Olympics: 2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part VII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

My post from the last thread about who the TSN panel was talking about for the team:

TSN panel just talked about their opinion on locks/favourites for the team

Goal
Lock - None
Favourite - Luongo (they also mentioned Price as the backup and I didn't hear who the #3 is)

Defense
Lock - Doughty, Weber, Keith
Favourite - Letang, Pietrangelo, Bouwemeester, Subban
They also mentioned Hamhuis

Forwards
Lock - Staal, Nash, Crosby, Toews, Getzlaf, Giroux, Tavares, Stamkos, Bergeron
Favourite - Perry, St. Louis
They also mentioned Carter and Richards
Dreger mentioned Lucic

Manitoba Oilers*

Hall-Crosby-Tavares
Nash-Toews-Stamkos
E.Stall-Giroux-Perry
E.Kane-Bergeron-Eberle
Couture- Nugent-Hopkins

Weber-Doughty
Keith-Letang
Pietrangelo-Subban
Seabrook-Stall
Price
Luongo

PP Stamkos-Tavares-Nugent-Hopkins
Weber-Crosby

Perry-Toews-Hall
Giroux-Keith

PK

Bergeron-Stall
Weber-Keith

Toews-Perry
Doughty-Pietrengelo

Shootout Crosby
Toews
Giroux
Eberle
Tavares

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

Bob McKenzie said that the Hockey Canada officials and coaches are "very disappointed" that Giroux wasn't there but that the Flyers were "emphatic" that he not come.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Hitchcock: Well, the biggest mistake you can make on big ice is to think you have more time.

Crosby: Well, on big ice the main difference is that you have a bit more time.

Time to start those discussions...

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Bob McKenzie said that the Hockey Canada officials and coaches are "very disappointed" that Giroux wasn't there but that the Flyers were "emphatic" that he not come.

The whole thing is interesting. I don't know what is really behind it, maybe it's understandable, but I at least like the response of HC. There should be some respect for them. He's not there because of finger? Are you kidding me.....well, OK.
I like him both as a person and as a player, but...well, I hope it's not and it won't be a such a big problem neither for him nor for the team.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

The whole thing is interesting. I don't know what is really behind it, maybe it's understandable, but I at least like the response of HC. There should be some respect for them. He's not there because of finger? Are you kidding me.....well, OK.
I like him both as a person and as a player, but...well, I hope it's not and it won't be a such a big problem neither for him nor for the team.

to be fair to giroux tsn made it sound like it was more about the flyers than him

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009

You obviously haven't endured the horrid pain of flying with a broken finger. :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I hope him and Crosby set apart their differences and play some good ol' hockey at the tournament.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I found it interesting that Babcock told Duthie that there are five defencemen that he considers almost locks at this point. This was also just after emphasizing how much he cares about pairing a LH and RH together, and also how he does not care for players who take lots of risks. Keith, Weber and Doughty are a given. Pietrangelo seems the next most likely to me, and maybe Bouwmester as well.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Holtby is such an idiot, because as far as I can see he is the only one who didn't dodge the Russian law question and he answered it in the stupidest way possible in regards to getting a spot on the roster.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Holtby is such an idiot, because as far as I can see he is the only one who didn't dodge the Russian law question and he answered it in the stupidest way possible in regards to getting a spot on the roster.

What did he say?

All the video clips from the press conference are up on the tsn website.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
He said it was tough to go to a country with those laws.

In his defence, of all the players they have a clip of answering this question I think he has the least amount of media training on this topic. The other players were Crosby, Stamkos, and Weber (both Stamkos and Weber were part of the You Can Play campaign and Crosby is Crosby).

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

I don't understand this at all. It's not like they were going to go on the ice or anything. I'm sure HC didn't expect him or any other players to do anything physical and it's his first time as an Olympic invitee. Something's up.

XeO

Dec 10, 2011
My guess

Nash - Crosby - Giroux
Hall - Toews - Stamkos
Marchand - Tavares - Bergeron
E.Staal - Getzlaf - Perry

Keith - Weber
Bouwmeester - Doughty
Pietrangelo - Subban

Luongo
Price
Crawford

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It's quite possible the Flyers just wanted to lock Giroux in his house before training camp/start of the season so he didn't injure anything else.

The one interesting tidbit i got from the footage today was Babcock worked with the Lions and Michigan university team and consulted them about "walkthroughs".

Babcock and the staff plan on getting the players on olympic sized ice(in their shoes of course) and going through systems etc. Babcock said it can be a more useful tool then just watching video or a drawing board.

DyerMaker66*

too many oilers involved in all this

i have a bad feeling hall and eberle are gonna make the team.
They both should. Where I disagree with Oilers fans is that RNH has any chance of making this team.

Babcock said they'll be a younger group. Not entirely sure what to make of that, but perhaps we will see a decent amount of Hall/Duchene/Couture/Eberle's

I hope so; no 2006 repeat, please.

Maybe that gets rid of Sharp but St. Louis still has a good chance IMO
Agreed; the only things (potentially) against St. Louis are the facts that he didn't make the 2010 team and his age.

More likely, it means that the likes of Stamkos, Tavares, Giroux are locks to make the team this time around. The players you mentioned are on the bubble IMO.

Agreed and I really hope the players duul listed get a good look taken at them.

TSN panel just talked about their opinion on locks/favourites for the team

Goal
Lock - None
Favourite - Luongo (they also mentioned Price as the backup and I didn't hear who the #3 is)

Defense
Lock - Doughty, Weber, Keith
Favourite - Letang, Pietrangelo, Bouwemeester, Subban
They also mentioned Hamhuis

Forwards
Lock - Staal, Nash, Crosby, Toews, Getzlaf, Giroux, Tavares, Stamkos, Bergeron
Favourite - Perry, St. Louis
They also mentioned Carter and Richards
Dreger mentioned Lucic

Smith was their #3 guy, iirc.

I don't like the addition of Bouwmeester; I'd rather Marc Staal be there instead.

I really don't think Lucic should be on this team.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Stamkos - Crosby - St. Louis
Tavares - Toews - Giroux
Nash - Bergeron - Richards
Hall - Getzlaf - E. Staal
Perry, Couture

Subban - Weber
Keith - Seabrook
Pietrangelo - Doughty
Letang

Price/Luongo
Crawford

butter sheep*

My guess

Nash - Crosby - Giroux
Hall - Toews - Stamkos
Marchand - Tavares - Bergeron
E.Staal - Getzlaf - Perry

Keith - Weber
Bouwmeester - Doughty
Pietrangelo - Subban

Luongo
Price
Crawford
Not so sure about Luongo starting but everything else looks good. Maybe replace Bouwmeester with Letang and Pietrangelo with Seabrook and we're set.

Ironslave

May 22, 2008
Not so sure about Luongo starting but everything else looks good. Maybe replace Bouwmeester with Letang and Pietrangelo with Seabrook and we're set.

Bouwmeester is a left shot, he plays well on international size ice, and Babcock likes defenders to play their natural side. You'd also have a tough time arguing for Seabrook over Pietrangelo, Pietrangelo is a much better player.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

They're not going to be taking 1 LHS. There will be at least 2, probably 3 LHS defensemen on the roster.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Assemble the worst team you can think of that would still take a bronze medal!

Marleau - Thornton - St. Louis
Lucic - Richards B - Seguin
Benn - Duchene - Lecavalier
Marchand - Richards M - Bergeron

camperjr

Feb 19, 2007
Hitchcock: Well, the biggest mistake you can make on big ice is to think you have more time.

Crosby: Well, on big ice the main difference is that you have a bit more time.

Time to start those discussions...

I noticed that too, interresting to compare the quotes

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I noticed that too, interresting to compare the quotes

Both statements are accurate, you do have a second or two longer to make a play, but from a tactical point of view, it is a mistake to take that second or two... is what I thought he meant by it, the pace of the game we want to play shouldn't change just because there is that added second to make a decision...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad