2014 CBJ Training Camp Thread (9/19-10/8)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I see either Dano or Wennberg alternating time "in the press box eating popcorn" while the other plays. Best player stays when Jenner comes back (assuming there aren't more injuries)

JK specifically said that wasn't going to happen. So they're either making the team with a major role, or they're heading back to Springfield soon.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
JK specifically said that wasn't going to happen. So they're either making the team with a major role, or they're heading back to Springfield soon.

I took him to mean the rookies weren't solely going to be in the press box. I don't think he's eliminating the notion of them playing every other game. But who knows?!?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
UH OH

Alison ‏@AlisonL 25s25 seconds ago
#CBJ report that Brandon Dubinsky has been placed on IR. Lower body.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
WHOA

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 10s10 seconds ago
Told #CBJ would consider pursuit of a big-ticket, top-6 winger if it sees no end in sight to Nathan Horton's back woes.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
WHOA

Told #CBJ would consider pursuit of a big-ticket, top-6 winger if it sees no end in sight to Nathan Horton's back woes.

I should hope so. Question is how long till it's determined "no end"?

Why not just do it anyway?

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
WHOA

I just don't see Horton playing again ever. I just hope he doesn't end up being another Chris Pronger like the Flyers have dealt with.

But as for the winger, for some reason Marleau, or maybe E. Kane?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Wow, didn't see that one coming. At least not yet. Like I said in the other thread this is Atkinsons shot to take the #1 RW spot and run with it. If he can't put up big numbers this season (25+ goals, at least 50+ pts) I don't think he'll reach that top line potential. This is his opportunity to become a impact player. We really need him to step it up this year, and early. A lot of pressure on him and Joey to stat the season IMO.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I have heard interest in Evander Kane and Jordan Eberle, but I don't know if we can afford to make a move with what we'd have to give up.

It'd likely be a young roster player (Calvert/Atkinson/Anisimov/Savard/Erixon), one of Rychel/Wennberg/Dano (maybe Bjorkstrand, Milano, or Rielly) plus our 1st in 2015. That's a big chunk of the future to give up.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Wow, didn't see that one coming. At least not yet. Like I said in the other thread this is Atkinsons shot to take the #1 RW spot and run with it. If he can't put up big numbers this season (25+ goals, at least 50+ pts) I don't think he'll reach that top line potential. This is his opportunity to become a impact player. We really need him to step it up this year, and early. A lot of pressure on him and Joey to stat the season IMO.

Is Atkinson really a top line winger? I think your expectations for Cam are a little lofty. Sure, he is probably a 25 goal guy, but I don't know if Cam could handle the pressure of being a go-to guy.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Is Atkinson really a top line winger? I think your expectations for Cam are a little lofty. Sure, he is probably a 25 goal guy, but I don't know if Cam could handle the pressure of being a go-to guy.

I honestly don't know if he is. Nobody does, bit this will definitely be the season we find out. St Louis wasn't a go to guy until he was 27 so. And luckily he does have to be THE go to guy. Thankfully we have the depth both on our roster and youth coming in the system so that he will have help. But I feel like he's the kind of player who will feed off of others who are doing well. A line like Jenner-Joey-Atkinson would flourish imo. Power, skill and speed, but we shall see!

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I have heard interest in Evander Kane and Jordan Eberle, but I don't know if we can afford to make a move with what we'd have to give up.

It'd likely be a young roster player (Calvert/Atkinson/Anisimov/Savard/Erixon), one of Rychel/Wennberg/Dano (maybe Bjorkstrand, Milano, or Rielly) plus our 1st in 2015. That's a big chunk of the future to give up.
Yeah, giving up any of those prospect + our 2015 1st AND a roster player is far too pricey IMO

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Yeah, giving up any of those prospect + our 2015 1st AND a roster player is far too pricey IMO

I'd love to be a fly on the wall to hear the internal discussions going on right now. What is pricier to this organization...the package you listed above or a step backwards out of the playoffs? I would contend taking a step backwards would be more damaging to this organization than the price it would take to acquire a top six forward.

That said, what top six forwards (specifically right wingers) are perceived as available?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'd love to be a fly on the wall to hear the internal discussions going on right now. What is pricier to this organization...the package you listed above or a step backwards out of the playoffs? I would contend taking a step backwards would be more damaging to this organization than the price it would take to acquire a top six forward.

That said, what top six forwards (specifically right wingers) are perceived as available?

I'm going to guess NONE.

And I'll go on record again as saying missing the playoffs for a reason other than lousy play, e.g. injuries or other teams play out of their mind will not set the team back long term and in fact could help depending on the haul from next year's draft. Not advocating this just saying it wouldn't be the end of the world.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com

As far as 1st line wingers are concerned it really is just Eberle for RWs and he might not even be available. But paying a prospect with 1st line/pairing potential+likely top 20 overall pick in an extremely deep draft+roster player just seems tough to swallow. At least Eberle is more proven than E. Kane.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

It's definitely interesting to think about. But what if one of Rychel, Milano or Bjorkstrand become top flight wingers? I can only imagine the conversation going on behind closed doors.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'm going to guess NONE.

And I'll go on record again as saying missing the playoffs for a reason other than lousy play, e.g. injuries or other teams play out of their mind will not set the team back long term and in fact could help depending on the haul from next year's draft. Not advocating this just saying it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I agree. Especially considering all non playoff teams are lotto eligible. Combined with the fact that we have something like 6 picks in the first 2 or 3 rounds. If we miss the playoffs I could see Jarmo working his magic to potentially move up or put the right package together for a top 6 winger.

Realistically I don't see any of the 2013 picks(Dano, Rychel, Wennberg, Heatherington, Bjorkstrand) going anywhere. There's just tooooo much potential there. I mean **** that potentially could be an entire line right there!(maybe on the pp Bjorkstrand can play D :P )

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I'll be shocked if Horton plays 100 games in a Blue Jackets uniform. Reading between the lines, it seems like he's never going to be fully healthy again.

I'm a pretty big Eberle fan. If Edmonton pulls an Edmonton again, I think we could get him on the cheap around the end of 2014.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I'll be shocked if Horton plays 100 games in a Blue Jackets uniform. Reading between the lines, it seems like he's never going to be fully healthy again.

With tweets like Portzline's, it sounds like 100 would be a pipe dream. There is just nothing good about the news (or lack thereof) that is coming from the Jackets. Just like Dubi going on IR, it seems to me that Horton's issues are far worse than the fan base has been led to believe.

Seems to me, there's a lot of excuse building going on from the front office. Horton, Jenner, Dubi on IR, keeping 3 rookies on the roster, Joey not having any time in camp. Don't like the feel of any of it, sounds like they are setting us up for a fall.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
With tweets like Portzline's, it sounds like 100 would be a pipe dream. There is just nothing good about the news (or lack thereof) that is coming from the Jackets. Just like Dubi going on IR, it seems to me that Horton's issues are far worse than the fan base has been led to believe.

Seems to me, there's a lot of excuse building going on from the front office. Horton, Jenner, Dubi on IR, keeping 3 rookies on the roster, Joey not having any time in camp. Don't like the feel of any of it, sounds like they are setting us up for a fall.

For what it's worth, someone I trust says his back condition isn't fixable by surgery. And while it may feel better at some point, it won't be too long before he re injures it after a hypothetical return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad