Prospect Info: 2014 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking: #3

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I'd love it if we were able to see what Carter Ashton could do with some half-decent linemates and more than a couple minutes of ice time. For the record, I voted for Leivo but if we're looking at AHL success it's hard to argue what Ashton did last year.

Ashton is 23 years old with 170 AHL games under belt. He should be putting up points there.

He hasn't played 4th line minutes in every NHL game, he's been used on all four lines the last few years. Granted he's played bottom six minutes the majority of his time in the NHL, but he was also tried in the top six when injuries popped up, including with Kessel. Considering he doesn't have one single goal in almost 50 NHL games is a bit telling of his future. He's got bottom six written all over him, possibly career AHL all star IMO.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
I have to go with Leivo, but, not in terms of total potential. I just think he has the size, speed, grit and shot to be a very good top 9 player in the NHL. He didn't look out of place in his brief stint last season and put up a solid AHL season. I think his game suits the future of Toronto Maple Leaf hockey. IMO one of the safest bets to make it as a player in our prospect pool.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Ashton is 23 years old with 170 AHL games under belt. He should be putting up points there.

He hasn't played 4th line minutes in every NHL game, he's been used on all four lines the last few years. Granted he's played bottom six minutes the majority of his time in the NHL, but he was also tried in the top six when injuries popped up, including with Kessel. Considering he doesn't have one single goal in almost 50 NHL games is a bit telling of his future. He's got bottom six written all over him, possibly career AHL all star IMO.

The way Carter Ashton has been handled the past couple season is an absolute joke. He's had a TOI of 351.9 minutes played in total over 47 games played. That works out to an average of 7 minutes and 30 seconds a game over his NHL career. He's never got a chance to play in our top 6 on a regular basis. If we plan on developing our youth we can't bench them for over a 3/4 of the game. Mistakes go with the territory of developing a solid youth group.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
The way Carter Ashton has been handled the past couple season is an absolute joke. He's had a TOI of 351.9 minutes played in total over 47 games played. That works out to an average of 7 minutes and 30 seconds a game over his NHL career. He's never got a chance to play in our top 6 on a regular basis. If we plan on developing our youth we can't bench them for over a 3/4 of the game. Mistakes go with the territory of developing a solid youth group.

The problem with Ashton is he didn't play better than Raymond, Kulemin, Holland, Bodie, etc. when given the chance, so why would he get preferential treatment over these players? Because he's younger?

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
The problem with Ashton is he didn't play better than Raymond, Kulemin, Holland, Bodie, etc. when given the chance, so why would he get preferential treatment over these players? Because he's younger?

It's hard to play your game like seasoned veterans when every chance you get is 3/4 line minutes with the odd top 6 shift. He's had chances to bury and has been snake-bitten. It's one thing to be given multiple chances with good ice-time and not perform. Totally another situation to play a kid 3/4 line minutes, scratch him regularly, and destroy his confidence on ice.

Preferential treatment would be a Bozak situation, where Kessel is his friend so as a first year PRO (hypothetically) he would get played on the top-line performance aside. If anything vet's like Kulemin/Raymond were always the go-to because Carlyle was scared to throw a kid into the mix.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
It's hard to play your game like seasoned veterans when every chance you get is 3/4 line minutes with the odd top 6 shift. He's had chances to bury and has been snake-bitten. It's one thing to be given multiple chances with good ice-time and not perform. Totally another situation to play a kid 3/4 line minutes, scratch him regularly, and destroy his confidence on ice.

Preferential treatment would be a Bozak situation, where Kessel is his friend so as a first year PRO (hypothetically) he would get played on the top-line performance aside. If anything vet's like Kulemin/Raymond were always the go-to because Carlyle was scared to throw a kid into the mix.

The Leafs had a winning record and were in a playoff spot for the majority of games Ashton played in. Are you suggesting that Carlyle should have played a kid with zero goals in a top six role over players like Lupul, Raymond and Kulemin?

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Leivo is my favourite prospect, but voted Gauthier. Then Leivo, Granberg/Percy, then Finn.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
We may not have many blue chip prospects, but the good thing is, that we have many good prospects now and we can actually have an interesting debate about who goes next for the first ten places.

CalgaryLeaf*

I've been saying since 2010 that Brown has 1st line upside...

I agree...Brown is the highest scoring junior the Leafs have drafted in years...I can't remember the last time when a Leafs prospect won the OHL scoring title...I see him as a first or 2nd liner down the road if he can get stronger...I wonder how he and Nylander would look on a line?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Nobody really thinks much of Connor Brown do they...

Lots of guys do well in junior and don't make it. I would expect his stock to skyrocket if he starts off well on the Marlies.

Gather and Leivo are pretty close here for me. Went with Leivo since he's taken a step that Gauthier hasn't yet.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I still view Holland as a prospect despite him not having rookie status anymore. Not a big deal I guess.

I love Leivo because I think he's got clear top 6 potential and should have a big impact in the near future, but Percy and Gauthier are really close.

Our top 5 is really really good.

CalgaryLeaf*

Ala Greg mckegg

Connor Brown almost had as many assists as Mckegg had points when comparing their best seasons.

Can you really compare (Brown)128-92(Mckegg) point seasons?

Brown: 68 games ---45 goals---83 assists---128 points

McKegg: 66 games---49goals---43 assists---92 points

Also I think it's ridiculous to have Gauthier as the Leafs 3rd best prospect...He's a future 4th liner---3rd liner at best...I see Gauthier as having the same upside as Tyler Biggs.

Shame on you fans who voted for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Leivo because I think he'll be a safe mid-6 player and he's close to being on this team. But I think Gauthier has more potential to be an impact player, even as a 3rd line shut-down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad