OT: 2014 NFL/NCAA Football Discussion Thread: Everything is Awful

Status
Not open for further replies.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
some bad tackling too however.

Yea there was some of that. That needs to get tightened up.

The wide open receivers was the biggest issue. And despite some saying that was Fewell and his soft zone, of course it wasent. That was Thurmond and DRC not knowing the defensive play calls.

There is an article floating around about how Rolle and Brown have to give DRC a translated play call so he understands what he's supposed to do

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Yea there was some of that. That needs to get tightened up.

The wide open receivers was the biggest issue. And despite some saying that was Fewell and his soft zone, of course it wasent. That was Thurmond and DRC not knowing the defensive play calls.

There is an article floating around about how Rolle and Brown have to give DRC a translated play call so he understands what he's supposed to do

DRC did little to back up the amount of **** he talked this week about shutting down megatron, as far as him not knowing the plays it'd probably help if he joined the defensive huddle, his thing with Denver was to line up outside while the rest of the defense huddles to see how the play breaks, I think he needs to figure out our own defense before he try's to read the opposing offense.

NYRCSKA*

Well at least we know who isn't making the playoffs this year. I'm supposed to be really busy this fall, nice to know I won't be missing much when I have to travel on game days.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
DRC did little to back up the amount of **** he talked this week about shutting down megatron, as far as him not knowing the plays it'd probably help if he joined the defensive huddle, his thing with Denver was to line up outside while the rest of the defense huddles to see how the play breaks, I think he needs to figure out our own defense before he try's to read the opposing offense.

Thurmond was actually the one who said that Johnson had weaknesses, not DRC.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I'm not going to bury Eli just yet when:
-we couldn't run the ball, at all.
-he's coming off of foot surgery.
-it's the first game.
With that being said, he was dreadful last night. He was missing on almost every throw.

The defense was an abortion. So many coverage breakdowns. Our ends and outside blitzers blew contain on Stafford over and over. Just a very frustrating game to watch.

But hey, there's nowhere to go but up. As cliche as it sounds, I've lived to see 4 superbowl wins in my (relatively) short life, so I have a much more laid back attitude than I used to pre-2008. I'm not going to get my blood pressure up over a bad game, or even a poor season, for that matter.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
-it's the first game.
With that being said, he was dreadful last night. He was missing on almost every throw.

The defense was an abortion. So many coverage breakdowns. Our ends and outside blitzers blew contain on Stafford over and over. Just a very frustrating game to watch.

But hey, there's nowhere to go but up. As cliche as it sounds, I've lived to see 4 superbowl wins in my (relatively) short life, so I have a much more laid back attitude than I used to pre-2008. I'm not going to get my blood pressure up over a bad game, or even a poor season, for that matter.
Giant fans have had it easy to be honest. I mean 4 superbowls in less than 30 years is pretty darn good. 2 within the last 6. Im a jets fan so the vietnam war was in full force when they last appeared and i wanst even alive :laugh:

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
-it's the first game.

I wanted to bury Eli after his first series, although after all, it was the first, but as the game progressed, it just wasn't really on him. He calls for audibles and throws balls to receivers who aren't even looking. Thinking they don't know the system. He's rolling out and his receivers are blocking. He was hit 9 times and sacked twice (his counterpart hit once and sacked once). There was no running game. And while some passes were errand, there wasn't anyone coming up and making a play. Receivers were hearing footsteps and not going for the ball. Cruz waits for a ball and it's picked off. The coaching staff did not prepare this team. Then, pushing up field for a score, they're letting 40 seconds tick off each play when down three scores and it wasn't over...well, I guess it was. The defense and offense were pretty pathetic. Both systems broke down. They're rushing two and dropping back a couple big guys to cover the middle but leaving Megatron open. Megatron getting behind guys. The biggest receiver on the field is left alone. Again, this team was not prepared and I've seen too much of them not being prepared the last couple years. Heck, Detroit was not spectacular. Just a bad game for the Giants.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
We need a new quarterback. I'm a huge Eli fan, but this system isn't right for him. You have to be somewhat mobile for this system.

Time will tell, I expect the offense to improve slightly by the end of the year. But, the Giants just aren't that good.

maybe they got the wrong coordinator. Eli was the QB. He's been there for a while and he's had much success. He's struggled, and there's no argument there, but one needs to ask why he's struggled. He hasn't seemed to be on the same page with receivers for a couple seasons, for some reason, and I'd say his receivers aren't top notch. Even Cruz. He's great here and there, invisible elsewhere, and I'm not sure he strikes a lot of fear into anyone. Then you've had an offensive line that hasn't given Eli time to throw. Yea, he needs to get rid of the ball more quickly and go through his reads more quickly, but he also needs more time back there. Then they bring in a new system that seems meant for a more mobile QB. He did get into a rhythm on a couple series last night. There was encouragement, but at the same time, there was no running game (as there wasn't last season), there's no offensive line push (or hold), backs can't catch out of the backfield, screens are a joke, receivers are afraid of the middle, and besides Eli, his receivers also don't seem to know the system. There's a lot wrong. It's not dire, although it looks that way, but it has not looked good for a while.q

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
The defense looked worse because of how bad the offense was. The defense had zero rest.

Didn't the defense give up a TD on the first series? Gave up two TDs in the first quarter and it didn't seem tired - it seemed lost. Johnson alone was not tiredness - it was lost assignments. They did not get to Stafford early. The tone was set. By the Lions.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
I never understood the McAdoo choice. His system doesn't play to Eli's strength and you really need a cohesive O-line.

enamored with the Packers' offense. An offense whose QB is more mobile. Last night it was apparent that it was a curious choice. Saw some bits of moving the ball well, but perhaps that was just a blip since even the worst offenses out there have a random drive here and there. The worst part was QB and receivers were on a different page, although it seemed as though safeties and corners were also on different pages at times. Oh well...bring on the Cardinals!

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Terry Pegula is single-handedly saving Buffalo sports.

What do rich people buy, JJ Watt? Sports teams. Multiple.

I never understood the McAdoo choice. His system doesn't play to Eli's strength and you really need a cohesive O-line.

We've now seen six games of McAdoo's offense. There was no consistent moment in any of those six games where the first-team offense proved they could make this system work.

It is nauseating.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
The very simple fact is the just do not have enough talent on offense, in my opinion. And it is especially hard to win in the NFL without a line.

AHB*

Lucky you. I should have never passed him up. My opponent had Stafford and Julius Thomas (who killed me on sunday). Those two alone almost outscored my entire team.

I have to say. I liked what I saw on Sunday from Geno.

Depends who you passed him up for. :naughty:

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Think Coughlin is gone by Week 8. Anyone good as far as top college prospects go for 2015?

BarbaraAlphanse

Coughlin being fired and Cowher assuming the role is every Giant fan's dream.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I agree with the sentiment here, the giants are much more talented defensively than they are offensively, who other than Cruz on our offense scares you right now?.. Randle is looking more and more like a bust, bad things simply happen when you throw to him, JJ looks lost, we have no tight end, and the OL is horrible.

Peyton Manning couldn't do anything with this offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad