2014 CBJ Training Camp Thread (9/19-10/8)

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Yeah, giving up any of those prospect + our 2015 1st AND a roster player is far too pricey IMO

Agreed, it's a huge risk. The prospects could end up being anything and the 1st could be anywhere.

Then again, Jarmo seems more willing to take risks than Howson was and so it's hard to get a read on where he is at.

Also a ton will change over the coming weeks. We will see where Wennberg, Dano, and the young defensemen fit in. We will see where the team is at with regards to injuries.

I would be afraid it would turn out like the Kessel deal.

The other teams will also change. Maybe Edmonton starts out poorly and are open to trading Eberle for less.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Agreed, it's a huge risk. The prospects could end up being anything and the 1st could be anywhere.

Then again, Jarmo seems more willing to take risks than Howson was and so it's hard to get a read on where he is at.

Also a ton will change over the coming weeks. We will see where Wennberg, Dano, and the young defensemen fit in. We will see where the team is at with regards to injuries.

I would be afraid it would turn out like the Kessel deal.

The other teams will also change. Maybe Edmonton starts out poorly and are open to trading Eberle for less.
It's one thing to ask for a 2015 1st, and it's another to ask for a blue chip prospect. But both? Just seems like too much..

Roster player+2015 1st+mediocre prospect or Roster player+2016 1st+upper end prospect would be about the most I would be "okay" with doing

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Figured I should post this here.... don't know if it has been talked about or not but might be some new news on Horton's status....

Doesn't sound good, at all.

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/wort...man-horton-may-have-pretty-significant-injury

Really tough to see. I'm a Rangers fan first and foremost, but I'm a fan of Columbus and all the young guys they have. I felt like this was the Jackets' year to really strike out and make a decent playoff run at the very least--open some more eyes. Last season ended too competitively to think otherwise. I hope the younger guys like Dano can step in and keep that momentum going, but jeez, can't catch a break.

From the outside looking in, it looks like Columbus has a large number of bottom-six players, never mind claiming Skille and Cracknell as well. I guess my question is why? Depth to some degree?

I'd be afraid to trade too much youth for a top-6 winger. The Jackets have been drafting/developing guys fairly well. I'd hope for an under-the-radar move or something of the sort instead of a buy-high trade.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I should hope so. Question is how long till it's determined "no end"?

Why not just do it anyway?

If he recovers or is in and out of the lineup, then we have to pay his salary on top of the new guys, but if he's completely out long term the insurance will pay for it (most of it, I think) and we will get 100% cap relief. I just hope he's not "in and out of the lineup". Either get better or call it a career.

I have heard interest in Evander Kane and Jordan Eberle, but I don't know if we can afford to make a move with what we'd have to give up.

It'd likely be a young roster player (Calvert/Atkinson/Anisimov/Savard/Erixon), one of Rychel/Wennberg/Dano (maybe Bjorkstrand, Milano, or Rielly) plus our 1st in 2015. That's a big chunk of the future to give up.

I can see the Jets looking for that, but the Oilers are not as interested in piling up draft picks and prospects, they want young players who can help immediately (who doesn't). I have floated Anisimov and Tyutin for Eberle before and got a good reaction from Oilers fans, both of those guys would be more valuable in Edmonton compared to here. Of course, the only way we do that sort of thing is if we are healthy (i.e. Dubi and Murray are okay).

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Insurance money? (Just a guess)

If he recovers or is in and out of the lineup, then we have to pay his salary on top of the new guys, but if he's completely out long term the insurance will pay for it (most of it, I think) and we will get 100% cap relief. I just hope he's not "in and out of the lineup". Either get better or call it a career.

I get that and thanks for the feedback. If there is cap space, why not go ahead an pursue a trade anyway. If Horton plays, great, you can afford it per the cap. If not, insurance pays his salary an you've got your "replacement" already in place.

Unless this is strictly a cash flow/internal budget issue.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I don't think this is right. You only get cap relief if you are over the cap. See capgeek for good detailed explanation.

http://capgeek.com/faq/how-does-long-term-injured-reserve-LTIR-work

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Wait, you only get cap relief if you were up against the cap at the time the player went on LTIR! Damn. That's like lowering the Jackets salary cap by $5m for the next six years!

I think we can't use it this year but if I understand the scenarios correctly, we could overspend the cap next season if he is put on LTIR again next year.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think we can't use it this year but if I understand the scenarios correctly, we could overspend the cap next season if he is put on LTIR again next year.

So we can re-put him on LTIR any year where we want to go up to the cap? That would be a huge relief.

darkbrew*

hey guys pens fan here. grabbed johansen in fantasy and wondering his eta? will he make it out for the first game of the year? or more likely a few games later

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
hey guys pens fan here. grabbed johansen in fantasy and wondering his eta? will he make it out for the first game of the year? or more likely a few games later

He's already in Columbus. Given the injuries, he should play immediately unless he's horrendously out of shape.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011

He'll play from day one so long as the team has enough time to get the immigration stuff sorted out.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Rob Mixer ‏@RobMixer 59s60 seconds ago
Today’s #CBJ lines:
Dano-Anisimov-Hartnell
Foligno-Johansen-Atkinson
Calvert-Letestu-Wennberg
Skille-Chaput-Boll

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Wow. Just wow. Granted, us as the Metro champions is certainly flattering (if extremely optimistic), but Philly as the runner-up is just completely absurd.

* * *​
I'm going to guess NONE.

And I'll go on record again as saying missing the playoffs for a reason other than lousy play, e.g. injuries or other teams play out of their mind will not set the team back long term and in fact could help depending on the haul from next year's draft. Not advocating this just saying it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Concur, although for obvious reasons I'd prefer that not happen. :)

* * *​
He'll play from day one so long as the team has enough time to get the immigration stuff sorted out.

Pretty sure that's already been sorted out, which is why he's in Columbus.

* * *​
Today’s #CBJ lines:
Dano-Anisimov-Hartnell
Calvert-Letestu-Wennberg
Skille-Chaput-Boll

I like that second line a whole hell of a lot. Yes, yes, Jenner is awesome and all, but I always liked how Foligno and Johansen worked together, and throwing in Atkinson just makes my imagination go to all sorts of fun places.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Rob Mixer ‏@RobMixer 12s12 seconds ago
#CBJ going through special teams reps now. PP units: Hartnell-Anisimov-Wennberg; Foligno-Johansen-Atkinson.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Today’s #CBJ lines:
Dano-Anisimov-Hartnell
Calvert-Letestu-Wennberg
Skille-Chaput-Boll

That's the exact lines I was hoping for (except with Cracknell instead of Boller).

Also we might see Wennberg and Dano switch spots at some point. Wennberg already switches with him for the powerplay.

I second Viqsi- there could be some sweet magic to Foligno-Johansen-Atkinson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad