2014 Draft Thread – Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
People are letting the mantra of "this isn't as good a draft" get in their heads WAY too much and are being completely unfair in their judgement of guys like Reinhart and Ekblad. They're both terrific prospects who would be high picks in any draft year. It's unfortunate for them that they'll forever be sandwiched inbetween "the next Crosby" Nathan MacKinnon and "also the next Crosby" Connor McDavid, and that's largely what makes people get down on these guys... just because he doesn't project to be a superstar like McDavid doesn't make Reinhart a 2C. They'd both be huge improvements to what Buffalo has and the Sabres would be incredibly lucky to get either.

If by chance the Sabres don't finish with pick 1 or 2 in 2014 draft.....who would be your choices for picks 3-5 in 1st round for the Sabres. Draisaitl will probably be the clear cut favorite at pick 3, but after that, is there a consensus pick?

I've been on his bandwagon for a while now, but I really love Dal Colle's game. My 3-5 would be DC, Draisaitl and Nylander.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Mike Ramsey's kid, Jack, is also eligible for this draft. Currently playing for the Penticton Vees in the BCHL and is committed to the University of Minnesota. Big frame, good hockey genetics, putting up decent numbers and will be attending one of the best programs in the USA.

Would be good with a late second or an early third I think.

With Lafontaine in charge I wonder if he will make an effort to draft him.

ZeroPT*

I expect this to be very similar to the 2011 draft. Someone like Huberdeau will shoot up the rankings, and Ekblad might slip because he's a D-man. When it's all said and done I think Ehlers will rise meteorically in the 2nd half.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
I expect this to be very similar to the 2011 draft. Someone like Huberdeau will shoot up the rankings, and Ekblad might slip because he's a D-man. When it's all said and done I think Ehlers will rise meteorically in the 2nd half.

Just watched Ekblad play for 1st time in WJC and he's the real deal. Reinhart was also good.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
IMO Reinhart has been the best Canadian forward so far at the tournament. We NEED to start losing games to make sure we get him (or increase our chances). His hockey sense is incredible and I love his all around game.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
IMO Reinhart has been the best Canadian forward so far at the tournament. We NEED to start losing games to make sure we get him (or increase our chances). His hockey sense is incredible and I love his all around game.

Yeah, but then when McDavid was benched for penalties his line did nothing. So is it him or McDavid?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
This. McDavid was playing well.

It was the worst game he played in the tournament, he really didn't create much at all and really fought the puck. Anyway my post is not about McDavid, it's about the poster who is searching for something that has no merit "Reinhart disappeared when McDavid was benched".

Watching the game it was clear the Reinhart was the straw that stirs the drink offensively.

Last edited:

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Wow, if people can't see Reinhart's ability, I really wonder what they are looking at. Kid has been incredible for Canada thus far. His hockey IQ is off the charts and he plays a complete 200 foot game on top of being an offensive catalyst, faceoff beast and natural leader.

I pray the Sabres get the chance to draft this kid, he is exactly who this team needs.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah, but then when McDavid was benched for penalties his line did nothing. So is it him or McDavid?

I have no idea what you are watching. He made about 10 great plays today, most of which had nothing to do with McDavid. He was the best player on his line easily today and played well in the 3rd without McDavid (especially defensively in a tight game).

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Reinhart was playing well with and off other teammates. Your narrative that Reinhart's success is entirely dependent on McDavid is both transparent and inaccurate.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Watched the whole game. Said positive things about Reinhart as I watched. McDavid gets benched and Reinhart went away.

Just facts. After the set up on the PP about 30 seconds into the 3rd he was no where to be found. It was one of those games i was waiting for the star to take over. I think he had one decent shift in the 3rd, dont even remember if it created a shot.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Watched the whole game. Said positive things about Reinhart as I watched. McDavid gets benched and Reinhart went away.

Just facts. After the set up on the PP about 30 seconds into the 3rd he was no where to be found. It was one of those games i was waiting for the star to take over. I think he had one decent shift in the 3rd, dont even remember if it created a shot.

I think I disagree about your entire post, but the worst part to me is about "waiting for the star to take over". You are expecting Reinhart, one of 3 undrafted players on the team to take over rather than say Drouin or Laughton.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I think I disagree about your entire post, but the worst part to me is about "waiting for the star to take over". You are expecting Reinhart, one of 3 undrafted players on the team to take over rather than say Drouin or Laughton.

Is this one of those if you dont have anything nice to say dont say it?

I mean Im just saying it like I saw it. I watched a #1 player for most of the game, but when McDavid was benched I didnt see him do much.

That is all. I'm not making any assumptions. I was just wondering if McDavid being on the ice opened up things for him. I never said dont draft him or he is not worth #1.

Reinhart is only a few months younger than Drouin, going to be a #1 or #2 pick. I think we should expect him to shine, which he did for 2 periods and a PP into the 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad