2014 Draft Thread – Part Four

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
GMs want lottery for top 3-5 spots. Per Friedman.

That's flat out stupid, imagine going through this year and picking 6th.

Yeah, it's bogus. The worst teams should get the highest picks. I could understand wanting to limit the # of times over a certain amount of years that a team picks top 3-5, but there's no reason the worst team in a given year shouldn't be getting the best talent. They're at the bottom because they need it. Honestly, can't see the NHL being really into that. If the league wants parity, that's certainly NOT the way to get it. And some of the league's smaller/more fragile markets would absolutely fold and fail if the NHL moved to a draft system that kept them in the basement by taking those high picks away.

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
GMs want lottery for top 3-5 spots. Per Friedman.

That's flat out stupid, imagine going through this year and picking 6th.

I watched HNIC "Hot Stove" and I thought they said top 3 spots like the NBA.

They also are supposedly discussing making the odds based on a 5 year rolling average of points instead of just the current season.

I don't get that last one: Won't that just make teams tank worse? They won't want to just miss the playoffs, but miss them in epic fashion.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
There's no way we don't finish bottom 5 next year with this lineup. Not even worried. Great chance we get a shot at Barzal, McDavid, Eichel.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Draisaitl and Prince Albert are 40 minutes from missing the playoffs. They trail 2-0 at Saskatoon, who seemingly hasn't won a game in months. This would be worse than the Bills losing to the Steelers' third stringers. A lot of time left, though, and Saskatoon is plenty terribad enough to still lose this one by multiple goals.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Draisaitl and Prince Albert are 40 minutes from missing the playoffs. They trail 2-0 at Saskatoon, who seemingly hasn't won a game in months. This would be worse than the Bills losing to the Steelers' third stringers. A lot of time left, though, and Saskatoon is plenty terribad enough to still lose this one by multiple goals.

How does a team with one of the best centers in the league, and one of the best defensemen in the league miss the playoffs in a league where nearly everyone gets in?

NVM didn't realize they had 12 teams in their conference.

On another note, I hope Tim Murray has seen him enough times to feel comfortable in projecting him, he may not get another opportunity.

ZeroPT*

Bummer they didn't make it. I was really curious as to how LD would play on the big stage.. as of yet all we have to work with is the WJC and that was.. well...

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Kind of funny, but i'd compare Reinhart to Toews.

What I saw of Reinhart in WJC reminded me so much of Patrice Bergeron. No, he's not big on star power, but his attention to detail is second to none; he rarely does anything to hurt the team, he usually does a multitude of things to help you win, and always makes his teammates better.

I have not viewed Bennett but the scouting sounds more like a Claude Giroux.

Preferably Buffalo would have both, like the way Colorado has Stastny and Duchene, one slick cerebral type, and one dynamic talent

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Bummer they didn't make it. I was really curious as to how LD would play on the big stage.. as of yet all we have to work with is the WJC and that was.. well...

They can still get in with Red Deer loss tm I believe.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Prince Albert rallies to win, 6-4. With Edmonton's win over Red Deer, PA sits in 8th. Red Deer needs to beat Edmonton on the road to make the playoffs. Edmonton won't be taking it easy, either, as a win clinches the top spot in the conference for them. One thing we do know: if PA makes it, they'll be facing Edmonton in the first round. That's a tough test for Draisaitl.

ZeroPT*

Prince Albert rallies to win, 6-4. With Edmonton's win over Red Deer, PA sits in 8th. Red Deer needs to beat Edmonton on the road to make the playoffs. Edmonton won't be taking it easy, either, as a win clinches the top spot in the conference for them. One thing we do know: if PA makes it, they'll be facing Edmonton in the first round. That's a tough test for Draisaitl.

They can still get in with Red Deer loss tm I believe.
Oh I thought this was the last day of the season. I'd definitely be interested in how well he performs against a powerhouse team in the playoffs

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Did Friedman address any of this: When are they going to revisit the discussion and when could this potentially change? Would it be only non-playoff teams or all teams competing for the top 5 spots? Would the worst teams still have the best chances at each? Either way, it's terrible timing for the Sabres.

Terrible timing my tookus. It's Because Buffalo.

Let's say we pick at three and the two Sams are gone; do you go with Ekblad or Draisaitl?

I go with trading the right to draft Ekblad for a 2014 mid 1st, 2015 1st and 2015 2nd.

Unless Murray is convinces that LD's problems are not related to LD.

Last edited:

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I watched HNIC "Hot Stove" and I thought they said top 3 spots like the NBA.

They also are supposedly discussing making the odds based on a 5 year rolling average of points instead of just the current season.

I don't get that last one: Won't that just make teams tank worse? They won't want to just miss the playoffs, but miss them in epic fashion.

"Great". :cry:

Though, happy we have the Islanders' pick... :handclap:

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Sam Reinhart
'13: 33gp. 16-34-50 (1.52ppg) +4 2pim.
'14: 27gp. 19-36-55 (2.01ppg) +20 9pim.
+0.49ppg difference

Sam Bennett
'13: 35gp. 20-33-53 (1.51ppg) +18 67pim.
'14: 21gp. 16-22-38 (1.81ppg) +16 51pim.
+0.30ppg difference

Leon Draisaitl
'13: 33gp. 18-33-51 (1.55ppg) +1 18pim.
'14: 31gp. 20-34-54 (1.74ppg) +6 6pim.
+0.19ppg difference

Aaron Ekblad
'13: 29gp. 10-15-25 (0.86ppg) +1 45pim.
'14: 29gp. 13-15-28 (0.97ppg) +6 46pim.
+0.11ppg difference

Last edited:

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Can't say I disagree with that statement.

I don't disagree with that statement either and I still have a hard time taking Ekblad top 3. Our organizational depth aside, you typically find the best forwards at the top of the draft. This is our first opportunity to grab a dynamic offensive talent since Vanek and we would be stupid to pass it up. For me, the gap between Ekblad and the next forward would have to be very significant for me to pick him over a forward.

When you add in the potential for our top 6 dmen to be talented and deep without Ekblad, I would likely take DalColle, Draisaitl and Ehlers all over him as well.

I went and looked back at drafts since 2006. I don't think there is one draft where you would rather have the top Dman over the top forward taken. 2008 is the only season I can see where most of the top 10 players from that draft are Dmen. 2012 has that potential as well.

In other words, taking Ekblad and trying to trade him or another defensive prospect for a young top 3 forward is not going to happen. You take as many potential top 3 forwards now when you have the chance.

ZeroPT*

I don't disagree with that statement either and I still have a hard time taking Ekblad top 3. Our organizational depth aside, you typically find the best forwards at the top of the draft. This is our first opportunity to grab a dynamic offensive talent since Vanek and we would be stupid to pass it up. For me, the gap between Ekblad and the next forward would have to be very significant for me to pick him over a forward.

When you add in the potential for our top 6 dmen to be talented and deep without Ekblad, I would likely take DalColle, Draisaitl and Ehlers all over him as well.

I went and looked back at drafts since 2006. I don't think there is one draft where you would rather have the top Dman over the top forward taken. 2008 is the only season I can see where most of the top 10 players from that draft are Dmen. 2012 has that potential as well.

In other words, taking Ekblad and trying to trade him or another defensive prospect for a young top 3 forward is not going to happen. You take as many potential top 3 forwards now when you have the chance.
Drafting defensman in the top 5 is a recipe for disaster. the absolute earliest I'd grab a D would be #4, even then it's iffy. Unless a guy like Jones fell to 4-5 that is.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Red Deer up 4-0 on Edmonton. Looks like no Draisaitl in the postseason. That team must be pretty poorly constructed to have a top-5 pick and a lottery pick defenseman, and miss the playoffs.

Now watch us hire Clouston to coach Rochester next year. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad