OT: 2014 FIFA World Cup Champions: Germany

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Depends on how things play out and which players come through for him. As far as I know, he's got a pretty solid contract that takes him through the next World Cup. I don't really think the team is lacking all that much in leadership or experience just because Donovan's not going to be there, either. Looks like a good mix of young talent, prime age players with experience, and veteran players who have done it all in Dempsey, Beasley, and Howard.

I'm excited for the tournament and look forward to seeing how some of the younger guys perform.

They ran a ****ing beep test. A FING BEEP TEST! Donovan is among the dozens of high skill players who need different training schedules to give the most they can in training as they enter their mid 30s. There is no way he is going to outperform a 25 year old on a beep test, and wasting time on conditioning garbage instead of working on tactics is bad news for US soccer. It wasn't a tryout, and if you don't have your team set you are in a world of hurt.

It is a stunt to show whos boss, and if you want to run this program like a big timer European boss then you don't get any job security.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
You obviously follow this stuff more than I do (what the hell is a beep test) but I just don't have any amount of doom and gloom in me about this team. USA soccer has been swinging on that ledge between legit international team and a mid/bottom rung team that qualifies for most tournaments. Call me crazy but I just don't think Landon Donovan is going to be the difference between A) getting out of the group, or B) winning games outside of group play. I always found it odd how he would go to Europe and seemingly come running back to the MLS as quick as he could.

I don't know, to me he just never seemed that great and was always trying to make plays beyond himself. I will admit that he has had some big moments in international play. He's also had some very underwhelming performances.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
You obviously follow this stuff more than I do (what the hell is a beep test) but I just don't have any amount of doom and gloom in me about this team. USA soccer has been swinging on that ledge between legit international team and a mid/bottom rung team that qualifies for most tournaments. Call me crazy but I just don't think Landon Donovan is going to be the difference between A) getting out of the group, or B) winning games outside of group play. I always found it odd how he would go to Europe and seemingly come running back to the MLS as quick as he could.

I don't know, to me he just never seemed that great and was always trying to make plays beyond himself. I will admit that he has had some big moments in international play. He's also had some very underwhelming performances.

A beep test is a series of sprints with progressively shorter periods to complete them, and if you don't make it you sit out. Maybe it isn't a perfect analogy, but in training camp a hockey coach might have the players do ladders to show how fit they are? And if you wanted to show everyone who's boss and there was a high profile guy who might not be super durable, you might have that kind of drill to prove that he isn't worth keeping around, and to cover your ass if you want to run him out of town. Now if you jumped forward to the olympic break, when guys are dealing with the wear and tear of the season, you might want to do tactics at practice instead of fitness, because by now you should know what your players are capable of doing. This isn't preseason, this is the olympic break.

David Moyes overtrained the crap out of guys at Man U this preseason, ignoring the evidence about not overtraining guys and making sure your world class player Robin van Persie, notably a fragile guy when it comes to groins and hamstrings, isn't out injured when you need somebody to score goals. David Moyes is now unemployed after the worst Man U season in the Premier League Era. Maybe not a perfect comparison but do you want a Randy Carlyle-type luddite to run your team?

Regarding Donovan in Europe, he went on loans mostly and to big clubs. No American player has ever really stuck at a big club. Dempsy had all his success at Fulham which is sorta Florida Panthers esque, but struggled at Spurs, maybe the Blues plus Canadian media. Bradley didn't play at Roma once they started to have success so he went to MLS. Donovan could have stuck at Everton but they have no money and their stadium is old. Also his loans mostly corresponded with MLS offseason, ie 3 months starting in January.

And Donovan did get us out of the group last time.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
So is Klinsmann a bad coach or just being a dick to the best American player over the last 8-10 years?

Just being a dick I think, but how good a coach are you when that is the question. Plus he hasn't done much beyond dine out on 2006 IMO. If you are like Mr Bleacher Report, then he is going to perfectly meet your low expectations. I think we are stuck in a cycle of mediocrity because all our players stay in the US where they are stars who make money instead of playing against top quality players in Europe, and that coaches like Klinsmann will always have a built in excuse why we failed this year.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Just being a dick I think, but how good a coach are you when that is the question. Plus he hasn't done much beyond dine out on 2006 IMO. If you are like Mr Bleacher Report, then he is going to perfectly meet your low expectations. I think we are stuck in a cycle of mediocrity because all our players stay in the US where they are stars who make money instead of playing against top quality players in Europe, and that coaches like Klinsmann will always have a built in excuse why we failed this year.

What do you think is the answer then?

Like I said before, USA soccer has been on that edge between legit international threat and also-rans. I don't think Klinsmann left Donovan off the squad in order to lower expectations. I don't even really agree with that article. I do think it's possible that the higher ups think the most talented American players are the younger generation and are using Brazil as a stepping stone to real significance in 2018.

We got boned with the group selections this time. If the people in charge have a grand vision I'm for it. I guess I don't see what all the hullabaloo is about. Maybe I'm biased but I've never been a big fan of Landon Donovan. The feeling I always get watching him play and speak in interviews is that this is a guy who is content to be the best American player while not being a truly great player.

Who took "his" spot on the roster?

Sports

Jul 12, 2011
Growing up, SI for Kids led me to believe Freddy Adu was the messiah.
Kinda sad to not even see him on the roster.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Growing up, SI for Kids led me to believe Freddy Adu was the messiah.
Kinda sad to not even see him on the roster.

I have an SI Kids playing card of Paul Coffey in a Red Wings jersey serving up a piping hot pot of coffee off of his stick in a Red Wings jersey from roughly 1995. **********K I'm old.

Edit: Paul Coffey had 7 90+ pt seasons and topped out at 100 and ****ing 38 points in a season. 138. One hundred and thirty eight. LMAO. Holy ****.

PetePeeters

Feb 27, 2002
Near river Rhine
Visit site
That Ghana one is beautiful. I'm digging the red and black German jerseys too.

Let`s hope that the jersey will not be the best part of the german team.
people here are expecting much,maybe too much.

By the way i really like to read on this board.People are knowing their stuff about the Stars and
respect each other.I have been on the Bruins board lurking quite often for many years now,because
they are my team in the east,but the way people are writing there has changed dramatically over
the last year or two.Some people are really getting crazy there,especially when they are playing
rivals like the Habs.
The Stars have always been my team in the west and i really like the direction this team is going.
So i think i rather will read this board over the next couple of years if you don`t mind.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
This is something that a lot of people will probably disagree with, but I don't think prime Gretzky would score more than 110 points in today's league.

It's shocking to look back and see how many soft goals the goalies used to give up.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Let`s hope that the jersey will not be the best part of the german team.
people here are expecting much,maybe too much.

By the way i really like to read on this board.People are knowing their stuff about the Stars and
respect each other.I have been on the Bruins board lurking quite often for many years now,because
they are my team in the east,but the way people are writing there has changed dramatically over
the last year or two.Some people are really getting crazy there,especially when they are playing
rivals like the Habs.
The Stars have always been my team in the west and i really like the direction this team is going.
So i think i rather will read this board over the next couple of years if you don`t mind.

Glad to have you.

Our board is one of the smallest boards on here, and everyone knows everyone, so it's naturally very close knit.

Sports

Jul 12, 2011
rivals like the Habs.

As Sean said, were glad to have you, though, we aren't without our drama either from time to time.

PetePeeters

Feb 27, 2002
Near river Rhine
Visit site
Thank you guys.
So,my name is Tom.I`m living in Cologne,Germany.
Should the Stars ever draft or sign a player from Germany,i should know something about him or at
least to get to know.

I have been in Dallas once,a long time ago during the soccer world cup back in 1994.Hope it will not be another 20 years till I get there for the second time.And this time I would like to be able to watch a Stars game at AAC.

Sports

Jul 12, 2011
Thank you guys.
So,my name is Tom.I`m living in Cologne,Germany.
Should the Stars ever draft or sign a player from Germany,i should know something about him or at
least to get to know.

I have been in Dallas once,a long time ago during the soccer world cup back in 1994.Hope it will not be another 20 years till I get there for the second time.And this time I would like to be able to watch a Stars game at AAC.

Cool. Heard nothing but good things about Germany.
Looking forward to hearing about the Stars from another point of view.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
What do you think is the answer then?

Like I said before, USA soccer has been on that edge between legit international threat and also-rans. I don't think Klinsmann left Donovan off the squad in order to lower expectations. I don't even really agree with that article. I do think it's possible that the higher ups think the most talented American players are the younger generation and are using Brazil as a stepping stone to real significance in 2018.

We got boned with the group selections this time. If the people in charge have a grand vision I'm for it. I guess I don't see what all the hullabaloo is about. Maybe I'm biased but I've never been a big fan of Landon Donovan. The feeling I always get watching him play and speak in interviews is that this is a guy who is content to be the best American player while not being a truly great player.

Who took "his" spot on the roster?

First we need to accept that we will always be drawn in a group of death, and the idea that any world cup is a stepping stone for some future world cup is bananas. You have 4 years to prepare. We need to hire the best manager we can and fire him if he can't get us out of the group. Also the way soccer is set up is to produce scholarship athletes, so we need a massive overhaul of parent expectations and youth organizations. We don't have trouble producing top athletes, but we can't compete in terms of producing technical players, and that needs to be the focus. There are obvious parallels between MLS and the KHL, so we need more guys to stay in Europe and play for teams in the top leagues. Then we need to get lucky a few times.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
There are obvious parallels between MLS and the KHL, so we need more guys to stay in Europe and play for teams in the top leagues. Then we need to get lucky a few times.

This seems like the most obvious and pertinent issue. Our players need to go (and stay) in Europe so that our national team will be better.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
This is something that a lot of people will probably disagree with, but I don't think prime Gretzky would score more than 110 points in today's league.

It's shocking to look back and see how many soft goals the goalies used to give up.

Not sure what's crazier, your statement or that you made it in a thread about the World Cup.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I don't follow soccer that closely anymore but always tune in for the World Cup. I guess I assumed that Donovan at his age would have one more go around, so yeah, that does seem strange that he got left out, although I have no basis on whether to say he'd be a better option than those included.

I do disagree with that bleacher report article and in fact that entire attitude is partly what holds USA soccer back. The team should go in with high expectations, no matter what. Making it out of the group stage should be expected regardless of what other teams are in the group. Germany, Portugal, and Ghana are all strong sides. The USA is capable of beating each and every one of them.

I'm also not sure about the necessity of our top players playing in Europe. The success of the MLS as a league has been one of the most positive developments imaginable for American soccer. From what I can tell there's near universal agreement that the league's quality continues to improve. The player base and depth of viable NT options has grown impressively. If we take that KHL comparison a step further, has the fact that Russia has several of the top players in the world who play in the best league in the world helped them in recent international competition?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad