2014 Mock Draft By Team Board Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Voted Bennett as he seems to be the consensus among scouts, but would be fine with Draisaitl too.

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
I posted this in the other thread. But why not trade pick. Lets say to flyers for couturier and coburn. Fills 2 big holes. 2C who is defensively sound and a 1/2D man. My only concern is centering perron and yak, two shooters, do the oilers need a play making centerman btw them. ie. Draisiatli?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Still doesn't matter, the Oilers need a big 2-way guy. I'm not even sure Draisaitl fills that need. IMO I think you guys should stop drafting and start competing, I was talking to a leaf fan recently and he said he'd be fine trading Phaneuf (salary retained), 8th OA, and Gauthier for the 3 OA. Could put Edmonton in a spot to draft Ritchie (a powerforward) or trade the pick.

Lol. We should really listen to Leaf fans.

I'm okay with trading the pick but not for junk like Celine nor to downgrade the pick.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I posted this in the other thread. But why not trade pick. Lets say to flyers for couturier and coburn. Fills 2 big holes. 2C who is defensively sound and a 1/2D man. My only concern is centering perron and yak, two shooters, do the oilers need a play making centerman btw them. ie. Draisiatli?

Couturier is a very nice passer. But why do the Flyers trade their best d-man and their 2nd best center for a draft pick?

Obviously if a deal like that was available you would do it (at least imo), but what would possibly possess the Flyers to make that deal. It's not like they are trying to rebuild.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Bennett by the slightest of margins, I kind of want Draisatl more cause of his puck protection skills, playmaking ability, frame, and boardwork; but Draisatl looks further away from being NHL ready between the two and needs to round out his game more. Bennett is just a little more of a sure bet.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Our best forward is Taylor hall! Ebs,nuge,Perron are close seconds. Draisaitil will be the best compliment for our best forwards.

There are some rankings that even have Bennett as the best Forward of this Draft.

None have Draisaitl as the best Forward.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Why does Philly do it? They weaken their team in the short term and unless the guy that they pick at 3 is much better than Couturier long term they lose the trade long term too.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Bennett by the slightest of margins, I kind of want Draisatl more cause of his puck protection skills, playmaking ability, frame, and boardwork; but Draisatl looks further away from being NHL ready between the two and needs to round out his game more. Bennett is just a little more of a sure bet.

I feel like NHL readiness should be at the bottom of the list in terms of importance. If we've learned anything by now it should be that no matter how good these guys are at the junior level, not even the very best in the world are legitimately going to help you win in the short term. Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, not even Sidney Crosby with a 100 point rookie season... These guys couldn't help their team be anything better in their rookie years.

Gotta take whoever you think will be the best for the team in the next 10 years. Not who will be the best next year or the year after.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I feel like NHL readiness should be at the bottom of the list in terms of importance. If we've learned anything by now it should be that no matter how good these guys are at the junior level, not even the very best in the world are legitimately going to help you win in the short term. Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, not even Sidney Crosby with a 100 point rookie season... These guys couldn't help their team be anything better in their rookie years.

Gotta take whoever you think will be the best for the team in the next 10 years. Not who will be the best next year or the year after.

I like the sentiment and I think a Draisatl at his full potential would help this club more than Bennett at his full potential, but I don't want a lot of uncertainty or someone who is a bit of a project when I am selecting that high in the draft. Draisatl has a lot going for him, but Bennett is a better skater, a better release on his shot, and is better defensively at the moment.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I picked Bennett but just barely...I love Draisaitl's size and puck protection ability, also he could put up big points with Perron and Yak on his wings

But if Sam Bennett can become a Toews/Mike Richards type player, I think you go with that 2-way centers that compete as hard as anyone on your team..these guys are winners

I think the Oilers love Draisaitl but Bennett will become the most complete player of the two

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Drasiatal might not be the best pick but I've accepted that's who the oilers will pick. He'll be a good player but I can see him taking 5-7 years to find his stride.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Still doesn't matter, the Oilers need a big 2-way guy. I'm not even sure Draisaitl fills that need. IMO I think you guys should stop drafting and start competing, I was talking to a leaf fan recently and he said he'd be fine trading Phaneuf (salary retained), 8th OA, and Gauthier for the 3 OA. Could put Edmonton in a spot to draft Ritchie (a powerforward) or trade the pick.

Well that settles it then! Lol.

Why do people post this nonsense? What difference does it make what your friend thinks, unless he's the GM of the leafs it's irrelevant.

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
There are some rankings that even have Bennett as the best Forward of this Draft.

None have Draisaitl as the best Forward.

I've wondered about this. Is there any chance he go's top two. Every year we've watched the dmen drop in the draft, why should this year be any different? Is Ekblad that much better than Jones?(serious question)

Also, is Reinhardt a tear above Bennett?

I ask because I don't follow the CHL that close. I think we need the 2C as much as a #1D so I'd be sad if Bennett was gone before we pick.

But what I really hate is that no matter who we pick we're leaving something good on the table for the dirt bag Flames and that doesn't sit we'll with me. :rant:

JJTopper

Registered Creeper
Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
But what I really hate is that no matter who we pick we're leaving something good on the table for the dirt bag Flames and that doesn't sit we'll with me. :rant:

If only Feaster was still in charge. He'd trade down four times to draft a beer league kid. :laugh:

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
This is how its going to go down.

Pre draft presser:

Burke "If LD is on the board were picking him. He's the best player in the draft"

Draft table:

MacT "Guys I thought we all agreed that Bennett was our guy but porcupine said that LD is the best player in the draft???"

"The Edmonton Oilers are proud to select.....from the Prince Albert Raiders Leon Draisaitl"

Burke "ha ha it lay eggs now"

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I wouldn't doubt if Reinhart and Bennet go 1/2. I could then see the Oilers drafting Ekblad and then offering Yakupov to NYI if Cakgary passes on LD.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
With how the top 2 picks went down, what we have left is Sam Bennett, and everyone else.

Sam Bennett should be the guy by a landslide.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
that's where I am on this, but apparently a bunch of people will be pissed off if we don't pick bennett

I started out a LD hater, but have since found acceptance in the fact that is likely who we end up with. Watching Getzlaf and Thornton in these playoffs leaves me wanting someone like that to play with Hall and Perron. LD fits the bill better. That said, voted Bennett because he's the more complete talent. I wouldn't call it a coin flip, but I can now live with the idea of Draisaitl. Sad thing is, Flames get whoever we pass on, and if they end up with Bennett I get the feeling he sticks it to us every game for passing on him. Plays with a chip on his shoulder already, probably goes full beast mode to prove a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad