Prospect Info: 2014 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
It's that time again. 2014 draft talk.

2014 NHL Draft set for June 27-28 in Philadelphia

CSS 2014 ONES TO WATCH

"A" Players (aka potential first-round picks)

PLAYER|TEAM|POS|HT|WT|HF|YT|MORE

Barbashev, Ivan |Moncton|LW|6.01|185| HF | YT | 10/3 Bennett, Sam |Kingston|LW|6.00|178| HF | YT |-

Clarke, Blake |North Bay|LW|6.01|197| HF | YT | 9/27 Dal Colle, Michael |Oshawa|LW|6.02|179| HF | YT | 9/19 , 10/5 De Leo, Chase |Portland|LC|5.09|177| HF | YT | 9/27 Demko, Thatcher |Boston College|G|6.04|182| HF | YT |-

Draisaitl, Leon |Prince Albert|LC|6.02|208| HF | YT | 9/9 , 9/26 Ekblad, Aaron |Barrie|RD|6.04|216| HF | YT | 9/11 Fleury, Haydn |Red Deer|LD|6.03|198| HF | YT |-

Ho Sang, Josh |Windsor|RW|5.11|166| HF | YT | 8/20 Honka, Julius |Swift Current|RD|5.11|175| HF | YT | 10/1 , 10/3 Kapanen, Kasperi |Kalpa|RW|5.11|175| HF | YT | 9/23 Kempe, Adrian |Modo Jr.|LW|6.02|187| HF | YT | 8/28 Larkin, Dylan |USNTDP|LC|6.01|190| HF | YT | 9/27 ; College: Michigan

Martin, Brycen |Swift Current|LD|6.02|184| HF | YT |-

McCann, Jared |Sault Ste. Marie|LC|6.01|179| HF | YT | 8/14 , 10/4 McKeown, Roland |Kingston|RD|6.02|197| HF | YT | 8/28 , 10/5 Milano, Sonny |USNTDP|LW|5.11|185| HF | YT | 7/31 , 9/27 ; College: Notre Dame

Mistele, Matt|Plymouth|LW|6.02|190|[url="http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1489153&highlight=mistele"]HF | YT | 9/23 Nedeljkovic, Alex |Plymouth|G|6.00|184| HF | YT | 10/1 Nylander, William |Rogle|RC|5.11|169| HF | YT | 9/5 Pastrnak, David |Sodertalje|RW|6.00|167| HF | YT |-

Reinhart, Sam |Kootenay|RC|6.01|185| HF | YT | 7/10 , 9/2 , 9/11 Ritchie, Nick |Peteborough|LW|6.02|231| HF| YT |-

Schmaltz, Nick |Green Bay|RC|6.00|172| HF | YT | 9/27 ; College: North Dakota

Virtanen, Jake |Calgary|LW|6.01|208| HF | YT |-

Vrana, Jakub [/URL]|Linkoping|LW|5.11|185| HF | YT |-

Watson, Spencer |Kingston|RW|5.09|170| HF | YT |-

Last edited:

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Looks like another top 10 pick coming our way!

Balloons-Falling-Colbert-Report.gif

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Lots of forwards in this draft, unfortunately. If we're on the board early and Ekblad/McKeown is gone, we may be in a position to trade the pick. Hopefully it doesn't come to that and we have a mid-to-late pick.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
30th and alex tuch sounds good to me honestly:) Hehe.

Anyway you see the size of all these kids and how many good centers there are this year in a supposed to be bad draft year? Is that just about the kid being in 2015 or what?

There isn't much high-end quality, unlike last draft. There is a lot of quantity though. Think about this draft as the reverse of the 2012 draft. The 2012 draft was deep in defense and weak on forward. The 2014 draft is strong on forward and weak on defense. There also is no clear-cut #1 pick unlike previous years. I'm not very high on Reinhart, who is the top center available in the draft.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
There isn't much high-end quality, unlike last draft. There is a lot of quantity though. Think about this draft as the reverse of the 2012 draft. The 2012 draft was deep in defense and weak on forward. The 2014 draft is strong on forward and weak on defense. There also is no clear-cut #1 pick unlike previous years. I'm not very high on Reinhart, who is the top center available in the draft.

Well, I don't really think that there was a clear-cut #1 pick for this year either. Last summer both Jones and MacKinnon made a strong case for being the #1 pick and Barkov wasn't too far behind. And then Drouin joined the competition. 2010 Seguin and Hall were very close as were Nugent-Hopkins and Larsson in 2011. But otherwise I agree with you.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Most reports I've seen are calling this a weak draft. My guess is TB will be a lottery team, unfortunately, but we'll probably only get a serviceable player out of it. We've been finding those in the 3rd/4th round for a couple of years now.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012

First OT: can you guys reply with your iPhone without using a quote? I can't judt click on reply :/

Anyways back to topic:
First off I never see players live and can only go from scouting reports, but I read as much of them as I can. Some players I like in the first two rounds, not exactly looking were we might pick. You will see a lot of physical players on the list. And the reson is easy: We have so many smart players in the system, even on D (sustr, Barbs, Nesterov), but with Gudas graduating we lost the only defender with NHL upside and a real physical edge. Some on forward with only Erne and Panik. I really hope we either trade the pick for a defender or go after a guy with physical abilities.

Ekblad: IMO he gets underrated, because he is not very flashy but is incredible effective. Just like Ryan Murray who gets criminally underrated as well. Of course those are not the guys that will win you a Norris Trophy. At least it's less likely than for defenders with a flashy game, like karlsson, Chara or Subban.

Leon Draisaitl: Powerforward center that can play wing as well. He always reminds me as a more consistent more talented Panik. Both will not hit the hell out of you (like Erne can), but know very well how to use their body effectivly. But IMO he will need some time to grow. As he is a late 1995 he only will have to play 1 more CHL season after the draft and will go to the AHL then, which should be perfect for him as a development timetable.

Hayden Fleury: Do it all defender with a little physicsl edge, but needs some time to grow as well. Has decent offensive tools.

Bryce Martin: Pretty much ekblad lite, consistent very few faults, unnoticable, could use some more offense.

Nick Ritchie: More talented Erne, but he is a winger so I doubt we have that much interedt in him.

Alexis Pepin: Big center (6'2, 238 lbs!!), physical, hard to get off the puck, problem is he is slow and due to this it's questionable wether he can make an impact as top6, -> might have to lose some weight. Pretty strong in the defensive end.

Aaron Hayden: Big and knows it. Note a huge offensive upside, but goes after the puck and the attackers with agression and seperates them however he can. Has no problem going after other big boys and let them play a little together ;)

Brandon Lemieux: Smaller powerforward (6'0) but very effective and great blood line in terms of skill.

Yzlamic Preacher*

First OT: can you guys reply with your iPhone without using a quote? I can't judt click on reply :/

Anyways back to topic:
First off I never see players live and can only go from scouting reports, but I read as much of them as I can. Some players I like in the first two rounds, not exactly looking were we might pick. You will see a lot of physical players on the list. And the reson is easy: We have so many smart players in the system, even on D (sustr, Barbs, Nesterov), but with Gudas graduating we lost the only defender with NHL upside and a real physical edge. Some on forward with only Erne and Panik. I really hope we either trade the pick for a defender or go after a guy with physical abilities.

Ekblad: IMO he gets underrated, because he is not very flashy but is incredible effective. Just like Ryan Murray who gets criminally underrated as well. Of course those are not the guys that will win you a Norris Trophy. At least it's less likely than for defenders with a flashy game, like karlsson, Chara or Subban.

Leon Draisaitl: Powerforward center that can play wing as well. He always reminds me as a more consistent more talented Panik. Both will not hit the hell out of you (like Erne can), but know very well how to use their body effectivly. But IMO he will need some time to grow. As he is a late 1995 he only will have to play 1 more CHL season after the draft and will go to the AHL then, which should be perfect for him as a development timetable.

Hayden Fleury: Do it all defender with a little physicsl edge, but needs some time to grow as well. Has decent offensive tools.

Bryce Martin: Pretty much ekblad lite, consistent very few faults, unnoticable, could use some more offense.

Nick Ritchie: More talented Erne, but he is a winger so I doubt we have that much interedt in him.

Alexis Pepin: Big center (6'2, 238 lbs!!), physical, hard to get off the puck, problem is he is slow and due to this it's questionable wether he can make an impact as top6, -> might have to lose some weight. Pretty strong in the defensive end.

Aaron Hayden: Big and knows it. Note a huge offensive upside, but goes after the puck and the attackers with agression and seperates them however he can. Has no problem going after other big boys and let them play a little together ;)

Brandon Lemieux: Smaller powerforward (6'0) but very effective and great blood line in terms of skill.

The secret is buying an android.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
The secret is buying an android.

The secret is having a gradnfather that loves iPhones and buys himself a new one every two years and you get the old one for free, but the iphones still look like a new one when I get them and i don't know how he can handle them sl nice...

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
The secret is having a gradnfather that loves iPhones and buys himself a new one every two years and you get the old one for free, but the iphones still look like a new one when I get them and i don't know how he can handle them sl nice...

Did you update it to iOS7? I think iOS7 Safari has some serious issues wherein it has broken lots of pages. I know Large Forms don't work anymore, which is ****ing Pejorative Slured.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013

If you're using the phone version of the site there should be the "Quick reply" option when you scroll all the way down. I'm using Android though so it might be different on iPhone.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
I really hope we can land either Jack Glover or Anthony DeAngelo in the first round.

Glover is big, very calm (even under pressure) defender and can move the puck well out of the zone.

DeAngelo is your prototypical offensive defender. Already well over a PPG in the CHL, but as most offensive defenders a little undersized with 5'10 and something around 180 lbs.

But both would really serve well in our prospect pool.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
There are going to be a plethora of Russians available in the late 1st. Maybe Yzerman drafts a winger to round out the Namestnikov-Kucherov line

AimForTopCheddar

trust the yzerplan
Feb 7, 2012
Calgary
There are going to be a plethora of Russians available in the late 1st. Maybe Yzerman drafts a winger to round out the Namestnikov-Kucherov line

That would be horrible in my opinion. We already have a lot of young wingers, we should not just go after a Russian winger so we can have a all Russian line. It is time to start stockpiling the dman prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad