GDT: 2014 Free Agent Frenzy - Shot Gun start at 12:00 PM est

Status
Not open for further replies.

774EVER

& Now 374EVER
I think I am ready to embrace this transition. Seeing the Bruins underachieve in the playoffs really made me realize that the window to win the Cup is closed, but not locked. I think it is only closed temporarily and maybe immediately after this transition year with Hamilton, Krug, Spooner, Smith continuing to develop and take the next step. Plus I am hoping that one or more of Fraser, Knight Koko, Morrow can make leap too.

Plus - the deadline might be more manageable for Chia when salary/cap not being as much of a factor.

Adding one of the following upcoming UFA's at the deadline could help to bolster the roster for a playoff run:

St. Louis
Dubinsky
Justin Williams (pipe dream probably, but maybe not if LA has a Cup hangover and misses the playoffs :))
Glencross

To name a few.

Scary yes, but not the end of the world...I still trust in Chia.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
That can't be the argument if you're saying that the Bruins are still easily the class of the East. Because they weren't. They couldn't win when it mattered, and while Montreal has improved, the Bruins have become worse.

I don't think the Habs are a better team than the Bruins right now, even after today's transactions. But it's not a laughable position either. The B's will have a rough time besting the Canadiens if they happen to meet up again.

I hate to say it (because I hate the Habs) but you're right.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Montreal has been known to be a small team for a while, would you argue any of these signings didn't make MTL bigger?

Gilbert played well in FLA, he isn't great, no denying that...but he fills the need of the habs' RD

Last season
LD:
- Emelin
- Markov
- Beaulieu
- Tinordi
- Bouillon <--- had to leave
- Gorges <---had to leave

RD:
- Subban
- Weaver
- Gilbert <---may not be great, but fills a need

Like I said, I think Gorges leaving clears cap space and allows one of Beaulieu/Tinordi to finally make the jump, permanently. Habs didn't get a better player in Gilbert, I agree with you, but they did get better by allowing Emelin to play on his natural side and getting an NHL ready rookie for next year to jump in.

Gilnertis ****ing garbage

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I like Engelland. A $2.9m over 3 year deal would have been ok with me. $2.9m a year x 3 is arguably the worst contract in the league.

I thought that was for the whole contract, a little under 1 million a year, OK, that's nuts and I really like Engelland but no way is he worth that. That could be the worst contract of the day.

That really is nuts.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Engelland is freaking crap. I wouldn't want his slow, no offensive skill, prone to mistakes on defense ass on the Bruins for free. $2.9 million aav for 3 years is flipping insane for that guy. Apparently the best way to make easy insane money today is to have been a Pen's defender on a team that underachieved.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Chris Kelly is not the reason Iginla is not playing in boston next year. Iginla just said on TSN that "even if Boston could have given him a contract this year, they were not offering a 2nd year". Chris Kelly is not replacing Iginla on the top line, Loui Eriksson likely is and I'm willing to bet that Loui ends the season with more goals than Iginla.

Was that in part because once they went to a 2nd year they couldn't make it bonus laden and push the bonus overage to next year like they could have with a 1 year deal?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
You're probably right, they have a very good team! I bet Patrick Roy had everything to do with Iginla signing there in Colorado

If Iginla wants to align himself with lowlifes like Patrick Roy then they deserve each other. It seems like frequently in sports teams that come out of nowhere and surprise everyone often regress for a year or two. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that happens to the Avs. Plus, losing Stastny isn't exactly a positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad