Olympics: 2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CH4

Jul 21, 2004
Chicoutimi

782 points in 854 NHL games (0.915 ppg), 76 points in 81 playoffs games (0.938 ppg), Conn Smythe trophy.

vs

393 pts in 527 games (0.74ppg) with 61 in 77 playoffs games (0.7922 ppg).

it's not like Mike's defense is miles ahead of brad's.

I personally take Brad well before Mike.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
I would like to see something like this.

Stamkos - Crosby - Neal
Hall - Toews - Eberle
Skinner - Staal - Benn
Nash - Tavares - Seguin

Doughty - Weber
Keith - Pietrangelo
Myers - Letang

Price
XXXX

I'm a big fan of keeping teammates together for chemistry sake.

CH4

Jul 21, 2004
Chicoutimi
I would like to see something like this.

Stamkos - Crosby - Neal
Hall - Toews - Eberle
Skinner - Staal - Benn
Nash - Tavares - Seguin

Doughty - Weber
Keith - Pietrangelo
Myers - Letang

Price
XXXX

I'm a big fan of keeping teammates together for chemistry sake.

add giroux

86Habs

May 4, 2009
782 points in 854 NHL games (0.915 ppg), 76 points in 81 playoffs games (0.938 ppg), Conn Smythe trophy.

vs

393 pts in 527 games (0.74ppg) with 61 in 77 playoffs games (0.7922 ppg).

it's not like Mike's defense is miles ahead of brad's.

I personally take Brad well before Mike.

They didn't take Brad in 2010 when he was in the midst of a 90+ point season, so they probably won't take him in 2014, either. As we know, Mike was on the 2010 team and was one of our better forwards in a 2-way role with Toews and Nash.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Tavares-Stamkos-Giroux
Perry-Crosby-Eberle
Nash-Toews-Seguin
Kane-RNH-Benn
Spezza

Keith-Weber
Del Zotto-Letang
Campbell-Pietrangelo
Doughty

Luongo
Price
Holtby

Good blend of youth, and we have a team that can skate and attach. On an international ice surface our size is neutralized. Where we have failed is against teams that have great skaters, fast skaters, and great puck movers. This team has all that.

Yamaguchi*

Moog, Hextall, Fuhr

L Murphy, Coffey, Hartsburg, Rochefort, Crossman, Huddy, Bourque

Gretzky, M Lemieux, Gilmour, Messier, Brent Sutter, Kerr, Tocchet, Propp, C Lemieux, Anderson, Nicholls, Goulet, Gartner.

Would love to see them back on ice in 2014

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
These are my 13 forwards and my lines as of right now-

Eric Staal Crosby Stamkos

Perry Getzlaf Skinner

Nash Tavares Giroux

Sharp Toews Mike Richards

T. Seguin

Just to clarify guys, these are my forwards as of today. However, like others have posted, things can change after next season, and the first couple of months of the 2013-2014 season. So, we still have a good year and a half to go back and forth. However, just to be clear, if guys like Eberle, Hall, Logan Couture and Kane have a great season next year, they should definetly be in the mix for Sochi. The forwards will be good, I am just worried about the goaltending. Maybe Hockey Canada should have a talk with Jonathan Quick about taking out Canadian Citizenship to play for Canada (LOL). Hopefully guys like Mike Smith, Carey Price and Luongo have a great year next year to alleviate goaltending concerns. Not sure about Fleury after he allowed several soft goals against the Flyers and was one of many reasons the Pens bounced out early.

Last edited:

chisholm20

Mar 26, 2011
My updated 2014 Roster;

Skinner Crosby Stamkos
Tavares Giroux Perry
E. Staal Toews Eberle
M. Richards Bergeron Nash
J. Staal

Weber Doughty
Keith Pietrangelo
Letang M. Staal
Seabrook

Price
Fleury
Luongo

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
My updated 2014 Roster;

Skinner Crosby Stamkos
Tavares Giroux Perry
E. Staal Toews Eberle
M. Richards Bergeron Nash
J. Staal

Weber Doughty
Keith Pietrangelo
Letang M. Staal
Seabrook

Price
Fleury
Luongo

Not sure about J. Staal or Bergeron. Both are good players, but there are other guys that I would look to compared to them. People forget how poorly Bergeron played in the last Olympics. His faceoffs were subpar according to his normal track record, the coaches reduced his minutes as the tournament went along, removed Crosby from his line, and he just did not play well overall. Maybe he was not 100%. I am a Tyler Seguin fan, and would love to see him there if he has a great next season. Rather have Mike Smith ahead of Fleury right now. Fleury did not have a good playoffs and let his team down against Philly allowing several soft goals.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Not sure about J. Staal or Bergeron. Both are good players, but there are other guys that I would look to compared to them. People forget how poorly Bergeron played in the last Olympics. His faceoffs were subpar according to his normal track record, the coaches reduced his minutes as the tournament went along, removed Crosby from his line, and he just did not play well overall. Maybe he was not 100%. I am a Tyler Seguin fan, and would love to see him there if he has a great next season. Rather have Mike Smith ahead of Fleury right now. Fleury did not have a good playoffs and let his team down against Philly allowing several soft goals.

Bergeron was hurt into 2010 (suffered a groin pull in the first game, I believe). Plus, he's a better player now than he was then, and was arguably Boston's best forward during last year's playoffs. I'd like to see him in Sochi in 2014, in a 4th line/PK role - perhaps playing with Seguin, in order to maintain their pre-existing chemistry. I'd love to see a Bergeron-Seguin-M. Richards 2-way line, or a pure shutdown line of Bergeron-Richards-Toews.

Seanconn*

RNH could definitely make the team. Between Seguin, Tavares, and RNH... Probably 2 of the three make it.

Why should Canada make the mistake of not taking a player like Crosby again? (2006). Or Stamkos in 2010 (despite the gold medal win)

RNH could easily be the best young center in the league by the end of the 12/13 season. I'd much rather have RNH on the team than some washed up guy like Nash

Seanconn*

Mike Smith could definitely make a case for a roster spot. But I doubt anyone but Price will have a good chance at being the number 1 goalie.

Now that Luongo is on his way out of Vancouver... I bet we see a lot less people claiming he should be on the team.

DyerMaker66*

RNH could definitely make the team. Between Seguin, Tavares, and RNH... Probably 2 of the three make it.

Why should Canada make the mistake of not taking a player like Crosby again? (2006). Or Stamkos in 2010 (despite the gold medal win)

RNH could easily be the best young center in the league by the end of the 12/13 season. I'd much rather have RNH on the team than some washed up guy like Nash

I agree, but not before Tavares or Seguin.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I was thinking about this the other day. With Broduer being done and Luongo on the decline do we really have a goalie for 2014. Marc-Andre Fluery? Brian Elliott if he has more seasons like this?

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I was thinking about this the other day. With Broduer being done and Luongo on the decline do we really have a goalie for 2014. Marc-Andre Fluery? Brian Elliott if he has more seasons like this?

Price. Smith.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Crosby
Stamkos
Giroux
Toews
Nash
M. Richards
Eberle
Tavares
Skinner
Hall
Neal
Seguin
Kane

Weber
Doughty
Letang
Keith
Pietrangelo
Staal
Myers
Girardi

Price
Fleury
Luongo

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010

Rick Nash is a long way from being washed up. Hopefully he'll soon be on his way to another team where he can play with some decent line mates. The guy has never played in the NHL with a decent center. If he stays in Columbus it will be a waste of a career. :shakehead

chisholm20

Mar 26, 2011
John Tavares has got to be pretty close to a lock for this team. The knock against him was his skating, especially when you consider the big ice. It's improved greatly, and the rest of his game puts him, IMO, easily within the top 15 forwards in the world.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Rick Nash is a long way from being washed up. Hopefully he'll soon be on his way to another team where he can play with some decent line mates. The guy has never played in the NHL with a decent center. If he stays in Columbus it will be a waste of a career. :shakehead

Unless he is one of those guys who likes playing in obscurity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad