Prospect Info: 2014 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Is what they said true about last year being Sanheim's first year of rep hockey? If so, that's complete insanity. Rising from completely out of the picture to a potential 1st round pick in two years.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Is what they said true about last year being Sanheim's first year of rep hockey? If so, that's complete insanity. Rising from completely out of the picture to a potential 1st round pick in two years.

Drouin had a pretty similar path. I think he played half of the year previous to his draft year in midget. Something along those lines.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
This draft is going to be fun. There is still absolutely no real ideas on what is going to happen. I'll be curious to see how far we reach with the 28th now. If Barbashev is somehow there, I would be completely shocked. I dont get why they have had him plummeting down the board lately.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Drouin had a pretty similar path. I think he played half of the year previous to his draft year in midget. Something along those lines.

After a bit of research, it seems that both were playing AA hockey (which blows my mind about Drouin) in their draft-3 years. Both then were in Midget AAA for the next two years, but Drouin joined Halifax halfway through the second year. Pretty interesting stuff, but I think I took what Bob was saying the wrong way. I thought he meant Sanheim was playing house league up until last season, where he randomly made the AAA team then went on to play for Calgary this year. Still impressive either way, though.

This draft is going to be fun. There is still absolutely no real ideas on what is going to happen. I'll be curious to see how far we reach with the 28th now. If Barbashev is somehow there, I would be completely shocked. I dont get why they have had him plummeting down the board lately.

Agreed. I was extremely confused with the NHL.com mock drafts that had him at 28, but if he's there on draft day I won't be upset.

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
No, actually, if comparing to Kamenev, Barbashev is more skilled, is much better at playmaking, also skating is better and is kind of cool headed, so if talking Barbashev Vs. Kamenev, I would take Barbashev any time. Kamenev is much more physical though.

I've watched Barbashev for 2 years now, and he seems to have taken his physicality to a whole new level, he hits more than he used to last year. I've watched 5 games this year (unfortunately I'm not a season ticket holder) every single game he had 1 big hit, that brought the crowd to his feet.

I seriously hope we get him with one of our picks.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
After a bit of research, it seems that both were playing AA hockey (which blows my mind about Drouin) in their draft-3 years. Both then were in Midget AAA for the next two years, but Drouin joined Halifax halfway through the second year. Pretty interesting stuff, but I think I took what Bob was saying the wrong way. I thought he meant Sanheim was playing house league up until last season, where he randomly made the AAA team then went on to play for Calgary this year. Still impressive either way, though.

I took it to mean AAA, pretty similar to Drouin's path. What excites me (and what excites me about Drouin) is that he made that jump and then excelled, because it leaves you to wonder if we've really seen his ceiling or if we're just scratching the surface.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
They both played AA because they had no other option.

Québec only introduced AAA at the peewee and bantam level this year after a small pilot bantam program last year.
Prior to that, kids played BB and AA growing up and AAA only began at the midget level.

As for Sanheim, he is from a rural part of Manitoba that was not part of the AAA league until two seasons ago.
The AAA teams were in Winnipeg (and they brought Thunder Bay into the mix for a few years), while the rest of the province was served by A or AA teams that played varying levels of competition (Jayce Hawryluk, another draft eligible this year, played on a team carded as A/AA in his second year of bantam and put up almost 5 PPG).
Larger centres like Brandon, Portage la Prairie, and Steinbach fielded teams in the AAA league also, but were carded as AA.
It was not until this past season that they had a true AAA league that covered many of the rural areas.

Unrelated but since you mentioned house league, Damon Severson, a Devils pick in 2012, played house league in his bantam draft year.
He played AA during his first year then dropped down to A (house) during his second.

Edit: If you're wondering who I am, I wandered over here to check the Lindback thread to see what you guys thought about him.
After that, I checked in on this thread and had to post because I know a lot of useless information.

Last edited:

jhoops89

R.I.P. Thrashers
Mar 14, 2012
Who would you draft this year?

If you're Steve Yzerman, Al Murray, and Stacy Roest, who do you draft this year? I planned my selections out through the 7th round although I'm not sure how far off I am with who goes where but anyway here you go...

19: Ivan Barbashev/ Roland McKeown
28: Jack Dougherty/Travis Sanheim
50: Blake Siebenaler
80: Chase De Leo/Dysin Mayo
140: Jaedon Descheneau
142: Josh Thrower
170: Hunter Miska
200: I wasn't sure here since it's so deep into the draft so maybe a college player or a underrated CHL player?

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Sanheim is the riser this year.... Doubt he's available at our picks, guess he will go top-14 or so.

Barbashev should be ours though

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
NHL.com mock drafts:

Adam Kimelman has us pick Milano at #19 and Barbashev at #28: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=723186
Mike Morreale has us pick DeAngelo at #19 and Fabbri at #28: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=723192
Steven Hoffner has us pick McCann at #19 and Barbashev at #28: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=723213

If any of these guys are available at either of our pick. I'll be excited, Jared McCann is one of my favorite prospects this year. I dont see him slip to 19 though. As for Barbashev at 28, even with a little bit of a russian factor doubt it happens.

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
If you're Steve Yzerman, Al Murray, and Stacy Roest, who do you draft this year? I planned my selections out through the 7th round although I'm not sure how far off I am with who goes where but anyway here you go...

19: Ivan Barbashev/ Roland McKeown
28: Jack Dougherty/Travis Sanheim
50: Blake Siebenaler
80: Chase De Leo/Dysin Mayo
140: Jaedon Descheneau
142: Josh Thrower
170: Hunter Miska
200: I wasn't sure here since it's so deep into the draft so maybe a college player or a underrated CHL player?

I'm sure they'll go Goalie and overage player for 6th and 7th pick. We might not need a goalie this year but SFY really like to keep the Goalie pool full of talented G. 7th rounder I have a feeling they'll pick a guy who can help Syracuse right away or at the latest next season.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
If any of these guys are available at either of our pick. I'll be excited, Jared McCann is one of my favorite prospects this year. I dont see him slip to 19 though. As for Barbashev at 28, even with a little bit of a russian factor doubt it happens.

I really dont want mccann he plays style we would like kinda safe pick but dont see the offensive upside to him. Dont see him ever getting out of our third line and that would be if he was a winger even. He isnt taking a center job:)

I mean i look at some guys goldoblin? 94 points and only basically had one team mate all year? Sucky team? Than look at mccann and the plus minus of the situation there and im like nah got to go with guy with the upside take the risk:)

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
I really dont want mccann he plays style we would like kinda safe pick but dont see the offensive upside to him. Dont see him ever getting out of our third line and that would be if he was a winger even. He isnt taking a center job:)

I mean i look at some guys goldoblin? 94 points and only basically had one team mate all year? Sucky team? Than look at mccann and the plus minus of the situation there and im like nah got to go with guy with the upside take the risk:)

Looks like you watched Bob McKenzie's take on Jared McCann haha, I just watched it. kinda crushed my McCann hopes.

So many guys I want SFY to take, every year he picks guys that I wasn't expecting lol (1. Erne pick mostly because I didn't think he was going to be available, and 2. for a second when FLA passed Seth Jones, I thought he was going to pick him)

Either way, my trust is in Al Murray. We should get decent draft picks. Also I trust SFY will try his best to pick up a Dmen partner for Hedman on the draft floor.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Looks like you watched Bob McKenzie's take on Jared McCann haha, I just watched it. kinda crushed my McCann hopes.

So many guys I want SFY to take, every year he picks guys that I wasn't expecting lol (1. Erne pick mostly because I didn't think he was going to be available, and 2. for a second when FLA passed Seth Jones, I thought he was going to pick him)

Either way, my trust is in Al Murray. We should get decent draft picks. Also I trust SFY will try his best to pick up a Dmen partner for Hedman on the draft floor.

murray has been extremely good.

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=96639 heres a podcast matt sammon with murray than killorn pretty good stuff.

Well I wasnt that high on mccann before bob though? I really looked at the other guys what they were doing. Scherbak is similar player you got ho sang or goldy lighting it up so you got to ask do you take the safe guy? We dont seem to be a team taking the safe guy so doubt we would take him. Now if we had him at 9 and he is there at 19 and no one we had that low is? Well put faith in the system:)

I believe in grabbing the superstar over guys who might wind up in our bottom cause we can always find those guys. I just see mccann as a sheahan of detroit lite center right now and sheahan I have said if he is the number 2 of the future detroit is in trouble and I love sheahan lol. He plays a game that will translate but he is better on third line in checking role and shut down role imo. Now if remember right detroit did pick sheahan pretty early in low 20s so mccann would be ok at 19. Just is others would take a shot at myself if they are around.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Red Line Report Mock Draft

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...6/24/mock-draft-red-line-report-nhl/11314861/

19. Tampa Bay Lightning — Ivan Barbashev. Stevie Y and company have shown a willingness to take a chance on Russian talent early in the draft. Barbashev is the most complete two-way forward left on the board, so the Lightning stike.
28. Tampa Bay (from NY Rangers) — Travis Sanheim. Call it a hunch, but we just can't see 30 teams passing up this big, great-skating raw talent. Has the potential to develop into the best WHL defenseman in the class over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad