WC: 2014 Division IB • Apr. 20-26 • General Discussion (Mod warning post 453)

IceBlacks

Dec 17, 2013
Not sure if this is the right place to ask it, but has any team won two divisions? Like, advanced from IB to IA to first div, or something?

Slovakia won Pool C in 1994 and Pool B in 1995.

Kazakhstan won Pool C in 1996, became 2nd in 1997 Pool B and gained promotion to 1998 World Championships from additional qualification tournament.

Ukraine won Pool C in 1997 and Pool B in 1998 among with Slovenia. Both teams played in qualification tournament for 1999 World Championships and Ukraina won its group.

I checked the tournaments from 1990 and these were the only teams which promoted from 3rd level to World Championships in consecutive years.

Latvia won Pool C in 1993 and Pool B in 1996.

Israel won Pool D in 2000 and Division II in 2005.

Last edited:

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
Croatia's preliminary roster

GK
Mate Tomljenovic – HKM Zvolen
Tihomir Filipec -KHL Medvešcak
Andrej Vasiljevic – Slough Jets
D
Alan Letang – KHL Medvešcak
Geoff Waugh – KHL Medvešcak
Ivan Šijan - KHL Medvešcak
Nikola Senzel - KHL Medvešcak
Marko Tadic - KHL Mladost
Marko Ljubic - KHL Mladost
Igor Jacmenjak - KHL Zagreb
Kenneth MacAulay – HDD Olimpija
Andy Sertich – Sapa Fehervar AV 19
Borna Šilovic – HC 05 Banska Bystrica
Luka Markovic – EC Peiting
F
Dario Kostovic – KHL Medvešcak
Marko Šakic – KHL Medvešcak
Luka Mikulic - KHL Medvešcak
Ivan Brencun - KHL Medvešcak
Josip Jazbec – KHL Medvešcak
Andro Crncic – KHL Medvešcak
Janko Kucera - KHL Mladost
Tadija Miric - KHL Mladost
Mario Novak - KHL Mladost
Mislav Blagus - KHL Zagreb
Lovro Šišeta - KHL Zagreb
Ivan Jankovic – KHL Zagreb
Borna Rendulic - HPK
Joel Prpic
Michael Novak – VEU Feldkirch
Dominik Kanaet - Herlev
Luka Vukoja – HC 05 Banska Bystrica

Medo

Oct 26, 2011
D is STRONG.

Kostović - Rendulić - Kanaet potentian 1st line might be strongest we've ever had.

I'm not too sure about the goalies.

Why no Martinović? With Martinović in the lineup this would probably be the strongest D in this division.

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
http://www.vecernji.hr/hokej/hrvatska-na-cekanju-zbog-poziva-njemacke-928785

I think IIHF really hate us. Ouzas can´t play, because he played pre-season-games with Linz. same with Naglić. We made the trades exactly after 2 full years, but they don´t accept due to some meaningless pre-season-games.

Sertic will maybe play the first 3 games, then leave for a family-wedding.

Martinovic got called up from Germany, so he have to decide: Top-Division with Germany or Division 1A with Croatia. So he can´t be on our preliminary roster, beacuse he is on germany´s preliminary roster.

Joel Prpic will maybe take holydays from firefighters to play for us. that show how critical the situation is. last year I though we are battle for top 3 positions. Today I hope we don´t get relegated.

Last edited:

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
i dont get why its not 2 full season you have o play in a country instead of 24 months. is kinda rediculous really

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
i dont get why its not 2 full season you have o play in a country instead of 24 months. is kinda rediculous really

Actually, THE ridiculous thing here is that players like that get to play for countries like Croatia at all. Sorry guys but I'm really happy things turned out this way for you.

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
Actually, THE ridiculous thing here is that players like that get to play for countries like Croatia at all. Sorry guys but I'm really happy things turned out this way for you.

aha, and when russia do it in every sport(except football and hockey) its ok?
1889024_large.jpg

russia pay this foreigners to play for russia. croatia is spending 0,00€ on this. the players want to play for croatia, because they have croatian ancestors or they feel very familiar in zagreb.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
1889024_large.jpg

russia pay this foreigners to play for russia. croatia is spending 0,00€ on this. the players want to play for croatia, because they have croatian ancestors or they feel very familiar in zagreb.

I don't think it's ok, no.

Players should play for the countries who trained them, if they're not good enough, then tough

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

No, it's not ok. Frankly, the fact that country like Russia does it is flat out sad. On the other hand, the fact that Russia does it doesn't surprise me at all. But again, that doesn't make it right.

Really? Ouzas, MacAuley, Waugh.. Those guys have Croatian ancestors? :laugh:

I can understand why someone like Dekanich or Prpic want to play for Croatia much like why Bellissimo or Scandella want to play for Italy. I can understand Radunske playing for Korea or Keller for Japan - they have been playing in those countries for ages, they have shown real commitment to them and to their culture. And they had to show it to be eligible, Koreans added Radunske to their roster after 5 years in their league, Japan Keller after 6. It was not just about IIHF rules and getting them to play for you as fast as possible. This, I can understand.

I can also somewhat tolerate guys like Platt or Dallman. Sure, they don't even like their new countries and do that for selfish reasons but hey, it's just one guy and he's not even the best player on the team. Sure they are really good but they are not above the level of hockey in that country.

Meanwhile Croats are adding Canadians as fast as possible just to get their "NT" better, getting the players that are waaaaay above the level of hockey in Croatia. Rendulic is the first real Croatian hockey player, am I wrong? Before that, you had absolutely no home grown talent whatsoever and yet you sit pretty in the same division as Poland - a country with real talent, real hockey league and real hockey traditions - right now. Furthermore, you are a decent goalie away (read: until Ouzas is finally eligible) from contending for promotion.

To me, that's an absolute farce and a disgrace for international hockey.

P.S. After browsing through, looks like even with all that you're probably more than a goalie away from contention. Good for the world.

Last edited:

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
Actually if your talking of real hockey players you are also forgetting Dominik Kanaet. He may not be in league with Borna but is still a very solid talent. Plus there are some pretty good ones comeing. Fran Gjoni to name one, Marko Sakic could be very good aswell. And besides its 6 foreign players without Martinovic (he might still get into roster if he doesnt get invited to the german roster). of which :
Letang has played in Medvescak as a C since the beginning of EBEL so he fits your OK criteria, Kenny MCAuley 4 years here, so he is OK aswell, Sertich aint comeing, but he is of Croatian descent so he is ok, Martinovic speaks fluent croatian an is ofc croatian descent, Kostovic was born in Split, and Naglich is of Crotian descent. ANd Prpic bought his plane ticket with his money last year to be in the OT, and is of Croatin descent. Oh next year if Perkovich stays he will also be in the roster and he is very much of croatian descent.
So basically only one oyu can be against by your criteria is Waugh and Ouzas. Or you have double standards :)
And i very much doubt we will get relegated. We wount advance either.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I can understand Radunske playing for Korea or Keller for Japan - they have been playing in those countries for ages, they have shown real commitment to them and to their culture. And they had to show it to be eligible, Koreans added Radunske to their roster after 5 years in their league, Japan Keller after 6. It was not just about IIHF rules and getting them to play for you as fast as possible. This, I can understand

Actually, it probably was. Radunske and Keller weren't citizens of those countries before they went to play there, you have to be a citizen to represent a team in IIHF competition, for most countries the residency requirement for citizenship ranges between 4-6 years. So they played pretty much right after they acquired citizenship and became eligible.

croAVSfan*

I don't know where is the problem with foreginers in croatian team. They fullifield criteria for playing in Croatian NT and everything is legal. I really do hope for more foreginers in upcoming years. Thank God with KHL in town choice is very deep.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006

it's ridiculous that players have the freedom to play for who they actually want to play for instead of having national identity forced on them? what are you, a communist?

if anything, the rules are too strict. if I identify as Irish, it shouldn't matter if I've actually played hockey on Irish soil or not. or even have citizenship as long as I have ethnic heritage.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
it's ridiculous that players have the freedom to play for who they actually want to play for instead of having national identity forced on them? what are you, a communist?

if anything, the rules are too strict. if I identify as Irish, it shouldn't matter if I've actually played hockey on Irish soil or not. or even have citizenship as long as I have ethnic heritage.

Well, while I agree with your general point, many Americans and Canadians could conceivably qualify to play for multiple countries in your scenario.

I'm as American as they come, but I could qualify as Lithuanian and Swedish quite easily (100% ethnicity back 2 generations), as well as English and German (100% ethnicity back 3 generations). Only using my heritage as an example, not that the Swedes or the Germans would need the help from this side of the Atlantic, but the Brits and Lithuanians could use help.

I really don't know if it would be such a great idea for international hockey if Canadians and Americans who aren't quite good enough for the NHL or AHL, but better than 95% of the players in the Division I and II nations, start playing for their ethnic heritage countries.

croAVSfan*

He sounds to me more like a racist.

And I agree that rules are too strict, for example Kostovic and Zanoski both born in Croatia and they still needed to play two years for Medvescak to get their NT "rights".

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
The world championships are meant to be indicative of the level of hockey played in that country

A born and raised Canadian who played hockey there all his life and just happens to have Croatian heritage playing for them is not indicative of the level of hockey in Croatia.

All using dual nationals does is hurt the growth of hockey in these countries. Why should Croatia bother growing the game reaching out to get more people involved or developing junior players, when they can just fill their national team with Canadians and Americans who came over to play for Medvescak?

I watched the Rugby League World Cup which has much less restrictive rules than IIHF and it was a joke. USA has a non-existent rugby league program but they were able to reach the 1/4 finals with a team full of players who had lived and played all their rugby in Australia who weren't good enough to play for Australia and happened to have an American great grandparent.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Actually, it probably was. Radunske and Keller weren't citizens of those countries before they went to play there, you have to be a citizen to represent a team in IIHF competition, for most countries the residency requirement for citizenship ranges between 4-6 years. So they played pretty much right after they acquired citizenship and became eligible.

Well, still, it was about getting a citizenship and not just IIHF rules. These countries didn't just give out citizenship because some fella could help their hockey team.

I don't know where is the problem with foreginers in croatian team. They fullifield criteria for playing in Croatian NT and everything is legal. I really do hope for more foreginers in upcoming years. Thank God with KHL in town choice is very deep.

I never said it was illegal. Even you consider those players foreigners. So what is exactly the point of having a NATIONAL TEAM with foreigners on it? The real problem, however, isn't even that. The problem is that bunch of Canadians playing for poor hockey countries
can keep a real hockey countries down even though they don't contribute anything to the sport and don't reflect what the state of hockey there is. If the goal of the national team's tournament becomes to convince as many Canadians as possible to play for that team 1) how it is a national team's tournament? and 2) how is it hockey tournament if diplomacy or I don't know how to call this is as big of a part? It's not like Poland of The Netherlands couldn't play it this way but how would it benefit anyone?

That's just comical. What I am saying is basically the opposite of communist doctrine and whole political left meanwhile what you're saying is extremely left-ish so actually you are one step away from being (or at least thinking like) textbook communist and I don't even think that's such a bad thing.

I guess I just blew your mind, didn't I?

However, you talk about heritage and national identity here, that's fine. But tell me, how, for example, Kevin Dallman playing for Kazakhstan has anything to do with it? He's not Kazakh, he has no heritage there whatsoever, he doesn't live or play there, he doesn't care for the country enough to play in "unimportant matches" like World Championship (and I have strong feeling he got paid for the ones he actually played in at the OGQ) and his wife just flat out hates it. How about those cases?

I really don't know if it would be such a great idea for international hockey if Canadians and Americans who aren't quite good enough for the NHL or AHL, but better than 95% of the players in the Division I and II nations, start playing for their ethnic heritage countries.

That's almost exactly my point except that I'm ok with people with ethnic heritage playing for them. However, whole lot of those players have nothing to do with that country whatsoever.

He sounds to me more like a racist.

And I agree that rules are too strict, for example Kostovic and Zanoski both born in Croatia and they still needed to play two years for Medvescak to get their NT "rights".

Doesn't a whole concept of national team sound racist for you, then? :laugh: However, I must say, this has nothing to do with race, racism of even nationalism of any kind. It's simply about fairness and general principle of the thing. How is it fair for other legit hockey nations in Div. IB when some country with 2 (3?) hockey rinks and a bunch of Canadians (not Canadians with Croatian heritage or something, just simple Geoffs Waughs of the world) would get a promotion to Div. IA basically just because they have an EBEL (KHL now) team and loose nationality laws unlike them?

For all you "he's a communist racist nazi whatever" guys, if you think this is about national identity or something just give your head a shake. It's about hockey. And I don't think IIHF has to do something here. In this case, there really can't be any ideal solution. Some guys legitimately deserve the right to play for other countries than the ones they are forced to play for. However others (both players and countries) just take an advantage of this system for a personal gain of some kind. At least that's how I feel.

Last edited:

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
How is it fair for other legit hockey nations in Div. IB when some country with 2 (3?) hockey rinks and a bunch of Canadians (not Canadians with Croatian heritage or something, just simple Geoffs Waughs of the world) would get a promotion to Div. IA basically just because they have an EBEL (KHL now) team and loose nationality laws unlike them?

Again than you are angry about 1 player right? Because either you didnt read my post explaining the background and loyalty (the immersion factor in the culture and all you said) of said players, or you plain ol disregarded it because it didnt fit your rage postings. Let me remind you that those Canadians without heritage like Letang that did stay since the beginning didnt stay for the paycheck (or only for it) cause Medvescak always had the lowest budget since EBEL from all clubs.
Poor ol Waugh to have u all up in knots lol
and its 5 ice rinks, of which 2 are arenas (roofed), 2 are open air and one has a roof but 1 open side. On a side note thankfully 1 new arena is to be built and possibly 1 roofed this year. There is pressure for 1 more to be roofed but its not known when.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Again than you are angry about 1 player right? Because either you didnt read my post explaining the background and loyalty (the immersion factor in the culture and all you said) of said players, or you plain ol disregarded it because it didnt fit your rage postings. Let me remind you that those Canadians without heritage like Letang that did stay since the beginning didnt stay for the paycheck (or only for it) cause Medvescak always had the lowest budget since EBEL from all clubs.
Poor ol Waugh to have u all up in knots lol
and its 5 ice rinks, of which 2 are arenas (roofed), 2 are open air and one has a roof but 1 open side. On a side note thankfully 1 new arena is to be built and possibly 1 roofed this year. There is pressure for 1 more to be roofed but its not known when.

Well, I guess it's two players to be exact (Ouzas and Wough), others like MacAuley doesn't help either but most importantly it's just about the way Croatian hockey federation is handling the team and the precedent which has been set. You had a EBEL team - got few guys here and there, managed to qualify for the D1B. You have a KHL team now, bigger budget, better players.. Who's to say that number won't be close to 10 in 5 years and you won't be in the D1A, at least?

The way I see it your federation is just out to get best possible players no matter what. If they had a choice they would substitute a Croat for a better Canadian without a blink of an eye. No other nation does that and it doesn't seem fair to me.

It's not that it ties me up in knots, maybe I came out a bit hysterical with this but it's just.. not cool.

Last edited:

croAVSfan*

I think it's cheating (albeit within the rules)

Simple as that

I don't care what heritage the player has, I think you should only be allowed to play for a country if you were developed there.

Ok and what about cases if some player goes to another country in early age ? For example Australian forward, Nathan Walker, was 13 when he left Sydney for Ostrava (Vitkovice) did he leave too early to be "allowed" to play for Australia ?:laugh::help:

Same goes for croatian defenders Silovic and Markovic, both left in early age...

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Ok and what about cases if some player goes to another country in early age ? For example Australian forward, Nathan Walker, was 13 when he left Sydney for Ostrava (Vitkovice) did he leave too early to be "allowed" to play for Australia ?:laugh::help:

Same goes for croatian defenders Silovic and Markovic, both left in early age...

Then they are free to choose, as is the case now

What I don't agree with is fully developed adults changing their country

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
That's just comical. What I am saying is basically the opposite of communist doctrine and whole political left meanwhile what you're saying is extremely left-ish so actually you are one step away from being (or at least thinking like) textbook communist and I don't even think that's such a bad thing.

I guess I just blew your mind, didn't I?

Yeah, the Soviets were totally cool with people having their own national identities instead of considering themselves Soviets... it's not like that's the whole reason the USSR broke up or anything.

However, you talk about heritage and national identity here, that's fine. But tell me, how, for example, Kevin Dallman playing for Kazakhstan has anything to do with it? He's not Kazakh, he has no heritage there whatsoever, he doesn't live or play there, he doesn't care for the country enough to play in "unimportant matches" like World Championship (and I have strong feeling he got paid for the ones he actually played in at the OGQ) and his wife just flat out hates it. How about those cases?

Players get compensated for playing for national teams all the time. I don't see a problem with it. At the end of the day, he wanted to play for Kazakhstan and he went through the legal route to do so. Who are any of us to judge his personal life decisions of what hockey teams he wants to play for?

This idea that international competition should be some kind of measuring stick for the level of the game in the participating countries is flawed and idealistic. It is a hockey tournament with teams based on national identity. If you are trying to get more out of it than that, it is your own problem.

Most sports have much more relaxed rules than the IIHF, and as such their international competitions are far more popular than international hockey is because they're more competitive and thus, more entertaining.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
This idea that international competition should be some kind of measuring stick for the level of the game in the participating countries is flawed and idealistic. It is a hockey tournament with teams based on national identity. If you are trying to get more out of it than that, it is your own problem.

Most sports have much more relaxed rules than the IIHF, and as such their international competitions are far more popular than international hockey is because they're more competitive and thus, more entertaining.

No it isn't, in fact it is part of the IIHF's mission statement that International play should accurately reflect the standard of hockey in each country :laugh:

Or maybe those sports are more popular than international hockey because they're more popular in general :rolleyes: What is more popular than hockey internationally? Football, that's played worldwide, so it is extremely competitive. Rugby Union? Not very competitive outside the top 8. Cricket and Rugby league? Even less competitive. Basketball? USA wins all the time. After football, hockey is probably the most competitive team sport at international level

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, the Soviets were totally cool with people having their own national identities instead of considering themselves Soviets... it's not like that's the whole reason the USSR broke up or anything.

Players get compensated for playing for national teams all the time. I don't see a problem with it. At the end of the day, he wanted to play for Kazakhstan and he went through the legal route to do so. Who are any of us to judge his personal life decisions of what hockey teams he wants to play for?

USSR and communism really don't have very much in common, in this case. In many other cases too.

We are people with personal opinions and moral principles and that gives us the right to judge anyone in our own mind. And that way, legal isn't always right.

And yet, you say "It is a hockey tournament with teams based on national identity.". What defines the national identity for you? How the reasons on which player bases his decision for a personal gain equal national identity? If you say it's based on national identity it should be about national identity, shouldn't it?

What other sports exactly are you talking about?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad