2014 LA Kings Draft Thread

Captain Mittens*

Ok so it's been downgraded to "very close" from already happened....

Grab some popcorn....

SONTOULOS

Jun 18, 2008
2014 Draft

Not that i don't like our 1st round pick Adrian Kempe, but do you think DL would've taken a shot at Ho Sang if he was still available? I know everyone was scared from his attitude etc etc, but I've seen this kid play, & man , can he ever play. I would even think that he might as well be the steal of this 2014 draft. No one should over see that this kid doubled his points in the OHL after one season, and went -23 to +26 after one season, and say this kid is ****. He's a steal. Good job NYI, enjoy.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Seriously cannot believe Ho-sang gets all the love he does. Even before I found about all his character issues he fell down my draft rankings with every time I saw him play.

Ho-Sang has SERIOUS hockey concerns on top of his character issues. He is selfish, does not play well with others, doesn't find soft areas of ice well, doesn't play in 2/3rds of the rink, doesn't have good vision, is not strong in corners or puck battles. He is very one-dimensional. He has great skill level with the puck, I mean through the roof there, but nothing else in his game. That is incredibly huge red flag when you combine it with the fact he appears to blame all his problems on everyone else, thereby never trying to improve himself, you get the recipe for a bust. I'd hope the Kings had him on their do not draft list, that's where he should have been.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Not that i don't like our 1st round pick Adrian Kempe, but do you think DL would've taken a shot at Ho Sang if he was still available? I know everyone was scared from his attitude etc etc, but I've seen this kid play, & man , can he ever play. I would even think that he might as well be the steal of this 2014 draft. No one should over see that this kid doubled his points in the OHL after one season, and went -23 to +26 after one season, and say this kid is ****. He's a steal. Good job NYI, enjoy.

And that is why Islanders are Islanders, and why the kings are the SC champs 2 out of 3 years.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008

No.

And he was FAR from a steal. Isles lost the draft by wasting picks on him and Lukas Sutter.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Regardless of how much anyone here does or does not like him, I don't think we would have taken a stab at him anyway, so it made me lol when NYI jumped ahead of us. If we had surplus picks in the late 1st or second that's exactly the kind of guy I think you would have to swing for and personally I'm rooting for him to work it out, but as Holden points out, he could just as easily be the next Schremp.

Contrast Ho-Sang with everything you see/read about Kempe, that kid screams Kings hockey.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Seriously cannot believe Ho-sang gets all the love he does. Even before I found about all his character issues he fell down my draft rankings with every time I saw him play.

Ho-Sang has SERIOUS hockey concerns on top of his character issues. He is selfish, does not play well with others, doesn't find soft areas of ice well, doesn't play in 2/3rds of the rink, doesn't have good vision, is not strong in corners or puck battles. He is very one-dimensional. He has great skill level with the puck, I mean through the roof there, but nothing else in his game. That is incredibly huge red flag when you combine it with the fact he appears to blame all his problems on everyone else, thereby never trying to improve himself, you get the recipe for a bust. I'd hope the Kings had him on their do not draft list, that's where he should have been.

Sounds a lot like Mike Ribiero. If that's what he turns into then its not a waste. Still a bad pick due to character alone, but not a terrible pick. Kid does have serious talent, but I'm glad LA didn't get him.

No.

And he was FAR from a steal. Isles lost the draft by wasting picks on him and Lukas Sutter.

Hard to call a 7th a 'wasted pick' nevermind that he's a Sutter. The Islanders can use more character like the Sutter clan.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010

Absolutely not. I even said before the draft I would bet Ho-Sang was on the Kings "do not draft" list

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Sounds a lot like Mike Ribiero. If that's what he turns into then its not a waste. Still a bad pick due to character alone, but not a terrible pick. Kid does have serious talent, but I'm glad LA didn't get him.

Hard to call a 7th a 'wasted pick' nevermind that he's a Sutter. The Islanders can use more character like the Sutter clan.

Riberio has very good on ice vision though. That's why he was/is a solid playmaker. I mean Ho-sang may come around in his all around game but I am not sold on him doing that. He was 42 on my rankings (I tend to ignore character concerns due to me not being able to do interviews or meet prospects) and that's about where I'd have taken a flyer on his skill set ignoring character stuff.

Sutter will be VERY lucky to crack an AHL roster in the next couple of years, nevermind an NHL one. As an overager he was a 3rd/4th line type player in WHL. Guys like him regularly get cut from the University of Alberta Golden Bears in CIS hockey. They may as well have passed on that pick.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Riberio has very good on ice vision though. That's why he was/is a solid playmaker. I mean Ho-sang may come around in his all around game but I am not sold on him doing that. He was 42 on my rankings (I tend to ignore character concerns due to me not being able to do interviews or meet prospects) and that's about where I'd have taken a flyer on his skill set ignoring character stuff.

Sutter will be VERY lucky to crack an AHL roster in the next couple of years, nevermind an NHL one. As an overager he was a 3rd/4th line type player in WHL. Guys like him regularly get cut from the University of Alberta Golden Bears in CIS hockey. They may as well have passed on that pick.

You've seen ho-Sang more than I likely Holden, so I'll defer to you on his on ice vision, but from what I have seen he definately has that. He's just selfish in it and uses it for himself. His character stinks and it translates to the ice in my opinion from what i have seen and read.

You rarely finish top 20 in league scoring, mostly behind older players, without having above average vision. It happens, I agree, but it can't even be argued to much that a teammate carried him since he led his own team in scoring.

He's got skill and vision, how much will determine if he's schremp or ribiero

As for Sutter, as you noted there's more to the draft when it comes to character. On name alone GM's/scouts will imply that he has a good character/work ethic. Maybe it's worth the 200th pick in a draft to bring in a character kid.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008

This.

Guy's a bum who had one good year but now will ride his name to an NHL contract.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
You've seen ho-Sang more than I likely Holden, so I'll defer to you on his on ice vision, but from what I have seen he definately has that. He's just selfish in it and uses it for himself. His character stinks and it translates to the ice in my opinion from what i have seen and read.

You rarely finish top 20 in league scoring, mostly behind older players, without having above average vision. It happens, I agree, but it can't even be argued to much that a teammate carried him since he led his own team in scoring.

He's got skill and vision, how much will determine if he's schremp or ribiero

As for Sutter, as you noted there's more to the draft when it comes to character. On name alone GM's/scouts will imply that he has a good character/work ethic. Maybe it's worth the 200th pick in a draft to bring in a character kid.

Could be. Works out to the same pretty much. Let's just say I'm not a fan of his game and even less of his character. I literally loled when NYI wasted two picks to trade up to get him.

Everything I've heard about Sutter is that his character is even worse than his talent level. The Jets were willing to sign very mediocre prospect Austen Brassard yet still passed on Sutter at least in part due to his poor work ethic and entitled/bad attitude after being drafted.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Could be. Works out to the same pretty much. Let's just say I'm not a fan of his game and even less of his character. I literally loled when NYI wasted two picks to trade up to get him.

Everything I've heard about Sutter is that his character is even worse than his talent level. The Jets were willing to sign very mediocre prospect Austen Brassard yet still passed on Sutter at least in part due to his poor work ethic and entitled/bad attitude after being drafted.

That's the thing though, it doesn't work out the same always. Ribiero has worked out as a guy good enough for 60 points most seasons recently and that alone will have some value in the league. Difference between Ribiero and Ho-Sang is that teams likely think they can 'fix' him. Odds are they can't but they are going to take that chance. It's all part of drafting a guy at that spot, late first, he's going to have some sort of flaw or flaws. Difference between teams like LA and teams like NYI is LA values character on a much higher level.

As for Sutter, I'll leave it be. Neither of us knows what his character really is like so its all speculation at best for the most part. He's a Sutter though, so you know if word of him acting like an ******* gets back to dad/uncle he's going to get his ass kicked each time he comes home so I think any talk of him having a poor attitude might be overblown, possibly because he's held to a higher level than other 'normal' prospects.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
That's the thing though, it doesn't work out the same always. Ribiero has worked out as a guy good enough for 60 points most seasons recently and that alone will have some value in the league. Difference between Ribiero and Ho-Sang is that teams likely think they can 'fix' him. Odds are they can't but they are going to take that chance. It's all part of drafting a guy at that spot, late first, he's going to have some sort of flaw or flaws. Difference between teams like LA and teams like NYI is LA values character on a much higher level.

As for Sutter, I'll leave it be. Neither of us knows what his character really is like so its all speculation at best for the most part. He's a Sutter though, so you know if word of him acting like an ******* gets back to dad/uncle he's going to get his ass kicked each time he comes home so I think any talk of him having a poor attitude might be overblown, possibly because he's held to a higher level than other 'normal' prospects.

Edited for content

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad