Proposal: 2014/2015 Season Trade Rumours and Proposals XI - Roman Numerals are fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I got the impression that he's more looking for a top line player than just a run of the mill top 6 forward even though he explicitly said he's looking for a top 6 forward.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Another top 6 forward will not make this team better than it already is. Even if its a Stamkos.

Get this team a legit top 2/3 defenseman and see how we become a serious threat.

I agree with the 2nd part for sure, but I wouldn't write off the potential impact of getting a really good forward, so long as it's not just another 2nd/3rd line 15-20 goal guy.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Why are we talking about a top 6 forward, when clearly, we lack a top 2/4 defenseman.

Look how many 20 -30 goal scorers we have on our roster..

Ryan
Turris
Hoffman
MacArthur
Stone
Zibanejad

and.. Karlsson

Chiasson, Pageau and Lazar, all can score 15 with right amount of ice-time

We also have Prince and Puempel coming up, who can score, too

You're bang on. We need an experienced defensemen, not only to make us a better team but also to help our young defensemen. We did a mistake by not signing another good veteran dmen for guys like Wiercioch,Cowen and now we need to find that player that will help Ceci reach the next level. When you invest so much in young players and especially first round picks like Ceci and Cowen, you need to give them the proper tools to succeed and I haven't seen that yet. Have been waiting for that defensemen for 3 years now? I don't understand how Murray thinks it's a good idea to have only 1 veteran defensemen on the team. Maybe he thinks Philips can be that guy? Or he knows we don't have the budget to have such a player? One things for sure, Philips is a veteran but you need one thats able to play in your top 4 IMO. Philips can be a guide but on the ice he isn't at this point of his career and thats what we need. We need a Philips from 2006.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Another top 6 forward will not make this team better than it already is. Even if its a Stamkos.

Get this team a legit top 2/3 defenseman and see how we become a serious threat.

How do you do that though, they have 8 defencemen? They would have to trade at least two to bring one D in. Nobody is going to trade for Phillips & maybe not even at the trade deadline, so we are stuck with him all of next yr. Karlsson, Methot, Ceci & Boroweicki will all be here next season, that's 5 D. So potentially they could trade one or two of Cowen, Wiercioch or Gryba, each of these guys has good & some bad with their game. But they are all big & bring something this team needs, unfortunately they are not yet complete hockey players & only Cowen has the potential IMO to be a complete hockey player of the three. I don't see them doing anything with their defence for at least until the trade deadline or at the end of next season. BTW which top 4 D is available?

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
How do you do that though, they have 8 defencemen? They would have to trade at least two to bring one D in. Nobody is going to trade for Phillips & maybe not even at the trade deadline, so we are stuck with him all of next yr. Karlsson, Methot, Ceci & Boroweicki will all be here next season, that's 5 D. So potentially they could trade one or two of Cowen, Wiercioch or Gryba, each of these guys has good & some bad with their game. But they are all big & bring something this team needs, unfortunately they are not yet complete hockey players & only Cowen has the potential IMO to be a complete hockey player of the three. I don't see them doing anything with their defence for at least until the trade deadline or at the end of next season. BTW which top 4 D is available?

That is why Murray needs to forget trading for a top 6 and focus on a top defenseman.

Cowan, Weir and Gryba could be a train wreck. With so many young Dman surrounding Ceci (as his partners), it leaves a negative effect on him, too. Ceci needs a good experience Dman who can let Ceci grow as a player and get better

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Oshie + Bouwmeester (9.575mil)

This is also a tandem I want very badly. And possibly very attainable for a good deal.

Anderson, 1st, Puempel, Michalek or something of the sort.

Lazar + Anderson + 1st

Lazar for Turris and they pull trigger tbh.

As good as Turris is, I still make that trade. Lehner instead of Anderson perhaps.

MacArthur-RNH-Ryan
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Stone

Would be a disgusting top 6. RNH would be an 80 point center with us, IMO.

I got the impression that he's more looking for a top line player than just a run of the mill top 6 forward even though he explicitly said he's looking for a top 6 forward.

I agree. Another Bobby Ryan type acquisition.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I love Turris but the more I think about it, the more I believe RNH on this team would be absolutely lethal. The number 1 C we been looking for who'd be perfect for Ryan and would create disgusting 1/2 with Zibanejad.

1st, Turris, Anderson/Lehner

RNH to me is Giroux just waiting to happen.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Im not sure im as enthusiastic about RNH as you guys

i would keep turris in a trade for him. There just isnt going to be a super super big difference production wise.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

i would keep turris in a trade for him. There just isnt going to be a super super big difference production wise.

Same here, very similar player. Turris is on an steal of a contract too and he is great defensively and still very young. Maybe lower ceiling but for the price RNH would cost I'd keep Turris and look for a bigger upgrade somewhere else.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
That is why Murray needs to forget trading for a top 6 and focus on a top defenseman.

Cowan, Weir and Gryba could be a train wreck. With so many young Dman surrounding Ceci (as his partners), it leaves a negative effect on him, too. Ceci needs a good experience Dman who can let Ceci grow as a player and get better
Because they are so easy to get :laugh:Another top 6 forward is alot easier to obtain than a top dman .:nod:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Because they are so easy to get :laugh:Another top 6 forward is alot easier to obtain than a top dman .:nod:

How does that change the need of a top 4 defensemen? If a defensemen is harder to get and you need one you get a top 6 forward instead? Doesn't make any sense at all. We needed a top 4 defensemen for 3 years now, there was not opportunity in all those years to get one?

Top 6 forwards like Bobby Ryan are harder to get than a guy like I Sekera, Erhoff,Coburn or whoever that can stabilize our defense and play top 4 minutes. If Murray could make a trade fo Ryan, theres no reason he can't get a second pairing defensemen with experience.You think that with a package similar to Silfverberg,Noesen,1rst we can't get a top pairing defensemen or what?? We have plenty of assets we could deal for a defensemen and that would help us a LOT more than another top 6 forward. Look at our forward group, why the hell do we need another top 6 player before a defensemen?

Listen to Murray's interview for the past 2 seasons, he doesn't think we need another defensemen. Forget about the fact that they are hard to get or not, Murray doesn't think we even need one. If Murray felt the need of a defensemen he would go and get one, doesn't matter hoe much they cost because you need them to succeed. You can have a solid top 6 and no defense and you'll be in trouble, ask the Dallas Stars. Murray has signed defensemen before,he did it with Gonchar (2 years 5.5M, not cheap eh?) but it helped us a lot. There is no relation between us not getting a defensemen and that they are hard to get. Murray simply doesn't feel the need for one.

The other thing is that we need a good experienced defensemen to provide some guidance and help to young players like Ceci. By getting another top 4 like Erhoff per example will not only make us better as a team, but it will help the young guys like Ceci. We already have MacArthur,Ryan,Michalek that are experieced player up front and atleast two of them are regularly in our top 6. But those things aren't important, top 6 are easier to get.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Well then, the next time my car needs an oil change, I will refill windshield washer instead, because that is easier to do..
Name a defenseman that will fit into this teams budget ??The type of two way defender we need just wont be available for the price we would be willing to pay .Iam thinking the will remain status quo ,and hope one of our young defenders takes another step .

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Same here. Plus, RNH is pretty much the only guy in the league skinnier than Turris. And RNH has already had a few shoulder issues. Not nearly as durable as Turris.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Name a defenseman that will fit into this teams budget ??The type of two way defender we need just wont be available for the price we would be willing to pay .Iam thinking the will remain status quo ,and hope one of our young defenders takes another step .

By that do you mean by free agency or by trade?

Because if it is by free agency, then a top 6 forward that's 25-28 years old that plays on a first line, these guys don't make it to free agency most of the time, and If they do they cost 6M-7M. This is just relativity, a top line forward will cost you as much money as a top 4 defensemen or within the same range atleast via free agency. I don't think Murray wants to get a top 6 forward via free agency so I'll assume you are talking about trade value. Then again, the trade value for a top line player will be very similar to the price of a top defensemen depending on age. The price we will pay for a top 6 forward, by free agency or by trade, will be the same price we would be paying for a defensemen of similar quality.

Here are a couple candidates via free agency:

Francois Beauchemin
Paul Martin
Johnny Oduya
Jan Hejda
Marek Zidlicky
Andrej Sekera
Jeff Petry
Michael Del Zotto
Christian Erhoff
Zbynek Michalek

Mike Green

The bolded ones are the ones that fit the bill for our needs. Salary wise we are talking from 5-6M probably for most of these guys (not all).Which would be the same price we'd pay for a top 6 forward via free agency.

Guys who might very possibly be available via trade:

Niklas Hjalmarsson (4,1M)
Fedor Tyutin (4,5M)
Trevor Daley (3,3M)
Kyle Quincey (4,25M)
Alexei Emelin (4,1M)
Kevin Klein (2,9M)
Jay Bowmeester (5,4 M)
Roman Polak (2,75M)
Kevin Bieksa(4,6M)

Some of these guys easier to get than others, but with a package similar to what you would trade for a top 6 forward, I don't think any of them is out of reach. Hjalmarsson and Bowmeester are probably the ones that would cost the most. Almost all of these guys are on very reasonable contracts I'd say.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Fedor Tyutin (4,5M)
Trevor Daley (3,3M)
Kyle Quincey (4,25M)
Alexei Emelin (4,1M)
Kevin Klein (2,9M)
Jay Bowmeester (5,4 M)
Roman Polak (2,75M)
Kevin Bieksa(4,6M)

I'm fairly sure I read that Chicago have flat out said they aren't moving Hjalmarsson, and I can't see the Habs moving on from Emelin when you consider how obsessed they have been to add muscle over the last year and a half. Detroit just fully committed to Quincey and he's played well for them, so I doubt that's a go either.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
By that do you mean by free agency or by trade?

Because if it is by free agency, then a top 6 forward that's 25-28 years old that plays on a first line, these guys don't make it to free agency most of the time, and If they do they cost 6M-7M. This is just relativity, a top line forward will cost you as much money as a top 4 defensemen or within the same range atleast via free agency. I don't think Murray wants to get a top 6 forward via free agency so I'll assume you are talking about trade value. Then again, the trade value for a top line player will be very similar to the price of a top defensemen depending on age. The price we will pay for a top 6 forward, by free agency or by trade, will be the same price we would be paying for a defensemen of similar quality.

Here are a couple candidates via free agency:

Francois Beauchemin
Paul Martin
Johnny Oduya
Jan Hejda
Marek Zidlicky
Andrej Sekera
Jeff Petry
Michael Del Zotto
Christian Erhoff
Zbynek Michalek

Mike Green

The bolded ones are the ones that fit the bill for our needs. Salary wise we are talking from 5-6M probably for most of these guys (not all).Which would be the same price we'd pay for a top 6 forward via free agency.

Fedor Tyutin (4,5M)
Trevor Daley (3,3M)
Kyle Quincey (4,25M)
Alexei Emelin (4,1M)
Kevin Klein (2,9M)
Jay Bowmeester (5,4 M)
Roman Polak (2,75M)
Kevin Bieksa(4,6M)

Some of these guys easier to get than others, but with a package similar to what you would trade for a top 6 forward, I don't think any of them is out of reach. Hjalmarsson and Bowmeester are probably the ones that would cost the most.
Those list ,s are exactly what i mean ,none of those defensemen would be worth the assets to aquire or the money we would have to spend to get any of them .Defensemen are always a hot commodity good ones are almost unatainable ,decent forwards always seem to be available though.So it does make more sense to beef up our offense even more ,and hope someone in the system can progress into a top 4 role

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I'm fairly sure I read that Chicago have flat out said they aren't moving Hjalmarsson, and I can't see the Habs moving on from Emelin when you consider how obsessed they have been to add muscle over the last year and a half. Detroit just fully committed to Quincey and he's played well for them, so I doubt that's a go either.
Yep ,i want a dman as much as the next guy ,but i can see BM reasoning into wanting another top end forward.Quality defenders are usually drafted and developed.Forwards ,not including top line centers.Are generally more easier to obtain .

Adding a guy like Eberle or an Oshie ,to our top nine .Would give us one of the deepest forward core in the league ,thus using offense as defense:nod:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

You might be right on Hjlamarsson, but with 5M left to sign 10 players, they'll have to let Oduya, Timonen and other players walk or trade a player which is my reasoning behind Hjalmarsson or Oduya. They may not trade him, we can't be sure of that but that's just what happens when a team is in cap trouble, they may trade good players with good value just like Boston did with Boychuk, or like Chicago did themselves with Leddy. Add on top of that that he's been mentionned in rumors quite a bit but you take that for what it's worth.

Emelin will be traded I'm almost 100% positive about that, I follow Montreal quite a bit so I can tell you that with Markov with two years left, Beaulieu playing on the top 4 (in front of Emelin) and Jarred Tinordi coming up, they will most likely trade Emelin.Montreal has more than enough defensemen that are younger and just as physical as Emelin like you are insuing and already equally better to Emelin (Tinordi is extremely physical). Tinordi is more than ready to make the jump and Emelin is seeing a more and more limited role with Montreal, won't be a suprise to see him traded.

As for Quincey, he signed a two year deal in 2014, which leaves him as a UFA after next season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go a the deadline depending on how Dekeyser plays out. As it stands today, Dekeyser has already a more important role on Detroits roster and they also have Kronwall on the left side. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go with the expanded role of Dekeyser and especially if the defensemen market stays as good. By giving him only 2 years, you have to think on how much they really see him in their future plans.

I think you understand that not all of these defensemen will be traded, these are not facts but just options that could happen, these players could very well not be traded but out of the 9 defensemen I named, I am positiive that some of them will change teams at some point either this summer or next season for different reasons. Some for performance reasons, some for cap trouble and some because they are just expandable. Again, not all these players will move, but some of them will and it's why I wrote might.

Last edited:

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I love Turris but the more I think about it, the more I believe RNH on this team would be absolutely lethal. The number 1 C we been looking for who'd be perfect for Ryan and would create disgusting 1/2 with Zibanejad.

1st, Turris, Anderson/Lehner

RNH to me is Giroux just waiting to happen.

Whispers (Specter) say Giroux could be available

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Same here. Plus, RNH is pretty much the only guy in the league skinnier than Turris. And RNH has already had a few shoulder issues. Not nearly as durable as Turris.

I laughed when oiler fans said he bulkled up and he was still skinner then turris by ten pounds. Turris is 3 years older though

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Whispers (Specter) say Giroux could be available

Time for Claude Giroux to triumphantly come back to his hometown.

I mean, why would he want to play anywhere else? Answer: he wouldn't. Every star player wants to play in their hometown, it's destiny. I learned that from Flyers fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad