Rumor: 2014/2015 Season Trade Rumours and Proposals VIII - The Road to Tradelemania

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
My point still stands. You are predicting the future, which is completely unwritten right now.

So we can't make predictions because we don't know 100% what will happen. I don't get it.
He's making a prediction based on his knowledge of the sport and his knowledge of other teams around us. It's an estimation

If he were to say. " we are winning the draft lottery, I guarentee it" okay then you can say whatever. But he's not. He's looking at our team. And other teams. And predicting our paths. Seems fair. And everyone does it. I'm sure you've made some sort of predictions on here before.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
So we can't make predictions because we don't know 100% what will happen. I don't get it.
He's making a prediction based on his knowledge of the sport and his knowledge of other teams around us. It's an estimation

If he were to say. " we are winning the draft lottery, I guarentee it" okay then you can say whatever. But he's not. He's looking at our team. And other teams. And predicting our paths. Seems fair. And everyone does it. I'm sure you've made some sort of predictions on here before.

I don't make predictions at all. I just go with the flow.

Making predictions is pointless.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I'm curious to see how Stafford will be used in Winnipeg... for some reason I think of him as a top line winger but I think that's because of EHM lol.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Let's look at the division

Tampa, Montreal, Boston, Detroit are all a clear cut above us although Montreal without Price isn't that much better than us but still better and deeper pockets

Florida is on up the swing and is already quite a bit better than us

Toronto and Buffalo are only two teams worse than us and Buffalo will be adding Kane and McEichel to their lineup next year

We are completely screwed

We are nowhere near a bubble team right now and our division just got better (starting next year). This team is going to need a serious boost very soon or else we're going to be a cellar team for a while
Well a cellar team drafts great players. This is what we need a few years ago.

Turns out trading fisher kelly and campoli wasn't the key to future success, and not an actual rebuild.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don't make predictions at all. I just go with the flow.

Making predictions is useless.

Ok, if we go with the flow, we will be a bottom feeder, as that what time is telling us right now. No point in predicting that we will get better, making predictions is useless.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I have no idea what makes you say that? Because another team made a trade? lol or because we "missed out" on Kane? I personally think it was a good thing. Would have hated to see Hoffman, Puempel and a 2nd (at least) go for Kane.

Kane is all name hype with huge red flags and the package given up was more than Bobby Ryan

Let them draft a high end young player in the upcoming draft and you'll see next year. This team is about to break out

I'm not as optimistic about this team's future

That's two years in a row I expect them to push and two years in a row they absolutely suck

I think the honest truth is that this team just isn't anywhere near good enough and needs a ton more skill injected in the roster

They are trending upwards but too slowly, this team isn't keeping up with the division

since92

May 9, 2011
I'm not upset we missed out on Kane/Bogo That return is equal to a signed Methot (Myers), MacArthur (Stafford), Puempel (Armia), Paul (Lemieux), 2x2nds (1st).

Assuming we had to trade for both to remain in the bid, we lose that trade hands down. Bogo is declining. Kane's attitude, his game even. Kane needs the puck, he doesn't make his line mates better. He tries to barrel through the opposing team solo. That's why he was on the 3rd line in WPG. Nice for depth offence but we were penciling him on our top line. ... Would he fit, IDK?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Buffalo has so many legit forward prospects they probably won't miss the guys they traded.
They are drafting mcdavid or eichel. They will be a very good team soon. With Kane on the top line.

since92

May 9, 2011

That's two years in a row I expect them to push and two years in a row they absolutely suck

I think the honest truth is that this team just isn't anywhere near good enough and needs a ton more skill injected in the roster

They are trending upwards but too slowly, this team isn't keeping up with the division

This team isn't ready to take the next step anyways. Cake needs more time in the oven. Keep drafting and developing and everything will work out in the end. There will be other Ryan's or Kane's that will come available as the dominos fall. Hall, Eberle, Ror, might be available closer to the deadline. At this point I'd just like to see us sell off our vets and upgrade our seconds into firsts. Resign Methot.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
The Jets seemed to have made out pretty well out of their precarious situation.

The Sabres will have a ton of prospects still because they've bottomed out at least two times now.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Let's look at the division

Tampa, Montreal, Boston, Detroit are all a clear cut above us although Montreal without Price isn't that much better than us but still better and deeper pockets

Florida is on up the swing and is already quite a bit better than us

Toronto and Buffalo are only two teams worse than us and Buffalo will be adding Kane and McEichel to their lineup next year

We are completely screwed

We are nowhere near a bubble team right now and our division just got better (starting next year). This team is going to need a serious boost very soon or else we're going to be a cellar team for a while

Honestly, I think this team can suprise next year. We've played most of the year without our #2 D. For this team to start winning games, all we need is for the PP to come around, which imo is realistic with minor tweaks. One big thing I've noticed is the PP, while not as succesful under Cameron, has been doing a much better job of entering the zone with control and stting up lately.

With no major changes going into next season, I still expect us to be a bubble team, regardless of our not playing to that level this season. If we lose Methot and don't replace him though, well expect us to be terrible again.

Now, that said, I expect Lazar to start in Bingo next year, I also wouldn't be surprised if any of Neil, Phillips, Smith, Legwand or Wiercioch get moved at this years deadline. I also fully expect us to target one UFA or trade acquisition in the offseason, especially if we have a new GM looking to make his mark.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think you might be overstating

Cowen sure - similar to Myers although slightly lower value
CMac not really - Stafford is a UFA so different commodity.
One of Puempel/Prince = Armia
Lemieux = non blue chip CHL
And an early 2nd isn't that far off a late first - maybe add a later pick

Cowen isn't close to Myers value not even remotely close.

Ottawa couldn't match that offer.

Good trade for both teams wont know the winner for probably close to 10 years.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Honestly, I think this team can suprise next year. We've played most of the year without our #2 D. For this team to start winning games, all we need is for the PP to come around, which imo is realistic with minor tweaks. One big thing I've noticed is the PP, while not as succesful under Cameron, has been doing a much better job of entering the zone with control and stting up lately.

With no major changes going into next season, I still expect us to be a bubble team, regardless of our not playing to that level this season. If we lose Methot and don't replace him though, well expect us to be terrible again.

Now, that said, I expect Lazar to start in Bingo next year, I also wouldn't be surprised if any of Neil, Phillips, Smith, Legwand or Wiercioch get moved at this years deadline. I also fully expect us to target one UFA or trade acquisition in the offseason, especially if we have a new GM looking to make his mark.

I don't expect any surprising result next year. I think this team will not be bubble team next year, but will be a bottom third team again.

I hope a new GM is brought in ASAP to clean out the old declining veterans (Phillips, Neil, Legwand, Michalek if anyone will take them) and bring in the new players that will gain experience and develop. Its past the time to rebuild (the current GM did not do a complete job of that), but rebuild is what is required to get the highly skilled prospects that this team requires to become a playoff team and a future Stanley Cup contender. Keeping old veterans who can no longer play a major role "on the ice" around is not the long term solution.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

We are not keeping Methot unless he agrees to 4.5 or so per which he won't: look at Carolina, they are in a very similar position with Sekera and they are not going to pay him because they are smart about it. The Rangers paid Staal because they can afford to and because they are a great team that I think is contender worthy.

I'm done thinking this team is finally going to break through, we keep losing talent and important players. The players bought into their own hype going into this season and once it was clear they weren't living up to it things completely unravelled

This team and franchise would do good in accepting that they suck and stop trying to build themselves up to something they aren't. We currently suck and that's fine, we were great for a long time; but getting the younger players to buy into the baseless hype only creates this giant mess and hurts morale once reality hits.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Sens depth = below average
Sens talent = below average

I can see the depth improving over the next few years to average or above average. As of right now we don't have the talent in the organization to even get to average. Obviously this years 1st will change my opinion on this.

We've got 3 of 6 building blocks.

#1 center = No one at the moment. Only potential for this to be filled is from Zibanejad(far from certain) and the top 10 pick.

#2 center = Turris. Potentially Zibanejad or Lazar.

#1 winger = Bobby Ryan.

#1 dman = Erik Karlsson.

#2 dman = No one at the moment. Potentially filled by Ceci, Cowen(highly doubt it), this years 1st rounder.

#1 goalie = Is Anderson considered a #1 goalie building block? I don't think he's consistent enough for this title. Lehner has the potential but has a ways to go still.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Buffalo has so many legit forward prospects they probably won't miss the guys they traded.
They are drafting mcdavid or eichel. They will be a very good team soon. With Kane on the top line.

Armia and Lemieux will be replaced in this years draft. Or next years. Or the one after that. You're guarenteed a draft every year.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I dunno... 4 years rebuilding, losing veterans every year (Kuba, Gonchar, Alfie, Spezza)

2011-12 : 4th offensive team, made the playoffs, lost in a tight 7 games series against the Rangers, a top team.

2012-13 : made the playoffs despite missing a lot of key players all season, were 2nd or 3rd in GA, beat the Habs easily in 5 games (easy matchup for us), got destroyed by Pittsburgh.

2013-14 : many things went wrong, Spezza and Michalek sucked, many young players regressed or had sophomore slumps, Karlsson was not at top of his game, same for Ryan who was injured... Most important was that they lost both ALFIE and Gonchar... That's a lot of poise and experience to lose in 1 off-season. Yet they "absolutely sucked" like you said, but still got 88 pts and finished 5 pts out of a playoffs spot. 3 or 4 more wins and they would have made them.

2014-15 : another big loss, this time an offensive catalyst in Jason Spezza. The guy thought he needed a change of scenery and was not ready to wait a few years for a chance at a Cup as he is in his prime years (now or never for him). Unfortunately for him, I don't think the Stars are going to win anytime soon. This team was a bubble playoffs team at best this season... Most inexperienced and less expensive team, injuries to guys like Methot and Andy are big for that club. And the coach who had a bit of success in the first 3 seasons LOST the room.

In my opinion, the 2012-13 season (playing ONLY against the East) gave a false illusion to this fanbase that they were closer to contending than they were. All the problem comes from here : expectations. Reality is that he takes a bit of time to get back to that contender status... Being a bigger market ($) would help obviously

From my POV, I see a team that is rebuilding properly (well, maybe not a la top sucakge like Edmonton, so no forget about the high draft picks. Success will come with the guys gotten elsewhere (via trade or a bit later in the draft) like Ryan, Karlsson, Turris, Zibanejad, Lehner, Hoffman, Ceci, Lazar, Stone, etc.

This team has a TON of very good young pieces. A top-line center (could it be Zibanejad?) a #2 D-man and a boatload of experience could do wonders for this young group.

Letting guys like Volchenkov, Kuba, Gonchar, Alfredsson and Spezza was the right thing to do if you eventually want to rebuild. I think it was a good thing to NOT lose them all at the same time (that's dangerous, ala Buffalo or Edmonton). Look at the age of those guys and where they are now... Spezza could have been kept a bit longer ideally but he was an upcoming UFA so it was we commit big $ to him or get value for him before it's too late.

The Jets seemed to have made out pretty well out of their precarious situation.

The Sabres will have a ton of prospects still because they've bottomed out at least two times now.

3rd year in a row they are at the bottom of the standings and will end up with another loser consolation prize. Haven't won a round since 2006-07 and didn't make the playoffs since 2010-11

The talk about Buffalo around here (not necessarily talking about you) reminds me of "at least Oilers know how to tank and have legit talent, they will be better than Senators in no time"

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
All I'm saying is that it's two seasons that I think I have reasonnable expectations: to push for a playoff sport

Not even make them, just be in the race

Instead we absolutely suck, two years in a row that this team can't play proper hockey

Spezza and Alfdresson bailing out of nowhere were huge blows but I'm done thinking "we're trending upwards and getting better defensively, things are going well"

This team needs to take a good look in the mirror and accept the reality: the Ottawa Senators are a ****ing terrible hockey team and until they get some serious help, be it via trade or the draft, they will remain awful

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Murray or the Next GM should be open for business now

Legwand, Michelak , Cowen, MacArthur ,Philips , Neil and Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad