2014 Free Agency and Trade Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I haven't noticed a thread about this and I apologize if this is a dupe.

What do you guys see us doing during the draft and over the summer. I see at least one more move and possibly 2-3 before it's all said and done. It would seem that Snow is building a winner and not going for the Pandolfo and Reasoners of the world anymore. Thank god.

My question is...why is this 2014 UFA season supposed to be one of the worst ones? There's still a lot of decent players available. Some will be snapped up almost immediately ie, Gaborik, Miller and most probably Vanek and Iginla.

We don't necessarily have to go for a UFA. We could make a trade for a player already under contract.

IF we sign Boyle, I don't think we would be looking for another blueliner. We are most certainly going to go for forwards. Who's available that we want?

UFA's

Stasny is at the top of my list! Do you think Snow would sign him to probably a 7mill x 5 year contract. This is assuming Colorado doesn't resign him.

Then I'd go for Ray Whitney, Radim Vrbata, Steve Ott. Combined total 10 mill salary for 3 players.

IF we are lucky enough and sign these players, the lines could look like this:

X - JT - OK
Vrbata - Stasny - Whitney
Lee - Strome - Nelson
Bailey - Ott - Grabner

Explanation:

In order to sign more vets and still be somewhat financially responsible....instead of signing a top 3 which would most certainly cost us 6-7.5 mill, lets choose someone from within that has 1. chemistry and 2. is playing like he is worth something. Great two way playing abilities too, which opens up space for others to score, especially with the stronger blue line presence. This is why I like Nielsen in there. He's earned it. He's like a young St Louis..ok..maybe I am dreaming, but he isn't far off.

Trade possibilities?

I like Wheeler and Helm to be part of the supporting scoring lines.

Helm is on a super friendly contract and he's on par with Nielsen calibre talent (my opinion)

Trade proposal

To Wings - Bailey, Matt Martin, Kabanov (I think he could learn a lot from Datsyuk) +3rd for

To NYI - Helm + 2nd (contract 2.2 mill until 2016/17 season) Mainly because he does have a friendly contract and those three together I don't think would have a career anywhere near what Helm would have...unless Kabby pulls his thumb out of his butt. This trade does seem like an overpayment, but again, we get a player on par with Nielsen (IMO)...I know he doesn't score like Nielsen has, but I think he just doesn't get enough icetime and the guy SHOWS UP for playoffs.

Between Vrbata, Helm, Whitney and Ott...you have 12-13 mill in salary. That's pretty good.

All in all, this would add 20 mill in salary, should Stasny sign with us.

What would the lines look like after all is said and done?:

Nielsen - JT - OK
Vrbata - Stasny - Whitney
Lee - Strome - Nelson
Helm - Ott - Grabner

Pretty much every winger is interchangeable with each other. Vrbata, Whitney, Nielsen, Nelson, Grabner and Helm can all fill the wing off of JT IF need be. Heck, even Lee and Ott can. THIS is what I consider a deep team, especially when I can at the very worst have Clutterbuck and Bolton as extras and McDonald, Donovan, Halmo, Sundstrom and Ness to call up. Soon to be a few more players. This is the depth we need to win. You never know when an injury can screw it up for everyone..ie..Montreal with no Price...forget it.

Can nelson or strome play more..sure, once they have learned all they can from real vets. I know many people here want Nelson, Lee or Strome to play on better lines, but on a good team, they'd never be higher than third. Look how long it took for Saad to get a chance and Chicago still has problems getting him enough ice time.

Thoughts? I like Wheeler too, but if I was presented with both, I'd take Helm in a heartbeat.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Other than Stasny, I don't see my expectations as that high, especially since Vrbata, Whitney and Ott will come at our NYI affordable range and would be FAR better than any Pandolfo, Reasoner, Carkner, PMB, Regin signing we ever did.

Pop147258

Apr 28, 2014
Who adds or would switch rehinhart for the 5th or strome and take out the second

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
That is a very NHL 14 like offseason, it's unrealistic, and all those vets are just placeholders and won't actually advance us IMO. Nor would most of them sign with us anyway.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
I think we sign one Boyle-like defensemen, and one forward who could potentially fill the #1LW role. That's it. We're a bubble team next year.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I think we sign one Boyle-like defensemen, and one forward who could potentially fill the #1LW role. That's it. We're a bubble team next year.
And after we have a couple injuries the bubble bursts.:sarcasm:

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
If we can pick up a finisher for JT and a boyle-quality defenseman we should be as good or better at every line next year. If we stay league-average healthy then we should be in the hunt. Just pray that JT stays healthy.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Detroit is in a semi-rebuild, so I wouldn't put it passed them to be open to trading Helm.

Helm is a guy this team needs. This guy shows up to games and comes from a solid club. I personally wouldn't throw our top D prospects their way only because we only have a few "top" prospects and the others (including Pokka/Pelech) are considered B grade. I'm more referring to Reinhart/Pulock/DeHaan.

I guess we could let them have one of Hickey/Strait and maybe Bailey. Both are 2 way and responsible.

Hickey, Bailey, Pedan

for

Nyquist, Helm

(We're sending a ton of youth to the Wings and we get 2 vets from a successful club.)

More success we build around our guys, the better.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Nyquist isn't going to get moved.

What Strome is to us is what Nyquist is to Detroit (except he's already scored at a ridiculous goal per game pace at the NHL level already).

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I just read Spezza has a $7 million cap hit but a $4 milion salary.

"Did you trade for him yet Garf?"
"No."
"How about now?"
"No."
"..."
"No."
"I didn't say anything Garf."
"I know. And no."

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Lots of big name players might be on the move this summer (Thornton, Spezza, Lecavalier, Kesler, etc).

I don't think we get any of these guys, but we might be able to offer the teams who do cap relief and potentially get a good player or two for cheap.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
New York Islanders summer calendar:
July 1: make probably fictitious 1 year, $30 million dollar offer to Thomas Vanek
July 2: act incredulous that he didn't take it; tell fans you're trying, but players don't want to come here
July 3: gone fishin'
August 19: agree to terms with new first line RW Brandon Yip (2 years, $850,000 per)
September 8: agree to terms with D Radek Martinek (terms not disclosed)

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Redoing the second line. Soooo..if all goes to my plan...our forward lines would look something like this:

Nielsen - JT - OK
Vrbata - Spezza - Whitney
Lee - Strome - Nelson
Helm - Ott - Grabner

I added Spezza because I'd prefer him over Stasny....not sure if he'd come here. I think Stasny is more for money and Spezza wants a winning team.

JTforPres2012

Feb 12, 2012
New York Islanders summer calendar:
July 1: make probably fictitious 1 year, $30 million dollar offer to Thomas Vanek
July 2: act incredulous that he didn't take it; tell fans you're trying, but players don't want to come here
July 3: gone fishin'
August 19: agree to terms with new first line RW Brandon Yip (2 years, $850,000 per)
September 8: agree to terms with D Radek Martinek (terms not disclosed)

Bravo, bravo.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Lots of big name players might be on the move this summer (Thornton, Spezza, Lecavalier, Kesler, etc).

I don't think we get any of these guys, but we might be able to offer the teams who do cap relief and potentially get a good player or two for cheap.

Hawks are starting extension talks with kane and Toews. Both are expected to get $9m-$10m per. The press says the Hawks may have to move Seabrook who has a NTC and won't waive for the NYI, Leddy or Oduya who has 1 yr left on his deal.

The Bruins are in a cap crunch, but trying hard to extend Ignila. Boychuk has one yr on his deal. The rumors are the Bruins may have to move Boychuk.

I want Snow shopping his 2nds and solid , second tier prospects like Pelech/Mayfield. Despite the fantasy threads on the main trade board, I don't think the isles have to move their 5th overall to add a solid vet for their blueline.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Redoing the second line. Soooo..if all goes to my plan...our forward lines would look something like this:

Nielsen - JT - OK
Vrbata - Spezza - Whitney
Lee - Strome - Nelson
Helm - Ott - Grabner

I added Spezza because I'd prefer him over Stasny....not sure if he'd come here. I think Stasny is more for money and Spezza wants a winning team.

Spezza wants $7m per, on a long term deal.

Do fans really think Wang is paying Soezza $7m per on an extension, to anchor the 2nd line?

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Other than Stasny, I don't see my expectations as that high, especially since Vrbata, Whitney and Ott will come at our NYI affordable range and would be FAR better than any Pandolfo, Reasoner, Carkner, PMB, Regin signing we ever did.

Im kinda with you but how i see it i would like to see:

1 of Vrbata or Cammi

1 of Ott or Brian Boyle

Whitney i would pass on

1 of the mid level top 4 type defenseman on a short term deal.

I grouped them together like that because i think singing Brian Boyle and Ott is somewhat redundant. Same with Vrbata AND Cammi.

I like stasney but i dont think we have a shot at signing him

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Just keep it simple. Sign a RHD, whether it's Boyle or Stralman or Morris. Sign a backup goaltender, as well as an AHL goaltender.

Keep the draft pick, and take Tavares' future LW. Draft the top-rated goaltender in the early 2nd.

Go to war with what you've got:

Bailey - Tavares - Okposo
Anders - Nelson - Strome
Grabner - Nielsen - Clutterbuck
Martin - Cizikas - McDonald
x - Boulton

de Haan - Hamonic
Hickey - Stralman
Reinhart - Visnovsky
x - Strait; Carkner/Donovan

Halak
Nabokov

Forward Depth: Sundstrom; Persson; Halmo; Collberg; Quine; Gallant
Defense Depth: Mayfield; Czuczman; Pulock; Pelech; Pedan; Pokka/Graham
Goaltending Depth: UFA signing

Good to go. Plenty of talent, youth, veteran leadership, depth in the press-box AND in Bridgeport. Not to mention a real #1G, which will be nice.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Hawks are starting extension talks with kane and Toews. Both are expected to get $9m-$10m per. The press says the Hawks may have to move Seabrook who has a NTC and won't waive for the NYI, Leddy or Oduya who has 1 yr left on his deal.

The Bruins are in a cap crunch, but trying hard to extend Ignila. Boychuk has one yr on his deal. The rumors are the Bruins may have to move Boychuk.

I want Snow shopping his 2nds and solid , second tier prospects like Pelech/Mayfield. Despite the fantasy threads on the main trade board, I don't think the isles have to move their 5th overall to add a solid vet for their blueline.

No way Kane and Toews sign for anything above 9M per. I think their deals will be exactly the same at around 8.3M per.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad