Prospect Info: 2014 Flyers prospect ranking: #1

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Now that the draft is over I feel it is time we rank our prospects... I guess.

Rankings:
1. ???

I still have to decide how far I want the prospect list to go, maybe 15, maybe 20. Tell me what you think.

I will add to/shorten the list of prospects I give as options for the coming polls. As for when the poll ends, I will try and get one poll up per day.

Last edited:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Sam Morin is my #1 here

I'd agree. I like Laughton a lot and think he will be surprisingly successful, but when in doubt, I tend to err on the side of upside. Ghost is also right there, too.

EDIT: You might want to add Stolarz before Madsen, too. ;) Also, let's go 20. Let's celebrate the fact that our prospect pool actually has some depth for once.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I think it has to be one of Morin/Laughton/Ghost. But, due to my man crush on Ghost he was my vote.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Might as well go to 20 I think.

It's a tough call between Sanheim and Morin for me honestly, at least based on what I know. I feel like poise and intelligence are two things that you either have or you don't, to a degree, and can make up for a lot of deficiencies by masking them or making it easier to work on them. Sanheim has a large amount of both and other tools more raw, but still there. Morin feels like the riskier prospect and with greater high-end potential though.

Partially talking out of my ass here though as I don't follow the minors anywhere like I do the NHL. I'd go with Sanheim right now honestly.

Edit: Seeing I'm the only one mentioning Sanheim so far so maybe I'm alone here. I love Laughton too, but his upside seems limited compared to a guy like Morin or Sanheim.

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
If Ghost was selected in the 1st round I'd guess he'd have most of the votes here. Morin has the highest ceiling, but I think Ghost is our top prospect.

NHLAlert

@nhl_alert
Jul 21, 2012
Uberlandia
www.nhlalert.com

It's a tough call between Sanheim and Morin for me honestly, at least based on what I know. I feel like poise and intelligence are two things that you either have or you don't, to a degree, and can make up for a lot of deficiencies by masking them or making it easier to work on them. Sanheim has a large amount of both and other tools more raw, but still there. Morin feels like the riskier prospect and with greater high-end potential though.

Partially talking out of my ass here though as I don't follow the minors anywhere like I do the NHL. I'd go with Sanheim right now honestly.

Edit: Seeing I'm the only one mentioning Sanheim so far so maybe I'm alone here. I love Laughton too, but his upside seems limited compared to a guy like Morin or Sanheim.

I went Sanheim too. After talking to a few friends of mine (one is a whl scout) and watching some highlights/scouting reports, I believe he is a safe pick to be on the blue line and contribute in the near future.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
Also Mark Friedman should be in the mix, i think he's better than some guys up there.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

He does but I still think he has second line potential similar to Adam Henrique. Laughton just has that safe feel to him for me. I think he'll be a good player for us down the road even if he doesn't necessarily reach his ceiling.

I have Sanheim #4 personally. I like him a lot but the track record leaves me hesitant putting him above anyone of Laughton, Gostisbehere, & Morin. If he has the year like I think he will next year than he jumps all those guys at #1 for me if they're still considered prospects by then.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Also Mark Friedman should be in the mix, i think he's better than some guys up there.

Agree with this, too. This kid had a hell of a year. Pretty underrated pick, imo.

I also really like Aube-Kubel. Seems like a Read/Gagne type. I pretty much love our 2014 draft. By far my favorite in my time following the draft.

My top five:

Morin
Gostisbehere
Laughton
Sanheim
Aube-Kubel

The top four are all extremely close, though.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Went with ghost, I think sanheim could challenge for #1 next year if he has a stellar year when given more opportunities. But right now Ghost, Laughton, and Morin are more proven.

ilovetheflyers8

Jan 26, 2009
D.C.
I chose Ghost between him and Laughton, because I think Ghost is more talented and I'm more excited about him. That being said Laughton is the most likely prospect other than Akeson at this point to become a regular NHL player and a good one at that. Akeson will certainly get another chance but I'm not sure he will stick or be as valuable a player as Laughton.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
He does but I still think he has second line potential similar to Adam Henrique. Laughton just has that safe feel to him for me. I think he'll be a good player for us down the road even if he's doesn't necessarily reach his ceiling.

I have Sanheim #4 personally. I like him a lot but the track record leaves me hesitant putting him above anyone of Laughton, Gostisbehere, & Morin. If he has the year like I think he will next year than he jumps all those guys at #1 for me if they're still considered prospects by then.

When it comes to prospects I just think the more elite the potential the more elite the prospect, but I get it. I think we need a roster full of guys like what Laughton projects to be (great two-way ability, scoring capability, not afraid to muck it up, no reported character issues), but from a prospect I'm looking for potential if were talking rankings.

Sanheim just lacks a track record, just a big distinction to make from having a bad one.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

You're not alone. I went Sanheim has well. It's ballsy considering he has only 1 season of junior hockey under his belt but I could see this kid having a light's out season next year. I've just heard way too many good things about him and that second half that he had really excites me.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Very very tough choice. In the end I picked Gostisbehere.

Morin and Sanheim both have massive amounts of potential and I think there's a good chance at least one of them ends up a top pairing defender, but I think it's more likely that Gostisbehere reaches his ceiling. Laughton's also a good prospect, but he has lower upside than any of the other three.

GrundleThief

Jun 23, 2014
1. Laughton
Solid 2-way center, tearing up OHL. Most NHL ready.

2. Gostisbehere
Hasn't played in the pros yet. Another year of seasoning in AHL.

3. Morin
Biggest upside but still really raw. Hit or Miss. Couple years away still.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
When it comes to prospects I just think the more elite the potential the more elite the prospect, but I get it. I think we need a roster full of guys like what Laughton projects to be (great two-way ability, scoring capability, not afraid to muck it up, no reported character issues), but from a prospect I'm looking for potential if were talking rankings.

Sanheim just lacks a track record, just a big distinction to make from having a bad one.

Well personally I don't just look at upside when doing these. I look at a bunch of things like upside/floor, track record, pedigree, how far are they in their development, etc. then just come up on my own personal feel on the player.

Sanheim had a great second half of the season but I want to see more this upcoming season. I say this as someone who was hyping Sanheim up these past few months before most really knew who he even was.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I think Morin has the highest upside which is a 6'7" (possibly still growing) 220lbs+ two way #1 Defenseman with massive strength and a meanstreak to match his skill.

I also think highly of Sanheim, because I believe his ceiling is a 6'4" 220lbs two way #1 defenseman. However, in place of a meanstreak and punishing checking skills, he has awesome offensive vision and creativity.

Ghostisbehere is an awesome prospect as well and was playing like a superstar in the Frozen Four. He also has the potential to be a 5'11" two way #1 defenseman with great speed and playmaking abilities.

As you can see, I think we have three great defenseman in our system and I think they all have incredible potential and they're all players who "step up when it matters most" and have all been on the upward trend. Basically I would just have to rank them by sheer ability to impose their force on the game. Morin has that ability in spades. Being so huge and nimble while also being strong and precise is a great package to have in a #1 dman.

Laughton is a great prospect too, but I think he's the prospect closest to making the team and I also think his potential may be limited due to two incredible NHL players in Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier. So unless one of those three play wing in the future, Laughton's highest upside is still going to be a superb 3rd line center. However, this is not a bad thing at all. Center depth is as important as defensive depth in winning a championship, Laughton's future is like a potentially higher scoring Jarret Stoll.

1. Morin
2. Sanheim
3. Ghostisbehere
4. Laughton
5. Hagg

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I'm choosing between Morin, Sanheim, and Ghost. I have to consider Laughton a step below those 3 because of upside.

It may sound crazy, but I'll vote Sanheim. His tool chest is totally full. He has everything you look for in a player (except physicality). I'll take the all around game of Sanheim over the other two. His skating and poise are quite something. I just think he's going to keep getting better and better as he gains more experience and fills out his wicked frame. We are just scratching the surface with him.

*add: I've now watched into game 4 of his WHL playoff series and he just continues to impress from what I saw earlier when I watched his U-18 tournament.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I'm choosing between Morin, Sanheim, and Ghost. I have to consider Laughton a step below those 3 because of upside.

It may sound crazy, but I'll vote Sanheim. His tool chest is totally full. He has everything you look for in a player (except physicality). I'll take the all around game of Sanheim over the other two. His skating and poise are quite something. I just think he's going to keep getting better and better as he gains more experience and fills out his wicked frame. We are just scratching the surface with him.

*add: I've now watched into game 4 of his WHL playoff series and he just continues to impress from what I saw earlier when I watched his U-18 tournament.

Is there one individual game where he was more noticeable than any other?

Like how every second during Ghost's national championship game I just had a massive grin from ear to ear. I would like to experience that feeling once more.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00