2014 Draft Thread – Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Anyone else not too worried about EDM tanking at all this year? If they win the lotto again and pick 1st, there's no way they don't pick Ekblad right? I can only imagine the insanity if they go after yet another forward.

Oilers fan here, the Oilers would have drafted (C) Sean Monahan at #7 if the Flames hadn't taken him one pick earlier instead of (D) Darnell Nurse. I'm pretty sure the Oilers will take BPA if it's between a center and a D-man. They're more likely to try and trade for a proven top pairing D-man. That said most Oiler fans are hoping the Oilers get Ekblad.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
I'm pretty sure the Oilers will take BPA if it's between a center and a D-man. They're more likely to try and trade for a proven top pairing D-man. That said most Oiler fans are hoping the Oilers get Ekblad.
For EDM, it may never come to a nail-biting decision between a C & D-man. At the very least, Ekblad is right there at the top with Reinhart, or whoever may emerge on offense, and right now is at least arguably the BPA regardless of position, so choosing him could both fill a need AND be BPA for the Oil.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
My limited viewing- tv only- of this years top prospects has not yet excited me as much as last years'. While it is still early I do not see anyone who would have been a shoo in for the top 10 last year. I know the Swedes have a veteran junior team with good skills but their team speed against Canada was a bit demoralizing. We may be putting too much hope in a guy like Reinhart who may stand out due to a weaker talent pool than an objective high standard.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
My limited viewing- tv only- of this years top prospects has not yet excited me as much as last years'. While it is still early I do not see anyone who would have been a shoo in for the top 10 last year. I know the Swedes have a veteran junior team with good skills but their team speed against Canada was a bit demoralizing. We may be putting too much hope in a guy like Reinhart who may stand out due to a weaker talent pool than an objective high standard.

Saying that Reinhart and Ekblad wouldn't be top 10 picks in last years class is just ridiculous.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Saying that Reinhart and Ekblad wouldn't be top 10 picks in last years class is just ridiculous.

Agreed. Reinhart and Ekblad are miles ahead of Risto, Horvat etc. The only surefire players ahead of Ekblad and Reinhart from the 2013 draft class would be MacKinnon,Barkov and maybe Jones, though I would take Ekblad over Jones.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Agreed. Reinhart and Ekblad are miles ahead of Risto, Horvat etc. The only surefire players ahead of Ekblad and Reinhart from the 2013 draft class would be MacKinnon,Barkov and maybe Jones, though I would take Ekblad over Jones.

I might be looking at hindsight too much, but obviously nichuskin in Dallas is looking like a future power forward of Malkin's ilk.

I was on board with taking nich too.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I might be looking at hindsight too much, but obviously nichuskin in Dallas is looking like a future power forward of Malkin's ilk.

I was on board with taking nich too.

I still feel that they would have if they had known Zadorov would be there at 16

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I hope you guys are right-the pressure on our number one pick will be tremendous. I know I do not sense a sure fire star first line forward--from your lips to God's ears!

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I hope you guys are right-the pressure on our number one pick will be tremendous. I know I do not sense a sure fire star first line forward--from your lips to God's ears!

Reinhart is a 1st line player, just not an elite 1st line player.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Reinhart would likely have went 4th overall last year and Ekblad would have went 5th or 6th depending on whom Nashville preferred, probably Jones.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
From Pronman's ESPN breakdown of Canada's WJC team:

Aaron Ekblad, D, 2014 draft eligible

Ekblad is vying to be the top pick in the 2014 NHL draft, and a strong performance as a 17-year-old defenseman in Canada's top four could be a helpful boost to his chances. Ekblad is a very physically developed defender who takes his checks well with his big frame, but overall has the defensive knowledge to understand how to make all kinds of plays in his own end. He's really developed his offensive side as well, and can display pretty good puck-moving skills.

Sam Reinhart, C, 2014 draft eligible

Reinhart is a top-two prospect for the upcoming draft along with Aaron Ekblad. He approaches the game with an elite-level mindset, as he'll regularly show the ability to slow the game down, seeing all the options around the ice, but can also make the quick reads and distributions when he senses the right opportunity. Reinhart is not a blazing skater or the biggest player, but he creates a ton of offense and is pretty reliable defensively as well.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Reinhart would likely have went 4th overall last year and Ekblad would have went 5th or 6th depending on whom Nashville preferred, probably Jones.

I'm pretty sure that's a general consensus.

From everything I read, Reinhart's mental game is every bit as good as MacKinnon or Barkov, he's just not quite the athlete that they are. That said, he still projects to be a top liner if he develops (in the Bergeron/Richards mold).

Ekblad/Jones seems like an ideal pair in the NHL. Both are guys who aren't afraid to throw around their weights. However, seems like the defensive side of the game comes a bit more naturally to a guy like Ekblad than Jones....while the offensive side of the game comes more naturally to Jones (NOTE: I am NOT saying that either is "bad" in any aspect....just that one is better than the other naturally). I think you're right that it'd come down to what a franchise values more.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I would have been happy with McKinnon, Barkov, Lindholm or Monahan at centre last year-never mind Drouin, Nichushkin , Jones et al. To have Reinhart put ahead of a bunch of those guys --well that would be wonderful.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
If by chance the Sabres don't finish with pick 1 or 2 in 2014 draft.....who would be your choices for picks 3-5 in 1st round for the Sabres. Draisaitl will probably be the clear cut favorite at pick 3, but after that, is there a consensus pick?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
If by chance the Sabres don't finish with pick 1 or 2 in 2014 draft.....who would be your choices for picks 3-5 in 1st round for the Sabres. Draisaitl will probably be the clear cut favorite at pick 3, but after that, is there a consensus pick?

I don't think there's a consensus #3 guy yet. Heck, even on this board there's far from a majority.

I THINK it'll come down to Dal Colle, Bennett or Draisatl. Maybe Nylander too.

Right now from that group I favor Dal Colle a bit over the rest, but it's close.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
......Drouin went 3rd overall. I was agreeing with the guy that the general concensus seems to be that Reinhart would have went 4th overall.........

I say 6th or 7th. I think he compares a lot to Monahan. IMO Monahan is the #1 pick in 2014.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I don't think he would go ahead of Jones...
He more than likely would have. If Drouin at wing can go ahead of Jones then Reinhart at center would have as well. Jones being 1st or 2nd on lists before the draft to me was always media driven.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Buzzing The Net - WJC: Reinhart, Ekblad and Draisaitl lead the top NHL draft prospects:
“Reinhart is very versatile and could even be successful in a defensive role as he sees the ice incredibly well and positions himself perfectly away from the puck,†says ISS head scout Ross MacLean. “He’s a tremendous playmaker but he is also a very effective shooter and he could impress and surprise a few people with his ability to be a trigger man instead of the playmaker. He’s a great weapon for a coach in an event like this as he really can fit almost anywhere.
“Ekblad’s competitiveness is something that really stands out,†says MacLean. “He is supremely confident and has shown that he likes to identify the top talent he’s up against and make their lives hell for as long as he can. He’s a very well-rounded defender who reminds me a lot of a Rob Blake-type defender and he can contribute in a variety of ways on either side of the puck and in all three zones.â€
“Draisaitl is an incredible playmaker with tremendous vision who really amplifies the skill sets of those around him,†says MacLean. “His vision with the puck is world class. He plays a style very similar to (Anaheim Ducks centre) Ryan Getzlaf and seems to find options that are not obvious even from watching above. He has good size, can skate the puck up ice and when he’s on, he’s near impossible to contain. If he could produce consistently, we would be talking about him at first overall. He has one of the highest ceilings of any draft elgible player this year.â€

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I get the comparison. They're both 200 ft centers. They do play a similar style.

But, I think that Reinhart is just more gifted offensively than Monahan. Especially in the "hockey IQ/vision" side of things.
I agree, Reinhart has the vision, he will probably be someone that makes his line mates better.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Mike Ramsey's kid, Jack, is also eligible for this draft. Currently playing for the Penticton Vees in the BCHL and is committed to the University of Minnesota. Big frame, good hockey genetics, putting up decent numbers and will be attending one of the best programs in the USA.

Would be good with a late second or an early third I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad