OT: 2014 NFL/NCAA Football Discussion Thread: Everything is Awful

Status
Not open for further replies.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
I agree with the sentiment here, the giants are much more talented defensively than they are offensively, who other than Cruz on our offense scares you right now?.. Randle is looking more and more like a bust, bad things simply happen when you throw to him, JJ looks lost, we have no tight end, and the OL is horrible.

Peyton Manning couldn't do anything with this offense.

What makes anyone think Cruz is anything special in this offense? He made his living off his option routes in the slot. Those no longer exist

Randle isn't a bust. He's an average WR.

And the TE position was probably the best performing position they had in that game

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Erm, not really.

Most Giants fans who are actually knowledgable want David Shaw.

Yea. There are lots of better coaches out there than Cowher.

Kevin Sumlin, Ray Horton, Brian Kelly, etc etc.

Personally I would prefer a younger coach. Someone in their 30s or 40s. Like what the steelers do

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yea. There are lots of better coaches out there than Cowher.

Kevin Sumlin, Ray Horton, Brian Kelly, etc etc.

Personally I would prefer a younger coach. Someone in their 30s or 40s. Like what the steelers do

That's why I am all in on Shaw. He'd be the perfect coach for this team. Frankly, I think he'd actually leave Stanford for the Giants, too.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
That's why I am all in on Shaw. He'd be the perfect coach for this team. Frankly, I think he'd actually leave Stanford for the Giants, too.

I would have no issue with Shaw.

Giants need an offensive minded HC, as well, IMO.

Of course any new coach would also want to bring in a new QB, so I would not be surprised if they did both the same year. Could very easily be next year for both. Could also theoretically bring in Shaw and draft his QB in Hogan.

Though perhaps Shaw would ideally prefer someone else. There is little doubt that McAdoo would love a QB who is a bit more mobile, not a runner, but someone who is capable on rollouts/bootlegs at least. Hogan can do that stuff. Eli not so much

Last edited:

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
What makes anyone think Cruz is anything special in this offense? He made his living off his option routes in the slot. Those no longer exist

Randle isn't a bust. He's an average WR.

And the TE position was probably the best performing position they had in that game

he made a couple nice catches and could become an option. Also seemed to have made a couple nice drops. No receiver is will to catch the ball and get hit. A few times I saw them pulling up. That is going to hurt the offense; well, that, a bad line, no running game, average receivers and the book is still out on Eli.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
I would have no issue with Shaw.

Giants need an offensive minded HC, as well, IMO.

Of course any new coach would also want to bring in a new QB, so I would not be surprised if they did both the same year. Could very easily be next year for both. Could also theoretically bring in Shaw and draft his QB in Hogan.

Though perhaps Shaw would ideally prefer someone else. There is little doubt that McAdoo would love a QB who is a bit more mobile, not a runner, but someone who is capable on rollouts/bootlegs at least. Hogan can do that stuff. Eli not so much

why would any coach want to bring in a new QB? And from where is that QB coming? I'm not writing off Eli as an NFL QB just yet, and I'd think there are prospective coaches out there thinking they can do something with him; at least get a crack at doing something.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I'm not giving up after one loss.

But one thing continues to bother me: Eli's decision making.

Isn't a QB supposed to become smarter as they get older? It's easy to blame the line but he butchered throws in all pass scenarios.

I hope we aren't going to have to pay for those SB MVP's. I keep asking myself how the hell did this guy beat Matt Ryan, Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, Brett Favre and a Peak Romo in the postseason.

I'm becoming less of an Eli fan as the years go by.

AHB*

Isn't a QB supposed to become smarter as they get older? It's easy to blame the line but he butchered throws in all pass scenarios.

I hope we aren't going to have to pay for those SB MVP's. I keep asking myself how the hell did this guy beat Matt Ryan, Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, Brett Favre and a Peak Romo in the postseason.

He didn't beat them, the Giants amazing defense did.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site

I think we all are, but at the same time the play calling hasn't seemed too great, the receivers are mediocre and the best receiver (Nicks) was oft-injured, the running game went away and Manning has been under constant pressure. Further, the offense was one-dimensional. Can't run, have to pass. Didn't really have a tight end to pass to. Could not swing out to a RB. Can't screen. What's left? Cruz on a slant? Got old quickly. The QB is at the center of it all. It's more than just him.And while he takes the blame, is he the only one not knowing what the play he called is? If guys aren't turning around for balls, or coming back for balls, or doing what it takes and it's all Eli's fault, then yes, he's become an idiot since he's the one who calls the play in the huddle and audibles. I'd hope he'd know it. Saw it last season too. He'd throw an interception and motion why did you go that way. Troubling he hasn't been on the same page as his receivers the last couple season and one needs to ask why. I can't answer.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst

Come on. Eli was nothing short of phenomenal those two postseasons.

15-2 TD:INT ratio and over 100 rating in 2008/2012 combined.

The defense orchestrated game-winning drives? The drive against the Niners?

You can credit the defense for keeping the games close but Eli won them.

I can't believe I just had to explain that to someone.

AHB*

Come on. Eli was nothing short of phenomenal those two postseasons.

15-2 TD:INT ratio and over 100 rating in 2008/2012 combined.

The defense orchestrated game-winning drives? The drive against the Niners?

You can credit the defense for keeping the games close but Eli won them.

I can't believe I just had to explain that to someone.

You asked how he beat those QB's. Those QB's were all but shutdown by that defense. Eli did his part, but the defense was unreal.

You get so hostile in your responses all the time, it's literally impossible to have a discussion with you and i wasn't even disagreeing with your point.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
why would any coach want to bring in a new QB? And from where is that QB coming? I'm not writing off Eli as an NFL QB just yet, and I'd think there are prospective coaches out there thinking they can do something with him; at least get a crack at doing something.

No coaches want to come in and take a crack at working with a 35 year old declining QB. Even if they get him playing well for a year or two they are already behind the 8 ball. Eli isn't going to play forever.

And if you think the giants aren't going to draft a QB pretty highly over the next season or two... Well

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
You asked how he beat those QB's. Those QB's were all but shutdown by that defense. Eli did his part, but the defense was unreal.

You get so hostile in your responses all the time, it's literally impossible to have a discussion with you and i wasn't even disagreeing with your point.

2011 way more credit goes to Eli than the defense. He shredded everyone particularly late in games.

2007 was more a combination of the run game and Eli playing mistake free. But he did make some huge clutch throws.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
No coaches want to come in and take a crack at working with a 35 year old declining QB. Even if they get him playing well for a year or two they are already behind the 8 ball. Eli isn't going to play forever.

I wouldn't doubt that there are some coaches who wouldn't mind taking over for Belichick and his "has-been" of a QB.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
I wouldn't doubt that there are some coaches who wouldn't mind taking over for Belichick and his "has-been" of a QB.

Any coach who comes into the patriots is going to draft a QB high. Even the coach they have now is doing that

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site

And if you think the giants aren't going to draft a QB pretty highly over the next season or two... Well

you think? If Coughlin announced he was retiring at the end of the season, I think a lot of people would be stepping up to coach. There have been people who took positions in far less enviable positions. heck, Mcadoo came here to put his career on the line when he could be hanging with Aaron Rodgers. More responsibility, more pay, but also a real chance to fail in his first try if all's really that bad.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Yes, especially after trading Mallet. But Brady is going to play until he sucks and he doesn't suck yet.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

This is absolutely ********..

vs TB.. 20-27 for 185 yards and 2 touchdowns.
vs Dallas 12-18 for 163 yards and 2 touchdowns.
vs GB. 21-40 for 254 yards
vs NE 19-35 for 255 yards and 2 touchdowns (including the game winning score right after Brady came back and put the Patriots on top).

vs ATL. 23-32 for 277 yards and 3 touchdowns.
vs GB. 21-33 for 333 yards and 3 touchdowns.
vs SF.. 32-58 for 316 yards and 2 touchdowns. (lets not remember how many times he got sacked and hit this game and kept getting up)
vs NE.. 30-40 for 296 yards and 1 touchdown. (Nothing better than the sideline throw to Manningham on the final drive).

Say what you want about how Eli has been lately, but saying He wasn't the most important part of those 2 SB championships is freaking assanine.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
you think? If Coughlin announced he was retiring at the end of the season, I think a lot of people would be stepping up to coach. There have been people who took positions in far less enviable positions.

Huh? When did I say anything about nobody wanting to coach the team?

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
This is absolutely ********..

vs TB.. 20-27 for 185 yards and 2 touchdowns.
vs Dallas 12-18 for 163 yards and 2 touchdowns.
vs GB. 21-40 for 254 yards
vs NE 19-35 for 255 yards and 2 touchdowns (including the game winning score right after Brady came back and put the Patriots on top).

vs ATL. 23-32 for 277 yards and 3 touchdowns.
vs GB. 21-33 for 333 yards and 3 touchdowns.
vs SF.. 32-58 for 316 yards and 2 touchdowns. (lets not remember how many times he got sacked and hit this game and kept getting up)
vs NE.. 30-40 for 296 yards and 1 touchdown. (Nothing better than the sideline throw to Manningham on the final drive).

Say what you want about how Eli has been lately, but saying He wasn't the most important part of those 2 SB championships is freaking assanine.

In 2007, the Giants defense was the primary reason for winning that Super Bowl. Eli played a significant part, but the defense was a greater influence in ultimately making that run in the playoffs.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst

OK.

Just to be clear, I don't post here to engage in discussion. I like to make my point and move along.

Rarely do I respond to people's posts unless it's a response to something I said.

Just how I am. If you think I'm hostile, don't respond only to complain about me being hostile.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
In 2007, the Giants defense was the primary reason for winning that Super Bowl. Eli played a significant part, but the defense was a greater influence in ultimately making that run in the playoffs.

Yes, but Eli also played mistake free football, and ended up taking us down the field and making clutch plays after the defense (which DID play great) allowed what could have been GW touchdowns.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Yes, but Eli also played mistake free football, and ended up taking us down the field and making clutch plays after the defense (which DID play great) allowed what could have been GW touchdowns.

Totally agree with you. Just saying that without that defense it is extremely unlikely they make that run to the Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad