Prospect Info: 2014 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking: #3

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Defense - Grannberg (Percy is a turnover machine - needs another year at least to figure out how to play defense - real defense)

Centre - Verhaeghe (Gauthier is gonna surprise peeps yet - I like his decision-making)

Wing - Leivo (Brown needs to build muscle and man-strength)

Goal - NONE - but a longshot is Bibeau IF ONLY for slightly better rebound control than the other two - the others can block a puck in their ever-present b-fly but not control it which, as we see with Reimer, is what separates a real goalie from a career back-up. Rebound control is a star goalie's bread and butter folks. None of the Leaf's prospects demonstrate it well. Bibeau got so many shots in the CHL playoffs b/c he kicks the puck back out into play over and over - sorry... Reimer all over again.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I think it's Leivo by a pretty good margin. He should turn out to be an above average 2nd line forward. I'm not sure I can say that about anyone else on the list.
IMO Andreas Johnson is gonna turn out better than Leivo. Hopefully a Zetterberg/Datsyuk kind of late round gem.

mikebel111*

Defense - Grannberg (Percy is a turnover machine - needs another year at least to figure out how to play defense - real defense)

Centre - Verhaeghe (Gauthier is gonna surprise peeps yet - I like his decision-making)

Wing - Leivo (Brown needs to build muscle and man-strength)

Goal - NONE - but a longshot is Bibeau IF ONLY for slightly better rebound control than the other two - the others can block a puck in their ever-present b-fly but not control it which, as we see with Reimer, is what separates a real goalie from a career back-up. Rebound control is a star goalie's bread and butter folks. None of the Leaf's prospects demonstrate it well. Bibeau got so many shots in the CHL playoffs b/c he kicks the puck back out into play over and over - sorry... Reimer all over again.

Lol Percy being a turnover machine. How often did you see him play this year? He is very good defensively as well

DoubleDouble*

Cater Verhaege, Stuart Percy, Josh Leivo and Fredrik Gauthier.

I don`t know which order they belong in, but I think those are the next 4, with Brown, Granberg and Vailev behind.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
IMO Andreas Johnson is gonna turn out better than Leivo. Hopefully a Zetterberg/Datsyuk kind of late round gem.

I dunno how good he'll end up being but i agree on the Levio point.
The SHL is a tougher league than the AHL and Andreas put up a real strong performance there at the age of 18. I know he'll struggle to crack the top 10 of the list this year, but if he goes in and puts up a bigger performance next season we should all start getting excited.

CalgaryLeaf*

Haha what? I watched half of his SHL games this year, which is probably 22 more games than you've seen him in total.

Seriously? You live in Sweden or are SHL games available to watch on your computer?

What current player does he remind you of?...He was their rookie of the year so he must be pretty good.

Is the SHL a stronger league than the AHL?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Seriously? You live in Sweden or are SHL games available to watch on your computer?

What current player does he remind you of?...He was their rookie of the year so he must be pretty good.

I know they get credited for shootout winning goals, which accounted for 2 or 3 of Johnson's 15 goals this season.

Really hope this kid turns out to be a stud.

JVR - Nylander - Johnson

:amazed:

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca

I watch the games on my laptop after they're completed. I like to watch the European prospects we draft in the later rounds, idk why. This year im gonna watch Engvall.

He honestly reminds me of Johnny Hockey, but taller, but he'll probably never be as good as Gaudreau will be. When i watch him he seems to play with a lot of passion. He also has the complete offensive package. He's pretty fast which makes sense for a player of his physical frame. His shot could be more powerful, but that'll come if and when he beefs up. His stickhandling is great as well.

CalgaryLeaf*

I watch the games on my laptop after they're completed. I like to watch the European prospects we draft in the later rounds, idk why. This year im gonna watch Engvall.

He honestly reminds me of Johnny Hockey, but taller, but he'll probably never be as good as Gaudreau will be. When i watch him he seems to play with a lot of passion. He also has the complete offensive package. He's pretty fast which makes sense for a player of his physical frame. His shot could be more powerful, but that'll come if and when he beefs up. His stickhandling is great as well.

Yeah the Flames are really high on Gaudreau...I hope the Leafs win the race back to respectability before the Flames do or I'll never hear the end of it...The Leafs even had a 2 year head start on Calgary before their rebuild.

That's all we need is for Burke to come back and haunt us...lol

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Lol Percy being a turnover machine. How often did you see him play this year? He is very good defensively as well

Is that the standard question when you don't have any idea about the player other than some vague belief that everyone says he's good? Three live games and every playoff Marlies Leafs TV game.

I don't hate Percy but I've seen him cause way too many turnovers inside the blueline to place him very high as a prospect. Frequent telegraphed passes intercepted inside the line and many turnovers around the net by faulty positioning and physical play. He didn't get a ton of icetime in the p/o's and his -7 on a strong defensive team doesn't surprise me.

Now I guess the only thing to do is tell me I don't know what I'm talking about but we will all see won't we. I hope I'm wrong for Percy's and the Leafs' sake but both Biggs and Percy look like 1st round misses to me.

Grannberg look like a better prospect because of his decicion-making abilities, puck protection, and physicality.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Percy is the exact opposite of a turnover machine.

How can you say that? What do you base that on? We must be watching different defensemen. He is a nice skater and smooth passer but he was plagued by sending those smooth passes to the wrong team too many times. He was bodied off the puch in front, beside, and behind his net as well as in the corners on a regular basis this year. Lots of work to do before he's anywhere near NHL ready.

mikebel111*

Is that the standard question when you don't have any idea about the player other than some vague belief that everyone says he's good? Three live games and every playoff Marlies Leafs TV game.

I don't hate Percy but I've seen him cause way too many turnovers inside the blueline to place him very high as a prospect. Frequent telegraphed passes intercepted inside the line and many turnovers around the net by faulty positioning and physical play. He didn't get a ton of icetime in the p/o's and his -7 on a strong defensive team doesn't surprise me.

Now I guess the only thing to do is tell me I don't know what I'm talking about but we will all see won't we. I hope I'm wrong for Percy's and the Leafs' sake but both Biggs and Percy look like 1st round misses to me.

Grannberg look like a better prospect because of his decicion-making abilities, puck protection, and physicality.

There is a whole lot of wrong in this post. I saw a lot of games so stop saying 3 games. Pretty sad beginning to your post if you ask me. And yup you are watching the wrong player. Spott put him on a 5 on 3 on the PK at a critical stage. What turnover machine gets trusted in that situation. Percy is no where near a first round miss. Whoever is saying he is hasn't seen him play likely. Look at his production as a rookie d man. Very solid for a guy who isn't a OFD.
Spott has praised him throughout this season. Also from accounts, he was maybe more impressive than Granberg this season.
What are you talking about in regards to ice time? I watched almost every playoff game and Percy got a lot of ice time. He was on the 2nd pairing, getting first line PP time when Abbott was hurt, and also got some first PK unit
So yeah I am certain you haven't seen him play.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
There is a whole lot of wrong in this post. I saw a lot of games so stop saying 3 games. Pretty sad beginning to your post if you ask me. And yup you are watching the wrong player. Spott put him on a 5 on 3 on the PK at a critical stage. What turnover machine gets trusted in that situation. Percy is no where near a first round miss. Whoever is saying he is hasn't seen him play likely. Look at his production as a rookie d man. Very solid for a guy who isn't a OFD.
Spott has praised him throughout this season. Also from accounts, he was maybe more impressive than Granberg this season.
What are you talking about in regards to ice time? I watched almost every playoff game and Percy got a lot of ice time. He was on the 2nd pairing, getting first line PP time when Abbott was hurt, and also got some first PK unit
So yeah I am certain you haven't seen him play.

Yeah I figured this is what you'd say - you're ignoring what I'm saying. Seen him lots, no way to prove it other than to wait and see like I said. I live outa town only got to three live games - watched all the p/o games on Leafstv - you are seeing things through rose-coloured glasses - typical Leaf fan - seen this for years. Wait and see I hope I am wrong but don't try and tell me what you obviously don't know.

Back to the whole point of this thread - to me Grannberg is a decent prospect - I choose him over Percy because of what I've seen - not what others are saying like you. I'm done. Go ahead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad