2014 Free Agency and Trade Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
In terms of forwards there is to many LWers on the market and not enough spots for them to sign. It shouldn't be that hard getting one of them to sign here. As for defense we will probably have to overpay a lesser defenseman to come here

Looking at Tampa dumping cap space above scares me, I am guessing they might have somebody lined up to play there(most likely defense). MY money might be Ehrhoff

So glad Snow is 'aggressive' ...

David Volek1993

Jan 6, 2014
Bailey or Nelson. It's really that simple. If Miller was so good, why did he struggle in St. Louis and do worse than Halak?

I've grown tired of the handful of posters who are all doom and gloom. It's just irritating. You're not living in reality when you're constantly assuming the worst, that's called being a pessimist. I'm not parading around the forum proclaiming every UFA will want to sign here or we'll address every hole (neither is anyone else), and yet, every time a poster comes around with a simple idea of who the Islanders might try and target to make the team better, they get ripped apart by the pessimists.

Each time someone brings up how our younger players will likely improve, the pessimists are all over that one too.

What's that? The Islanders obtained one of the best goaltenders on the market? Nope, he's only mediocre, even though his numbers have put him in the top 10 of the NHL for the past few seasons.

Leave it to the pessimists to proclaim they are living in reality, and that the Islanders, no matter what, will always be on the downswing.

Bailey stinks and Nelson is a center. You answer the Halak question by asking another question. Like i said if Halak was so good St. Louis would not have traded him for an overated Miller. Im pessimistic on the Islanders as are most fans as there has not been anything optimistic in this franchise for a long time.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Bailey stinks and Nelson is a center.

Bailey is fine. Nelson didn't play center this season. Guys can change position you know.

You answer the Halak question by asking another question. Like i said if Halak was so good St. Louis would not have traded him for an overated Miller.

Oh, so now Miller is overrated? Got it. Do me a favor, stop posting until you come back to reality.

Im pessimistic on the Islanders as are most fans as there has not been anything optimistic in this franchise for a long time.

I've never seen the team win a playoff round, and yet, I manage to not be overly pessimistic or optimistic.

I'm done posting with you until you provide some substance. Get a clue.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Not that we need a goalie but this is intriguing to me...

@TSNBobMcKenzie: UFA goalie Ryan Miller is in VAN being wooed by Canucks' brass.

If I'm ryan miller I'm staying away from Vancouver don't like that for for him.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Not that we need a goalie but this is intriguing to me...

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense for him. They can't seem to decide what goalie they want and he should be trying to get on a contender.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Gagner was dumped for a 6th rounder......ouch

Lightning were just happy to get rid of some $$$ they plan on making moves:

@renlavoietva: #lightning have more room for a UFA now. They are looking for an elite D man. #tvasports

@brianlawton9: I am now hearing Boyle and Inginla as possible targets for @TBLightning in the UFA Mkt. Some vets to go with a strong group of young players

@drosennhl: Wooing period for UFAs might have given Yzerman indication of who he wants, at what price. He might be clearing space for whoever that is.

Gotta think there might be a deal in place here and he just needed the room..

@TSNBobMcKenzie: TB cleared a shade more than $5.6M in salary cap space tonight by trading Purcell and Crombeen and flipping Gagner. Lots of cap room now.

That's a decent amount of room for them... I've got a feeling Tampa is a going to become a legitimate threat out of the east.

BroadwayJay*

Bailey stinks and Nelson is a center. You answer the Halak question by asking another question. Like i said if Halak was so good St. Louis would not have traded him for an overated Miller. Im pessimistic on the Islanders as are most fans as there has not been anything optimistic in this franchise for a long time.

The problem here is that you've made the assumption that St. Louis always makes the correct move.

That is a false assumption.

We have statistics that tell us whether Halak is an above-average goalie. Statistic do not take into account meaningless narrative-driven evaluation.

Halak is an above-average goaltender. This fact has been proven in countless discussions on this board. I'll be happy to pull up the statistics and lay them out for you if you remain confused on this point.

Justifying a challenge to Halak's ability with the unsupported assertion based on an inference that St. Louis always makes the most efficient and correct move is absolutely ridiculous and, indeed, a non-sequitur.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Ok so I am on the optimistic train.. I just feel this is the best all around team we have had in a number of years and, yes, there are still warts and we need a few pieces but headed in the right direction… when this team fully matures and learns how to win those games we blew this year it may be something special.. I really hope this year is different from others and we can get a few UFAs to fill the 1st line LW, top 4 D and backup goalie.. I think having Lee, Nelson, Strome and CDH for a full year instead of PMB, Regin and Carkner, and a #1 goalie I am looking forward to this game.. now make my offseason Garth and get us a few more pieces..

David Volek1993

Jan 6, 2014
There's negative and then there's David Volek. You call Halak average, but do you know ANYTHING about him ? Do you realize that over the last 5 years, Halak is in the top 5 in goals against and save percentage ? The other guys in the top 5 with him are Vezina Trophy winners. That's pretty good company and would go against your AVERAGE argument. I know what your gonna say, "but he played behind St Louis' great defense", but guess what, he had a better save percentage playing behind Washington's ****** defense. So obviously you don't know anything about Halak.

As far as being a playoff team, basically the same team made the playoffs the year before with a far less superior goalie and less superior defense, Reinhart should help the team as well as any FA defenseman signing, as well as a 2nd year of de Haan who should be even more improved. Not saying playoffs are a guarantee, but I'd be willing to bet ANYTHING that we will NOT be in the #5 draft slot again next year. If we are, I'll be joining you in team negative.

Halak was a very good upgrade ill give you that but its not enough in my opinion. Nobody knows how good Reinhart will be. He could be a bust for all we know. He is a great talent but we all know most rookie defenseman struggle in the NHL. Dehaan had a good rookie year hopefully he builds on it and doesn't have sophmore slump. Dehaan needs to get stronger as he was outmuscled to much for my liking last season. Im not going to bring up the playoffs in a strike year where the team got unreal goaltending from Nabby and got red hot Bailey of all people carry them to the playoffs. More then anything this team needs some good veteran d-men if they want to make the playoffs.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

His wife is an actress, lots of acting jobs in Vancouver

It should be pointed out in regards to Gagner, Tampa ate 1/3 of his salary. Great move for Arizona who I think Gagner will get a chance to be the man. Maybe we should call Arizona and offer Bailey for Gagner @ 2/3 his salary. lol

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Ok so I am on the optimistic train.. I just feel this is the best all around team we have had in a number of years and, yes, there are still warts and we need a few pieces but headed in the right direction… when this team fully matures and learns how to win those games we blew this year it may be something special.. I really hope this year is different from others and we can get a few UFAs to fill the 1st line LW, top 4 D and backup goalie.. I think having Lee, Nelson, Strome and CDH for a full year instead of PMB, Regin and Carkner, and a #1 goalie I am looking forward to this game.. now make my offseason Garth and get us a few more pieces..

This team needs a LOT more than Halak to get anywhere next season. Waiting on Snow to land someone of quality since he's been so 'agressive.' YZerman seems to be making waves...

BroadwayJay*

Halak was a very good upgrade ill give you that but its not enough in my opinion. Nobody knows how good Reinhart will be. He could be a bust for all we know. He is a great talent but we all know most rookie defenseman struggle in the NHL. Dehaan had a good rookie year hopefully he builds on it and doesn't have sophmore slump. Dehaan needs to get stronger as he was outmuscled to much for my liking last season. Im not going to bring up the playoffs in a strike year where the team got unreal goaltending from Nabby and got red hot Bailey of all people carry them to the playoffs. More then anything this team needs some good veteran d-men if they want to make the playoffs.

Nabakov had a .910 save percentage. Somewhat below average for a starter in the NHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
This team needs a LOT more than Halak to get anywhere next season. Waiting on Snow to land someone of quality since he's been so 'agressive.' YZerman seems to be making waves...

Yzerman had to make moves, he had no cap room.

David Volek1993

Jan 6, 2014
The problem here is that you've made the assumption that St. Louis always makes the correct move.

That is a false assumption.

We have statistics that tell us whether Halak is an above-average goalie. Statistic do not take into account meaningless narrative-driven evaluation.

Halak is an above-average goaltender. This fact has been proven in countless discussions on this board. I'll be happy to pull up the statistics and lay them out for you if you remain confused on this point.

Justifying a challenge to Halak's ability with the unsupported assertion based on an inference that St. Louis always makes the most efficient and correct move is absolutely ridiculous and, indeed, a non-sequitur.

Im always wary of teams who trade away a goalie with good numbers. Is Halak a big upgrade ye of course as our goalie situation was a joke.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He's making moves because he sees opportunity to win in the east. He's not sitting on his rear watching the cap floor.

I applaud him for making the moves, but it's not as if Snow can actually make many moves yet. He's already in a position to sign the guys he wants (if he was given the green light by Wang)...Yzerman had to clear the space in order to make the moves come UFA. It's not fair to judge Yzerman against Snow or any other GM who is in a less tight cap situation.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Assuming Islanders sign a forward and defenseman I wonder if they can trade Strait and MacDonald to some cash strapped teams for low draft picks. That would free 1.3M

As it stands now once we sign our RFAs, we will have 13 forwards, 8 Defensemen and 1 Goalie so somebody will have to be shipped out to fill our 23 man roster

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
If you think this team is a playoff team then my friend you have blinders on. They need 2 more good defenseman and a top winger on Tavares line. Halak is an average goalie who will help but its not enough. Remember we are the Islanders and almost nothing has gone right in the last 20 years.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth. Really appreciated. To be a playoff team they need one more t four dman and a top six player.

But keep going on . The sky is falling!:shakehead

BroadwayJay*

Assuming Islanders sign a forward and defenseman I wonder if they can trade Strait and MacDonald to some cash strapped teams for low draft picks. That would free 1.3M

As it stands now once we sign our RFAs, we will have 13 forwards, 8 Defensemen and 1 Goalie so somebody will have to be shipped out to fill our 23 man roster

I'm hopeful we can trade either Matt Martin or Casey Cizikas for something useful from a team like Toronto or Calgary where the truculence (and 40% CF) will be appreciated.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
Then it's simply amazing how clueless you are about them and hockey in general.

We can not agree and be civil to one another. I think you're a terrific poster, but I hate stuff like this.

It's not about underrating or overrating. It's the overall attitude of the posters.

Getting angry about other people's feelings is like getting mad at the weather. It's out of your control, so make the best of it.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth. Really appreciated. To be a playoff team they need one more t four dman and a top six player.

But keep going on . The sky is falling!:shakehead

Which of those things do you think the team will actually get? And would you be happy with two from the list Staple strung together in a series of tweets today?
Cammalleri
Heatley
Havlat
Michalek
Jokinen
Pouliot
Penner
Fayne

I'd be happy with Cammalleri and Fayne, I think.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Which of those things do you think the team will actually get? And would you be happy with two from the list Staple strung together in a series of tweets today?
Cammalleri
Heatley
Havlat
Michalek
Jokinen
Pouliot
Penner
Fayne

I'd be happy with Cammalleri and Fayne, I think.

In the perfect world we sign Michalek and then somehow make a deal with Arizona to trade his brother(who as a NMC) to us.

I would stay far away from Heatley and Havlat unless it's like a 1M deal(even then that's taking up a roster spot)

Jokinen might not be a bad pickup either, while not as offensively gifted as some of the other guys he improves the Tavares line defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad