Proposal: 2014/2015 Season Trade Rumours and Proposals XI - Roman Numerals are fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSG1165

Sep 9, 2010
Ottawa
Gotta fix the D and try to trim the deadweight. Won't be easy to add with all the new contracts starting next year, but I'm hoping for one Top 4 D.

Deadweight:

Smith
Legwand
Greening
Cowen
Gryba
Weircoch
Phillips
Neil

Melgene Eunyk

Mar 29, 2015
Biggest need is a top 4 pmd to play with Ceci. Try to trade away some of the deadweight for picks, and package Cowen, Chiasson and a pick for D-man. If not by trade, use the money saved in removing deadweight to sign Sekera.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Gotta fix the D and try to trim the deadweight. Won't be easy to add with all the new contracts starting next year, but I'm hoping for one Top 4 D.

Deadweight:

Smith
Legwand
Greening
Cowen
Gryba
Weircoch
Phillips
Neil

Besides legwand and wiercioch. That is a lot of dead weight to be paying. "Small insignificant contracts though"

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.

Deadweight:

Smith
Legwand
Greening
Cowen
Gryba
Weircoch
Phillips
Neil

At this point, I'm fine with Wiercioch. At times, he's shown what he can do this year, and I'd like to give him one more chance to put it all together.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
At this point, I'm fine with Wiercioch. At times, he's shown what he can do this year, and I'd like to give him one more chance to put it all together.

third pairing though, depending on who we decide to keep out of (cowen/wiercioch/gryba) they need to be on our bottom pairing so hopefully we get a legit defenceman

i really would prefer two defenceman and move ceci down to the bottom pairing as well

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Resign Condra
Resign Hammond

Buyout Greening and Phillips
Trade Smith, Gryba, Cowen, Lehner.

Get a D in trade with assets above. Sign UFA D.

Hoffman Zibanejad Ryan
Michakek Turris Stone
MacArthur Pageau Condra
Puempel Lazar Chiasson
Prince Legwand Neil

Methot - Karlsson
UFA/Trade - Ceci/UFA/Trade
Wiercioch/Boro -Ceci/trade/UFA

Anderson
Hammond

That is a contending team with depth.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
We need a good veteran defensemen to play in our top 4 NOW. I don't know what'll happen with Cowen but if it's not him that needs some support it will be Ceci. Let's be serious, Patrick ''Spaghetti'' Wiercioch is not a top 4 defensemen and personally IMO will never be. We need a guy that can help Ceci round up his game and that's not Wiercioch.

I'd like to see this:

Methot - Karlsson
(UFA)Beauchemin/Erhoff/etc - Ceci
Borowiecki - Wideman/Gryba

Claesson
Phillips

Wiercioch, I'd trade him, I feel like he's just too slow to play his role on the team. A soft as butter offensive defensemen that can't skate and that can't use his size. That seems like a weird combination. Cowen is a tough guy to play against, huge, can provide some offense from time to time but has no brains. What we need is Wiercioch in a Cowen body. If this management would've been smarter we could've got a veteran presence for Cowen 3 years ago and maybe he would be a much better defensemen at this point because he has all the tools and he just needs to put them to work like he has done in his rookie season. I'd personally like to keep Cowen but we'd need to get a better defensemen to play with him and to support him and unfortunately I don't think it will happen. Boro has his spot on the team and he's a keeper for sure and then you have Claesson who could step in right as of next season but he's also almost a unidimentional defensive defensemen. One thing is clear in my mind, we can't have a combination of 2 of these 3 on a pair: Cowen,Wiercioch,Ceci.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
I just love how everyone wants to get rid of our "dead weight" without having to take anything back.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Resign Condra
Resign Hammond

Hoffman Zibanejad Ryan
Michakek Turris Stone
MacArthur Pageau Condra
Puempel Lazar Chiasson
Prince Legwand Neil

Methot - Karlsson

Anderson
Hammond

chiasson needs to go, especially if we resign condra. Chiasson is on of those players that cant really be on your checking line he needs to be in on a better line but he might not have that opportunity here in ottawa

plus side is that with his upside he is one of our tradeable assets that can return good value

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
chiasson needs to go, especially if we resign condra. Chiasson is on of those players that cant really be on your checking line he needs to be in on a better line but he might not have that opportunity here in ottawa

plus side is that with his upside he is one of our tradeable assets that can return good value

I'd be really curious to know his value. Based on his play for the past 2 seasons other than his first 10 games where he scored 1/3 of his NHL goals, he's been very dissapointing. On the other side, 155 GP - 68 points is very reasonable and a team could look at how tall he his and figuring out he produces at 0,44PPG at this point that he could only get better. The problem is really when you start looking at games, hopefully nobody looks at games :laugh: .

flyal13

Nov 9, 2013
Ottawa
Resign Condra
Resign Hammond

Hoffman Zibanejad Ryan
Michakek Turris Stone
MacArthur Pageau Condra
Puempel Lazar Chiasson
Prince Legwand Neil

Methot - Karlsson

Anderson
Hammond

I think you should consider Wideman in the AHL for that 3rd pair RD.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I'd be really curious to know his value. Based on his play for the past 2 seasons other than his first 10 games where he scored 1/3 of his NHL goals, he's been very dissapointing. On the other side, 155 GP - 68 points is very reasonable and a team could look at how tall he his and figuring out he produces at 0,44PPG at this point that he could only get better. The problem is really when you start looking at games, hopefully nobody looks at games :laugh: .

:laugh: agreed just dont look at his games on a consistent basis

hopefully we can pick and choose and create a highlight tape to trade him

i think chiassons value is probably around a 2nd round pick right now, so not great (considering we got him in the spezza deal) but its good enough that we can use him to upgrade the team

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think management will stay the course again for next yr until they are able to move some of their vet contracts. I'm not convinced that any other team will trade for Legwand, Neil, Phillips or Greening this summer, I think they are all trade deadline rental players & Greening will probably get bought out. Some of the other younger players could be traded at the draft to move up or for picks or in a package if one presents itself, but I would guess they start next season with most of the same players. Condra is the one guy that I'm not sure if they will re-sign or not, he has certainly earned it but is there room on this roster or future plans for him?

I think they would like to see what they have in some of their younger players who will be playing in Bingo next season to see if any of them could potentially play in Ottawa sooner rather than later. Puempel, Robinson, Paul, Lindberg, Harpur & Wikstrand could all have the potential to be Ottawa Senators sooner rather than later & push some guys out. I'd be surprised if there is much movement from this 23 man roster to start next yr, if they are all healthy to play. this includes whether they sign any UFAs, but you never know, it should be a very interesting summer to watch & see.

Michalek - Turris - Stone
Z. Smith - Zibanejad - Ryan - Smith & Hoffman could take turns between lines
MacArthur - Pageau - Chiasson
Hoffman - Legwand - Lazar/Neil

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Boroweicki - Gryba/Cowen/Phillips

Anderson - Lehner

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Aragorn

Neil

I think you will see the Leafs try and get him there are some that say they made a mistake getting rid of the likes of Orr.

Legwand

There will be some interest the issue is the return would not be much.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Jason2020

Isn't orr with the marlies? Guys like him have no business in the NHL. Neil is not going to toronto.
There would be no issue with the return on legwand. The issue is the lack of interest in his contract.

Last edited:

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Don't need anything back for these guys. The roster space is the most important thing. Take something in the future. Greening, Smith, Legwand, Neil - open up 4 roster spots if possible. Phillips can just retire for a 5th.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Don't need anything back for these guys. The roster space is the most important thing. Take something in the future. Greening, Smith, Legwand, Neil - open up 4 roster spots if possible. Phillips can just retire for a 5th.

question would you guys take back a contract if said deal frees up a roster spot

someone like a gorges,clowe or burrows, we can package 2 of those guys in any potential deal. The 3 players have value for us and the other team gets to get out of a longer contract commitment. Buffalo needs some nhl bodies for next year and new jersey needs all the help they can get in terms of forwards so they bank on the our players bounceing back

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Jason2020

Isn't orr with the marlies? Guys like him have no business in the NHL. Neil is not going to toronto.
There would be no issue with the return on legwand. The issue is the lack of interest in his contract.

I could be wrong but I though Orr was gone not with the Leafs at all.

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
Jason2020

Orr wasn't even good enough for the Marlies, I think they stopped playing him earlier in the season.

The Jangle Meister*

Xxx-zib-ryan
xxx-turris-stone
mac-xxx-xxx
hoff-pag-lazar

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
:laugh: agreed just dont look at his games on a consistent basis

hopefully we can pick and choose and create a highlight tape to trade him

i think chiassons value is probably around a 2nd round pick right now, so not great (considering we got him in the spezza deal) but its good enough that we can use him to upgrade the team

Haha that'd be great! Yea well the thing is this draft is very deep and I'd gladly take a 2nd for him given the fact that we dont need him in the lineup or we don't really need anybody to replace him either since we have Condra that's very effective on the 3rd line and then Neil/Robinson the 4rth line. I feel like Robinson could easily do what Chiasson is doing with the team and he derserves a shot too. I am actually surprised that he didn't get a shot yet this season with how Chiasson has played. I'd be nice to package him in a deal for a top 6 forward or even a good veteran defensemen but If ever the opportunity is not there I'd love to get another 2nd if he can in fact return that. Depending on where that pick will be there is a lot of guys I'd pick in the 2nd like Juulsen,Carlsson, Fischer, Roslovic and many more that will have much more upside than Chia IMO.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Xxx-zib-ryan
xxx-turris-stone
mac-xxx-xxx
hoff-pag-lazar
Let's see if we can fill in some these blanks with in-house solutions. I think it's safe to say there's still a bit of room for growth for Hoffman even though he's not a very young rookie, and I'm happy to slot in Michalek back on that second line if he can play like he did before his latest injury:

Hoff - Ziba - Ryan <- all three of these players can still get better (in Ryan's case simply by being healthy)
Michalek - Turris - Stone
Mac Arthur- Da Costa - Condra <- cue Da Costa anger backlash :D
Puempel - Pageau - Lazar

bonus line:

Prince - Smith/Legwand - Chiasson
Neil

That's 4 very solid young lines that can still keep getting better, and even with some depth to spare. It's the defense that needs reinforcement from outside the org IMO.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Xxx-zib-ryan
xxx-turris-stone
mac-xxx-xxx
hoff-pag-lazar

I think moving Mac up to the top 6, and that 4th line becoming the 3rd line is certainly the makings of a playoff top 9, if we can get another high end LW, we are really moving in the right direction fast.

That will be tough though with all the vets we signed who remain on the team. In the mean time, platooning one of Michalek or Chiasson in there, while letting the 4th line be a mix of veterans (Greening, Smith, Neil, Legwand etc), is certainly a solid top 4 lines with depth, not to mention Prince and Puempel knocking on the door. We won't be a Cup contender next year, but we'll be a good challenger for the playoffs. The year after, pretty much all of those vets come off the books and that will be the year to perhaps target a higher end UFA to take the forwards to the next level, while Prince and / or Puempel will definitely be part of the team by then. Hopefully some of the younger guys have stepped up so that 3rd line feels more like a legit scoring line.

What we need in the next two years is the top two scoring lines to move from scoring 60 goals per year, to perhaps 70 or 75. If your top two lines can get you 70 goals, and a third line 50, you are basically one of the highest scoring teams in the league, and a legit cup contender.

If the goaltending is still solid and a few of the young guys have stepped up to solidify the 2nd pairing, we're off and running. We definitely need another year of younger guys developing though. In particular on D.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I just love how everyone wants to get rid of our "dead weight" without having to take anything back.

said it elsewhere - probably have to package potential with a contract. Something like Chiasson and Smith for a pick. Michalek and Greening. Neil and Legwand.

Would be my guess anyway. Some teams will need an influx to get to the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad