2014 Free Agency Continues ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I'd sign him on a 1 year deal simply because he'd probably bring in a pick or two at the deadline. :laugh:

hD8783F2E

then at tdl...

51760796.jpg

Sounds like a fool-proof plan to me.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Could also work out a trade involving Niemi and Reimer+. I think Niemi's contract is expiring next season? Could be good insurance if Bernier goes down until trade deadline at least.

edit: Reimer clearly doesn't want to be in Toronto so I'm not sure keeping him in Toronto is a good idea.

That's true. Niemi carries a $4 million cap hit, however, so that hurts our available cap space should a trade become available mid season.

Then again, he'd be an excellent 1B option, or if the Leafs are out at the deadline could return a pick from a team looking to shore up goaltending.

If they could squeeze a pick/prospect out of San Jose for taking the cap hit, that might be a decent deal for the Leafs. The danger, of course, would be him taking time away from Bernier too often, but competition isn't all bad.

All depends on how you look at it. Bernier could be our #1 for 10 years. having a young guy right now might be for naught. However, bringing Brodeur on board as a mentor could be value in itself, and he is still a capable backup. I personally lean towards him in that role

True enough. I'm okay with a Brodeur signing if he's willing to come here, but I just look at our goalie prospect pool and it's not good. Bibeau looks to have some promise, but Gibson and Sparks are long shots at best.

Still, that could be addressed later. If Brodeur takes a 1 year deal, I'm okay with moving Reimer for a pick. I like Reimer, so it'll be sad to see him go, but unfortunately I think it's probably best for him and for the team if he moves on.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
That's true. Niemi carries a $4 million cap hit, however, so that hurts our available cap space should a trade become available mid season.

Then again, he'd be an excellent 1B option, or if the Leafs are out at the deadline could return a pick from a team looking to shore up goaltending.

If they could squeeze a pick/prospect out of San Jose for taking the cap hit, that might be a decent deal for the Leafs. The danger, of course, would be him taking time away from Bernier too often, but competition isn't all bad.

True enough. I'm okay with a Brodeur signing if he's willing to come here, but I just look at our goalie prospect pool and it's not good. Bibeau looks to have some promise, but Gibson and Sparks are long shots at best.

Still, that could be addressed later. If Brodeur takes a 1 year deal, I'm okay with moving Reimer for a pick. I like Reimer, so it'll be sad to see him go, but unfortunately I think it's probably best for him and for the team if he moves on.

I agree about the goaltender prospect pool, which is why I advocate trading Reimer for one. Sparks and Gibson will never see 2 consecutive games in the NHL. Bibeau? Maybe, but even he seems like a longshot to be anything but a stopgap backup and not for years regardless.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I can't see any way that Brodeur would have interest in coming here, nor do I see the Leafs having any interest in bringing him in.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I can't see any way that Brodeur would have interest in coming here, nor do I see the Leafs having any interest in bringing him in.

Likely more a pipe dream for me. I just can't see having Reimer here for this season can be conducive to Bernier's game and mindset, or the team's for that matter. He's a distraction at best

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I agree about the goaltender prospect pool, which is why I advocate trading Reimer for one. Sparks and Gibson will never see 2 consecutive games in the NHL. Bibeau? Maybe, but even he seems like a longshot to be anything but a stopgap backup and not for years regardless.

Bibeau probably tops out as a journeyman backup, to be honest, but we can't know for sure. It's pure speculation on my part.

Of course, if Bernier is the real deal and around for the next decade or so, we won't need to worry about it too much I guess.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
There was a rumour at the draft of the Flames offering to take Cam Ward if the 7th overall was included but the Canes declined.

Leafs are shaping up to have quite a bit of extra cap space this season. I hope Nonis is looking to do another Lombardi to gain an asset type deal and Ward would be a prime candidate.

Ward has 2 years x 6.3 cap hit (6.7, 6.8 in real salary).

This team simply needs to gain more assets and need to get creative.

I suggest Ward + Canes optional 1st in 15, 16 or 17 draft for Reimer.

Then we can look to trade Ward next off-season with only 1 year on his deal.

jiminygillickrs

Nov 27, 2010
There was a rumour at the draft of the Flames offering to take Cam Ward if the 7th overall was included but the Canes declined.

Leafs are shaping up to have quite a bit of extra cap space this season. I hope Nonis is looking to do another Lombardi to gain an asset type deal and Ward would be a prime candidate.

Interesting point. I like the thinking behind this. Business move with eyes on a great draft class. Smart.

And when you say option, you mean OUR option right?

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

The only way Ward could be traded next season is if he was the starter and looked like he could still be a high level one, otherwise you're retaining half his salary and getting a 3rd rounder back.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
leafs- pegs

to leafs-- KANE,

to pegs-- LUPUL,FRANSON, CONNOR BROWN,

JVR-BOZAK-KESSEL

KANE-KADRI-SANTO

KOMOROV-KONTIOLA-CLARKSON

BODIE-HOLLAND-FRATTIN

:)

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
The only way Ward could be traded next season is if he was the starter and looked like he could still be a high level one, otherwise you're retaining half his salary and getting a 3rd rounder back.

I'm willing to take the risk of retaining half his salary in the 16/17 season.

We keep him this year, gain a 1st rounder in the process then also gain something like a mid round pick.

It would be similar to how we gained Franson for taking on a full year of Lombardi then retained a significant chunk of his salary well trading him to Phoenix and getting a 4th rounder.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I'm willing to take the risk of retaining half his salary in the 16/17 season.

We keep him this year, gain a 1st rounder in the process then also gain something like a mid round pick.

It would be similar to how we gained Franson for taking on a full year of Lombardi then retained a significant chunk of his salary well trading him to Phoenix and getting a 4th rounder.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for it, but Carolina has to know they made no moves to make themselves better than they were last season. They need big seasons from the complacent brothers to get anywhere. That pick could be top 10 in a great draft. They won't make that move when they could just do the very thing you just proposed themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad