2014 Free Agency and Trade Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
We can not agree and be civil to one another. I think you're a terrific poster, but I hate stuff like this.

Getting angry about other people's feelings is like getting mad at the weather. It's out of your control, so make the best of it.

Which of those things do you think the team will actually get? And would you be happy with two from the list Staple strung together in a series of tweets today?
Cammalleri
Heatley
Havlat
Michalek
Jokinen
Pouliot
Penner
Fayne

I'd be happy with Cammalleri and Fayne, I think.

Would be happy with any of the bolded.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Which of those things do you think the team will actually get? And would you be happy with two from the list Staple strung together in a series of tweets today?
Cammalleri
Heatley
Havlat
Michalek
Jokinen
Pouliot
Penner
Fayne

I am not overly impressed by our options, but seeing Heatley in the mix makes me ill.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
We can not agree and be civil to one another. I think you're a terrific poster, but I hate stuff like this.

Getting angry about other people's feelings is like getting mad at the weather. It's out of your control, so make the best of it.

I can be civil and usually am, but I really hate it when people think watching a game for however many years makes them more knowledgeable by default. He's essentially saying that since he's older than me, he'll always know more about the game, and that's simply not true. I could've been nicer, but, when the sky is always falling who cares about manners? ;)

I'm not actually angry, just annoyed that people even bother commenting and derail threads with the same exact lines in each. We get it, Snow and Wang are terrible. We're terrible. They've watched hockey for longer than I've been alive. We're going to be terrible until the end of time or until Wang sells. We have no hope of ever signing anyone good or decent. The team was never going to move out of New York. There, I think I've covered up most of the pessimists posts in a few lines...yet they continue to post the same exact thing over and over and over.

Cammalleri
Heatley
Havlat
Michalek
Jokinen
Pouliot
Penner
Fayne

I think all of them are realistic options for this team. You didn't ask me, but I'd be okay with Cammalleri, Jokinen, and Fayne. Maybe Michalek as well.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
He did pretty well all things considered.

On the positive side he cleared capspace, on the negative side he is paying 1/3 of Gagner's contract. If he waited stuff out he probably could have got better value(I am guessing though if he can use that free cap space to sign a big name player it's a moot point)

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I can be civil and usually am, but I really hate it when people think watching a game for however many years makes them more knowledgeable by default. He's essentially saying that since he's older than me, he'll always know more about the game, and that's simply not true. I could've been nicer, but, when the sky is always falling who cares about manners? ;)

I'm not actually angry, just annoyed that people even bother commenting and derail threads with the same exact lines in each. We get it, Snow and Wang are terrible. We're terrible. They've watched hockey for longer than I've been alive. We're going to be terrible until the end of time or until Wang sells. We have no hope of ever signing anyone good or decent. The team was never going to move out of New York. There, I think I've covered up most of the pessimists posts in a few lines...yet they continue to post the same exact thing over and over and over.

I think all of them are realistic options for this team. You didn't ask me, but I'd be okay with Cammalleri, Jokinen, and Fayne. Maybe Michalek as well.

Michalek-Tavares-Okposo
Jokinen-Nelson-Strome
Lee-Nielsen-Clutterbuck
Martin-Cizikas-Bailey

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Cammalleri
Heatley
Havlat
Michalek
Jokinen
Pouliot
Penner
Fayne

I agree with Cammalleri and Fayne 100%

I wouldnt touch Penner or Heatley thought. Havlat would be iffy but beggars can't be choosers.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Michalek was good before the knee injuries, but he's still one of my favs for LW. He is coming off a down year and JT and Okposo could revitalize him. He'd be a better option then Heatley or Havlat.

Cammalleri is so tempting too. I just hope it isn't a scrub like PMB...

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Cammalleri
Heatley
Havlat
Michalek
Jokinen
Pouliot
Penner
Fayne

I don't think any of these guys are really going to make us that much better, unfortunately. In fact, I don't see many free agents out there except the ones we already tried for (Boyle, Vanek) that would make a drastic difference on our lineup. I'd take Moulson back if he could be plugged in any other place on our lineup but since he's one dimensional and needs JT I don't feel like wasting a contract on him. Let him cash in on some other teams mistake.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
I am not overly impressed by our options, but seeing Heatley in the mix makes me ill.

The thing that scares me most is when Staple throws out Pouliot and Heatley with decent names like Jokinen and Michalek; I feel like he knows something, and management wants it out there so they can say, "We pegged Dany Heatley as a player of intense interest before free agency opened. We've even opened an Uber account in his name."

I would say an offseason that got us Halak, Fayne, Jokinen/Cammalleri, and a top pairing defensemen would be damn near perfect. But Staple has pointed out how challenging adding top 4 D will be, and I'm frankly not sold on Stallman or other second tier options. It might really be time to package good young talent for a guy like Mark Giordano. I know, I know, MILBURY!!!11, but the team has so many solid defensive prospects a few years away, I feel like it can part with a Pokka or a Pulock. And I'm speaking as someone who drafted Pulock in NHL 13, so I'm basically a professional GM.

As Leap said, I think Vanek would have the greatest impact in a number of ways. It would show the league how serious the team was about winning, almost guarantee a year slightly above the cap floor, and give John Tavares the chance to become the best player in the game. As much as I might think Jokinen is a nice player, I think Vanek reshapes the perception of the franchise if he comes here.

Michalek-Tavares-Okposo
Jokinen-Nelson-Strome
Lee-Nielsen-Clutterbuck
Martin-Cizikas-Bailey

Wow, that's an actual contending team, isn't it? Provided we get a top pairing D.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Michalek was good before the knee injuries, but he's still one of my favs for LW. He is coming off a down year and JT and Okposo could revitalize him. He'd be a better option then Heatley or Havlat.

Cammalleri is so tempting too. I just hope it isn't a scrub like PMB...

Could get Michalek on a fairly short term contact, sounds like Cammalleri would want at least 5 years. Two good options you listed.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
The thing that scares me most is when Staple throws out Pouliot and Heatley with decent names like Jokinen and Michalek; I feel like he knows something, and management wants it out there so they can say, "We pegged Dany Heatley as a player of intense interest before free agency opened. We've even opened an Uber account in his name."

I would say an offseason that got us Halak, Fayne, Jokinen/Cammalleri, and a top pairing defensemen would be damn near perfect. But Staple has pointed out how challenging adding top 4 D will be, and I'm frankly not sold on Stallman or other second tier options. It might really be time to package good young talent for a guy like Mark Giordano. I know, I know, MILBURY!!!11, but the team has so many solid defensive prospects a few years away, I feel like it can part with a Pokka or a Pulock. And I'm speaking as someone who drafted Pulock in NHL 13, so I'm basically a professional GM.

As Leap said, I think Vanek would have the greatest impact in a number of ways. It would show the league how serious the team was about winning, almost guarantee a year slightly above the cap floor, and give John Tavares the chance to become the best player in the game. As much as I might think Jokinen is a nice player, I think Vanek reshapes the perception of the franchise if he comes here.

Too early to part with assets in the farm without knowing if the other assets will amount to anything viable. This team will have to build from within, sorry.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
Too early to part with assets in the farm without knowing if the other assets will amount to anything viable. This team will have to build from within, sorry.

Sorry? That's okay.

So how many years of a rebuild works for you? Because if you count the beginning of the rebuild as when Smyth spurned us, it's year seven. When do you expect to see a playoff series win?

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Sorry? That's okay.

So how many years of a rebuild works for you? Because if you count the beginning of the rebuild as when Smyth spurned us, it's year seven. When do you expect to see a playoff series win?

It has been what 21 years since a playoff series win? It may take into the 1st year in Bklyn to even consider another asset move via a trade. Just an opinion on my part.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

Wow, that's an actual contending team, isn't it? Provided we get a top pairing D.

Vanek is better than anyone off that list. TBH, the list is about as MEH as it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad