2014 LA Kings Draft Thread

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Kings picks:

LA 1st
Tor 2nd (possibly. TOR option to choose either this year or next to give us)
LA 3rd
LA 4th
LA 5th
Car 6th
LA 6th
LA 7th

Personally hoping David Pastrnak somehow falls to the Kings pick but it won't happen. Kid is the real deal and will shoot up from his current later 1st round rankings.

FWIW my current top 5 is:
1. Reinhart
2. Ekblad
3. Nylander
4. Draisaitl
5. Bennett

Discuss.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
I think Tor might not even have a choice. Pretty sure if Holland plays 20 games the third Ana got becomes a second. Though not sure what year it is, either way it will dictate which year the Kings get theirs.

JureEe

Go Kings Go!
Apr 5, 2012
sLOVEnija
related to that 2nd round pick.. Toronto traded this year conditional3rd round to Anaheim, but its 2nd round if Holland plays 25 games or more with TOR this season

Last edited:

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
related to that 2nd round pick.. Toronto traded this year conditional3rd round to Anaheim, but its 2nd round if Holland plays 25 games or more with ANA this season

Good call. Forgot about that.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I haven't seen much of the top ranked picks. One player who stands out quite a bit, who may actually be available when the Kings pick, is Alexis Vanier. Big, mobile defenseman with offensive ability.

David Strorm

@ControlPuck
Aug 13, 2012
Manitoba
I haven't seen much of the top ranked picks. One player who stands out quite a bit, who may actually be available when the Kings pick, is Alexis Vanier. Big, mobile defenseman with offensive ability.

I like Baie Comeau a lot, great player for us to take. It's crazy, I don't see too many drafts with him in the first round.

Something that should be discussed is our team needs, and our pools needs. I honestly think we should go BPA. Some might feel we need a goalie etc.

Players I Want the Kings to draft:
Alexis Vanier
Nikolaj Elhers
Alexis Pepin
Jack Glover
Rickards Bukharts

Just a small bunch. Definitely more, but mobile sucks.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
Something that should be discussed is our team needs, and our pools needs. I honestly think we should go BPA. Some might feel we need a goalie etc./QUOTE]

-BPA as always

-goalie
-SAH D
-LW with skill
-RW with skill
-wing with speed (LA needs to add some top end speed into the forecheck)

-C ( i know DL loves to draft them, but he's got plenty to work with for years to come)

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
While I wouldn't write off us drafting a goalie, if you look at the trend, DL and Futa have drafted a goalie every odd year since 2007. Since we just drafted Bartosak last year, odds are we won't draft another one this year, especially since we brought Mathias Niederberger into the system, sort of.

Not saying it won't happen, but I'd think it'd have to be someone DL and Futa feels has really dropped a lot from where they projected him to go before they grab him (IE big bang for the buck).

I'd imagine BPA is the standard protocol here. We haven't drafted a D-man above the 5th round since 2010 though, so wouldn't surprise me to see us draft a big bodied stay at home D-man in the 1st round, assuming we actually keep that pick.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
As it stands right now, it looks like Futa and company will need to find those mid round gems again. TG not doubt has some insight on players that could be mid round selections. More guys like Hudson F, C Miller ect. I'd like to see more speed added.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
As it stands right now, it looks like Futa and company will need to find those mid round gems again. TG not doubt has some insight on players that could be mid round selections. More guys like Hudson F, C Miller ect. I'd like to see more speed added.

Colin Miller has NOT looked very good as of late. Certainly not looking like a gem of a late pick ATM.

I'd like to see another goalie added. My preference would be a Swede or Russian who's 18 and 6'4" or taller but that's pretty specific. Honestly I think we need an 18 yr old goalie in the system. Let him develop slowly and see how it works out.

Obviously BPA but we need to add a puck moving D very badly. Nick Des is a LW now, Colin Miller isn't a pure puck mover and has played poorly, and Leslie still is young and needs to progress obviously. Don't bring up Ebert. I won't be listening.

Ehlers is a guy who interest me but I look at him as a riser. Not as much as Pastrnak but he will rise a bit probably out of our range.

Also, keep up with the low risk, high reward picks ala Porkins and Fasching. Dean turning the 4th round in to a gongshow vs other GMs. He owns that round like he owns the 2nd round, and we all know how money he is there.

Captain Mittens*

Wow, CNS, I am impressed. A draft thread in November.

can I safely assume that you do your Christmas shopping in April?

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I see defense as the only real 'need' for the draft as well cns, though I'm not sure we need a puckmover per se.

The reason I question the need to draft a goalie is more based on where we need that goalie. Gibson flopping on us left us a hole in that goalie pipeline. The way it was ideally set to go was Jones would be ready to be a backup by now, Berube should be getting starts in Manchester, Gibson should be starting out in the ECHl and we'd have one other goalie (Bartosak) working his way up in junior.

Jones however hasn't grabbed the reigns yet, Berube has flopped since turning pro, Gibson flopped even before that and as such we really only have a few long shots in Jones and Berube, and then Bartosak in junior.

What we need is someone in the pipeline NOW. Someone who is a year or so away from reaching the NHL.

That's why taking a flyer on a Euro goalie is more ideal IMO. There are some out there worth taking a shot at, I was hoping we'd get Raanta last year, but he elected to go to Chicago.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
2015 will be much deeper than 2014. I'd just assume take half our picks from 2014 and trade them for picks in 2015.

Think 2003, 1991, and 1979. That's what 2015 will be. Do you guys see the 12-year pattern?

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I think with drew slava alec and muzzin playing and gravel ebert miller and roach in the system I think drafting a stay at home defenseman makes more since to me. I think a high skill forward on the right side is also the next need postion wise. After toffoli we dont really have any top 6 right wingers coming.(however i maybe wrong im sure u ll correct me) I think we draft tremendous ad i trust the king scouting staff to make the right decesion on who

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
2015 will be much deeper than 2014. I'd just assume take half our picks from 2014 and trade them for picks in 2015.

Think 2003, 1991, and 1979. That's what 2015 will be. Do you guys see the 12-year pattern?

Mehh, I don';t buy into that.

Beyond the first 10-15 kids, you can't really say a draft will be good or not. Many drafts have been said to be good or bad and most pan out to be about the same.

It's the kids that get drafted late 1st round or on that really make a draft year stand out from the crowd, and it'll take years to see how well those kids do.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Mehh, I don';t buy into that.

Beyond the first 10-15 kids, you can't really say a draft will be good or not. Many drafts have been said to be good or bad and most pan out to be about the same.

It's the kids that get drafted late 1st round or on that really make a draft year stand out from the crowd, and it'll take years to see how well those kids do.

Are you saying you don't adhere to the doctrines of Chinese Astrology?! BLASPHEMER!!! :p:

The 2015 group will be more intelligent & ambitious than the 2014 group. Book it!!!! The 2014 group will be much like the 2002 group, and that draft was mostly crap.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Are you saying you don't adhere to the doctrines of Chinese Astrology?! BLASPHEMER!!! :p:

:laugh:

The 2015 group will be more intelligent & ambitious than the 2014 group. Book it!!!! The 2014 group will be much like the 2002 group, and that draft was mostly crap.

I won't 'book' anything based on the current performance of a bunch of 16-year-olds. Way to many factors in the development of a 16-year-old to a 24-year-old NHL player.

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
1st round pick, a power forward that can score. 2nd pick, a big top 4 2 way defensemen. 3rd pick, a center that can score.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I see defense as the only real 'need' for the draft as well cns, though I'm not sure we need a puckmover per se.

The reason I question the need to draft a goalie is more based on where we need that goalie. Gibson flopping on us left us a hole in that goalie pipeline. The way it was ideally set to go was Jones would be ready to be a backup by now, Berube should be getting starts in Manchester, Gibson should be starting out in the ECHl and we'd have one other goalie (Bartosak) working his way up in junior.

Jones however hasn't grabbed the reigns yet, Berube has flopped since turning pro, Gibson flopped even before that and as such we really only have a few long shots in Jones and Berube, and then Bartosak in junior.

What we need is someone in the pipeline NOW. Someone who is a year or so away from reaching the NHL.

That's why taking a flyer on a Euro goalie is more ideal IMO. There are some out there worth taking a shot at, I was hoping we'd get Raanta last year, but he elected to go to Chicago.

Is Ersberg available? :sarcasm:

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Wow, CNS, I am impressed. A draft thread in November.

can I safely assume that you do your Christmas shopping in April?

Frankly I waited far too long. I wanted to make this thread the day after the 2013 draft ended. I'm at the point where I like the prospect side of hockey more so than the NHL.

We need to keep the cupboards stocked. Need to constantly be bringing in people. We have a SEVERE problem of no puck movers in Manch. We need some guys that can start filling in the pipelines. Defensive D would be nice too but we have Gravel and Dean really doesn't do well outside of him drafting and developing defensive-defenseman.

Jones HAS grabbed the reigns and it's very clear to me. The problem is he got called up and Scrivens pulled a miracle out of his ass.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm far from an expert, but I think you're going to see teams start shying away from SAH D-men in the first round. They rarely pan out especially relative to draft position. There have been several in the last decade that have size, snarl, and sometimes even smarts/skating, but I can't think of any that are on their top d-pairing (that were drafted as SAH, anyway).

Thus, I hope DL learned his lesson with Teubert. Not saying we shouldn't draft a d-man, I just hope we don't bite early in the draft on hype for a defensive one (doesn't seem to translate very well to next level).

Really think BPA is the way to go ALWAYS, but even more in this case where we don't have a specific "need" to address.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yeah, I really disliked drafting guys early that are projected already as "stay at home" defensemen. It rarely works out. And a whole heck of a lot of the guys currently in the NHL as stay at home guys were drafting as offensive/puck moving D that never really panned out offensively (see Brad Stuart, Ladislav Smid, Tim Gleason, Zach Bogosian, etc, etc). Talent is what matters moreso.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Frankly I waited far too long. I wanted to make this thread the day after the 2013 draft ended. I'm at the point where I like the prospect side of hockey more so than the NHL.

Me too, it's like the hockey world's version of Christmas. Free gifts!

I study prospects years ahead, mostly in the WHL but I used to do it on a global basis when I was able to get out to more games and more markets. A family tends to tie you down more now.

It's also the area where few bother to ***** about your opinion, since many other hockey fans don't follow junior aged kids as much. All that *****ing saps your interest in a hurry.

We need to keep the cupboards stocked. Need to constantly be bringing in people. We have a SEVERE problem of no puck movers in Manch. We need some guys that can start filling in the pipelines. Defensive D would be nice too but we have Gravel and Dean really doesn't do well outside of him drafting and developing defensive-defenseman.

I'm not as certain as you are about our severe lack of puckmovers. Granted you are watching these kids live, something I can't do, but I also think you are assessing them to harshly, to early. Miller is a puckmover, so is Forbort to a degree. These guys have all of 17 pro games, if that, under their belt. Give them time. I'd really give Miller a full AHL season before judging him to harshly. Forbort's a bit older and bigger, really should have a shorter window, but 17 games is to short.

Besides, we do have Leslie, and I know you don't like him but until such time as the Kings walk away from him, you have to factor in Ebert. Sixteen points in 21 games and a +17 rating is solid numbers, especially compared to last season. The kid has the tools, it's all a matter of the toolbox being found.

And that's excluding Paul Ladue in college, who I think is the real sleeper puckmover in the system and I wouldn't be shocked to see him in Manchester for 2015-2016, which is the earliest any one we draft in 2014 would likely reach the AHL anyways.

As long as we have Muzzin, Voynov, Doughty and A-Mart around, the need for puckmovers is greatly reduced.

Jones HAS grabbed the reigns and it's very clear to me. The problem is he got called up and Scrivens pulled a miracle out of his ass.[/QUOTE]

Scrivens didn't pull a miracle out of his ass, he's a legit NHL goalie. Those are unreal numbers, but the fact we are winning with Scrivens isn't a shock to me.

if Jones has grabbed the reigns he needs to keep them. His only hope as far as making the NHL with LA is that he continues to play well and Scrivens elects to look elsewhere for more games. I think LA will try to keep Scrivens, he's a great guy, can start or be the backup, and will hold a team up if the starter goes down, which he did in Toronto when Reimer got hurt as well as now with Quick out.

David Strorm

@ControlPuck
Aug 13, 2012
Manitoba
One thing to note, this is a forward heavy draft. Some 2nd/3rd round defence will shoot up if teams decide D as a priority instead of BPA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad