2014 Draft Thread – Part Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroPT*

With a few exceptions (e.g., Erik Karlsson), I think a defenseman scoring 40+ points is as much about opportunity (i.e., playing time) as anything else. Ekblad will be on the ice 25+ minutes per game, and he'll get top PP minutes on the point. In furtherance of this point, I don't think anyone would say that Ehrhoff has been an offensive dynamo since he came to Buffalo, but his 82-game averages put him around 40 pts per season.

I think Ekblad will be a shoo-in to score 40+ in most years.

Fair enough. As I said, there's something about him which puts me off. He'll be a great player nevertheless

ZeroPT*

I've given thought to it and it could make sense for Reinhart to slip..
Assuming the standings stay as they are and we win the lotto.
Buffalo could prefer another forward (Bennett and Draisaitl come to mind)
Edmonton is taking Ekblad
Florida has an array of centers and could use a big scorer like Dal Colle or Ritchie
NYI- I think they take him

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Everytime I watch Ekblad I always come away thinking "he is clearly the best player in the draft" but I don't want to believe it because we could really use a forward. In saying that would Ekblad be your selection? or would you pass for a forward? If you look at each players total package, and if you have to peg one guy at a franchise player at the next level it's going to be Aaron Ekblad.

A guy like Bennett for example is a player I think the world of, but even him I view more of a piece of the puzzle then the entire picture.
BPA, so Ekblad.

Fotes18

Sep 7, 2010
BPA, so Ekblad.

I honestly think you have to go BPA no matter what. Idc of position, or organizational strength. If any of these guys including our D prospects are as good as we say, then we should have no problem getting a premium price for one of them later on.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I honestly think you have to go BPA no matter what. Idc of position, or organizational strength. If any of these guys including our D prospects are as good as we say, then we should have no problem getting a premium price for one of them later on.

Worked for Edmonton. Teams are obviously lining up to trade their #1 defensemen for Nail Yakupov.

ZeroPT*

Unless there is a CLEAR BPA, I say you take the player who fits your team best. If when TM sits down with his scouts and they unanimously say Ekblad is #1 (you take Ekblad) If not I think you take a forward because he ultimately fits best.

Last edited by a moderator:

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Taking Ekblad would set our rebuild back another 2-3 years. We won't have 1st line offensive talent for another year unless we trade for one.

Fotes18

Sep 7, 2010
Worked for Edmonton. Teams are obviously lining up to trade their #1 defensemen for Nail Yakupov.

Probably because Edmonton is trying to trade a streaky young scoring winger that offers nothing else.

You take Ekblad, and if he, Risto, Zads are really that good the market will be there. If you even want to/need to move one. Who said you have to trade one?

Fotes18

Sep 7, 2010
Wasn't one of the possible explanations for this that they didn't see Jones falling to them period, so Ristolainen getting picked there would have been worse because he and Jones would both be gone?

I don't know if it was just chopped up but I went back and watched this again.

He seems to be telling people early about Ristolainen and was extremely upset when Nashville walked to the podium with their Finnish scout.

Either way, I got the feeling he liked Ristolainen a lot more than he liked Nurse.

Then they just simply weren't expecting Zadorov to fall to them, and when he did they just couldn't resist. I have to admit I was upset they didn't go forward in the first but now I'm really happy they didn't.

Splintered Sherwood

Oct 25, 2013
I know it is not a particularly deep draft, but I wish Murray could somehow acquire a second pick at the top of the draft so he can get a chance at drafting Nikolaj Ehlers. That combination of hands and skating ability is really hard to disregard.

A draft that would yield either a Reinhart-Ehlers, Ekblad-Ehlers or even a Bennett-Ehlers combo would make me a really happy Sabres fan.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Taking Ekblad would set our rebuild back another 2-3 years. We won't have 1st line offensive talent for another year unless we trade for one.
Nonsense. There isn't a forward in this draft who is clear cut elite enough to say that about. I like Risto and Zadorov is growing on me but neither is a sure fire thing as far as the future goes. Buffalo's prospect pool right now is built around depth. We don't have a guaranteed great player at any position. You take BPA at any position. Taking Ekblad is fine if that is the player the organization has ranked as #1.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Nonsense. There isn't a forward in this draft who is clear cut elite enough to say that about. I like Risto and Zadorov is growing on me but neither is a sure fire thing as far as the future goes. Buffalo's prospect pool right now is built around depth. We don't have a guaranteed great player at any position. You take BPA at any position. Taking Ekblad is fine if that is the player the organization has ranked as #1.

Disagree, look at the last 10 drafts and tell me how many non first liners are there that are forwards. Most are, especially if you pick 1st overall.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Do you think it's a possibility that Buffalo takes Ekblad at the draft assuming they win the lottery and trade a package of Tyler Myers+NYI 1st(If not deferred) for EDM's 2nd overall?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Do you think it's a possibility that Buffalo takes Ekblad at the draft assuming they win the lottery and trade a package of Tyler Myers+NYI 1st(If not deferred) for EDM's 2nd overall?

There is literally 0% chance they move Myers + top 5 picks for pick 2-3. Especially when they could get a player they value just as highly at 4/5 as 2. And yes there is a possibility they take Ekblad, if Tim Murray wants Ekblad at 1 then that's who we are taking. They probably still have 3-4 guys in the mix if they had the top pick.

ZeroPT*

I'd be reluctant to move Myers for EDM's pick, adding NYI's 1st makes me cringe

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I'm just trying to get an idea on your guys' rebuild so sorry if I ask stupid questions lol. I wasn't aware of how bad the Islanders were doing this year, didn't realize it's looking like a top 5 pick at the moment. I just know that Edmonton is known to be looking at defensive help and I believe they have stated that if Ekblad wasn't available that they would be looking to move their pick this year.

So a few questions. Do you guys think you are more likely to take Reinhart or Ekblad #1 this year? Assuming you get one of Ekblad or Reinhart this year, who do you guys think would be the most likely taken next year assuming you miss out on McDavid and land between 2-5? Who do you guys expect to take with the Islanders pick if it's #5 this year and between 2-10 next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad