Prospect Info: 2014 Draft - Which Sam do you prefer: Reinhart vs. Bennett

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Just take Reinhart. He has 3 quality seasons in the W including 2 with 80+ points/ppg and another near ppg season. He has been considered the best forward in this class for a few years now and he was the joe chosen for the WJC team and not Bennett. I would just laugh if we went off the board at #2 and took someone beside Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett.

Who cares if we was on the WJR and Bennett wasn't, he is a 95 and Bennett is a 96. A full year older by Hockey Canada standards. Essentially a full year is alot when you are talking 17 vs 18 year old kids.

Who cares if one of them has more quality seasons, last year was the FIRST year Bennett was eligible to even play in the OHL, and he had a very good year on a bad team as a 16 year old for the entire season. Bennett's 17 year old season PPG was 1.59 while Reinhart's PPG was 1.18PPG although it's a not a great way to judge.

Of course guys like Reinhart are going to be considered a top pick for longer, well because they have been on the radar longer with being a year older.

WNY to NoVA

May 16, 2011
if we arent looking for DAY 1 impact (which murray seems to be leaning with prior comments about not expecting this year's rd1 pick to play in the NHL this year) you almost have to go Bennett due to age and production.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Who cares if we was on the WJR and Bennett wasn't, he is a 95 and Bennett is a 96. A full year older by Hockey Canada standards. Essentially a full year is alot when you are talking 17 vs 18 year old kids.

Who cares if one of them has more quality seasons, last year was the FIRST year Bennett was eligible to even play in the OHL, and he had a very good year on a bad team as a 16 year old for the entire season. Bennett's 17 year old season PPG was 1.59 while Reinhart's PPG was 1.18PPG although it's a not a great way to judge.

Of course guys like Reinhart are going to be considered a top pick for longer, well because they have been on the radar longer with being a year older.

Furthermore, it's not like Canada won the Gold. Their selections left a lot to be desired.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I just re listened to the Murray interview that discusses the SAMs.

Combining that with the comment that "we are more confident that we were going to be able to get our guy at two than we were about winning the lottery," and I think the staff is leaning Bennett.

I interpreted Murray differently, that he was positioning himself to say he got exactly who he wanted, regardless of whom he selects. Then again, I don't expect Florida to pick Ekblad either and that likely affected my perception.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad