2014 Mock Draft By Team Board Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Sad thing is, Flames get whoever we pass on, and if they end up with Bennett I get the feeling he sticks it to us every game for passing on him.
Yeah I'm not happy with the Flames drafting behind us either. I'd almost rather go behind them because if their prospect turns out to be better it's fifteen years of :facepalm:

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
What defenceman can we draft that will have any impact?

We can't draft d-man.. in 20 years the best d-man we've drafted may be Petry or Poti.

god that's beyond pathetic.

McDeathbyCheerios*

We can't draft d-man.. in 20 years the best d-man we've drafted may be Petry or Poti.

Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse have all looked great so far. Didn't we draft Matt Greene as well? Drafting used to be hard for the Oilers cause we didn't have a farm team to develop any of the prospects.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Yeah I'm not happy with the Flames drafting behind us either. I'd almost rather go behind them because if their prospect turns out to be better it's fifteen years of :facepalm:

I don't think it's a big deal, we just have to try and get it right. We've actually been right next to each other a few times in recent-ish drafts.

in 2001 we drafted Ales Hemsky at 13th overall and Calgary selected Chuck Kobasew at 14th overall.

in 2004 Calgary selected Kris Chucko at 24th and we selected Rob Schremp at 25th, they both busted but Schremp as much I diss him was a far better player than Chucko. (the kicker on this one is Vancouver selected Cory Schneider at 26th overall)

in 2005 we drafted Andrew Cogliano at 25th overall and Calgary selected Matt Pelech at 26th overall.

Lastly in 2013 which is soon enough that I'm guessing everyone can still remember Calgary seleced Sean Monahan at 6th overall and we drafted Darnell Nurse at 7th overall.

So in 3 of those 4 cases we got the better player, and Darnell Nurse is yet TBD but Monahan will be a tough one to top. The bad part is that none of those players despite being better than their respective Calgary counterparts, we have nothing material to really to show for it.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse have all looked great so far. Didn't we draft Matt Greene as well? Drafting used to be hard for the Oilers cause we didn't have a farm team to develop any of the prospects.

Hey I'll leave Marincin, Kefbom, and Nurse out.

But I will say if Matt Greene is the best we have to show from 20 years is drafting.. just proves my ponit.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

I agree wholeheartedly that it is beyond pathetic. But part of that is that the Oilers almost never draft d-men with first rounders.

Since 2000 they've drafted Plante, Klefbom and Nurse in the 1st round as d-men. That's it. 17 first round draft picks and 3 of them have been d-men. Nurse was the first time the Oilers used their first pick to draft a d-man since 1998. Before that, it was 1989. In the last 25 years the Oilers have drafted a d-man with their first pick three times. It's no wonder this team never is able to get high end d-men. They never even bother trying to draft them.

The Oilers have undoubtedly been awful at drafting and developing d-men. But your chances at getting a good one are going to be significantly worse if you never actually take that d-man.

Just to compare to a team that is pretty good at drafting d-men, with 12 picks in the first round since 2000 the Nashville predators have drafted 6 d-men with those picks. 50% vs 18%

Seth Jones
Ryan Suter
Dan Hamhuis
Ryan Ellis
Jonathan Blum
Ryan Parent

All but one of those guys played in the NHL this year. Draft more d-men, you have a better shot at actually developing them.

Last edited:

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I don't think it's a big deal, we just have to try and get it right. We've actually been right next to each other a few times in recent-ish drafts.

in 2001 we drafted Ales Hemsky at 13th overall and Calgary selected Chuck Kobasew at 14th overall.

in 2004 Calgary selected Kris Chucko at 24th and we selected Rob Schremp at 25th, they both busted but Schremp as much I diss him was a far better player than Chucko. (the kicker on this one is Vancouver selected Cory Schneider at 26th overall)

in 2005 we drafted Andrew Cogliano at 25th overall and Calgary selected Matt Pelech at 26th overall.

Lastly in 2013 which is soon enough that I'm guessing everyone can still remember Calgary seleced Sean Monahan at 6th overall and we drafted Darnell Nurse at 7th overall.

So in 3 of those 4 cases we got the better player, and Darnell Nurse is yet TBD but Monahan will be a tough one to top. The bad part is that none of those players despite being better than their respective Calgary counterparts, we have nothing material to really to show for it.

We should never worry about what other teams draft. It's totally out of our control. Worry instead about your own choices. The Oilers had made that mistake in the past a lot of times.

DearOldUncleTony

Mar 21, 2014
We should never worry about what other teams draft. It's totally out of our control. Worry instead about your own choices. The Oilers had made that mistake in the past a lot of times.

The point is you don't leave a better player on the board when you're drafting this high especially because whoever falls to us out of top 3 (Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett) will 100% be taken by Calgary. It's no guarantee Calgary takes Draisaitl and might very well end up favouring Dal Colle. This draft is very important and will be talked about for years to come if we reach out of the top 3. Calgary picking behind us should (hopefully) give us more incentive to not do anything stupid.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The point is you don't leave a better player on the board when you're drafting this high especially because whoever falls to us out of top 3 (Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett) will 100% be taken by Calgary. It's no guarantee Calgary takes Draisaitl and might very well end up favouring Dal Colle. This draft is very important and will be talked about for years to come if we reach out of the top 3. Calgary picking behind us should (hopefully) give us more incentive to not to anything stupid.

Well honestly Dal Colle (or even Ritchie) could end up as good as Bennett and/or Draisaitl in the NHL over the course of their careers.

There's no way to guarantee you get the best player because it's unknown which of those players will reach their ceilings and which ones will come up short.

Short of drafting generational "sure things" aka a Crosby/Gretzky/Lemieux etc... there's always risk that a team leaves better players on the board for those teams drafting afterwards.

Happens every single draft and will happen this draft as well.

Put it this way... what are the odds that the Oilers draft at #3 the 3rd best player in this draft over the course of their (hopefully 10-20 year NHL careers)? I'd say it's very slim as looking at past draft results... there's almost always a sleeper that is drafted past #3 that ends up being VERY good but it's of course impossible to identify them unless you have a working crystal ball.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The point is you don't leave a better player on the board when you're drafting this high especially because whoever falls to us out of top 3 (Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett) will 100% be taken by Calgary. It's no guarantee Calgary takes Draisaitl and might very well end up favouring Dal Colle. This draft is very important and will be talked about for years to come if we reach out of the top 3. Calgary picking behind us should (hopefully) give us more incentive to not do anything stupid.

I would hope no organization would let the team picking behind them affect who they want to draft one spot earlier.

DearOldUncleTony

Mar 21, 2014
So if it was the Islanders picking 4th and not the Flames it would be okay to reach with the pick (not that it would actually be a reach). But as it is the Flames we better not?

Not saying it would be okay, it would just be less worse because they player we snubbed (Bennett) is the kind of player who would use it as extra motivation to not only put up points against us, but if we pass on Bennett and Calgary drafts him I can see him being more inclined to use the physical part of his game. It's more of a testament to Bennett as opposed to a 100% foolproof drafting strategy, and I'm not saying that we should draft whoever Calgary likes the most or whatever, just saying that when your rival is picking directly behind you this high in a draft it can add some extra motivation to not muck the pick up. If they really covet Draisaitl so much they should swap picks and at least get an asset out of their stupidity. Again, not saying that Draisaitl sucks, just that Bennett is the kind of guy where every time we see him play he will let us know why we should have picked him, which is especially frightening considering we'll play him like 5 times a year.

Last edited:

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Draisaitl, we need size in the top 6 and down the middle.

I also like how he was a +22 last season (with 21 goals in the WHL)
Bennet was a -2 with 18 goals in the OHL.

Last edited:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
What defenseman is actually out there that will actually have the same value long term as this pick?

Remember that the Oilers aren't going to be winning for awhile still.

Josi or Jones maybe from Nashville
I would trade this pick straight up for Jones actually

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
I posted this in the other thread. But why not trade pick. Lets say to flyers for couturier and coburn. Fills 2 big holes. 2C who is defensively sound and a 1/2D man. My only concern is centering perron and yak, two shooters, do the oilers need a play making centerman btw them. ie. Draisiatli?

Coburn has NTC. Impossible.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
So why not Ritchie? If we're gonna reach out of the consensus top 3 for size, why not go all the way?

I would do this if we were to trade down

To Toronto: 3rd Overall + Musil
To Edmonton: Gardiner + 8th Overall (Ritchie)

Then flip Perron for Schenn

Hall/RNH/Eberle
Ritchie/Schenn/Yakupov

Marincin/Petry
Gardiner/J.Schultz
Ference/______

Would like to see some more changes on defense but MacT won't be able to overhaul the defense unless if he trades one of the kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad