Prospect Info: 2014 Development Camp

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Has anybody made it out to any of this? Wouldn't mind seeing some updates on how our top prospects look

Really hard to tell much watching these guys goes through the drills.

That said the group of Lazar, McCormick, Stone, Puempel looked very good in the puck control/handling and shooting drills.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
With some of the drills they are doing this yr there is nothing to tell from them. They played soccer with their hands one day which is a little weird since you can`t hand pass the puck in hockey. Another drill they were just skating around the rink with an elastic strap tied to their skates & pants, possibly to help strech the hamstring but I`m not really sure. None of the drills in the rink I was in did they use their sticks.

I didn`t see any skating & shooting drills on one of the ice rinks but on the other they were doing more shooting & skating which I missed most of. I`m going tonight to the scrimmage game & hope to be able to see more.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
There isn't a stream for the camp on the Sens site or anything is there?

Lonnie Loach

Feb 2, 2004
New York, NY
quick thoughts from the scrimmage - stone, hogberg, lindberg and dunn stood out. driedger did not look good. pumpel was invisible.

Edit: also thought Harpur looked intriguing.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Tobias lindberg seems to keep getting better and better dzingel paul lindberg the under the radar guys to watch for shizzy.

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
Funny that Stone is there but Pageau isn't. Gotta think he's closer to sticking full time and has attended an extra devo camp under his belt

I heard somewhere that Stone was working out in Ottawa this summer and requested to attend or something.

Jan 24, 2006
Ottawa
Lindberg to me was the most impressive.

Guptil and Paul were awesome. Stone didn't belong with those players.

This. Lindberg was awesome. For an 18 year old he looks like a great pick. Might turn out to be a great player. He seemed to always have the puck. And his skating is definitely above average. Great skater.

Stone looked like a man amongst boys. Lazar looks like Lazar.

FYI the rink at the KRC is to small. Some players may take advantage of a bigger ice surface.

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
Saw the scrimmage tonight, here are my impressions....

Hogberg: really like this kid. He's huge, positions himself well, moves well, is economical in his movements, technically sound. I think he's going to be an NHL goalie. Really really like him.

Claesson: liked him again. Worked well with Ceci. Looks steady back there, always willing to initiate contact. Going to be a solid pro.

Ceci: clearly the best defenceman there. Skated well, man's body, eagerly jumped in to make himself dangerous offensively.

Tansey: undrafted kid, good size, I liked him. Moved the puck well, made some nice passes, moved the puck well

Dzingel: been saying this for four years now. Every time i see this kid, I like him. Every time. Skates well, little waterbug, all over the puck, always sticking his nose in, making nice plays. Might not be quite skilled enough to overcome his size, but I've always liked him. Played well again tonight.

Guptill: definitely intriguing. Nice hand skills. Very high panic point with the puck. Made a really nice drag move on a rush where he showed his skill. Rangy. If he figures it out he might have a real shot.

Lazar: love him. Skating looks even better, buzzed around everywhere, shot the puck hard. Might be ready.

Lindberg: impressive skating. Still very young, but good size and impressive skater. Very fast.

Paul: good size, seems like a responsible player, liked him.

Puempel: I'm very sorry to say, this kid might be moving into "bust" territory. He's 21 years old now, and on this stage as a former first rounder, he should be able to stand out and he just didn't. Barely noticed him, and believe me, I was looking for him. Just doesn't seem to really be all that involved, and nothing really stands out, and if a 21 year old former first rounder isn't standing out among kids 2-3 years younger and some of them just walk-ons, that's a problem.

Stone: wouldn't go so far as to say he "dominated", but he definitely was one of the best forwards on the ice and was dangerous offensively. Scored on a nice turnaround shot. Size stands out. His skating is just so, so much better than it was in his first one of these. Still not a burner, but he skates well enough and with his size, hands, and nose for the net, he was a big factor.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
You also have to remember its only one game, I'd take a full year of Puempel's stats and performance in the AHL over one pick up game.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
2014 Senators Development Camp Scrimmage: Black Team 4 - White Team 1

Greats news out of the Sens Development Camp :handclap:, there are only 4 players under 6' & Kral the Czech goalie is one of them. The others are Dunn, McCormick (who looks solid) & Prince who didn't play he is injured, I believe.

They started out with set lines but the coahces did mix it up a bit especially Richardson late in the 2nd period when White team was losing he double shifted a few guys like Paul & Lazar. He may have been playing to the audience because Lazar got a loud reception but the home town boy Ceci & then Stone got the loudest, I thought.

Goalies:
I said it last yr & I'll say it this yr that Hogberg IMO is a Lehner clone. Not only is he as big & he is huge he also seems to play like Lehner & got a shut out in one period of work. He was relieved by Tomas Kral (good name)an undrafted camp invite who allowed one goal in the 2nd period.

Dreidger had a tough night allowing three goals in the 1st period but still made a few good saves. He was relieved by Alex Vazzano in the 2nd period who didn't allow a goal until Team Black scored into the empty net.

Defence:
Wikstrand seems to be a lighter version of Claesson, good skater, excellent passer, good stick on defence, isn't that physical but solid all around it seems, he needs to fill out a little more. Ceci was probably the best defenceman on the ice, followed by Claesson & Rutkoski scored a goal. Englund looks to be a defensive defenceman. IMO the slighty older Harpur who is also a defensive defenceman looks further along in his development than Englund but Englund seems to be a good skater & passer, not much offence from him tonight. Of all the other defencemen I thought Kelly Summers stood out the most with his speed & initiating some contact.

Forwards:
IMO Stone was the best forward on the ice & he proved it when he received a nifty threw the legs pass from Thompson on the right side of the net in traffic. He then flipped the puck to himself into the slot with two guys on him, did a 360 & shot the puck into the top corner, glove side. Stone also made a nice pass through a maze of players hitting Thompson streaking down the left side for a nice shot on net.

I don't know what to say about Lazar, he was on the ice a lot, I noticed him, he made some nice plays but didn't do anything outstanding or noticeable. He's solid on his skates, he's an excellent skater, heads up, smart, good two way player & has a similar build to Alfredsson. Yea, he reminds me of Alfie in size, width & skating. I also think that Team Black was quite aware of him & kept an eye on him every time he touched the puck. I'm guessing he is returned to junior only because he can't go to Bingo otherwise he is good enough right now to play in the AHL this yr.

Puempel didn't do very much this evening except for one good rush that I can remember. However, I was at the other end of the rink & mostly got to see Team Black on offence, Buddy Robinson made a couple of incredibly fast rushes up the ice, if this guy were to ever develop some scoring hands or finish & a mean streak he could be a hell of a hockey player. He can skate but so can Tobias Linberg who may be even faster I thought also had a good night with Shore & Dunn. Lindberg needs to fill out more but he has speed to burn.

Bingo fans are going to like Dzingel at centre, he is a 200' player who is always around the puck, he looks small out there but he is a tenacious forechecker & if he plays with a couple of offensive guys he could put up a lot of pts. He is also very responsible defensively, he reminds me of a smaller version of D Grant. Dunn scored a nice goal on a penalty shot (rather than give the guy a penalty, they got to shoot a penalty shot, more exciting for the crowd). The Dunn, Shore & Lindberg line was a good, fast line. The only other guy I noticed quite a bit was Paul who looked big & also always seemed to be around the puck a lot. Didn't really notice any of the other players, maybe someone else can comment on their play.

Last edited:

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
A few notes from my amateur eyes;

Lindberg looked like the fastest guy out there, created a lot off the rush.

Harpur is huge and is nearly impossible to get around.

Puempel and Lazar were good together, but their team wasn't as good. (Tough to impress when you're on a weaker team)

Dzingel is small but high offensive IQ. He and Stone looked like they were playing shinny at times and making a lot of slick passes.

Dunn is fast and looks like a real pain to play against. Scored a beauty penalty shot goal.

Guptill has the skill, but his effort did not impress me. (Scored a nice goal low stick side from the slot on a beauty pass from Eiserman)

Paul looked good to me, not great with the puck on his one on ones, but an bomb of a shot, and the guy is huge. Did well and stood out for being one of the younger guys.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Saw the scrimmage tonight, here are my impressions....

Hogberg: really like this kid. He's huge, positions himself well, moves well, is economical in his movements, technically sound. I think he's going to be an NHL goalie. Really really like him.

Claesson: liked him again. Worked well with Ceci. Looks steady back there, always willing to initiate contact. Going to be a solid pro.

Ceci: clearly the best defenceman there. Skated well, man's body, eagerly jumped in to make himself dangerous offensively.

Tansey: undrafted kid, good size, I liked him. Moved the puck well, made some nice passes, moved the puck well

Dzingel: been saying this for four years now. Every time i see this kid, I like him. Every time. Skates well, little waterbug, all over the puck, always sticking his nose in, making nice plays. Might not be quite skilled enough to overcome his size, but I've always liked him. Played well again tonight.

Guptill: definitely intriguing. Nice hand skills. Very high panic point with the puck. Made a really nice drag move on a rush where he showed his skill. Rangy. If he figures it out he might have a real shot.

Lazar: love him. Skating looks even better, buzzed around everywhere, shot the puck hard. Might be ready.

Lindberg: impressive skating. Still very young, but good size and impressive skater. Very fast.

Paul: good size, seems like a responsible player, liked him.

Puempel: I'm very sorry to say, this kid might be moving into "bust" territory. He's 21 years old now, and on this stage as a former first rounder, he should be able to stand out and he just didn't. Barely noticed him, and believe me, I was looking for him. Just doesn't seem to really be all that involved, and nothing really stands out, and if a 21 year old former first rounder isn't standing out among kids 2-3 years younger and some of them just walk-ons, that's a problem.

Stone: wouldn't go so far as to say he "dominated", but he definitely was one of the best forwards on the ice and was dangerous offensively. Scored on a nice turnaround shot. Size stands out. His skating is just so, so much better than it was in his first one of these. Still not a burner, but he skates well enough and with his size, hands, and nose for the net, he was a big factor.

:laugh::laugh:

Let's just throw a 30 goal rookie season out the window and judge him by an observers opinion in a development camp scrimmage.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00