Proposal: 2014/2015 Season Trade Rumours and Proposals XI - Roman Numerals are fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Those list ,s are exactly what i mean ,none of those defensemen would be worth the assets to aquire or the money we would have to spend to get any of them .Defensemen are always a hot commodity good ones are almost unatainable ,decent forwards always seem to be available though.So it does make more sense to beef up our offense even more ,and hope someone in the system can progress into a top 4 role

That is the problem right there, this is the reason why we have a mediocre defense. Just wait it out, provide no support to the rookies and expect them to develop into top 4 defensemens. Yea, that will not work for you. We need an experienced defensemen to help our young defensemen!!!!! Doesn't matter how much it costs, we need one.... we need one.:help:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
You might be right on Hjlamarsson, but with 5M left to sign 10 players, they'll have to let Oduya, Timonen and other players walk or trade a player which is my reasoning behind Hjalmarsson or Oduya. They may not trade him, we can't be sure of that but that's just what happens when a team is in cap trouble, they may trade good players with good value just like Boston did with Boychuk, or like Chicago did themselves with Leddy. Add on top of that that he's been mentionned in rumors quite a bit but you take that for what it's worth.

Emelin will be traded I'm almost 100% positive about that, I follow Montreal quite a bit so I can tell you that with Markov with two years left, Beaulieu playing on the top 4 (in front of Emelin) and Jarred Tinordi coming up, they will most likely trade Emelin.Montreal has more than enough defensemen that are younger and just as physical as Emelin like you are insuing and already equally better to Emelin (Tinordi is extremely physical). Tinordi is more than ready to make the jump and Emelin is seeing a more and more limited role with Montreal, won't be a suprise to see him traded.

As for Quincey, he signed a two year deal in 2014, which leaves him as a UFA after next season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go a the deadline depending on how Dekeyser plays out. As it stands today, Dekeyser has already a more important role on Detroits roster and they also have Kronwall on the left side. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go with the expanded role of Dekeyser and especially if the defensemen market stays as good. By giving him only 2 years, you have to think on how much they really see him in their future plans.

I think you understand that not all of these defensemen will be traded, these are not facts but just options that could happen, these players could very well not be traded but out of the 9 defensemen I named, I am positiive that some of them will change teams at some point either this summer or next season for different reasons. Some for performance reasons, some for cap trouble and some because they are just expandable. Again, not all these players will move, but some of them will and it's why I wrote might.

Still disagree about the Chicago thing, I think it's obvious that they're going to try and dump guys like Bickell far before they even entertain the notion of cutting the legs out from under their blueline and trading away the only responsible defenceman on that team outside of the top pair.

As for Montreal & Detroit, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah. I would mos def be chasing RNH hard. But I would try to keep Turris. I think puempel could be a consistent 30 goal guy riding shotgun with RNH. Maybe put lazar on the other wing. Or even stone. Pursue this elusive "top 6" guy through trade. Go get some d help in FA
Lehner cowen gryba Neil Phillips legwand Michalek out. ~ 17 mil.
RNH ehrhoff/sekera/petry in. ~ 10 million.
Yo we saved money.
Not sure what I have up for RNH though.
Lehner cowen Hoffman I guess.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Should be the basis (add a Neil or Smith) to a Top 6 return. Add our 2nd and Eberle might be in play.

I think one of the most interesting non-playoff stories out there right now that no one is talking about is that MacTavish promised all of his "stars" (Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov) after the season ended that he wasn't going to trade them, basically gave them all a vote of confidence... but now that Chiarelli is in charge, will he feel compelled to keep the old bosses' promises?

He's definitely going to have to walk on eggshells with that one. I'm curious as to how that will play itself out, and if Chia decides to move one of them out, if he will have to deal with the fallout of guys feeling like they've been lied to.

MacT put Chia in a hell of a position, if you ask me. I mean, I'm sure MacT doesn't give a rat's patoot, but it definitely is not ideal for the new guy.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Lehner + Cowen (assuming both are healthy) is easily worth more than a mere second round pick.

Not really. Cowen's value couldn't be lower after being scratched for every meaningful game of the year, and the money he is signed to. Lehner is all potential, very little proven performance there.

If the sens can get a top end 2nd rounder for those two, they'd be doing very well.

EDIT: and if people think by adding Neil or Smith to those two we can get top 6 talent, that's laughable.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
I don't see Chiarelli being responsible for anything that MacT said in the past.
There is a new sheriff in town!

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Still disagree about the Chicago thing, I think it's obvious that they're going to try and dump guys like Bickell far before they even entertain the notion of cutting the legs out from under their blueline and trading away the only responsible defenceman on that team outside of the top pair.

As for Montreal & Detroit, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I totally understand, I wouldn't trade Hjalmarsson either, but I wouldn't have traded Leddy either, and I wouldn't let Oduya walk. The problem is guys like Bickell with the contract they have are almost untradeable unless you take a bad contract back and Chicago can't do that. They'll probably trade Sharp, ut to trade a player and take no salary back, usually that player has to be very good. Very rarely do teams take on salary for no reason. Boston traded Boychuk when they could have traded guys like Kelly, Paille, Bartkowski and Soderberg who'll walk for nothing this summer. Out of all the guys I named, Hjlamarsson is probably the least likely to be traded. I just think it's silly to say that top line forwards that are 25-28 years old, like Murray is targeting, are easier to get than any of the guys I mentionned. The price is relatively the same and I think everybody agrees that we need a top 4 defensemen much more than a top 6 forward. Adding a top 6 forward won't make us better defensively and won't fix our problems on defense. Our top 6 is already solid, and most of the guys will get even better.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Given that Tim Murray knows our players well (and likely slightly overvalues them as a result) we might be able to dump some guys on him. We would, however, have to take back a stinky contract in return. I would imagine that TM would love to dump Cody Hodgson, what with four years left at over $4 million a year and a whopping 13 points in 78 games to show for it.

Again, we had all better get used to the notion that we will have to either retain salary or take back stinky contracts when making trades. The frozen cap, plus the fact that you can't bury bad contracts in the minors anymore, makes it very difficult to dump players for mid or late round picks like you could back in the day...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Not really. Cowen's value couldn't be lower after being scratched for every meaningful game of the year, and the money he is signed to. Lehner is all potential, very little proven performance there.

If the sens can get a top end 2nd rounder for those two, they'd be doing very well.

EDIT: and if people think by adding Neil or Smith to those two we can get top 6 talent, that's laughable.

It was also revealed that Cowen had a sports hernia as well. So it wasn't just a regular "healthy scratch" situation. And Lehner is still well regarded in the league. There are a lot of GMs frothing at the mouth to get a 6-foot-5, mobile, somewhat nasty defenseman for their blueline.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Given that Tim Murray knows our players well (and likely slightly overvalues them as a result) we might be able to dump some guys on him. We would, however, have to take back a stinky contract in return. I would imagine that TM would love to dump Cody Hodgson, what with four years left at over $4 million a year and a whopping 13 points in 78 games to show for it.

Hodgson's contract is even worse than the cap hit ($4.25 AAV). His actual salary for the remainder of his contract is as follows:

2015-16 - $4,000,000
2016-17 - $4,500,000
2017-18 - $5,000,000
2018-19 - $5,500,000

Buffalo has already paid for his "cheap years". It's all nasty from here on out.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Time for Claude Giroux to triumphantly come back to his hometown.

I mean, why would he want to play anywhere else? Answer: he wouldn't. Every star player wants to play in their hometown, it's destiny. I learned that from Flyers fans.

Good thing there's no NHL team in Hearst!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think one of the most interesting non-playoff stories out there right now that no one is talking about is that MacTavish promised all of his "stars" (Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov) after the season ended that he wasn't going to trade them, basically gave them all a vote of confidence... but now that Chiarelli is in charge, will he feel compelled to keep the old bosses' promises?

He's definitely going to have to walk on eggshells with that one. I'm curious as to how that will play itself out, and if Chia decides to move one of them out, if he will have to deal with the fallout of guys feeling like they've been lied to.

MacT put Chia in a hell of a position, if you ask me. I mean, I'm sure MacT doesn't give a rat's patoot, but it definitely is not ideal for the new guy.

I don't think Chiarelli feels beholden to any promises MacT might have made

That ownership seems to have let him go out of the blue (Chiarelly becoming available and McDavid's reaction to Edmonton winning the lottery had a lot to do with it) makes me think they talked about this before getting him on board and I have to think Chiarelli told them "if I'm in, it's my way"

However for all we know he agrees that trading some of the young guns isn't a good idea... I think he'll be more open to trading one but I'd bet on it being Yakupov or Eberle rather than Hall or RNH

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Good thing there's no NHL team in Hearst!

He's not from Ottawa as in not born here, but he owns a condo in Claridge plaza on rideau street. He spends most of his summers here. He's even been arrested in Ottawa last year lol It's not his place of birth, but I think he considers Ottawa his home. I know he has lots of friends here, not sure about familly though. He's a good friend of my friends sister's husband (yea that's far lol) but my friend has seen him around Ottawa quite a bit because of his sister and he has autographs and all that stuff. He's also the cousin of another friend who lives in Ottawa. So I guess he does have a little bit of familly here too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVMeWPyEnV8

EDIT: There you go, that should give you a good idea ;) He actually lives in Ottawa all offseason and he has familly and friend here. Explains in detail.

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
A defenceman I can see us going after is vlasic

San Jose is looking to change its core, needs goaltending and cap flexibility. We can provide all that and send good young pieces back to boot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

San Jose is looking to change its core, needs goaltending and cap flexibility. We can provide all that and send good young pieces back to boot

I don't see SJ letting go of Vlasic. It would leave too big a hole in their D.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Vlasic is probably the player SJ wants to build around...

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
There's no way that Giroux is actually available...is there? I would be surprised if we didn't get in hard on that if it were true, but I really doubt it.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Here are a couple candidates via free agency:

Francois Beauchemin
Paul Martin
Johnny Oduya
Jan Hejda
Marek Zidlicky
Andrej Sekera[
Jeff Petry
Michael Del Zotto
Christian Erhoff
Zbynek Michalek
Mike Green

Guys who might very possibly be available via trade:

Niklas Hjalmarsson (4,1M)
Fedor Tyutin (4,5M)
Trevor Daley (3,3M)
Kyle Quincey (4,25M)
Alexei Emelin (4,1M)
Kevin Klein (2,9M)
Jay Bowmeester (5,4 M)
Roman Polak (2,75M)
Kevin Bieksa(4,6M)

Barret Jackman is UFA. Exactly the king of partner Ceci would need. I like Beauchemin too.

Again, we had all better get used to the notion that we will have to either retain salary or take back stinky contracts when making trades. The frozen cap, plus the fact that you can't bury bad contracts in the minors anymore, makes it very difficult to dump players for mid or late round picks like you could back in the day...

Hodgson is not better than Zibby or Turris. If we're going to add in our top 6, we should be adding a top talent.

Also, we have too many RH players. If we trade someone, it's probably going to be Hoffman (LH), Greening (LH), Smith (LH) or even Michalek (LH). So if we're going to be adding a player to the roster, he should be shooting left. The only player I see us trading that is RH is Chiasson.

Finally, why would we help Timmy.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Vincent Lecavalier at $4.5m
R.J. Umberger at $4.5m
Bryan Bickell at $4m
Mike Richards at $4m
Stephen Weiss at $4.9m
Mike Cammalleri at $5m
Alexander Semin at $7m

I searched through every team in the league, these are the only players that other teams might swap for Colin Greening. I don't really want any of those guys, maybe Bickell? $4m is still tough to swallow on that player.

Buyout or Europe is more likely for Greening, IMO.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
There's no way that Giroux is actually available...is there? I would be surprised if we didn't get in hard on that if it were true, but I really doubt it.

Of course not

Philly has some great D prospects

They are going to be great in the next few years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad