians, only 2 since 2009 (Pedan and Kabanov). Finns typically do not like Russians very much. We've drafted 31% Euros (11 out of 35 picks) since 2009, some were playing in North America when we drafted them. 11 Euros since 2009, so about 2 a year, I guess there is a chance we pick some Euros.

Or it could be the fact that out of the last 4 drafts only 35 Russians have been drafted. 35 out of 840 players. I think around 30% Euros makes sense with the amount of North American talent. Personally I could care less about where they come from just that they become contributing NYI's at some point.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I think we come to a general conclusion that we are picking MDC, Draisaitl or Ehlers assuming none of the top 3 drop.

What prospects in the 2nd round interest you other then the obvious goaltenders

Here's the top NA goalies

N. American skatersEuro skatersN. American goaliesEuro goaliesRank Player Team League Hand Height Weight
1 DEMKO, THATCHER BOSTON COLLEGE H-EAST L 6' 3.75" 192
2 MCDONALD, MASON CHARLOTTETOWN QMJHL R 6' 4.0" 178
3 MORAN, BRENT NIAGARA OHL L 6' 3.5" 186
4 NEDELJKOVIC, ALEX PLYMOUTH OHL L 5' 11.75" 190
5 REICH, KEVIN DUBUQUE USHL L 6' 1.25" 208
6 HALVERSON, BRANDON SAULT STE. MARIE OHL L 6' 3.5" 176
7 MINNEY, EDWIN USA U-18 USHL L 6' 4.25" 191
8 PERRY, THOMAS (CHASE) WENATCHEE NAHL L 6' 2.5" 189
9 KASKISUO, KASIMIR MINNESOTA WILDERNESS NAHL L 6' 2.25" 201
10 BOUCHARD, KEVEN VAL-D'OR QMJHL L 6' 2.0" 205

And here's the top 10 Euro Goalies.

Rank Player Team League Hand Height Weight
1 HUSSO, VILLE HIFK FINLAND L 6' 3.0" 205
2 JOHANSSON, JONAS BRYNAS JR. SWEDEN-JR. L 6' 3.75" 198
3 SODERSTROM, LINUS DJURGARDEN JR. SWEDEN-JR. L 6' 3.5" 187
4 KAHKONEN, KAAPO BLUES JR. FINLAND-JR. L 6' 1.5" 209
5 SOROKIN, ILYA NOVOKUZNETSK RUSSIA L 6' 2.0" 167
6 MERZLIKINS, ELVIS LUGANO SWISS L 6' 3.0" 187
7 SHESTERKIN, IGOR SPARTAK 2 RUSSIA-JR. L 6' 1.0" 187
8 VANECEK, VITEK LIBEREC JR. CZREP-JR. L 6' 0.75" 180
9 PAJPACH, MAXIMILIAN SLOVAKIA U18 SLOVAKIA-2 L 6' 1.25" 207
10 NYFFELER, MELVIN ZURICH SWISS L 5' 10.0" 172

I'd like to see the Isles get McDonald, Moran or Nedeljkovic in the 2nd round (obviously of Demko is gone) and I'd love to see the Isles get one of Husso,Johansson or Soderstrom in rounds 3 or later.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Maybe, but with the new 4-year window to sign those players, it would be pretty smart to pick some Euros later in the draft. Goalies especially...

btw. is Anders Kallur their only Euro scout?

I think that goes along with how many NCAA kids we have drafted. Just 3 of our 7 picks last year were from the CHL, the rest are NCAA/Euro players. I think Garth is looking to use the 4 years to his advantage.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
A trade down may be in order. 5th for 10th, 28th and a 3rd in '15:

1(10): Robby Fabbri, C/LW; 5'10, 170; LH - CAN
1(28): Thatcher Demko, G; 6'4, 190; LH - USA
2(35): Eric Cornel, C; 6'2, 185; RH - CAN
2(52): John Quenneville, C; 6'1, 180; LH - CAN
3(65): Ville Husso, G; 6'3, 205; LH - FIN
3(77): Adam Ollas-Mattsson, D; 6'4, 210; LH - SWE
4(95): Keegan Iverson, RW; 6'0, 220; RH - USA
4(107): Ryan Mantha, D; 6'5, 225; RH - USA

Completely restock the forward and goaltending positions, while adding a couple of more big defensemen to keep the system deep in that area. Only one guy drafted under 6'0, who happens to be my favorite prospect in this draft.

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Hey, I can't be any worse than George Plimpton was (for you oldtimers). For you youngsters, he was a famous journalist who decided to attend the Detroit Lions training camp as a player, and as a skinny rookie, he took quite a beating. Wrote a book called "Paper Lion" I believe.

He then followed that up by playing goal for the Bruins I believe.

Interesting trivia bit for those of us who live in South Florida . . . Paper Lion was filmed at the Saint Andrew's school in Boca.

He did play for the Bruins and also pitched to an All-Star team in Yankee Stadium, got in the ring with Archie Moore and also participated in pro-am events on the PGA tour (The Bogey Man is the title if memory serves).

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
If Bennett is available at 5 you praise whatever god you believe in and sprint to the podium to read out his name., I wouldn't look to trade, just add him to our system and let him grow into a really top player for us to call on down the road.

Never say never.

What if Anaheim offers Anderson and Ottawa's first?

You take it and take either Perlini or Virtanen, whichever is left.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Never say never.

Some would consider it a HUGE overpayment by Anaheim, but I'm not exactly overwhelmed by Anderson.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
Never say never.

I completely understand what your saying but if we are about to make our selection of the 5th pick and Bennett is still available, I would 100% select him. With Bennett, you are selecting someone who has potentially, franchise 1c level talent that you rarely get an opportunity to draft.

Even with our depth at center right now, in two or three years it might not be such a strength. Nelson might be 1st line wing, Nielsen could be gone, Strome might end up on the wing and Cizikas might end up on the wing. Point is we have no idea what we will need in a few years time so by taking the best player available, in my opinion, sets us up long term.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I completely understand what your saying but if we are about to make our selection of the 5th pick and Bennett is still available, I would 100% select him. With Bennett, you are selecting someone who has potentially, franchise 1c level talent that you rarely get an opportunity to draft.

Even with our depth at center right now, in two or three years it might not be such a strength. Nelson might be 1st line wing, Nielsen could be gone, Strome might end up on the wing and Cizikas might end up on the wing. Point is we have no idea what we will need in a few years time so by taking the best player available, in my opinion, sets us up long term.

I don't think center will be a need for quite some time, but I'd still take Bennett without a 2nd thought if he's there at 5.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Of course the Isles will do the "smarter than the rest of the room" move which they love to make and trade out of the spot.

Seriously, if they don't take Bennett at that spot and you hear a loud scream coming out of Plainview-Old Bethpage area, that would be me.

Generally Garth waits until at the very least the 2nd round to make his "smarter than the rest of the room" picks.

2013 - Pulock - solid pick approved by Isles fanbase
2012 - Reinhart - solid pick approved by Isles fanbase
2011 - Strome - solid pick approved by Isles fanbase
2010 - Nino - solid pick approved by Isles fanbase (at the time)
2010 - Nelson - solid pick approved by Isles fanbase
2009 - Tavares - solid pick that made the Coliseum go bats*** crazy
2009 - DeHaan - questionable pick at the time but these days he's definitely approved by Isles fanbase

So you basically have to go all the way back to 2008 and the Bailey pick to find a 1st rounder you can really criticize Snow for.

MarginallyTalented

Mar 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
I think we all know Garth wants MDC pretty bad, he hits all the checkmarks on their lists. If he's not available at 5, I just have a gut feeling he will take Ritchie because he fits two major needs: skilled winger and size. Garth likes his OHL forwards and I can't see him drafting Ehlers or Nylander over Ritchie tbh even though they are excellent prospects who are just as good/better than Ritchie. I have no idea with Draisaitl, I think Garth either loves him and sprints to the podium to call his name if he's available or just hates the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad