2014 Draft Thread – Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Is this one of those if you dont have anything nice to say dont say it?

I mean Im just saying it like I saw it. I watched a #1 player for most of the game, but when McDavid was benched I didnt see him do much.

That is all. I'm not making any assumptions. I was just wondering if McDavid being on the ice opened up things for him. I never said dont draft him or he is not worth #1.

You should pull up the films on MacKinnon from last year to see how #1 picks normally play in this tournament. Reinhart has been considerably more impressive so far than MacKinnon last year for Canada.

I think your expectations may be too high as draft eligible players rarely shine in this tournament - even ones that end up stars in the NHL.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Just facts. After the set up on the PP about 30 seconds into the 3rd he was no where to be found. It was one of those games i was waiting for the star to take over. I think he had one decent shift in the 3rd, dont even remember if it created a shot.

They're not facts. They're your opinions that you are trying to pass off as fact.

And Reinhart isn't even close to the "star" of Team Canada......

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Watched the whole game. Said positive things about Reinhart as I watched. McDavid gets benched and Reinhart went away.

Is the fact that he made plays for and with guys like Drouin and Horvat earlier in the game at all included in your analysi? Were those plays simply a result of McJesus's aura?

You're correlating McDavid's benching as a cause for Reinhart not having a strong period of hockey--say nothing for the sample size underlying your sweeping conclusions. Perhaps your theory would have at least an ounce of validity if Reinhart's plays were only being created with or by McDavid. But anyone who watched that game knows he was playing well with and off several other players, as well.

Just facts. After the set up on the PP about 30 seconds into the 3rd he was no where to be found. It was one of those games i was waiting for the star to take over. I think he had one decent shift in the 3rd, dont even remember if it created a shot.

Perhaps this is where your problem lies. Reinhart is in his draft year. The rest of the Canadian team has been drafted by NHL teams. A number of those players were either drafted highly, or already have some NHL experience, or have been to one or more NHL development camps, etc.

Players, especially Canadian players, rarely dominate the U20 WJC in their 17-18 yr old draft year. (The ones who are even able to make the team, that is.) Look no further than a guy like MacKinnon.

You should pull up the films on MacKinnon from last year to see how #1 picks normally play in this tournament. Reinhart has been considerably more impressive so far than MacKinnon last year for Canada.

I think your expectations may be too high as draft eligible players rarely shine in this tournament - even ones that end up stars in the NHL.

Agree on all points. I'd argue that through the 2nd period today, Reinhart was one of Canada's top-3 players in the tournament. He's been incredibly impressive for a draft-year player.

People pull this **** every year. I remember how some were saying that Drouin and Jones had passed MacKinnon after last year's WJC.

ZeroPT*

Reinhart was great. And not because of McJesus, but because of his great play. His instincts are off the charts and his playmaking is too. People say he isn't dynamic because he doesn't light up the score sheet. But he does dominate games with his IQ,Defensive play and his presence. He's amazing.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Can I just point out that guys in their draft year (or earlier in the case of McDavid) shouldn't be expected to stand out in the WJC? If they do then amazing, but if Reinhart or McDavid struggle, it doesn't mean a thing. This whole analyzing whether Reinhart or McDavid was good/bad/at fault etc. is simply irrelevant to their status as top draft prospects.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Can I just point out that guys in their draft year (or earlier in the case of McDavid) shouldn't be expected to stand out in the WJC? If they do then amazing, but if Reinhart or McDavid struggle, it doesn't mean a thing. This whole analyzing whether Reinhart or McDavid was good/bad/at fault etc. is simply irrelevant to their status as top draft prospects.

All I did was make a general point and everyone jumped all over me like I said the guy stinks or isnt worth the pick. If anyone says they arent watching Reinhart close hoping he plays well then they are lying. This is our future hopefully.

I have loved Reinhart in WJC, I wasnt excited about him before.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
OK, let assume we continue down our path of destruction and end up winning the lottery for the #1 pick.

If the Islanders end up with the 2nd pick in this years draft, do they keep the pick and risk the 2015 draft?

If they option it to Buffalo and we pick 1-2 do we pick both Reinhart and Ekbland?
Do we pick Reinhart and then maybe gamble with Michael Dal Colle?
Do we pick Reinhart and then try to trade the #2 pick?

Any way you look at it, I want Reinhart, the guy got a great combination of offense and defense. He's a play maker with a little grit and leadership?

If we only we lose the lottery and pick #2, let's hope the Islanders pick #3 and we could grab Ekbland and Dal Colle and maybe use both of those picks to move to #1.

what do you all think?

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
OK, let assume we continue down our path of destruction and end up winning the lottery for the #1 pick.

If the Islanders end up with the 2nd pick in this years draft, do they keep the pick and risk the 2015 draft?

If they option it to Buffalo and we pick 1-2 do we pick both Reinhart and Ekbland?

Any way you look at it, I want Reinhart, the guy got a great combination of offense and defense. He's a play maker with a little grit and leadership?

If we only we lose the lottery and pick #2, let's hope the Islanders pick #3 and we could grab Ekbland and Dal Colle and maybe use both of those picks to move to #1.

what do you all think?

Islanders would definitely keep the pick and risk for the next year if it was #2 overall.

With that said and your scenario, you have to take Reinhart and Ekblad. Rarely do you come across the option to get one elite talent, let alone two.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

what do you all think?

I wouldn't waste brain cells on it, the Isles will take a player at 2-5 almost guaranteed and I'd be surprised if they didn't make a pick in the top 10. "Risking the 2015 draft" means risking, at best, a 20% chance that if you suck epically you get the 1st pick. Let's stop with this "OMG NED MROE PIKZ FER MACDAVD!" No one is sacrificing a top 5 pick for the sake of maybe lucking into McDavid next year.

Would you trade Draisaitl/Dal Colle/Bennet/Nylander for an unknown 1st next season? Only on HFboards do those things happen.

Last edited:

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
With Lafontaine in charge I wonder if he will make an effort to draft him.

Speaking of Sabres throwbacks, Daniel Audette is draft eligible this year. He has been putting up points in the Q, and I would not be suprised to see someone take him in the late2-3 round range. Lack of size and strength are hurting him. If he was 2 inches taller and 20 lb heavier, he would be a 1st rounder. Former 1st rd pick in the Q.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Speaking of Sabres throwbacks, Daniel Audette is draft eligible this year. He has been putting up points in the Q, and I would not be suprised to see someone take him in the late2-3 round range. Lack of size and strength are hurting him. If he was 2 inches taller and 20 lb heavier, he would be a 1st rounder. Former 1st rd pick in the Q.

Donny's kid?

Short little guy isn't he? Lots of skill though I would 100% take him with a late second.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
So Chainshot has used this line the past 2 years after 41 games of hoping we'd have a shot at the #1 pick...

"Who looks good at 13th overall this year?"

:(

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Donny's kid?

Short little guy isn't he? Lots of skill though I would 100% take him with a late second.

Late second/early third I figure take a chance on some high risk type guys. I think we have enough 2/3rd lines type guys already in the pipeline.
High == St. Louis, his dad
Low == bust.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
That play where he lifts the stick and then makes the quick pass...:amazed:

Reminds me of Toews.

I see a lot of Bergeron in him (Patrice, you wiseguys). Hockey IQ and attention to detail. Don't think he's as explosive as Toews to give you that elite 1C threat.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
In watching the Team Canada games, the scouting report about his hockey IQ is definitely accurate. Smart player, goes to scoring areas, can play all three phases. Flashes some nice creativity. I especially liked his kick pass to the front of the net following the point shot off the end boards. I've never seen that before, and it almost worked.

He's such a good all-around player, I doubt he turns into anything less than a 70+ point, all situations center that you can play against the other teams' top lines every night. He would definitely be an organizational gem for many years to come.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
If I had to use a comparable who he plays like I would probably say Sedin or even Zetterberg. The Toews comparable comes from nationality and intangibles. He isn't near as dynamic as Toews and is more of a subtle player. He is going to be Sam Reinhart in the NHL and make his mark as one of the better players in the league, the way he plays I could see him as a top 6 guy from day one. He looks like a lock to be picked #1 in june in my eyes, I don't see another forward even close being as good as him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad