2014 Mock Draft By Team Board Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
Why Bennett? He's another small skilled player Edmonton does not need. I don't care if he hits in CHL, he's barely 6' 180 and will not match up against opposing centers in the division. At least with Draisaitl you get a big guy. Preferably you should trade the pick.

Never heard Nathan MacKinnon?

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
So why not Ritchie? If we're gonna reach out of the consensus top 3 for size, why not go all the way?

because we need someone who can play center with Size. Gagner hasn't worked out there, we've established that. RNH can defend but he's often outmatched. Sam Reinhart would be the best option along with Ekblad. My top two choices for sure.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
I don't think it's a big deal, we just have to try and get it right. We've actually been right next to each other a few times in recent-ish drafts.

in 2001 we drafted Ales Hemsky at 13th overall and Calgary selected Chuck Kobasew at 14th overall.

in 2004 Calgary selected Kris Chucko at 24th and we selected Rob Schremp at 25th, they both busted but Schremp as much I diss him was a far better player than Chucko. (the kicker on this one is Vancouver selected Cory Schneider at 26th overall)

in 2005 we drafted Andrew Cogliano at 25th overall and Calgary selected Matt Pelech at 26th overall.

Lastly in 2013 which is soon enough that I'm guessing everyone can still remember Calgary seleced Sean Monahan at 6th overall and we drafted Darnell Nurse at 7th overall.

So in 3 of those 4 cases we got the better player, and Darnell Nurse is yet TBD but Monahan will be a tough one to top. The bad part is that none of those players despite being better than their respective Calgary counterparts, we have nothing material to really to show for it.
The stakes are much higher at 3 vs 4 tho. This is franchise player territory.

I heard a stat about 8 years ago, there had only been 1 team in the previous 20 years that had won the Cup without a top 5 draft pick of their own that they had developed.

I don't want the Oil drafting in this territory for the next 20 years. They have to strike gold here. I don't have faith in RNH staying healthy or in Yak developing in the current system. This could end up being our #1c.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The stakes are much higher at 3 vs 4 tho. This is franchise player territory.

I heard a stat about 8 years ago, there had only been 1 team in the previous 20 years that had won the Cup without a top 5 draft pick of their own that they had developed.

I don't want the Oil drafting in this territory for the next 20 years. They have to strike gold here. I don't have faith in RNH staying healthy or in Yak developing in the current system. This could end up being our #1c.

Well playing Devil's Advocate... Bennett is the type of player that "might" be injury prone at the NHL level with his type of playing style... at least as much as RNH. Bennett may be more physical and may be able to handle the NHL grind more so than RNH but he also plays a much more "cantankerous" game which could lead to more injuries vs larger/beefier NHL competition.

Likewise Draisaitl out of all the top picks likely needs the most work with his skating and defensive game... so he'll obviously have to be worked with and developed by the Oilers. It's not as if a player like Yak is the only player that has rough edges and needs to be developed smartly.

Many people have made the argument that some of the young Oiler players have been stunted developmentally within this org... whether true or not... that same developmental "braintrust" is still in place within the org.

DearOldUncleTony

Mar 21, 2014
Well playing Devil's Advocate... Bennett is the type of player that "might" be injury prone at the NHL level with his type of playing style... at least as much as RNH. Bennett may be more physical and may be able to handle the NHL grind more so than RNH but he also plays a much more "cantankerous" game which could lead to more injuries vs larger/beefier NHL competition.

Likewise Draisaitl out of all the top picks likely needs the most work with his skating and defensive game... so he'll obviously have to be worked with and developed by the Oilers. It's not as if a player like Yak is the only player that has rough edges and needs to be developed smartly.

Many people have made the argument that some of the young Oiler players have been stunted developmentally within this org... whether true or not... that same developmental "braintrust" is still in place within the org.

Fair argument against Bennett. I would say that since he is going to have to be a bit of a gym rat anyways (because he plays at 100% intensity all game every game), he will top out at a pretty good weight and therefore be more durable.

I definitely don't trust our management (although I do like what MacT has done so far). Draisaitl, IMO, seems like out of the top 4, he will need the most coaching for him to reach his full potential. Coaching that I don't believe the Oilers can provide. Whereas Bennett's downfalls are crossing the line and the question of "is he strong enough to play his style in the NHL." Bennett seems to need to be reined in more than coached fundamentals. Just something to consider.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site

Agreed.

I don't really have a fav between Bennet and LD but I do think Bennet's "truculence" is a big negative. I'd hate to think of what Sakic's career would have been like if he threw the big predatory hits. Playing a decent game never kept Kariya safe but imo it should have. I lost all respect for Scott Stevens the instant he threw that big hit.

Clutch Canadian4

Sep 10, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Why Bennett? He's another small skilled player Edmonton does not need. I don't care if he hits in CHL, he's barely 6' 180 and will not match up against opposing centers in the division. At least with Draisaitl you get a big guy. Preferably you should trade the pick.
100% agreed, he won't touch Getzlaf, Thorton, Kopitar etc. If they use the pick on anyone other than Draisaitl now that Ekblad is guaranteed to be gone, the city will go nuts. I'd like to see them package the pick for a dman or a BIG top 6 forward.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
100% agreed, he won't touch Getzlaf, Thorton, Kopitar etc. If they use the pick on anyone other than Draisaitl now that Ekblad is guaranteed to be gone, the city will go nuts. I'd like to see them package the pick for a dman or a BIG top 6 forward.

I'm pretty sure that the average fan in Edmonton has no clue who either of Drasaitl or Bennett are. From my experience most people don't care about prospects and barely know the players on the team half the time.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I honestly can't beleive all these guys that want Driasiatl becuase of his size, yet all reports are he doesn't use it and Bennet plays much bigger. It is just amazing that people think if you put a huge body on the ice we will win, remember Penner every one??? fak.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The fact that Draisaitl is one of the best offensively skilled players (arguably the BEST playmaker) in this draft just might have something to do with his appeal as well. I don't think people are JUST blinded by size (although it certainly doesn't hurt).

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I honestly can't beleive all these guys that want Driasiatl becuase of his size, yet all reports are he doesn't use it and Bennet plays much bigger. It is just amazing that people think if you put a huge body on the ice we will win, remember Penner every one??? fak.

Not to get too off topic but Penner probably has the most hate I've seen by a fan base for almost no reason. The guy was a 30 goal scorer here and had really good possession numbers. I know we all like to see the smaller guys with heart compete their ***** off but sometimes it's just not enough.

I mean, look at Sam Gagner right now. He's the Oilers whipping boy right now but he's a quality guy and actually a really competitive guy. He can work his ass off some nights and still gets overpowered by bigger NHL forwards. It's not fair but bigger guys don't seem to have to try as hard to get the same results. It's sort of like school where you could work your ass of for a B while the geniuses in your class didn't even bother studying for the exam.

Also, Bennett is not the next MacKinnon. MacKinnon is the exception to the rule so let's not bank on the slim possibility that he has the same level of contribution. MacKinnon is a freak. The guy is much more explosive and has a strong core.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Bennett. Size doesn't win games. Talent with grit do.

Draisaitl is arguably more talented than Bennett and still has an exceptional work ethic. He just isnt going to drop the gloves like Bennett does.

If that's why we are drafting Bennett, if rather go out and get a guy like Torres in our bottom 6.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
The fact that Draisaitl is one of the best offensively skilled players (arguably the BEST playmaker) in this draft just might have something to do with his appeal as well. I don't think people are JUST blinded by size (although it certainly doesn't hurt).

How is it he can be the better offensive skilled players with good size and be rated out of the top 3?

I don't like to believe scouts are unbiased and I do think that size is still sought after enough to artificially raise a players pedigree. If this is the case, then that alone should raise some eyebrows about Draisaitl

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
How is it he can be the better offensive skilled players with good size and be rated out of the top 3?

I don't like to believe scouts are unbiased and I do think that size is still sought after enough to artificially raise a players pedigree. If this is the case, then that alone should raise some eyebrows about Draisaitl

His lack of high end skating ability and his less than optimal attention to a 2-way game (potentially overstated) are what raises question marks.

I don't think anyone has questioned his offensive abilities at all. He's as good as anyone in this draft offensively and considering his "flaws" he may indeed be the best pure offensive talent available. If he can do what he can do while not being a particularly fast skater AND apparently half-assing his level of commitment in most games... my god what can he do if he ever learns to skate and actually plays hard more consistently? :)

Scouts and teams aren't just buying what's on display in June 2014... they are buying the product that the player will become over the next 5, 10, 15 years.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

"The city will go nuts?"

If anything, the general public will be happier with whoever CSS ranks higher.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

From everything I've heard, LD is a great kid with an incredible work ethic. He has probably improved the most this year out of everyone in the top 5. His offensive numbers are incredible for the team he's playing on. The question is if he can improve his skating and become a reliable two way player.

I think if you give him another year in junior, he will be able to improve on both of those.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I'd feel a lot better if I felt the Oilers had a good plan in place that was semi pliable. We must have some skilled size on this teams forwards but not necessarily at center (though it would be nice).

By all means Oilers draft the best center prospect regardless of size. You better have a real plan on obtaining some scoring wingers with size though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad