Olympics: 2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part VII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DyerMaker66*

so G should get a spot because he is great but just plays beyond his expectations because his teams bad play reflects on him. ok.

meanwhile Jbo shouldn't even be in the discussion of making it because he just plays great because his d partner and his teams strong play reflects on him. alright.

Yes, that's exactly right: Giroux is being pulled down, while Jbo is being pulled up. Giroux's faults are being exposed because his team sucks, while Jbo's are being hidden because his team is 4 points out of second with a game at hand. What part of that doesn't make sense to you?

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
Yes, that's exactly right: Giroux is being pulled down, while Jbo is being pulled up. Giroux's faults are being exposed because his team sucks, while Jbo's are being hidden because his team is 4 points out of second with a game at hand. What part of that doesn't make sense to you?

that part where you leave a guy at home because he used to be "bad" or you think who is bad while he plays great but have no problem with taking a guy who plays...not great but you think he should or could be great so he's your man.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Perhaps I don't watch enough Montreal games to understand the concern some posters have but...

He won the Norris last year. He has 13 points in 14 games and is a +5. What gives? Why so many reservations?

WhiteLight*

Duchene - Crosby - St. Louis
Nash - Toews - Sharp
Marleau - Nugent-Hopkins - Seguin
Whiney - MacKinnon - Iginla
Monahan

Pietrangelo - Weber
Keith - Doughty
Beauchemin - Boyle
Morris

Smith
Scrivens

See what I did there?

10 points for anyone who gets it

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Perhaps I don't watch enough Montreal games to understand the concern some posters have but...

He won the Norris last year. He has 13 points in 14 games and is a +5. What gives? Why so many reservations?

There is no excuse for leaving him off the team IMO. But I think this whole idea is just 'talking', and nothing more. It's not gonna happen. He's going to be a par of the team, I'm sure of it.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I feel as though his entire team stinks and that shouldn't reflect negatively on him.

The team stinks partially because he stinks. He was bad at last worlds as well. It's always possible that he just had one good year, and he isn't actually all that good. If you're taking guys based on history that are being dragged down by their team, why not take Lecavelier?

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

There is no excuse for leaving him off the team IMO. But I think this whole idea is just 'talking', and nothing more. It's not gonna happen. He's going to be a par of the team, I'm sure of it.

I also think Subban being on the team helps promote the sport to black Canadians. A Win-Win.
Based on recent NBA Drafts, we are losing some of our best and brightest athletes to basketball.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I also think Subban being on the team helps promote the sport to black Canadians. A Win-Win.
Based on recent NBA Drafts, we are losing some of our best and brightest athletes to basketball.

I do think that it would be good promotion, but I doubt that guys like Thompson, Wiggins or Bennett would have been hockey players if not for basketball. Players that tall are such a rarity in hockey. Possibly someone like Kabongo or Joseph though. I think that the growth of Canadian basketball comes from increased exposure and improved infrastructure, but not really at the expense of hockey.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Talk to me when you've watched him play on a team that didn't hide his faults: He sucked in Calgary.

Right, because from that comment you've watched him play when he was in Calgary. That, or you lived in a hole during the 2012-2013 season.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Ok, let's talk! Hi!

So, I watched the Jay Bouwmeester Highlights DVD, and oh no, wait, I didn't because it would be the most boring thing ever and nobody would ever compile such a thing because all he can do is skate with a nice stride.

Here's one of the best analyses of Bouwmeester I've ever seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqof09PxEmM

He's casual. He's a passenger. He's the worst and I hate him. :D

He's not the worst, but there are tons of guys I would take before him. Hell, I'd take Phaneuf ahead of him, and that's saying something.

That interview was when Sutter was the coach in Calgary. Sutter sucked the daily living out of Boumeester, wouldn't let him create anything offensively, and basically made him become a stay-at-home defenseman. Under Hartley, Boumeester was a brand new player, as he was sound defensively, while producing offensively like he did in Florida. In 2012-2013, it was the best season we saw out of him and that was because of Hartley.

DyerMaker66*

Gotta love "Mr. Norris'" play tonight: -2 and directly responsible for the third goal.

Last edited by a moderator:

DyerMaker66*

Right, because from that comment you've watched him play when he was in Calgary. That, or you lived in a hole during the 2012-2013 season.

Or 2012-2013 wasn't a full season, and one of us is putting more stock into 33 games (and on pace for his worst plus/minus season since his rookie year) than they are into his play over the course of the prior 3 seasons.

Your comment has made me feel the same: Did you watch Calgary games with your eyes closed throughout his tenure there?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Month has passed, Who's in / Who's out - Team Canada

I think it's fair to say Luongo has easily held onto the #1 goalie role.

Matt duchene I believe is gonna sneak a spot, he has had a great start too the year.

Guys like holtby has had a rough start, Taylor hall has been pretty average this year, Subban looks like he took that #6 spot for canada.

Who do you guys have now, who stole a spot, who fell back?

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
I know his name will probably fly under the radar but I think Martin St.Louis should make it. The guy is top ten in scoring in the NHL currently, had a monster year last year. It would be a shame if he was left off the team.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Not sure how you can state, "it's fair to say Luongo has easily held onto the #1 goalie role." All 4 goalies he is considered to be competing with (Fleury, Price, Crawford, Smith) are doing well too. Plus Bernier and Reimer deserve to be in consideration, don't they?

DyerMaker66*

that part where you leave a guy at home because he used to be "bad" or you think who is bad while he plays great but have no problem with taking a guy who plays...not great but you think he should or could be great so he's your man.

Bouwmeester isn't playing great, though; that was the entire point of what I typed. He's playing adequately on a great team. Much like how he was playing inadequately on a terrible team in Calgary.

Macman

May 15, 2004
I'm so worried about more injuries. With so much hitting, head-hunting and shot-blocking in today's NHL, they can't seem to get through a game without someone being carted off. The next three months are going to be nerve-wracking. If any one of Crosby, Toews or Stamkos go down, Canada is screwed.

When is Neal coming back? He doesn't seem to be on anybody's team. If he comes back in time and is able to pick up where he left off, he's a lock to me.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm so worried about more injuries. With so much hitting, head-hunting and shot-blocking in today's NHL, they can't seem to get through a game without someone being carted off. The next three months are going to be nerve-wracking. If any one of Crosby, Toews or Stamkos go down, Canada is screwed.

When is Neal coming back? He doesn't seem to be on anybody's team. If he comes back in time and is able to pick up where he left off, he's a lock to me.

Canada is the country that should be least concerned with injuries. Anyone who goes down with an injury can be replaced with an elite player, outside of goal anyway. Even losing Crosby wouldn't be a huge issue.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Or 2012-2013 wasn't a full season, and one of us is putting more stock into 33 games (and on pace for his worst plus/minus season since his rookie year) than they are into his play over the course of the prior 3 seasons.

Your comment has made me feel the same: Did you watch Calgary games with your eyes closed throughout his tenure there?

I find it highly amusing that you didn't read my post that was below the one you quoted.

And the +/- stat is pretty redundant, considering the Flames had one of the worst seasons in franchise history. It's not like Boumeester was the only player on the team who were in the negatives and that Stajan had the best +/- on the team with a +7. Yeah, the team as a whole played good defensively last season. :rolleyes:

Here, let me requote what I said:

That interview was when Sutter was the coach in Calgary. Sutter sucked the living daylights out of Boumeester, who wouldn't let him create anything offensively, and basically made him become a stay-at-home defenseman. Under Hartley, Boumeester was a brand new player, as he was sound defensively, while producing offensively like he did in Florida. In 2012-2013, it was the best season we saw out of him and that was because of Hartley.

Stat watching isn't everything my friend, you gotta watch the game(s) to understand.

But, if you want to talk stats, Boumeester only had a combined total of 12 goals in three seasons when under Brent Sutter in Calgary. He had a combined total of 53 goals when in Florida. This has to set off an alarm, suggesting that maybe, just maybe, the coach had something to do with Boumeester's goal/point deduction. When Hartley came on as coach, Boumeester had 6 goals in 33 games, which would amount to 15 goals (there about). Now, when Boumeester was traded to St.Louis, who is more of a defensive team, Boumeester's goal production dropped, but still racked up the points. Plus, his +/- was a +9 in 2012-2013.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that Sutter held Boumeester back.

Last edited:

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Bouwmeester isn't playing great, though; that was the entire point of what I typed. He's playing adequately on a great team. Much like how he was playing inadequately on a terrible team in Calgary.

Jay-Bo has been amazing for the Blues so far this season. I had a negative opinion of him when he was traded to the Blues but he's been great. He has 9 pts in 12 games and leads the team in +/- at +10. He's an amazing skater, super calm under pressure and not bad in the offensive zone either. With his chemistry with Petro and Canada's lack if lefty d-men, he will likely make the team.

DyerMaker66*

Gotto love these comments. He probably must be perfect or better to make the team.

It's more to point out the hypocrisy of using random anecdotes to justify not putting Letang on the team while Subban takes a free pass. For example:

I do have a bad feeling that Yzerman/Babcock are going to overthink this, with all of the talk around Kunitz, Boyle, Letang, Lucic (another Dreger fave). There was a bit of that in 2010 with Bergeron making the squad over St. Louis (Bergeron is great, but had no business being on that team IMO), which may be a sign of things to come. Hopefully not.

He does. I just seen Letang as mistake prone. I can't shake that. If he goes, I think it will be a mistake.

Letang should be nowhere near this team. Liability defensively and very weak on the PP.

Subban is a much better choice

I actually agree that he should be on it. Boyle I don't care so much about but Letang is just terrible.

How is he mistake prone? How is he a defensive liability and weak on the Powerplay when the's the QB? How is last year's Norris runner-up "just terrible" when he's actually playing better than last year?
How is bringing last year's Norris runner-up "over thinking this" when it's really essentially under thinking it?

DyerMaker66*

I find it highly amusing that you didn't read my post that was below the one you quoted.

It wasn't a reply to me...

And the +/- stat is pretty redundant, considering the Flames had one of the worst seasons in franchise history. It's not like Boumeester was the only player on the team who were in the negatives and that Stajan had the best +/- on the team with a +7. Yeah, the team as a whole played good defensively last season. :rolleyes:

Here, let me requote what I said:

Stat watching isn't everything my friend, you gotta watch the game(s) to understand.
I do watch Calgary games, I watch most games that are on TV and it's not like he was some shining beacon of defensive responsible.

But, if you want to talk stats, Boumeester only had a combined total of 12 goals in three seasons when under Brent Sutter in Calgary. He had a combined total of 53 goals when in Florida. This has to set off an alarm, suggesting that maybe, just maybe, the coach had something to do with Boumeester's goal/point deduction. When Hartley came on as coach, Boumeester had 6 goals in 33 games, which would amount to 15 goals (there about). Now, when Boumeester was traded to St.Louis, who is more of a defensive team, Boumeester's goal production dropped, but still racked up the points. Plus, his +/- was a +9 in 2012-2013.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that Sutter held Boumeester back.

Offensively perhaps, but JBo's a defenceman and that demonstrated exactly why he shouldn't be on the team: We don't need defencemen who are defensive liabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad