2014-2015 WHL Regular season talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hordichuk_24

Hmm, i had read a preview somewhere that said the Royals might the "bust" team this year. Obviously the first two games you can't tell, but i wonder if that will be true.

They are missing several regular players at NHL camp (and suspension). Not exactly an accurate measurement of what they will be once everybody returns. I still believe they will finish 2nd behind Kelowna in the BC division. That Victoria team on Saturday made the Giants look pretty good. Sadly that isn't very easy.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
^I'd say the Giants did pretty alright though, I mean of course it was hard for Victoria missing most of their core and playing just 5 D men on back to back nights really hurt, gotta give the Gmen credit though, it was still pretty impressive stuff.

Hordichuk_24

^I'd say the Giants did pretty alright though, I mean of course it was hard for Victoria missing most of their core and playing just 5 D men on back to back nights really hurt, gotta give the Gmen credit though, it was still pretty impressive stuff.

I'll agree to disagree. If Victoria could manage to put up more than 4 shots on goal per period the result would be different, IMO. You aren't going to win many games when you can only produce 12 shots on goal. Even with someone as bad as Payton Lee in goal. The Giants looked good in some areas but I think what we saw is very misleading based on the players the Royals didn't have available.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
^ I kind of do agree with you, the jury is maybe still out on if Lee is a legit #1 goalie. To say it was just the Royals were so bad though isn't true, it's also not true to say the Giants were so great, the truth is in the middle, the new system the Giants played was very effective vs. the Royals undeniably.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
To recap the weekend, it was pretty crazy, but that's to be expected with the start, biggest story was Portland losing BTB at home to Seattle and esp. PG, not sure if they ever lost 2 in a row all last season, certainly not at home, will they bounce back, or are they in for a hard year? Victoria losing BTB was also a bit of a surprise, but not so much when you consider they only were able to dress 5 D men for both games, plus they were missing 5 of their core players. PG I think shocked by beating the Whawks, then the next game got creamed 7-0 in Tri-City, so what to make of that who knows.

In the east heavily favoured Calgary dropped game 1 at home to Red Deer.

arsmaster*

A little early to be placing too much importance on the first 2 of 72 considering teams such as Portland are missing the #2 and #3 scorer in all of the league.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
To recap the weekend, it was pretty crazy, but that's to be expected with the start, biggest story was Portland losing BTB at home to Seattle and esp. PG, not sure if they ever lost 2 in a row all last season, certainly not at home, will they bounce back, or are they in for a hard year? Victoria losing BTB was also a bit of a surprise, but not so much when you consider they only were able to dress 5 D men for both games, plus they were missing 5 of their core players. PG I think shocked by beating the Whawks, then the next game got creamed 7-0 in Tri-City, so what to make of that who knows.

In the east heavily favoured Calgary dropped game 1 at home to Red Deer.

Like most ppl have said, take little from the first weekend into predicting the rest of the way. PG got to their hotel at 4 AM...no excuses, but they most definitely played like a tired team. They were a step behind the whole game, I would say that the team that played Portland is likely closer to the true representation.

Hordichuk_24

^ I kind of do agree with you, the jury is maybe still out on if Lee is a legit #1 goalie.

He isn't, IMO. At least not at this level. He is way too inconsistent and easily rattled. I think he was rushed too soon although that is hindsight. The Giants aren't confident in him either as they decided to keep three goaltenders on the roster for now. Kubic has looked the best but they don't want to do the same with him as they did with Lee.

Scouter said:
To say it was just the Royals were so bad though isn't true, it's also not true to say the Giants were so great, the truth is in the middle, the new system the Giants played was very effective vs. the Royals undeniably.

The last part is the key. Against the Royals and the team they dressed on Saturday night. An mediocre team at best. The Giants are an average team and they beat an average team on that night. Once the Royals dress a full line up they beat the Giants more often than not in my opinion. I'm not complaining as I'm glad the Giants won my expectations are just really low this season. Especially given the goaltending situation.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
^ So if that's the case, what are the Giants going to do about their goalie situation, cause they need to shore it up, the Blades just traded for a 4th goalie, maybe the Giants could get one off them, or perhaps they are even more insecure about it?

Maybe with a new coach, a new system and a year older players, you should wait and see before giving them a hard time, I mean change usually brings at least some optimism, I mean they have Benson, recruited another potentially very good player in Brumm and drafted Bobylov, along with what looks to be a pretty solid roster with Houck and Osipov looks like he will finally do well.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
^ Do you support both the Blazers and PG, because you seem to be into PG too?

Hordichuk_24

^ So if that's the case, what are the Giants going to do about their goalie situation, cause they need to shore it up, the Blades just traded for a 4th goalie, maybe the Giants could get one off them, or perhaps they are even more insecure about it?

From what I was told they are going to let them battle it out. But realistically you can't carry 3 goaltenders for very long. And a young kid like Kubic needs to play and develop. I would imagine he will eventually be sent down (unless they can find a team willing to take Lee).

Scouter said:
Maybe with a new coach, a new system and a year older players, you should wait and see before giving them a hard time, I mean change usually brings at least some optimism, I mean they have Benson, recruited another potentially very good player in Brumm and drafted Bobylov, along with what looks to be a pretty solid roster with Houck and Osipov looks like he will finally do well.

I'm not trying to give the team a hard time. I'm just trying to be realistic. I don't think this team is any better than the team last season. Especially on defense. They have virtually no offensive threat from the point. Although on that note I do believe Osipov can provide some of that. He was very good in the preseason but got very little attention or recognition. Don Hay didn't like him and he really got a fair shot. With a new coach I expect he will be given a larger role. He has deceptively good shot from the point.

Benson has looked good. No complaints there. There is plenty of young talent on the team but not a lot of size up front. I think that is a potential issue. Another young kid that has stood out is Jesse Roach. I wish he would use his size a bit more but he seems to have a knack for being in the right spot at the right time.

Anyway it's early and we will have to wait and see how the season progresses. I just don't see this team being anything more than just average. They should squeak into the playoffs but that's about all.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
^ Well they did add size up front with Brumm, Bobylyov, McClelland, Holterhus is huge and as you said Roach. Comments seem pretty negative, the league is pretty hard to predict, so I wouldn't go making any really early premature judgements just yet, team is probably better than you think.

Last edited:

Hordichuk_24

^ Well they did add size up front with Brumm, Bobylyov, McClelland, Holterhus is huge and as you said Roach.

Size is one thing but you have to use it to be effective. McClelland is the only guy on that list that uses his size and he is the worst player out of the bunch. Not that I have anything against him. I like what he's brought so far. He brings some needed toughness and I'm always a proponent of that. Whether he is still on the team after Ronning returns is a question mark right now. I hope so. What concerns me is their top six. There are skilled players in that bunch but most of them are very small. Houck can play big at times but he is extremely inconsistent and doesn't always bring it physically. One player that really started to turn the corner last season was Foster. And I thought he was one of their best players during the preseason. I think a new coach will greatly benefit players like Baer and Ronning. They were suffocated in Hay's system.

A lot of their success or (lack of) will start in goal. If Lee can somehow regain his confidence and play up to his potential the team could be better than expected. I've given Lee the benefit of the doubt the past couple of seasons but my patience is running out.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Victoria and Portland lose their 3rd straight to supposedly weaker teams, Calgary loses it's 2nd, Seattle drops another, Vancouver and Tri-City are perfect, interesting start so far.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Oil Kings get the mini-comeback win scoring two unanswered and improve to undefeated 3-0-0 on the Season.

Blake Orban and Ben Carroll get the goals, while Tristan Jarry in his first stint back with the Club performs like his old self stopping 36/37 shots faced.

http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/33465

----

The Oil Kings play Meddy Hat again on Tuesday.

The Rebels face Moose Jaw on Thursday.

Mark your Calenders! :partytime:

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Portland are 0-4, 0-3 at home, amazing, guess all those deep runs have finally taken their toll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg